Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Arsenal Cover
Dumpshock Forums > Discussion > Shadowrun
Pages: 1, 2, 3
Moon-Hawk
I like the art in Arsenal, cover and other. Not because it's cartoony. It is cartoony, but that's not really a pro or a con. I like the diverse mix, though, and some cartoony art reminds people that the game can be played as pink mowhawk crowd and that's okay.
What I really like about the cover is that I can immediately recognize almost every gun as being an actual weapon from the game. And the couple that I don't recognize, I can go digging for. That's sweet.
And I like the recycled art inside the SR4 books. SR1-3 is an excellent resource for artwork, and I'm glad it's not being neglected. New people get the best of SR1-3's art, and old people get nostalgia.

pardon my incoherence, I was up late last night reading Arsenal.
Ryu
The orc is ugly, but actually close to something with the testosterone level of an SR orc. What I do not like (at all) is the face, but that may partly be caused by the cartooney style.

First thing I dislike is the composition. The scene does not even have a place in a cartoon. An image of a weapons vendor would have been better for presenting so much hardware.

Trying to fit a vehicle at all cost? Only the guns could be made to stick to the vehicle, the other items would simply fall to the ground. Without them the image would be way better.
knasser

I'm with Cain on this one (ducks to avoid low-flying pig). The ork is drawn like a man in the body. Not beyond all belief, but there are several mannish traits. The hands are very large in addition to the general proportions. The face has female proportions, however.

-K.
Ryu
It is not a usual orc. See pics of steroid-abusing (read contesting) female bodybuilders. I´m training frequently for five years now, and many of those still have more muscle. Like a man with tiny boobs - about right. Enlarged hands (and nose, chin, feet) are pretty typical side-effects of human growth hormone. Male musculature is a byproduct of testosterone. As long as we do not know why orcs mature faster, such pictures are a valid perspective.
knasser
QUOTE (Ryu)
It is not a usual orc. See pics of steroid-abusing (read contesting) female bodybuilders. I´m training frequently for five years now, and many of those still have more muscle. Like a man with tiny boobs - about right. Enlarged hands (and nose, chin, feet) are pretty typical side-effects of human growth hormone. Male musculature is a byproduct of testosterone. As long as we do not know why orcs mature faster, such pictures are a valid perspective.

Perhaps. But without a note saying "this picture depicts orks according to the theory that female orks are very masculine looking" or "the individual in this picture is atypical due to an abnormal amount of growth hormone", well without such a note it just looks like the artist accidentally drew big hands / other masculine traits.
Eryk the Red
I hardly think notes like that are necessary. Not every drawing of a character type or race should be the archetype of that concept. Some women look masculine, as some men look feminine. The idea of an ork looking somewhat masculine is even less surprising to me.
JonathanC
What do people here think of the ork in the BBB? The Gunslinger Adept? She doesn't have the human-looking quality, yet looks more human than any ork I've seen. Is this how you figure orks ought to look, on average? I mean, she's still noticeably not human.
Ryu
Yeah. The earthdawn companion has a good one on the cover, very muscular build, close to a human, but tusks.
knasser
QUOTE (Eryk the Red @ Jan 29 2008, 07:27 PM)
I hardly think notes like that are necessary. Not every drawing of a character type or race should be the archetype of that concept.

I don't say it has to be. But if I point out that a painting of a woman makes her look like a man in some ways, because proportions are off, and somebody else replies that I should accept it because their are medical conditions or hormone treatments that can result in such proportions, I think I'm okay to say that some supporting evidence would need to be provided to choose that interpretation over weakness in the artwork. Especially when there is supporting evidence for my opinion in other evidently weak areas in the picture such as screwy perspective (look at those two upper right guns, drawn flush against the same wall yet both at different angles) and floating bullets. Put a ruler on the screen and check out whether the hatch cover would actually fit the hatch itself (it doesn't).

So what is more likely? That in a picture containing numerous errors of proportion and perspective, the artist decided to deliberately draw an atypical woman with masculine dimensions, or that he just didn't do a too good job of these proportions as well?

If you are going to present something that looks off deliberately, you need to reassure people that it's deliberate with higher quality elsewhere. This is not the case with this picture. Besides, can you honestly say, with your bare face hanging out, that you think the artist decided to draw a woman with giant yeti hands because he had decided he wanted to draw someone with an over-active pituitary gland? biggrin.gif

Now all of this makes it sound as though I despise the cover. I don't. It's a passable piece, it just doesn't strike me as very impressive and the artist was either lazy in some of the preparation or pushed for time. I can particularly excuse the latter and without seeing more work by this artist I couldn't say how talented I thought he was.

But when I have to keep justifying my mild dislike of something, repetition makes it sound much harsher. It's not an awful picture. I just don't think it's very good, or really good enough for the cover of a book like Arsenal.

QUOTE (JonathonC)
What do people here think of the ork in the BBB? The Gunslinger Adept? She doesn't have the human-looking quality, yet looks more human than any ork I've seen. Is this how you figure orks ought to look, on average? I mean, she's still noticeably not human.

Regardless of the orkiness or lack, I think it's first off a great piece of artwork - both the execution and the composition in a limited space. I find her too human looking in some ways, but at least it redresses the balance against all those previous editions where orks were portrayed (despite lack of support in the fluff) as being warty, malformed people. And on the subject, the Gunslinger Adept is both notably muscular and still correctly proportioned for a woman.
Cain
Knasser said most everything better than I could.

As for the problem I have with the arms, if you look at the left shoulder, you'll see that the musculature indicates that it's both hunched forward and leaning back at the same time-- the front muscle is way forward, while the top one is tilting back. The right arm has a similar problem at the shoulder. I suppose that the arms themselves are okay, but they're badly-connected to the torso. Which is another beginner mistake, made by many comic-book artist wannabes. I expect something more professional for a Shadowrun cover.

I don't have any other books handy, but the cover to Cannon Companion is equally cartoony, and more professionally done. That doesn't mean it's a better art piece, just that it's technically better.

I might be being something of an anatomy nazi here, but even comic-book muscles aren't supposed to look like Popeye the Sailor Man. (Okay, that's an exaggeration.) But the way the arms are twisted, they look like they were added separately from the main figure.

Like Knasser said, there's so many other mistakes made, it's hard to assume that the arms are anything but another beginner mistake. Very unprofessional. I'm not a great art critic; but I can spot some technical details, and explain how this cover fails to achieve much through technique. If you're a really great artist, you can skip past this stuff, but this guy doesn't pull it off.
Rotbart van Dainig
QUOTE (knasser)
Especially when there is supporting evidence for my opinion in other evidently weak areas in the picture

Actually, there is no evidence in the picture concerning the intention of the artist whatsoever - neither for, nor against it.
Fortune
QUOTE (Rotbart van Dainig @ Jan 30 2008, 09:14 PM)
Actually, there is no evidence in the picture concerning the intention of the artist whatsoever - neither for, nor against it.

That's knasser's point. If it was a case where the subject is supposed to be an abnormal specimen, then evidence should be present to support that fact. Evidence is not needed if this isn't the case, and the subject is supposed to be an example of a basic, normal specimen.
Rotbart van Dainig
QUOTE (Fortune)
If it was a case where the subject is supposed to be an abnormal specimen, then evedence should be present to support that fact. Evidence is not needed if this isn't the case, and the subject is supposed to be an example of a basic, normal specimen.

Exactly that 'necessity' is just created to prove the artist 'wrong', one way or another.

However, in the given context of the picture the deviation from the norm is perfectly plausible: A female ork bodybuilder posing with guns.
Cain
Except it's missing some female traits that wouldn't be missing on a normal figure, or a He-man style cartoony one either. It's too male for the style and effect of the rest of the cover. Plus the fact that, as knasser said, the perspective elsewhere is too off to assume that the anatomical issues are anything but more errors.
Ryu
The artist himself is certainly able to draw different races:

Mark Zug Webspace

The other images I see on his page are way better. This begs the question if the style and composition was specified by CGL as part of a new brand strategy. A cover that is "off" and displays many toys is certainly not completely wrong from a marketing POV.

And we buy the book despite the cover (I´m honestly going to hide the dead tree version from non-players. One must not be enforcing the image of roleplayers as childish nerds).
CircuitBoyBlue
It could just be a marketing thing. In order to send the message to women that "if you buy guns, you'll be able to compete with men" they had someone pose with the guns that is a female, yet is obviously more "macho" than most men.

Or it could actually be cover art. Maybe the artist is saying something about gender roles by depicting the scary, gun-wielding monster as having the face of a woman and the body of a man.

Or it could just be crappy art. But after Augmentation, I'd nominate this for a place in the L'ouvre. I guess SR requires more imagination these days, because now if you want pretty pictures, you have to paint them with your mind.
Fuchs
QUOTE (CircuitBoyBlue)
I guess SR requires more imagination these days, because now if you want pretty pictures, you have to paint them with your mind.

Or make them yourself - DAZ is not too difficult to use.
knasser
QUOTE (Rotbart van Dainig @ Jan 30 2008, 11:33 AM)
QUOTE (Fortune)
If it was a case where the subject is supposed to be an abnormal specimen, then evedence should be present to support that fact. Evidence is not needed if this isn't the case, and the subject is supposed to be an example of a basic, normal specimen.

Exactly that 'necessity' is just created to prove the artist 'wrong', one way or another.

You are maligning me. I did not set about to prove that the cover was imperfect and thus there be a necessity to prove the artist wrong. I looked at a picture with numerous errors of perspective and proportion which cannot be deliberate and concluded that it is most likely the strange proportions of the central figure were not deliberate either.

If either of us is going to extra lengths to prove that the artist is something, it is you trying to prove the artist intended the effect. All I've said is that it seems a lot more likely given the evidence that it was simply badly drawn. And ultimately, intention matters for nothing to we, the audience. If you're going to draw something that runs contrary to what people think something should look like, you need to compensate by making it look as realistic in other ways as you can. I know that. Professional artists know that. Looking at the other work on the artist's website that Ryu linked to, the artist is undoubtedly capable of far superior work so I'm sure he knows that, too.

Having seen the rest of this artist's work, I'm going to put the entire thing hands and all, down to being either rushed / bored with the subject / pissed off with tight specifications or underpaid. He's clearly a talented artist when he applies himself.

QUOTE (CircuitBoyBlue)
It could just be a marketing thing. In order to send the message to women that "if you buy guns, you'll be able to compete with men" they had someone pose with the guns that is a female, yet is obviously more "macho" than most men.

Heh! That would be the worst piece of marketing in a decade:

Catalyst: "Hey girls - you could actually be as good as a guy."
Girls: "..."
Cain

Or it could actually be cover art. Maybe the artist is saying something about gender roles by depicting the scary, gun-wielding monster as having the face of a woman and the body of a man.

There's too many technical errors for it to be artistic. And while I believe Mark Zug can do much better than this, that only serves to heighten the fact that it's likely a set of beginner's mistakes. Sure, you can break the rules of the art form, and get away with it if you're good; but this piece isn't good enough for that.

I can see that it's supposed to be cartoony, but it's supposed to be He-Man style, not Tiny Toons: "We're tiny, we're toony, we're all a little loony; and with this cartoonie, we'll invade your RPG!" cool.gif
CircuitBoyBlue
QUOTE (knasser)
Heh! That would be the worst piece of marketing in a decade:

Catalyst: "Hey girls - you could actually be as good as a guy."
Girls: "..."

I doubt it would be the first time a company's used misogynistic lines of thought in their marketing.

And as a disclaimer, yes, I was going out of my way to try to prove the artist wasn't messing up. I have been hypnotized by Shadowrun's charms and want to believe whenever possible that it is infallible; I readily admit to that. Of course, "whenever possible" leaves a lot of holes...

Kyoto Kid
QUOTE (Fuchs)
QUOTE (CircuitBoyBlue @ Jan 30 2008, 06:27 PM)
I guess SR requires more imagination these days, because now if you want pretty pictures, you have to paint them with your mind.

Or make them yourself - DAZ is not too difficult to use.

...right on.

@Cain...well at least it isn't like the crap I see on the Cartoon Channel these days. What happened, have animators forgotten how to draw all of a sudden? Even the Hanna-Barbera stuff in the 60s was better.

OK, end of mini-rant

[/Derail]

Cain
@Cain...well at least it isn't like the crap I see on the Cartoon Channel these days. What happened, have animators forgotten how to draw all of a sudden? Even the Hanna-Barbera stuff in the 60s was better.

...They outsourced overseas. Which was my original theory on most of the SR4 cover art. biggrin.gif
Kyoto Kid
...yeah like so much of our other manufacturing these days. I come from the old "Rust Belt" & cities there were almost turned into ghost towns when much of our the heavy industry was farmed out overseas because of cheaper labour. We went from a primarily manufacturing economy with decent wages and job security to a low paying service based "at will" one.

I still have my old UAW card in a desk drawer somewhere.

...but I digress...

...end of mini rant #2.

[/Derail]

Ryu
QUOTE (Cain)
He-Man style, not Tiny Toons: "We're tiny, we're toony, we're all a little loony; and with this cartoonie, we'll invade your RPG!" cool.gif

rotfl.gif
Ed_209a
I cannot cite the post, but I agree 100% percent that the full-page pic on page 4-5 or so would have made a _much_ better cover.

The only downside is that it is just a fixer and his guns, no drones or vehicles visible. The powers that be may have wanted a cover with guns, drones & vehicles on a book _about_ guns, drones & vehicles
darthmord
I'm a hold-out from the days of SR1 & 2...

I liked the SR1 cover the best out of all the covers for the various SR books I have.

Honestly, I would have made the Arsenal cover be more like buying stuff & gear out of the back of a large semi truck in a lot with other gear & vehicles in the background... sort of like a black market swap meet. biggrin.gif

But yeah, the existing cover art is off somehow. Not quite right and all that.
Fortune
QUOTE (darthmord)
I liked the SR1 cover the best out of all the covers for the various SR books I have.

That's (well SR1 and SR2 were almost identical) my favorite as well.
swirler
wow
some harsh things are being said
I'm not saying people don't have a right to their opinions, just keep in mind that's what they are. The problem Ive had with alot of Shadowrun art over the years is the ugly people. Now let me qualify that statement. Most everyone (with a few rare exceptions) are all knotted and warty. I can see that for troll and some orks, but when a large percentage of the humans have it, it makes me go "what?" In a world where Nuyen flows like water (atleast for runners in the biz) and plastic surgery is mostly a walk in kinda thing, why would the majority of the people be that way? I liked the first and second editon core book covers. The 4th edition was a nod to that IMHO. I have to admit some of the clothing choices seemed a lil wrong and that dwarf just kinda creeps me out, but beside that, it's fine.

I don't get whats so wrong with the ork chick. Ever seen a female mechanic? Now make her an orc on top of that. I don't see the big deal. Also keep in mind that well isn't there a drug section in arsenal?
She could be all "neo-roided up" or whatever.

if we are talking out of proportion or whatever lets talk the cover of "Awakenings" I loved that woman, super-hot, until a friend pointed out her mouth was on the side of her face.
Kyoto Kid
QUOTE (swirler)
if we are talking out of proportion or whatever lets talk the cover of "Awakenings" I loved that woman, super-hot, until a friend pointed out her mouth was on the side of her face.

...the artist was just paying homage to Pablo Picasso... grinbig.gif

Seriously I agree that the Fixer illo would have been a very appropriate cover. You don't have to show everything that is inside the book on the cover. If that were the case there should be a BTL junkie zoned out in a corner somewhere and a martial artist going Bruce Lee on someone in the background.

One of my favourite covers was Rigger 2 which featured only Josie Cruze and her flock of drones.
Exodus
I thought the cover was better than augmentation.
Grinder
Yeah, but that's not really difficult. biggrin.gif
Kyoto Kid
...kind of like saying the New York Jets are better than the Miami Dolphins. grinbig.gif
Exodus
QUOTE (Kyoto Kid)
...kind of like saying the New York Jets are better than the Miami Dolphins. grinbig.gif

Totally False Statement!

Dolphins are gonna have an undefeated season next year. I can feel it in my gut!

But in all fairness that could be indigestion. dead.gif
Fortune
QUOTE (Kyoto Kid)
...kind of like saying the New York Jets are better than the Miami Dolphins.

Them's fightin' words!
Adam
Hey -- I'd just like to point out that this cover, as well as the Augmentation cover, were both contracted and received by/delivered to FanPro in 2006.
Cardul
QUOTE (Adam @ Jan 31 2008, 07:18 PM)
Hey -- I'd just like to point out that this cover, as well as the Augmentation cover, were both contracted and received by/delivered to FanPro in 2006.

So, um, Adam..can we take that as you saying that the covers and art are going to be different with stuff made completely in-house by Catalyst when compared to the Legacy Products(like Augmentation, Arsenal, and Unwired)?
Fuchs
QUOTE (Cardul)
So, um, Adam..can we take that as you saying that the covers and art are going to be different with stuff made completely in-house by Catalyst when compared to the Legacy Products(like Augmentation, Arsenal, and Unwired)?

Please... no more comic covers.
Blade
Looks like they even already have a cover for a product I'm not even sure is still in the schedule...
Running Wild's cover is copyrighted 2004 but it looks great.
Grinder
Yep, that's cool.
Fortune
Running Wild is still on the schedule, although it will not be quite the same book as was proposed back in SR3 days.
Grinder
At least it will see the light of the day - unlike that other book....
Adam
QUOTE (Cardul)

We don't have "in-house" artists, but aside from the Running Wild cover, all of the Shadowrun art is now stuff that is being handled by Catalyst, not stuff that FanPro had contracted previously. This includes Unwired, which Klaus Scherwinski is working on.
Grinder
QUOTE (Adam @ Feb 1 2008, 12:45 PM)
This includes Unwired, which Klaus Scherwinski is working on.

love.gif

Ryu
QUOTE (Adam)
QUOTE (Cardul @ Feb 1 2008, 05:06 AM)

We don't have "in-house" artists, but aside from the Running Wild cover, all of the Shadowrun art is now stuff that is being handled by Catalyst, not stuff that FanPro had contracted previously. This includes Unwired, which Klaus Scherwinski is working on.

notworthy.gif My gratitude to whoever contracted him.
ixombie
Well, my question's been answered to my satisfaction: it is crappy, not craptastic. The cartoony style is certainly intentional and in keeping with SR tradition, but the flaws in technical execution show that it's really not a good exemplar of that style.
Prime Mover
From the looks of the running wild cover above, would assume we'll be seeing more bioforms/warforms. nyahnyah.gif
ThreeGee
it is crappy, not craptastic.

It's OK, it could've done with a bit more work on the perspective certainly, the tranny orc I can deal with. There have been SR books with a lot worse covers than this, FASA published some howlers back in the 1e/2e days, Tir Tairngire springs to mind.
CircuitBoyBlue
QUOTE (Kyoto Kid)
You don't have to show everything that is inside the book on the cover. If that were the case there should be a BTL junkie zoned out in a corner somewhere and a martial artist going Bruce Lee on someone in the background.

That would make an excellent cover for just about any SR book.
eidolon
QUOTE (Adam)
This includes Unwired, which Klaus Scherwinski is working on.

Fuckin' WOOT.
MaxHunter
There is an illustration in arsenal with three runners waiting on ambush around a corner. I thought that an enhanced version of that could have made for a better cover than the one in the BBB. I really hated the bbb cover.

On comparison arsenal's is bad, but at least it's funny. My vote is not for "craptastic", anyway.

Cheers,

Max
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Dumpshock Forums © 2001-2012