Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Is There Anything That You Wouldn't Do?
Dumpshock Forums > Discussion > Shadowrun
Pages: 1, 2
fool
this is a tangent from another thread. Is there anything that you wouldn't have your characters do. Personally, I have really pissed off one of my GM's when I flatly refused to participate in hit jobs. Generally i prefer to play the good guys. AB+, terra first that kind of thing. When I GM I like to develop moral conflict for my characters, having them hired to do things that they wouldn't normally do; usually by having the johnson screw them over by not telling them what is really going on. Then the pc's have to figure out how to clear their names.
So my question is is there anything that you wouldn't have your characters do?
Rotbart van Dainig
Search Missing Person jobs.

Honestly, those are totally annoying, usually boring, completely depending on GM fiat - and you are not even allowed to torture & kill the fucker when you find him.
Ancient History
Never had a player raped. Well, quite.
Fuchs
No rape, no detailed torture scenes, and such.
mfb
what my characters will or will not do depends on the character. as a GM, there's very little i wouldn't include in a game, as long as its presence serves some purpose and isn't just gratuitous. i have yet, for instance, to play or run any game where sex of any kind wasn't best handled by a closing paragraph and a scene change.
hyzmarca
As a GM, I wouldn't have an NPC slice open a PCs abdomen, yank the PCs intestine out through the hole, and use it as a masturbation device. As a player, it really depends on the character and the whole group's feelings about PvP ostomy rape but it is usually a no.
Lionhearted
QUOTE (Ancient History @ Feb 3 2008, 05:19 PM) *
Never had a player raped. Well, quite.

In our last shadowrun campaign we had following scenario
Troll & Orc get very high on Novac and Cram
Troll & Orc decides that Cram must be like Amphetamine a.k.a. you become horny.
Male Troll & Male Orc, hooks up Male Elf to a Dreamchip (He is BTL addicted anyway)
Troll & Orc Throughoutly rape Elf then in midprocess violently unplugs Elf, Elf suffers from dumpshock while being raped
Troll & Orc finishes their business and Blinds elf with their "Products"
Elf got permanent mental & psychical thraumas..
Elf find Orc, Elf Beats the crap out of Orc (who is currently burned on cram and novac), then carves his eyes out of his skull (now this is a adept orc) Cuts his mandom and leaves him to slowly bleed to death
Elf finds troll, Blows his mandom of with a doublebarreled shotgun, then forcefully inject Troll with all the cram & novac left
Leaving troll OD'ed

So in lack of better things to do we ended up with

A psychopatic chiphead elf with well, he couldnt sit for some time..
A castrated blind orc adept priceboxer (who btw, survived but refused to get cybereyes)
A castrated severly cram addicted Troll who lost his girlfriend and life
A Lone elf hottie who went to the other side of seattle to prostitute herself

That was when i decided that my char (Sammy/face without social skills) would tip his old A20k mates about the rave we were going to the next evening, hell I think half the party died that evening
Snow_Fox
My main character has po'ed the group several times because she won't do wet work.
Kyoto Kid
...Wetwork, plain and simple.

Organlegging is another that comes to mind and sort of goes hand in hand with the above.

Acts of terrorism that involve innocent victims.

Stand by idly and let other team members "have their way" with a captured prisoner beyond the purpose of interrogation.

I agree, my characters too like to feel their the ones with the white hats (well maybe
light gray)
nezumi
Hmm... I'd probably have to agree with Hyz on this one.

I have had players who say they won't do particular jobs. In my current group, one guy refuses to do wetwork unless it's a really bad guy. Another refuses to do babysitting jobs unless he's allowed to kill whatever he's babysitting. That's fair, everyone has their preferences in regards to game style, so it's good to get them out in the open to begin with.
Fortune
See mfb's response!
Ravor
I sit my players down before I start a campaign and explain to them that NOTHING is off limits, rape and murder and organlegging included whether it is in that order or not. Now with that said, I also explain that I do tend to "fade to black" as necessary.
DTFarstar
I have had a lot of weird things happen in my games. One thing I do, that my players really like when they do something right and hate when they do something wrong, is I make timelines beforehand and I stick to them unless they do something that would make whoever is doing whatever either hesitate or rush. So, I have done a fade to black with sex that picked back up with the character naked and riding her partner when the door was literally blown off its' hinges and a ganger mob came in to ruin her day.

Basically, I go with the flow and as I have stated many times and in other places there is literally nothing that is off limits to myself or my group.

Hell, I once had a player that was a serial pedophilic murderer. His partners never found out, but he would lure small boys into out of the way places, gag them, rape them, and then over the course of about 30 minutes slowly tortured them to death. He got kind of creepy and detailed with it, to be honest, but his character was careful and no one ever found out. He ended up taking a sniper bullet to the face after failing an infiltration test so we'll never know if he would have gotten caught eventually. He had very specific preferences and methods so, eventually he probably would have worked through all the 4-6 year old elven males with spare builds and blonde hair in the Barrens and had to go hunting through areas that actually have cops. There were alot of gangs looking for him, though they didn't know it was him. Dystopian as shadowrun is, I would imagine most people would be thoroughly disturbed and pissed off by the ritual rape, torture, and murder of a young child that they know personally.

Chris
Daddy's Little Ninja
I think I would draw the line at cannibalism.
ElFenrir
As a player? They won't rape or do sorts of sexual felonies.

I tend to wear the grey(sometimes dark) grey hat. It goes from character to character, but ive had a few white hatted ones, usually in the middle, but alot of the grey/dark greys don't shy at wetwork.

As a GM, whatever kind of game i'm running, but again, i tend to shy away from the sexual felonies again. However, I've used joygirls/joyboys, as contacts, people in campaigns, and the like. The scenes(if any), aren't described and it isn't forced. (Hey, they make good street contacts.)

Im pretty open as a player and GM, basically.

deek
QUOTE (DTFarstar @ Feb 3 2008, 08:35 PM) *
Hell, I once had a player that was a serial pedophilic murderer. His partners never found out, but he would lure small boys into out of the way places, gag them, rape them, and then over the course of about 30 minutes slowly tortured them to death. He got kind of creepy and detailed with it, to be honest, but his character was careful and no one ever found out. He ended up taking a sniper bullet to the face after failing an infiltration test so we'll never know if he would have gotten caught eventually. He had very specific preferences and methods so, eventually he probably would have worked through all the 4-6 year old elven males with spare builds and blonde hair in the Barrens and had to go hunting through areas that actually have cops. There were alot of gangs looking for him, though they didn't know it was him. Dystopian as shadowrun is, I would imagine most people would be thoroughly disturbed and pissed off by the ritual rape, torture, and murder of a young child that they know personally.

Chris

The rest of my table would veto that...I mean, I don't think anyone of my players is getting together to live out dark fantasies...and if they did, I think they would get some weird looks...and that is enough to keep it off the table for most people. As a GM, would I allow it? Yeah, but I wouldn't want to get into gritty details...I'd keep it as surface as possible and keep on moving with the story...it could stay as part of his habits and background, but I certainly wouldn't feature it in the game I ran.
Stahlseele
QUOTE (Kyoto Kid @ Feb 4 2008, 12:18 AM) *
...Wetwork, plain and simple.

Organlegging is another that comes to mind and sort of goes hand in hand with the above.

Acts of terrorism that involve innocent victims.

Stand by idly and let other team members "have their way" with a captured prisoner beyond the purpose of interrogation.

I agree, my characters too like to feel their the ones with the white hats (well maybe
light gray)

aside from the wetwork and organlegging . . and if i decide something goes boom, something goes boom . . i do send a warning and everybody who does not leave deserves to be blown out of the gene-pool anyways . . nothing sexual from me(well, aside from using RRRRRodgerrrr as an visual aid in questioning people), but i once got information by telling the GM to give me whatever information i wanted in return of me NOT describing in Detail what i was gonna do to the very unfortunate NPC to be questioned by me . .
DeadLogic
No pedophilia or rape in my games. I even take it so far as to make sure that a good runner knows what killing a man means, that Joe Security just might want to go home to his wife and kids each night. Stuff like that. I love to give my runners moral qualms about what they're doing sometimes, but I'd never allow them to make amoral or mentally deviant characters, my campaigns are very underdog heroic and I expect professional Runners! As for my character's, I did make an NPC in a game of Vampire: The Masquerade who was Malkavian, and fucking batshit nuts. She would go on dates, seduce men, and take them home and get them ready for sex just to chop them up with her trusty fire axe. She's then eat their organs. I imagine a similar character may work as a ghoul or vampire in SR, hehe. Especially if she has information that forces the runners to keep her twisted self alive. That's what I call moral quandary.
Whipstitch
Uh, but that's exactly why Joe Security will shoot you. Joe Security's got a gun; he needs to be shot. To quote cheesey John Wayne movies, "All battles are fought by scared men who would rather be somewhere else." It's either poignant or a load of bull depending on your perspective, but either way it inadvertently makes the point that being in the same boat as the other guy won't stop you from catching a round. Anyway, I suppose you could say my characters tend towards the amoral, but it's more of the self-absorbed greedy type rather than sadism for the sake of sadism. They tend to be somewhat hypocritical; they've got little problem with Blood Magic or organlegging in theory (It's really just another flavor of wetwork), and may even delve into it themselves if given the chance and the right rewards, but that sure as hell doesn't mean they'd trust a blood mage or organlegger. After all, such types are guaranteed to make a profit one way or the other from killing you; bad biz to trust guys who always could make a li'l something on the side by killing you. Generally they don't really see the point of rape, torture, or cannibalism though, since you can't really profit by such things and it's tremendously risky behavior. They do tend towards the whole "honor among thieves" thing though, and typically won't sell out their contacts. They also tend to be overcautious when dealing with things outside of their sphere of talents but filled with (often unfounded) bravado when dealing with things they consider their specialty.
DTFarstar
We didn't dwell in game, but he had all the specifics and should he have lived longer than he did then eventually it would have started getting around via contacts and later Lone Star. I present moral quandaries, but honestly most of the people that I play with are.... not immoral precisely, but we largely don't give a damn what happens to anyone who is not related to us directly in some way. We are largely selfish people in that way, I guess. Also, none of us are living out sick fantasies. We know each other very well and one thing that I tend to promote among my friends is absolute honesty. There is literally no question they can ask me that I will not answer. I encourage all of my friends to do the same and largely they do. So, we have no reason to be nervous when gritty things come up, we generally know how each other truly feels about the subject. It also helps that we have nicknamed ourselves "The Jackals" for when anyone shows weakness the group binds together to pull them down. Which isn't to say we kill each other, of course, but we do force each other to face things we otherwise might prefer to avoid and as a whole it makes us all stronger people. We also have a very acerbic sense of humor as a result. In general it has made us capable of facing without discomfort anything at all that is not completely real.

Chris
CircuitBoyBlue
There's nothing I wouldn't do, ever. But there's tons of things I've had characters do, and had the rest of the players look at me funny. Depending on which character I'm playing, and the situation, I'll either stand by it or feel bad. And it usually has more to do with how many of the consequences the character is confronted directly with. I'm not sure I've ever had a character who's balked at the idea of blowing up a building that "needed" to be blown up, and accepting some collateral damage. But even if the other guy's a fully-armed assassin specifically out to kill my character, if I sneak up behind him and slit his throat, that's gonna scar me.

And things have changed now that I play a shaman. Theoretically, I'm probably supposed to be protecting the city. So far, it's been a rather loose interpretation of "protect," but I'm at sort of a spiritual crisis point that will either turn me entirely bitter, or give me something to fight for.
arathian
As a GM, I never make the NPC opposition too weak. The cops all use Jazz and have an assault rifle and ballistic shield in the trunk.

I have yet to have a hot female elf NPC that didn't have better cyberware than the PCs.

If PCs are bloodthirsty, Aztechnology tries to "recruit" them, leading to retirement if they don't change their ways.

So, there are no limits or rules, but certain behaviors lead to consequences.

-E-
kzt
It really depends. Most of my characters (as in the vast majority) have considered themselves good guys and been pretty careful how much force is used, what jobs they take and how they carry them out. Blowing up buildings full of bystanders was something they simply wouldn't do. One had a duty to the emperor bit that would have had her do pretty much anything given valid orders, left on her own she was pretty reasonable. My outlaw biker character wasn't a nice guy at all. Pretty much amoral, a misogynist with a mean streak. There wasn't much he wouldn't do, either for money or just because he liked it. devil.gif
Rajaat99
As a GM, I won't allow my players to rape anyone. It's just wrong. Although, they have killed a baby before. Some how that seems less wrong. Trust me, the baby was asking for it. (I'm sure it's because I'm tired, but I find that hilarious).
Whipstitch
The whole "bloodthirsty" talk always makes me nervous, but that's mostly because I once had a GM best described as a Vengeful Old Testament God. Now, if players are stupidly bloodthirsty that's one thing; notoriety and contacts no longer giving you sensitive assignments because the last wetwork job you did caught more headlines than the Mayan Cutter is one thing, but the vengeful Old Testament GM approach to thing like PCs who decide against leaving a witness always hit me as inane when it's easy just to Fade To Black away from the awkward parts of the scenario. Hell, the Vengeful GM once offered us a wetwork job and then promptly got pissed when we accepted. Honestly.

My all time favorite example of this phenomenon happened about the 3rd session I ever had with the Vengeful GM (who I barely knew at that point) and involved the PC that is my forum namesake. I'll be blunt: ol' Whipstitch as I imagined him was the kind of guy who wouldn't have much qualms about selling some poor dead slot's organs if they got cacked in a firefight. It had never came up, but frankly, he was a former Crash Cart implant surgeon who got addicted to painkillers and ended up as a runner, and he had a rather expensive drug habit to fund (he liked speedballing Bliss & Novacoke). He wasn't a bloodthirsty character, per se; actually, he was the only one in the group who consistently used stick 'n' shock and actually stabilized a ganger he got into a fight with on one occasion. It's not like he was jumping people in alleys and selling eyeballs out of the back of his van; he just figured if someone happened to die he could make some cred out of the otherwise unfortunate situation. Anyway, Whipstitch got attacked by an overconfident hitman (more of a friendly rival prior to the attempt on Whip's life) in his apartment and took him out with his monowhip. I decided to to toss him in the bathtub, pulled out my Tag Eraser and MAD scanner and announced my intention to get rid of any RFID tags and to rip out his Cybereyes and implanted commlink while calling up my Fixer for help selling/disposing of the body and to arrange for a place for the team to lay low for a while until he knew why this guy came after him. The GM's reaction might charitably be described as going apeshit. The dumb part is he easily could have easily greased my character simply for waiting around so long to get his ducks in a row rather than simply fleeing the building immediately after the attack.

So really, there's only three things I won't do as a GM: one is punishing my players for doing horrible, terrible things successfully in a reasonable manner. I hate to put it so bluntly, but were a character to rape or torture someone in one of my games they'd likely be better off killing the victim afterwards to avoid leaving a witness. Second, I will never leave my players in the dark as to what kind of social contract will be accepted at the gaming table; we agree to more or less live by a general "alignment" for lack of a better term or we don't play. This, btw, basically means that the aforementioned rape/torture scenario typically won't happen in the first place. Third, I will not throw moral quandaries in front of my players and then viciously punish them for doing something perfectly sensible but morally reprehensible. You gave them an option and they took it; now don't screw them over unless what they did was stupid.
Daier Mune
with my current Face character, there is little he wouldn't do for the right price. sexual assualt is on his taboo list, but torture, defiling corpses and organlegging are not. he's not a guy who really thinks about consequences, and relies on his social graces to get out of trouble. he's even taken to messing with his fellow runners (taking personal cuts of the profit, lying to contacts). i really don't expect him to live for too much longer.
Kremlin KOA
QUOTE (arathian @ Feb 5 2008, 01:42 PM) *
As a GM, I never make the NPC opposition too weak. The cops all use Jazz and have an assault rifle and ballistic shield in the trunk.

I have yet to have a hot female elf NPC that didn't have better cyberware than the PCs.

If PCs are bloodthirsty, Aztechnology tries to "recruit" them, leading to retirement if they don't change their ways.

So, there are no limits or rules, but certain behaviors lead to consequences.

-E-

hmm, sleep spells + concealment power + astral cleansing = team kept in Jazz, assault rifles and ballistic shields for life
Kremlin KOA
It varies for me, depending on the character. I have played total white hats, and scum who I would never have worked with IRL

My curent fun character is a hacker/sammy who has absolutely no qualms killing somebody. He has a thing about protecting children though. His first kill in the campaign was when he found out that a Triad underboss was threatening a Made Man's son (it was search and rescue for that Mafia's Don.) so he hacked the controls of the Triad's vehicle and left a backdoor, keeping it quiet until the last second, he waited for the guy to be driving over a bridge and then suddenly locked the doors and made the steerring swerve, while accelerating at full speed off the bridge into the putrid sound.
Rotbart van Dainig
QUOTE (Whipstitch @ Feb 5 2008, 06:41 AM) *
So really, there's only three things I won't do as a GM: one is punishing my players for doing horrible, terrible things successfully in a reasonable manner. I hate to put it so bluntly, but were a character to rape or torture someone in one of my games they'd likely be better off killing the victim afterwards to avoid leaving a witness.

On the other hand, given the guaranteed 100min memory loss caused by Leäl, killing is only cost-efficient for people nobody really cares about.
Cardul
As a player: It really depends on the character. I mean, I played a troll rigger who had a dedicated Samurai Seat in his Eurovan..a seat loaded with explosives and ball-bearings, and consisently kept any modifications made recently on the Eurovan from his team. (in fact..when I play a Rigger, there WILL be a dedicated "hot seat" for a Samurai...why do they ALWAYS pull a gun and try to tell the Rigger how to drive?) But, then again, I also played an Ork Sam who had no problem blowing up a wall where the guards were hiding behind..but killed 10 'weeners to save a kitten. I also played an Orkess Shaman(celtic, used the Wise Warrior to represent The Morrigan) who tended to not kill "grunts", but would kill anyone who she thought "worthy" of facing her not holding back.

As a GM: Well, I go by what the quisiest of the players can take. If they can't take being asked to pay for their new AR with a 10 year old girl? They won't get that demanded of them. However, as a GM, both me and my current GM both agree on one thing: your life expectancy is directly proportional to how smart you are. And, I admit, I tend to LIKE players who come up with daring schemes to do a run, so much so that, when we had a team of Runners once BASE jump off one building to get to their target building...well..that was just so crazy, that I gave it a Karma award, and had them surpise the guards wwh were not expecting something like that...that time. Of course..it never worked that good again wink.gif
arathian
QUOTE (Kremlin KOA @ Feb 5 2008, 07:07 AM) *
hmm, sleep spells + concealment power + astral cleansing = team kept in Jazz, assault rifles and ballistic shields for life

LOL. If they can get away with them before the SWAT team arrives. In my game, the Lone Star response to an Awakened threat includes their own Awakened officers. But, if the players do well against them they might score some foci as well.
Fuchs
In our first SR1/SR2 campaign in 1992, we had the weirdest team limits: No wetwork job was ever taken, but there were no qualms at all about collateral damage ("go get some more C-12" was the answer to many a problem), or bloodthirsty revenge. The team called themselves "Firestorm", but the rest just called them "psychos".

(Never to their face, of course, which led to an amusing session the player characters (and the players) spent chasing after this elusive new team on the scene called "psychos", "who are copying us!" Paranoid, the runners assumed the "psychos" were after them, since they supposedly hung out at the same places, but were never seen by the runners...)
Prime Mover
I leave no subject off limits the world is a dark and horrible place and I make sure my SR world is just a little bit darker. I do however hold the players responsible for there actions and thankfully theres a few in the group who act as moral compass for the rest of the team. We've had some very dark scenes of retribution and I try to keep wetwork to a minimum or aim them at targets that "derserved it" or there lead to beleive they did. In that respect I'm lucky, if my players didnt have a group morality I would probaby inject some via an npc.
FriendoftheDork
I don't think it's the GMs job to decide what a PC can or cannot do morally. You can of course set an "aligment" prior to the campaign, but if you don't you shouldn't suddenly tell a player that his PC can't chop someone up, or even rape because it is "wrong." Too much hippocracy for me, considering what you would allow killing, causing excessive collateral damage etc.

Some players and DM's can't handle certain topics, and if so it's best to deal with that before playing if possible, or have group agree to what can/can't be done.

And really, if someone does play a pedo and want to describe his rape in detail I'd just speed forward. "Ok, you kidnapped the kid, raped and abused him. So what do you want to do now?"

No player has the right to keep the spotlight on his PC for too long doing things that is not connected to the mission at hand or involves the team directly.
BFaolan
I generally play with an unspoken contract, because most of my players know each other reasonably well, but some are new.

I dislike, in general, black hat characters. That said, my current campaign has one amoral bastard who occasionally does good deeds when its easy, a troll that is now technically as well as practically insane (critically glitched an addiction roll, and burnout would have literally killed her, so I gave her a mental disorder from Augmentation), and a troll who cheers the fact that his brother is an outright terrorist. (Of course, said terrorist is a metahuman rights terrorist, and currently the teams major employer, so I guess its a wash).
I was planning for a bit more of a white hat campaign (and the other characters are mostly gray, generally due to not defining themselves), but the players wanted grey. So they got it!

I will generally allow most things - if its included in the expectation of the campaign. Which leads to the fact that I try and keep the expectations clear all around. When everyone's on the same page, a lot fewer problems happen.
Kyoto Kid
...well so far for Violet's purpose, our team has broken the #1 tenet as we were sent on one wetware job and another shapes up to end that way. Not the kind of thing she's into. Second, while she's trying to keep a low profile (paranoid delusions about a certain Corp.) the last couple missions wound up more like terrorist ops which garnered a lot of press coverage with one causing civilian collateral damage.

Looks like it's time for her to say �'וטן ט×?ָ�' (good bye) and slip back into the shadows for a while.
Whipstitch
QUOTE (Rotbart van Dainig @ Feb 5 2008, 08:30 AM) *
On the other hand, given the guaranteed 100min memory loss caused by Leal, killing is only cost-efficient for people nobody really cares about.

Yeah, Leal would work too. Depends on the scenario. It was really a hypothetical example, honestly; nobody in my group is really interested in roleplaying such scenarios anyway, which is nice, 'cuz I could certainly think of better things to do with my time than roleplay such scenarios. My group's not really big on making sure the security guards or other witnesses are dead either anyway; it's been made clear that there's so many surveilance methods in SR that they quite sensibly figure that if you're seen by security guards you've likely been seen by an image linked set of cybereyes, contacts anyway, hand scanner or security camera; best thing to do is just wear disguises and move fast.
Hank
This one time, I had my players kill a puppy so it wouldn't give away their position.

But that was an evil campaign.
Feshy
Some of my favorite Shadowrun moments where with teams that did not agree on "how far was too far."

One of the best was a team of three people -- myself (playing a former bodyguard turned street sam), an elf adept, and a shaman. The street sam was would go to great lengths to avoid killing people, and would outright refuse any wetwork. He eventually earned the respect of the adept, who joined him in his "no killing if at all avoidable" ways.

What the two of us didn't know is that the shaman was the most deceitful, scheeming, mercenary, dangerous psychopath in the sprawl. Two of the three of us didn't realize it, but our team was constantly being hired for wetwork. After the adept and I had neutralized the opposition, and were busy with our objective, the shaman would be slitting people's throats, or far worse (and usually far more intricate.)

This sometimes backfired, and dramatically so. The "last straw" was when we were hired to retrieve the ears of a group of gangers. The adept and I, at great expense and personal risk, managed to trap them in a building and flood it with nerostun gas. (Being a Street Sam can be awful, as every risky situation that we aren't prepared for is the sam's responsibility. "Uh... I guess I have two dice I can roll for that 'deploy dangerous chemical without training test'... with a huge modifier.") So, we knock them out, take the ears, and head upstairs to steal some goodie that I'm now convinced was only a diversion that the Johnson and the shaman contrived. The shaman keeps 'lookout' down stairs. The adept and I return, and check the gangers to make sure the shaman hasn't killed them in their sleep. They are alive -- but we fail to notice the invisible can of gasoline, and (because of our gas masks) the smell of gasoline fumes all throughout the building.

We get in the van, and start to drive off, when the shaman steals my shotgun, and opens the back door of the van and fires at the gas can. Conversation goes like this:

Shaman: I wip out the sam's shotgun from its hiding place under the van's floor, and fire it at the can of gasoline you can all now see *rolls dice*.
GM: (GM had previously ruled that firearms cause movie-like sparks in the future) The gas can ignites, setting off the built-up fumes in the building. It explodes in a tremendous fireball --
Me: No it doesn't.
*everyone stares at me*
Me: That shotgun is loaded with Gel rounds.
Shaman: No... it can't be. Even you aren't that much of a pacifist wus.
Me: Points to character sheet
*everyone bursts into laughter*
GM (still laughing): Okay, the round hits the gas can, and with a dull "thwump" knocks it over.
The shaman, once he recovers his composure, is forced to manaball them to get paid, and is promptly thrown from the van by the adept.

That was the last run we thought we did with that shaman -- though the player went so far as to have the character undergo a sex change to re-infiltrate our team and hire us up for more wetwork. You have to admire that kind of determination to evil -- or to whatever the Johnson had on him.
Nightwalker450
QUOTE (Feshy)
Shaman: No... it can't be. Even you aren't that much of a pacifist wus.

That is awesome.
Spike
QUOTE (Cardul @ Feb 5 2008, 04:32 AM) *
when I play a Rigger, there WILL be a dedicated "hot seat" for a Samurai...why do they ALWAYS pull a gun and try to tell the Rigger how to drive

Irony: The first every Shadowrun Game I played (way back in 1st ed...) it was the RIGGER who pulled the gun on my Sammy during the actual RUN... of course, he was the worst munchkin cheese, taking rigger implants as cheap wired reflexes... before they wisely made that specifically illegal. I was proved 'in the right' by the GM amusingly (was going to kill a guard we had just beaten before he hit the panic button, rigger drew down to stop me (gun shots are loud, sayeth he, I have a silencer, noob, sayeth I...) and the guard hit the panic button during the Rigger's moment of glory.

Man, I hated that group...

More recently I was the one everyone (if they were smart) hated. My 'bio-adept gunslinger' kept anywhere from 25% to 50% of the rest of the teams pay on every job, sent fellow runners into 'die gloriously so that I might keep your share' numerous times, and on the very last run (escort a sealed cargo van to Portland) I actually drove the real van an alternate route while visibly sending the team down I-5 as decoys. The Minigun that lit them up was... amusing (my character was already in portland at a coffee shop listening to their screams over the network... if I'd been really sharp I might have recorded it for sale...).

I sold salvaged equipment, organs, cyberware. I was a hitman... and my team was mostly disposable meatsheilds and ablative armor... in short, I was a bastard. Sadly the GM was fighting with his wife and the game died before anyone caught on... you'd think not actually BEING on the run with them might have clued them in....
Whipstitch
I dislike things like that since they tend to bypass dice mechanics and rely on metagame presumptions. Unless your PC's a Face or something it just generally rubs me the wrong way when the OOC "We're all buddies!" thing leads PCs have an easier time screwing fellow players over due to the general assumption that the PCs are on the same side. I'm fine with running a game that way if people want to, but as a GM I'd prefer some warning prior to the games and would basically require that the characters don't necessarily know eachother all that well in their backgrounds and would likely let people know that anything goes prior to the start of the campaign.
fool
QUOTE (Daier Mune @ Feb 5 2008, 03:32 AM) *
with my current Face character, there is little he wouldn't do for the right price. sexual assualt is on his taboo list, but torture, defiling corpses and organlegging are not. he's not a guy who really thinks about consequences, and relies on his social graces to get out of trouble. he's even taken to messing with his fellow runners (taking personal cuts of the profit, lying to contacts). i really don't expect him to live for too much longer.

especially if any of other players ever read this post
Spike
QUOTE (Whipstitch @ Feb 5 2008, 10:20 AM) *
I dislike things like that since they tend to bypass dice mechanics and rely on metagame presumptions. Unless your PC's a Face or something it just generally rubs me the wrong way when the OOC "We're all buddies!" thing leads PCs have an easier time screwing fellow players over due to the general assumption that the PCs are on the same side. I'm fine with running a game that way if people want to, but as a GM I'd prefer some warning prior to the games and would basically require that the characters don't necessarily know eachother all that well in their backgrounds and would likely let people know that anything goes prior to the start of the campaign.

Weirdly, the Metagame was what should have made this sort of thing impossible. I wasn't 'passing notes' or conferencing with the GM on the side, everything I did I did in full view of the other players.

In CHARACTER my character was right in the game. I was playing him, near the end, like a johnson, calling up the team and offering them a stripped down version of the deal my character had been offered. Money and contacts flowed through my character, giving me the leverage necessary to run these scams.

I wasn't a 'face', but I had the charisma and connections to be believable in this secondary role.
Kyoto Kid
QUOTE (Cardul)
in fact..when I play a Rigger, there WILL be a dedicated "hot seat" for a Samurai...why do they ALWAYS pull a gun and try to tell the Rigger how to drive?

...A Sammy kept doing that to my Rigger Josie one campaign. She finally got so annoyed that she stopped the vehicle in front of a bar, jacked out, grabbed her M22-A2, got out of the vehicle & then told the Sammy, "OK Homme, you say you can do better? Then y'all do it, Ahm gonna get myself a drink." After tossing him the keycard, closed the door, slung the rifle over her shoulder, & walked into the bar. About a half hour later, one of the other team members came in and told her everything was fine. Indeed, the Sammy finally had ceased his backseat driving as they impressed on him it wasn't a good idea to piss her off like that, especially if she was flying a plane instead. [and yes, in such an instance she would have jacked out, set the controls on autopilot, grabbed her chute & jumped leaving them to fend for themselves.]

Of course this was in 3rd ed when Riggers commanded a bit more respect as few if any characters knew how to fly a plane and everyone inside a vehicle was limited to the driver's initiative (which without a VCR was 1d6 no matter what other boosting one had). .
knasser
Kyoto Kid - Please tell me that your avatar isn't what I think it is. eek.gif
Kyoto Kid
QUOTE (knasser @ Feb 5 2008, 12:15 PM) *

...why yes, yes it is one of those cute cuddly little guys who'll rip your throat out.

...wanted something to convey the nature of my namesake ('cept she doesn't drink blood...at least I don't think she's a follower of that Adept way.
Grinder
QUOTE (knasser @ Feb 5 2008, 09:15 PM) *

What's the problem with it? ninja.gif
Kyoto Kid
...seen Fisty's Avatar yet?
Grinder
Of course and I love it (and him biggrin.gif ) love.gif

But he is one of the DBC....
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Dumpshock Forums © 2001-2012