Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Extended Tests and Glitches
Dumpshock Forums > Discussion > Shadowrun
wilibus
I did a search and I wasn't able to track anything down on this rule.

Do you keep track of the net number of 1's rolled for your extended test to determine if a glitch is rolled or is it on a per roll basis.

For example your dice pool is 10 and your threshold is 10 as well. Is this a glitch?

1, 1, 1, 2, 2, 3, 4, 5, 5, 6

1, 1, 2, 3, 3, 4, 4, 5, 6, 6

1, 1, 1, 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 5, 5

1, 2, 2, 3, 4, 4, 5, 5, 6, 6

How I understand the rules this would be a success and it would take 4 intervals to accomplish this task. But where my confusion lies is that if you count the total number of 1's there are 10 of them. On the 3rd roll you had 9 1's and 9 successes. Firstly is this a glitch, and secondly if it is would it be 6-d6 (the net before the 3rd roll) or 9-d6 (the net after the third roll) net hits?

Thanks for your help, and once again sorry if this is a repost.

Nightwalker450
Extended is only on a per test basis.

Also a glitch is if half your dice rolled or more come up as 1. So even if keeping you are keeping a running track instead of individual judgement only. On the third pass you have 9 hits out of 30 dice. Far below the 50% line.
wilibus
Thanks for the response.

When does the % of hits ever matter? I thought it was just important if more than half the dice were 1's and then if no hits were scored.
Nightwalker450
More than half (50%) total dice rolled.
ixombie
I think he meant 1's, not hits. He was saying that even if you added the 1's, you wouldn't have a glitch, because you didn't roll 10 dice, you rolled a total of 40 dice. It wouldn't make sense to add up the 1's, but compare it to the base pool. If you add up the 1's, you have to add up all the dice total, which would require 20 1's to count as a glitch.

I think some people are getting glitches confused with critical glitches. It's always a glitch if you get 50% of your dice as 1's. The only way that successes matter is: 1) The more hits you score on a glitch, the less bad of a glitch it is, and 2) if you get no hits when you glitch, it's a critical glitch.

But I concur, there's nothing in the rules saying you add up 1's. Glitches are on a per-test basis. You wouldn't do something wacky like adding all the 1's together unless the rules explicitly told you to.
Aaron
QUOTE (Nightwalker450)
More than half (50%) total dice rolled.

Actually, I think it's half or more, which is only a little different, but significantly so.

When one of my players glitches an Extended Test, I just take away all their accumulated hits.
Sponge
QUOTE (Aaron)
When one of my players glitches an Extended Test, I just take away all their accumulated hits.

Glitches aren't supposed to affect whether you succeed or not, just the side-effects.
stevebugge
QUOTE (Sponge)
QUOTE (Aaron)

Glitches aren't supposed to affect whether you succeed or not, just the side-effects.

Seconded

Say Joe Runner is looking for a hard to get weapon and needs 18 hits to pull it off.
His tests come up.

123456 2 Hits
223345 1 Hit
245556 4 Hits
111166 2 Hits and a Glitch
223555 3 Hits
333555 3 Hits
223355 2 Hits
111125 1 Hit and a Glitch and finally success

Of course those two glitches are going to have some side effects. Maybe one of the sources queried turned out to be an undercover ATF agent who now has a lead on Joe Runner. Maybe the Glitch caused the Joe Runner to waste a day when is inquiry about Big Guns led him to a steroid provider "What you wanted actual guns not massive biceps?" Something like that. A critical Glitch may lead to a much more dramatic failure like the ATF actually catching up with Joe Runner or word getting out that the target of the run to get Super Gun X gets tipped off and comes looking for the buyer.
Aaron
QUOTE (stevebugge)
Maybe the Glitch caused the Joe Runner to waste a day when is inquiry about Big Guns led him to a steroid provider "What you wanted actual guns not massive biceps?" Something like that.

I agree with you, except that isn't your example indicative of a failure state, or at least a loss of hits?
stevebugge
I don't think it has to have any mechanical effect in this case, I certainly wouldn't try to shoehorn in a mechanic here. I'd probably note it for future humor call backs or possibly have it pop up in the story in the future. I don't see any real need to decuct hits from the test, raise the threshold, or do anything along those lines. I think having possible future plot effects or just a good laugh is enough.
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Dumpshock Forums © 2001-2012