Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Parnormal Luxury foods
Dumpshock Forums > Discussion > Shadowrun
Snow_Fox
In today's culture there are expensive or rare foods that people can only get if wealthy or enjoy as a special event- Champaign and prime rib come easily to mind. Caviar and such. In non-western cultures there are things which we see as exotic. Fried jelly fish skins, cobra heart, chilled monkey brains and snake surprise?

Do you ever get these in your games coming form 'new' creatures.
For example how big might the crab legs be on a paranormal Alaskan king crab?
It's joked at in the SB but does an Abrams lobster go well with butter? Do you serve it like a beef loin or roastor is it so large it's to tough for that but provides large cuts of meat to stews like lobster neuburg leaving more mundate lobsters for traditional service.
Does a golden boar provide particularly tastey pork or ham? Like proscutto or westphalian?
Stahlseele
well, there IS that canniballistic restaurant in corporate enclaves in the part about neo-tokyo . .
Pendaric
Am certain that there is a least one restaurant in cannon famed for serving paranormal critter and have to keep animal welfare at bay because of it.
Adarael
-After an exchange on dumpshock, I have ruled in my games that Unicorns taste so good that they're almost addictive.
-I had players eat Kraken calamari once.
-Trans-Polar Aleuts hunt Meistersingers, in my opinion. Ritualistically, but they do it.
Mercer
I've always wanted to include an Abrahms Lobster, but its just never come up.

I think Deathrattles would make good eating. Or Megaldon fin soup, just what you need to feed a whole village.

And as long as we're talking about super-rare delicacies, it seems like Dragons would top the list. Sapient, powerful and they taste like chicken.
Daddy's Little Ninja
Isn't there some sort of para-armadillo? I guess that's more of a BBQ than a luxery meal.
Vermithrax
QUOTE (Daddy's Little Ninja)
Isn't there some sort of para-armadillo? I guess that's more of a BBQ than a luxery meal.

Juggernaut. Thats one hella BBQ
Ancient History
Hell, half of Paranormal Animals of North America was devoted to which critters were edible.
kanislatrans
Tex-mex juggernaut

ingredients

50 lbs sea salt
20 pounds black pepper coarsely ground
35 lbs garlic powder
10 lbs cilantro
30 lbs dried crushed red pepper

1 juggernaut ,cleaned

sauce:
210 gallons of tomato sauce
20 gallons worschester sauce
5 bushels chili peppers
2bushels green peppers
1 peck garlic
1peck limes

combine salt pepper garlic powder cilantro and red pepper. rub over entire juggernaut. set aside.

start a fire pit big enough to place juggernaut over. a handy spit can be made out of a section of 12 inch diameter well pipe. we suggest at least 60 to 75 face cord of hardwood logs for the fire.

Prepare sauce the night before to allow the flavors to mingle. mix all ingredients well .
when coals are ready, place juggernaut on spit and bast carcass with sauce. a broom or mop works well for this,.

turn juggernaut on spit to ensure even cooking . continue to baste as the meat cooks.

about 4 days later, enjoy! serve with a merlot or savignon cabernet .
Kagetenshi
I have a new life goal.

~J
PBTHHHHT
And in this episode of Bizaare Foods, we will be visiting...
Herald of Verjigorm
QUOTE (Vermithrax)
QUOTE (Daddy's Little Ninja @ Jan 28 2008, 10:30 AM)

Juggernaut. Thats one hella BBQ

For a smaller feast, see the Greater Armadillo (Paranormals of NA at least, not listed in Critters).
The shadowtalk does not mention eating one, but there is mention of using the shell of one as a large, quality salad bowl.

Also in Paranormals of NA, New Boar, like the old boar but more agressive and half the fat content.

Gila Demon and Devil Jack Diamond are also described as tasty in shadowtalk.
Firebird would be hard to cook.
Also in that book, I suggest roasting up some Snow Moose, Tachypus, White Buffalo, Unicorn fish, and a Greater Unicorn.
Lindt
*points to .sig*

I must go find Paranormals of NA now.
Kanada Ten
QUOTE (PBTHHHHT)
And in this episode of Bizaare Foods, we will be visiting...

I was thinking more like "The Freshman" but there's something to be said for AR enhanced flavoring. Now, every meal can taste like dragon liver and every drink like metagromet juice, provided some wired-up schmuck has tasted it before.
Ravor
Of course how can you actually know whether or not the AR overlay is the "real thing" or just something that some deck cowboy cooked up in VR?
Kanada Ten
QUOTE (Ravor)
Of course how can you actually know whether or not the AR overlay is the "real thing" or just something that some deck cowboy cooked up in VR?

*nose in the air* A true connoisseur can tell the difference between I Can't Believe It's Not Unicorn and the real thing, I assure you.

Though the thought of BTL desserts is delightfully devilish. "She's addicted to cheesecake, no really."
Ravor
*chuckles* Even when you've never really tasted the real thing chummer? smokin.gif
Daddy's Little Ninja
Anthony Bourdaine- No Reservations-the Next Generation.
Kanada Ten
QUOTE (Ravor)
*chuckles* Even when you've never really tasted the real thing chummer? :smokin:

*scoffs* Perhaps to the palate of a philistine, the difference is imperceptible, but for me, there is a certain je ne sais quoi to the real experience, which anyone who has not sold their soul to chrome can taste, mon louche. Just as I can always spot a real pair of eyes over the chrome, no matter how expensive the model, n'est pas? It's something no knowsoft can teach.
Snow_Fox
QUOTE (Daddy's Little Ninja)
Anthony Bourdaine- No Reservations-the Next Generation.

"So there I was, my friend has just finished preparing his barbecued para-armadillo on the half shell and then the local headman brings out his home made tequila. Who am I to turn it down? Well maybe someone who needs to strip paint off of a batlteship can use this stuff."
Ancient History
"I let you in on little secret: is not actually vodka. Is made from brake fluid."
Snow_Fox
That's why you sprinkle black pepper on the surface and let it sink into the bottom, it carrys off the toxins. With all due apologies to the club wolfschmidt. (A cookie to the one who knows what the hell I'm talking about.)
CircuitBoyBlue
Isn't there a seafood restaraunt in the Seattle Sourcebook that serves Kraken? I always thought it was a bit ridiculous that people would bother catching one of those things just to eat it, but then again, irl I'm not exactly the best judge of food.
kanislatrans
word to the kraken!(grin)
Herald of Verjigorm
QUOTE (CircuitBoyBlue)
I always thought it was a bit ridiculous that people would bother catching one of those things just to eat it, but then again, irl I'm not exactly the best judge of food.

Described as an average length of 25 meters, but with tentacles of 30 to 40 meters.
This suggests that the body alone is 25 meters long.

40 meters of tentacle is a whole lot of deep fried squiddy.
2 of those, plus 10 more at 30 meters long.

Depending on the customer base, you only may need to hunt once a year (if that).

Also depending on the customer base, you may be able to get away with serving oversized squid shaped soyproduct with imitation and artifical kracken like flavoring.
Daddy's Little Ninja
Tentacles are not the best thing for calamari. You get the best parts from the head.
CircuitBoyBlue
QUOTE (Herald of Verjigorm @ Jan 31 2008, 06:22 PM)
Also depending on the customer base, you may be able to get away with serving oversized squid shaped soyproduct with imitation and artifical kracken like flavoring.

Better yet, if it's just some soy-based product with artificial flavoring, it can be non-perishable, so you can sell bite-sized bits in a box with a prize and call them KrakenJacks.

If anybody needs any more puns, I'll be here all week.
Moon-Hawk
QUOTE (CircuitBoyBlue)
QUOTE (Herald of Verjigorm @ Jan 31 2008, 06:22 PM)

Better yet, if it's just some soy-based product with artificial flavoring, it can be non-perishable, so you can sell bite-sized bits in a box with a prize and call them KrakenJacks.

If anybody needs any more puns, I'll be here all week.

Uh-oh. Do you realize what you've just started?
CircuitBoyBlue
Yes.
Ancient History
SR4 books have more food references than ever before!
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Dumpshock Forums © 2001-2012