Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: location, location, location
Dumpshock Forums > Discussion > Shadowrun
6thDragon
I realize the default setting for shadowrun is Seattle. But I was wandering if this is where everyone plays. To be honest, I've always played campaigns based out of Seattle; even though I've never been there, but then again, I'm an America. I was wandering if all the overseas (non-American) players base there campaigns out of Seattle or if they play a more localized campagne.
Dende
One guy from our group has done a Cheyenne campaign. Liked that. Lots of Native American Souix Nation stuff, martial arts are nice, setting was pretty good from the way he tells it. Personally have only done Seattle with trips to the north and south to Tir Ten Gir(spelling is way off, but I am without books rights now)
Luke Hardison
Seattle, Denver, and once, Dallas. But we mostly stick to Seattle, since we have the most info from there and it appeals to everyone.
Connor
My groups have played mostly out of Seattle, but we've also travelled the globe a bit. Denver, Chicago, Atlanta, the Yucatan, Amazonia, both Tir Tairngire, Britain, Germany and Trans-Polar Aleut have all seen quite a bit of action from us. We've played smaller games based around other areas or travelling elsewhere as well.

I just have to say, smuggling gear and cyber and such has always been a big factor in our group, since we do travel so much. smile.gif
Sahandrian
Seattle. Mainly for lack of a reason to go anywhere else. I considered doing a game in my home state, but nothing ever really happens in WV. We'd probably have plenty of paranormal animals, and I can imagine a lot of metahumans here, but no corp or crime business.

And even if I did find an excuse for it, Charlie is in Florida, Ryan is from Texas, and I think John is in Virginia...
Ol' Scratch
Seattle and New Orleans are the hot spots for us, though we often take part in globe-hopping campaigns.
Shockwave_IIc
Seattle mainly for me as well, Though i did do a stint in sydney, thought i didn't know about the mana warps and stuff so i introduced them when the comet cam along.
thunderchild
Seattle based, but they do go everywhere.

Ivr got the Germany SB and was about to base a campaign therebefore my group broke up years ago.
zephir
We have played in Seattle and (mostly) in the Rhein-Main sprawl in Germany.

We like to play in Germany because we are better acquainted with german mythology and SK is the last true mega.
Phaeton
QUOTE (Sahandrian)
Seattle. Mainly for lack of a reason to go anywhere else. I considered doing a game in my home state, but nothing ever really happens in WV. We'd probably have plenty of paranormal animals, and I can imagine a lot of metahumans here, but no corp or crime business.

And even if I did find an excuse for it, Charlie is in Florida, Ryan is from Texas, and I think John is in Virginia...

Don't forget I'm semi-working on a campaign taking place in Japan, Sahandrian.
RedmondLarry
We keep our safehouse about a mile from where I live. In the direction of Cain and Stonecouger.
Austere Emancipator
Turku, Finland. The characters have never even visited North America, though the last ones did run away to South America to merc around a bit before dying. A few runs abroad every now and then, but they are always quick border hops there and back.
Synner
After years of running in Seattle and North Am, I'm having a ball playtesting the Shadows of Europe setting with my current team. They're still not used to the subtler approach but they're getting there... if they survive a four-way scuffle between Saeder-Krupp, Zeta-ImpChem, Transys and Spinrad Industries they've been dropped into, all in against the pleasant backdrop of Cote d'Azure and the Grand Tour.
Wailer
I run a campaign based strongly in the Ork Underground, Seattle. Started the pc's off using the Ganger rules and have grown fond of the 'small town'-type setting. Only recently have the pcs started venturing topside in search of more money, but most of them still have side-plots and ic-relationships that bring the UG into every session.
leemur
One game in the 'StarCraft ' universe (which rocked) and one game in the 'MechWarrior' universe (not so rocking, but still fun).

ShadowRun adapted quite well, for the most part, although the DM could never quite figure out how to to do spaceship combat
Daishi
Seattle when we want to start up a game in a hurry. (Which is fairly often.)

Beyond that we've done:
Adelaide, Australia
Boston, UCAS
Brighton, UK
Saskatoon, AMC
Thunder Bay, AMC
Vancouver, SSC

And we also have a campaign that started in Seattle, but finished in Fiji that we intend to pick up again. From Fiji.
Dim Sum
Everywhere. Don't like tying my campaigns down to one city unless the players choose to play very local type characters, in which case the default is Seattle.
Siege
QUOTE (leemur)
One game in the 'StarCraft ' universe (which rocked) and one game in the 'MechWarrior' universe (not so rocking, but still fun).

ShadowRun adapted quite well, for the most part, although the DM could never quite figure out how to to do spaceship combat

Do we want to know what kind of numbers your GM used for the Zerg?

-Siege
Fix-it
biggrin.gif Travel is fun, because it gives the players the challenge of getting themselves and thier gear through airport security.
Sepherim
Mostly based in Seattle, my players jump from one point of the globe to the next, not only in North Am but been also in the Near East, Egypt, Germany and several parts of Spain (I tried to start a campaign here testing SoE but they didn't adapt too good to it and decided to return to Seattle).
I wanted to base my new campaign in Madrid, Spain, but my players were newbies and it wouldn't be a good point to start.
Shader
Free City of Helsinki, mostly doing missions in Finland, Sovereign Pohjola and Re-Monarchy of Sweden.

yes, I do run a heavily modded campaign smile.gif
Pavlov
Vast majority of time is spent in Seattle, but every so often when a good sourcebook comes out, we'll jaunt over there to justify me buying yet another book. We've been to New Orleans, the Ivory Coast, and Constantinople (now THAT was a clusterfrag). Looking forward to Shadows of Europe and regretting not buying the German handbook while I was living in Frankfurt a.M.
Mr.Platinum
I always have my group start out in TouristVille in the redmond.

Daishi: I currently live in THunderBay if you would like some help about this area e-mail me

Mukwoh@hotmail.com
Prospero
I've almost always done Seattle, though my players often get some world travelling done in their careers somewhere (if they live long enough). Started one gang campaign in London once (right after the London Sourcebook came out). That was interesting and it ended up - bizarrely enough, purely by chance and definately not by planning - heading to Seattle where we all got geeked by bug spirits. I also tried to do one in Tir Nan Og but that was at the end of my college years and my players all moved away on me, so that tanked.

Seattle campaigns are pretty natural for me and my group(s), mainly since I live just across the state from the place and everyone I know has been there a lot. I kinda want to run a campaign based in Spokane (which is where I live), especially since SoNA has actual info on it, but haven't gotten around to it yet. I'd also love to run a campaign in Hungary, since I lived there and have the sourcebook, but haven't gotten enough interested people to do that one yet. Ah well.
leemur
QUOTE (Siege)
QUOTE (leemur @ Nov 30 2003, 08:36 PM)

Do we want to know what kind of numbers your GM used for the Zerg?

-Siege

Oddly enough, I was asking him about that yesterday.

They ranged from pretty crap to really tough, depending on which breed we were fighting.

At their toughest, they were easily a match for my physad (Sol) who was himself half zergling (not that anyone knew it....although they suspected it towards the end when I betrayed them to the Overmind).
Pthgar
Detroit. We actually live here and since it is at least mentioned in SR it seemed to make sense. Plus it's close to Bug City (4.5 hrs by car 1 hr by air).
moosegod
But it's ruled by Ares. How do you work with that?

Game2BHappy
QUOTE (Pthgar)
Detroit.  We actually live here and since it is at least mentioned in SR it seemed to make sense.  Plus it's close to Bug City (4.5 hrs by car 1 hr by air).

At one point we were considering moving our game to Detroit. Heavily industrialized areas and urban sprawls with incredibly affluent suburbs surrounding it. A major waterway connecting to the Atlantic and miles of massive salt mines hundreds of feet below the city. Plenty of historical political corruption and interaction between corps and government. Despite this, I can still find gravel roads east of 275. It drops off to rural farmfields in a heartbeat.

We've run there, but haven't set up there yet... it definitely seems like a fun place to run.
LegionX
My games always takes place in seattle..

As Denmark is nicely covered in radioactive slugde i suspect nothing exiting is going on locally smile.gif

Not me or any of my players have been there.. or anywhere in the states for that sake... we just makes everything up smile.gif
Pthgar
All the little corps are trying to screw each other over for Ares contracts and we work for Ares too. Remember in Detroit (and most of UCAS), Ares has a good rep and actually helps the area (somthing about not pooping in your own backyard).

The salt mines are now Trolltown for us. The trolls, Orks and some Dwarves moved in and expanded them.

In our game, MexicanTown is a hot bed of anti-Aztlan resistance given covert support by Ares.

Also Ares doesn't rule everything. Detroit has a lot of shipping witch opens the way for Wu-Xing. There is a ton of chemical proccessing in Michigan especially BASF which is a German company and in our game, a part of S-K.

I've made a little Detroit sourcebook for continuities sake if anyone is interested.
Game2BHappy
Don't forget Target: UCAS has 27 pages devoted entirely to Detroit including run ideas, half-page descriptions of major Detroit districts (Windsor, Dearborn, Belle Isle, Downtown, Oakland County, and Auburn. It also lists the other big players in Detroit and the various conflicts that keep the city interesting.

Of course it gives the same good info for Chicago and Boston for those interested...
Playing Games
DeeCee
San Fran
San Jose
Hell Lay
NYC.
Nath
QUOTE (Pthgar)
There is a ton of chemical proccessing in Michigan especially BASF which is a German company and in our game, a part of S-K.

If you want to know, canon-wise BASF is one of the core companies of the AG Chemie Europa conglomerate, and Saeder-Krupp (as Zeta-ImpChem) is said to have controlling shares in some of those companies. You're not far wink.gif
FlakJacket
QUOTE (LegionX)
As Denmark is nicely covered in radioactive slugde i suspect nothing exiting is going on locally smile.gif

Not me or any of my players have been there.. or anywhere in the states for that sake... we just makes everything up smile.gif

Well since Peter hasn't seemed to of turned up yet - the man seems to be slipping wink.gif - IIRC, Denmark's being covered in SoE so you should get something a little more interesting than just Sludge-Land™. smile.gif
Crimson Jack
Yes, default is Seattle too. I live in Seattle, so it's nice for reference. Living up here makes it so much easier to write runs for my gaming group.

When I've taken them out of the Seattle sprawl, it's been places like Germany (which can be much cooler than the sourcebook if you know a little about it), Tir Na Nog (ghost campaign), Australia (short-lived, but bloody as hell), and every place in all of the modules.

Astral runs are pretty fun too. It gives a new spin on the same area. Ditto for Matrix runs.
Fahr
Austin (where I live now)
Nashville
Denver

(I like border-towns)

I don't think I have ever actually run a game based in Seattle... to many well informed players with books, means they know it better than me... if I move to a city there is NOT a source book for I can make most of it up cyber.gif

thinking about basing one in the middle east somewhere, or maybe getting the Austin group dragged to germany - they're working for S-K and don't know it yet....

most end up globe-trotting at some point.

-Mike R.
Synner
QUOTE (FlakJacket @ Dec 9 2003, 06:31 PM)
QUOTE (LegionX)

Well since Peter hasn't seemed to of turned up yet - the man seems to be slipping wink.gif - IIRC

More like I'm weary of any more teasing...
Denmark's being covered in SoE so you should get something a little more interesting than just Sludge-Land™. smile.gif

Yes, the Black Tide obviously did quite a number on Denmark, as well as Germany and Holand. However while I will say it's probably not the sparkling crown jewel of the Scand Union, it's not Sludge-Land.
Aesir
I dont think Sweden would be that good a setting for shadowrun. Besides there are plenty of good Swedish roleplaying games that are based here by default, so you get the cozy local feel elsewere. No, Seattle is the place. Never been there myself, but i have been to citys like New York, DC, San Fransico and... Phenix if you would belive that. So I have an idea of what American citys look like. (pretty diffrent from most European citys actually.) And then there´s the fact that Shadowrun is a Sci-Fi game which meens you dont have to be true to reallity very much. We have had the odd exotic setting adventure though. We made a badge of newly baked runners based in Miami, had one run there and followed it up with the African run in Predator and Pray. For example. I bought Tir Na Nog when it came out ´cause it seemed fun. But we never played in the Ire because after I read the book I simply decided against it. Still seems a bit unplayable to me.
Mal-2
Traditionally, our games have been based in Seattle, mostly because of all the source material readily available for it. However, our Chicago based game (which started prior to Chi town becoming Bug City) was a lot of fun.

We've just started playing SR again for the first time in years, and this time we'll be based out of Las Vegas.

Mal-2
Pining for the fnords.
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Dumpshock Forums © 2001-2012