Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Arsenal update
Dumpshock Forums > Discussion > Shadowrun
Shrike30
From the shadowrunrpg livejournal feed:
--------------------------------------------
Ding dong, the witch is dead — Arsenal Update

I’m sitting on the couch watching a brainless movie, and for the first time in weeks, I don’t feel guilty about relaxing. Why? On the other side of the room, Arsenal is being uploaded to our printer.

This, as someone who has been working on this book for a few months — after it was in writing/editing/development for so long I can’t accurately remember when it started — provides a huge amount of relief. It’s a great book and I’m tremendously happy with how it turned out, but I’d be a liar if I said that I wasn’t sick of looking at it, for now.

Now that it’s sent to the printer, we’ll get the proof copy back sometime in the next week or so, and after that it will print and ship to our warehouse, at which time we’ll announce a street date. We’re having a meeting tomorrow to talk about the PDF release date, and what other work I can fit into the next week, before I take a short vacation — the first vacation I’ve had since 2004 that won’t involve a game convention.

Of course, we’ll be posting previews from Arsenal over the coming weeks … and on my TODO list for the next week are a few website updates and touchups.
--------------------------------------------

Honestly, I can't remember *who* posts to that feed... but thanks, man. smile.gif
Cain
You've been scooped, dude.
Synner
QUOTE (Shrike30 @ Jan 18 2008, 06:36 AM)
Honestly, I can't remember *who* posts to that feed... but thanks, man. smile.gif

The poster is always identified at the end of the post. It's typically Rob, myself, or more usually than not our layout artist and webman extraordinaire Adam.
Fortune
QUOTE (Synner)
... webman extraordinaire Adam ...

Spidey in a kilt? eek.gif biggrin.gif
Adam
All the better for exposure.
Ryu
Endorsing certain "hot" bits of cyberware from augmentation?
Riley37
Does it include stats for a teleportal projection device? Those are popular recently. smile.gif
Trax
WooHoo! Finally the book that I've been waiting for since Augmentation came out.

I can't wait to get my hands on all the new toys. Well...read about it, since I doubt I'll be playing in a game where I can get my hands on the more expensive/high profile weapons.
Shrike30
THAT'S no fun. The occasional security guard with a laser rifle is always amusing!
Stahlseele
this valid?
Gear Up!

When corpsec is raining lead down on your head, a wardrobe malfunction will get you dead. To survive against gangs, syndicates, and megacorps, shadowrunners need the best gear they can make, buy, or steal. Arsenal covers everything a runner team needs, from weapons and armor to advanced electronics and spy toys to the latest state-of-the-art drones. It also covers the intricacies of the black market and drug trade and provides advanced rules for combat and martial arts, mixing your own chemicals and explosives, and modifying your weapons and vehicles.
Fortune
Sounds good to me. smile.gif
Kyoto Kid
...mmmmmm...mixing explosives.... grinbig.gif
Shrike30
I'm still hoping for powered armor, but that's just my personal bent smile.gif
Cardul
QUOTE (Trax)
WooHoo! Finally the book that I've been waiting for since Augmentation came out.

I can't wait to get my hands on all the new toys. Well...read about it, since I doubt I'll be playing in a game where I can get my hands on the more expensive/high profile weapons.

Not quite out yet! We still have to wait a few more weeks frown.gif So it is not "finally", anything can happen still..the Printer could get attacked by a horde of Zombies just as they are getting ready to send the books out..the trucks could be jacked by rabid shadowrun fans from Canada, or who knows what else.
CrystalBlue
Wait...isn't that how corporate extraterritorlity happened? O.O;;

And even if that happened...they still have PDF's. Sweet, sweet pixels...
Trax
QUOTE (Cardul @ Jan 23 2008, 05:48 AM)
  Not quite out yet! We still have to wait a few more weeks frown.gif So it is not "finally", anything can happen still..the Printer could get attacked by a horde of Zombies just as they are getting ready to send the books out..the trucks could be jacked by rabid shadowrun fans from Canada, or who knows what else.

I'm holding you personally responsible.

Then again, I'm one of those Canadians. So I'd just be getting it sooner than everyone else.
BFaolan
You're not supposed to give us evil Canucks ideas...

nuyen.gif
D Minor
It's too late for them to stop us Canucks anyways. But if you Americans steal one more beer company, It will be war. We have sleepers everywhere. smokin.gif
Ancient History
I call dibs on Shatner.

There's some really fun stuff in Arsenal. I suspect y'all will seriously enjoy it.
Ryu
American beer companies rotfl.gif
BFaolan
You call that stuff beer? cyber.gif
Shrike30
QUOTE (Ancient History)
I call dibs on Shatner.

There's some really fun stuff in Arsenal. I suspect y'all will seriously enjoy it.

Really fun is what I'm in this for. cyber.gif
Kalvan
Synner, There are a few questions I would like you (and anyone else here who worked on it) to answer about Arsenal. (please answer yes, no, or RAFO)

1. Are there any completely new/never before covered firearms makers in this book with product for sale to the general public?

Are there going to be more personal MetalStorm weapons than just the Yamaha Sakura Fubuki?

3. Are there any completely new categories of ammunition for pistols and personal longarms?

4. Are there any new models of aircar and are aircars a seperate category form other aircraft types?

5. Are there any completely new categories of Drones?

6. Will there be an in character histroy of Manatech as applies in this book? Will it mainly be confined to companies from the Big Ten and a few AAs, or will there be products/services from groups of all sizes?
Synner
QUOTE (Kalvan @ Jan 25 2008, 03:36 PM)
Synner, There are a few questions I would like you (and anyone else here who worked on it) to answer about Arsenal. (please answer yes, no, or RAFO)

Running on memory here, since I'm away from my computer right now - and it's generally best to keep things vague when teasing anyway:

1.  Are there any completely new/never before covered firearms makers in this book with product for sale to the general public?

A couple...

Are there going to be more personal MetalStorm weapons than just the Yamaha Sakura Fubuki?
Actually not sure... We'll be revisiting supermachineguns though.

3. Are there any completely new categories of ammunition for pistols and personal longarms?

Yup.

4. Are there any new models of aircar and are aircars a seperate category form other aircraft types?

If by "aircars" you mean CP2020-style aerodynes, then no (in fact, I think you'll find we don't even have any "old" models). If you mean "personal transportation aerial vehicles", then yes (and I don't mean jetpacks).

5. Are there any completely new categories of Drones?

Not sure what you mean by "new categories" since the existing categories are pretty far-reaching, ranging from micro-drones to full-blown drone vehicles. Of course, we will be including some jarhead bodies to the mix and those can potentially be rigged, so those might count.

6. Will there be an in character histroy of Manatech as applies in this book?  Will it mainly be confined to companies from the Big Ten and a few AAs, or will there be products/services from groups of all sizes?

No specific history or corps are highlighted - though most of the manatech devices identify the technologies provenance/producer. That and the mentions in Street Magic should be more than enough.

I want to underscore, yet again, that some of this stuff fans are already familiar with - just not under the label "manatech."
Kyoto Kid
...I still want to know if the armoured long johns are coming back. grinbig.gif
knasser
Kalvan! Well done! You got him answering questions. While he's feeling merciful:

Synner - are there many serious military vehicles and weapons, by which I mean things on the scale of a main battle tank and vehicle mounted-only weapons?
Synner
QUOTE (knasser)
Synner - are there many serious military vehicles and weapons, by which I mean things on the scale of a main battle tank and vehicle mounted-only weapons?

Without giving anything away: yes and yes.
apple
Pictures?

I mean really good pictures, not the recycled "art" in the SR4 basic book. Something in the quality range of the HK XM30.

SYL
Synner
There will be a lot of pictures. Many of them original!
Trax
Now that the Arsenal pdf is out, I demand that someone tell us about some of the new stuff!

Please? biggrin.gif
cryptoknight
QUOTE (Trax)
Now that the Arsenal pdf is out, I demand that someone tell us about some of the new stuff!

Please? biggrin.gif

I can tell you missing stuff...

The core rules still will see Street sams doing room clears with Sniper rifles instead of SMG's/Assault Rifles.

They have a chapter on Black and Grey Markets that introduces Zero rules. A table full of Heavy Pistols that all have the same stats and no reason to pick one over another. Hmmm..
Calabim
Wow. Not a ringing endorsement for the book that was supposed to cover new combat rules. Man, I really hope I hear some good things soon. Also, I was wondering if there where any new rigging rules to go with the new drones?
Synner
QUOTE (cryptoknight @ Jan 26 2008, 07:23 AM)
The core rules still will see Street sams doing room clears with Sniper rifles instead of SMG's/Assault Rifles.

Yeah, cause you're going to do much better in semi automatic fire than with narrow long bursts...

They have a chapter on Black and Grey Markets that introduces Zero rules.

While availability of Black and Grey Markets will affect prices in certain campaigns and specific locations, we had no intention of reintroducing variable street prices as a feature. This chapter provides you with information on where, how and with whom shadow ops acquire their gear and the type of complications that might arise. Gamemasters are free to complicate this or play it as loose as they want.

A table full of Heavy Pistols that all have the same stats and no reason to pick one over another.  Hmmm...

Methinks someone hasn't read the descriptions of the weapons and went straight to the stat table. You get everything from a high-power revolver to a polymer builds to bypass MADs to the large bore heavy pistol, and the good old Savalette with its burst fire option - so, no, not all Heavy Pistols are created equal.

Also, I was wondering if there where any new rigging rules to go with the new drones?

Depends what you mean by "new rigging rules". There are plenty of new drones, some rigger gear, customization shops et al., and loads of mods to be made to vehicles and drones. If on the other hand you want advanced rules/options and "rigging tricks" you'll have to wait for Unwired.
knasser
Hey! No dikote! wink.gif
Eugene
So the -real- question is, do we finally have prices for street drugs (cram, novacoke, etc.)?
Ancient History
Yup. Plus new brainbenders to snort, rub on your gums, slap a patch, shoot a vein, sprinkle on an open wound, or in any other way introduce in your body.
Prime Mover
QUOTE (knasser)
Hey! No dikote! wink.gif

Did'nt convert well or just removed?
Fortune
QUOTE (Ancient History)
... new brainbenders to snort, rub on your gums, slap a patch, shoot a vein, sprinkle on an open wound, or in any other way introduce in your body.

Who's lap was this dropped in?
fistandantilus4.0
QUOTE (Synner)
and the good old Savalette with its burst fire option

love.gif You had me at ' Savalette''.
cryptoknight
QUOTE (Synner)

QUOTE (cryptoknight @ Jan 26 2008, 07:23 AM)

Yeah, cause you're going to do much better in semi automatic fire than with narrow long bursts...

When you're going in with a Ranger Arms SM4 to clear rooms, one shot = one kill most times... and SA = 2 shots. Each shot having a higher base damage value and better AP to deal with armor. Yah... 2 shots = better than burst because bursts don't get to add to DV until after you check for armor penetration.

QUOTE (Synner)

They have a chapter on Black and Grey Markets that introduces Zero rules.

While availability of Black and Grey Markets will affect prices in certain campaigns and specific locations, we had no intention of reintroducing variable street prices as a feature. This chapter provides you with information on where, how and with whom shadow ops acquire their gear and the type of complications that might arise. Gamemasters are free to complicate this or play it as loose as they want.

Some level of complication would have been nice... I find myself trying to port Street Index back to 4th ed because things are somewhat silly.... You want to buy a Frag Grenade... it's ¥35... you get to keep rolling every 12 hours... even though it may be 10F.

QUOTE (Synner)

A table full of Heavy Pistols that all have the same stats and no reason to pick one over another.  Hmmm...

Methinks someone hasn't read the descriptions of the weapons and went straight to the stat table. You get everything from a high-power revolver to a polymer builds to bypass MADs to the large bore heavy pistol, and the good old Savalette with its burst fire option - so, no, not all Heavy Pistols are created equal.

For the most part they are... To me heavy pistols would begin with the equivalent of a .357 magnum and scale up to similar to the Desert Eagle .50 cal. Each has different stopping power and various other stats... With the changes to the concealability rules for fourth ed, this is also somewhat lost... IMHO
apollo124
Damn! I guess this means I need to save up money to buy gas to get to my "local" FLGS which is only 35 miles away. I so need this book. love.gif
Ancient History
QUOTE (Fortune)
QUOTE (Ancient History @ Jan 27 2008, 12:59 AM)
... new brainbenders to snort, rub on your gums, slap a patch, shoot a vein, sprinkle on an open wound, or in any other way introduce in your body.

Three guesses. The first two don't count.
bibliophile20
QUOTE (Ancient History)
QUOTE (Fortune @ Jan 26 2008, 03:15 PM)
QUOTE (Ancient History @ Jan 27 2008, 12:59 AM)

Three guesses. The first two don't count.

Bull!

FrankTrollman!

Ancient History!
Stahlseele
For the most part they are... To me heavy pistols would begin with the equivalent of a .357 magnum and scale up to similar to the Desert Eagle .50 cal. Each has different stopping power and various other stats... With the changes to the concealability rules for fourth ed, this is also somewhat lost... IMHO

too much micromanagement . . only simulationists and such people will get anything out of it . . everybody else will get something like this:
GM:"you realize that the clip does not fit into your DE"
Player:"what? why?"
GM:"'cause you bought for a .50AE and yours is a .44 Magnum"
ixombie
QUOTE (cryptoknight)
Some level of complication would have been nice... I find myself trying to port Street Index back to 4th ed because things are somewhat silly.... You want to buy a Frag Grenade... it's ¥35... you get to keep rolling every 12 hours... even though it may be 10F.

Street index, IMO, was just a way for the devs to make cool rules and then prevent them from ever being used by PCs. It's like "hey, we had nothing better to do than to make rules for mortars. Too bad those won't show up in your campagin because no PC will ever get them, and no GM want to end their campaign so badly that they mortar their players." SR3 is full of things like that where the availability is too high to hit in a sane universe where the laws of probability do not bend, and the street index is so high that reducing the availability would have pushed the cost way beyond what a Shadowrunner could reaslitically afford.

The great thing about SR4 is that they have, so far, refrained from wasting pages on things that the players cannot use. Even high availability, forbidden type things can be attained by a persistent PC, and it will not break the bank.

And have you ever considered that 35 yen might be the street price of a grenade, which is why there is no multiplier? We need to get beyond 2008 thinking when considering the availability of weapons in the 2070s. In the 2070s, the world is literally dominated by arms manufacturers. Illegal weapons are already cheaply available around the world, including in America. Think about what it will be like in 60 years if current trends continue? Arms manufacturers operate on supply and demand, and will pretend not to notice that much of the supply they fill magically disappears into an officially non-existent black market. Part of the theme in SR4 seems to be that weapons are not that hard to get, and aren't that expensive.

And does it benefit campaigns to go the other way? "Hey guess what guys, the tools of your trade are hard to come by, so let's slow down play while you go through shenanigans to get them." This isn't Lock, Stock, and Two Smoking Barrels. It's Shadowrun. If you retain the old street index rules of SR3, you're telling samurais that while they have to scrounge and struggle to get the basic tools they need, mages can literally wave their hands and conjure power out of nothing. I'm not trying to ignite the magic/mundane balance argument again, but it seems only fair that we give sammies a little break, doesn't it?
Trax
QUOTE (Ancient History)
Yup. Plus new brainbenders to snort, rub on your gums, slap a patch, shoot a vein, sprinkle on an open wound, or in any other way introduce in your body.

Good news, it also comes in the form of a supository.
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Dumpshock Forums © 2001-2012