Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Stick and Shock
Dumpshock Forums > Discussion > Shadowrun
Sir_Psycho
See title. Doesn't S&S make tasers redundant? especially because you could load a holdout pistol with S&S and it's more concealable and just as powerful as a taser (same conceal as a heavy pistol? And if you make the jump to light pistol, you get a semi-automatic firing rate and a larger clip! Not to mention the bonus of being able to put a wide range of other pistol ammo in.
Ryu
Tasers do not require a permit or registration.
Malicant
Tasers are cheap and easy to get by. Not everything is meant to be used by runners. Remember that when you get tasered by some old lady because you were rude to her. rotfl.gif
Ravor
Also SnS ammo isn't universally liked, I remember someone's houseruling that dropped the DV down to 4s.
Ryu
QUOTE (Ravor @ Feb 9 2008, 05:26 PM) *
Also SnS ammo isn't universally liked, I remember someone's houseruling that dropped the DV down to 4s.

We houseruled it so that net hits don´t increase damage.
Fortune
QUOTE (Ryu @ Feb 10 2008, 05:20 AM) *

I'm not so sure that's a house rule, but if so, it's a common one.
Ryu
One could read the german edition that way (depending on the time the weapon damage code is replaced, base or final), but that would IMO malign the text.

Still, the rule is very sensible if your campaign pays more than a few hundred bucks per round. Else Automatic Pistol + Shocker replace even LMGs for close-distance firefights.
Kyoto Kid
QUOTE (Ryu @ Feb 9 2008, 10:20 AM) *

...actually, I do believe the DV is fixed at 6S(e) as the damage code replaces the normal DV for the weapon. I have not seen any rules that mention the DV can be increased by net hits. However net hits do increase the duration of the secondary effects...

QUOTE (SR4 p. 154)
If the target fails, he immediately falls
and is incapacitated for a number of Combat Turns equal to 2
+ net hits scored on the attack test. Even if the target succeeds,
he suffers a +2 dice pool modifier to all action tests due to dis-
orientation from the shock for the same period.
Shrike30
The ammo gives the weapon a DV of 6S(e). It doesn't say a thing about that DV being treated differently from all the other DV's in the game.

My fix for S&S ammo was to say that it's only available as a shotgun round. It's worked out pretty well. Also gives all those folks who like slinging an underbarrel shotgun a good choice of lethal or nonlethal ammo to play with.
ixombie
Another reason for tasers is that tasers are more quiet than guns. A gun firing stik n shok is still a gun. I'm not positive how loud a taser is, but I think it's at least as quiet as silenced gunfire. The fact that they're totally, 100% above-board legal is still one of the best justifications, though. And they're not half bad - if I was a character who didn't do a lot of combat, like a face or a hacker, I'd seriously consider relying entirely on tasers. The only people they can't take down are those with nonconductive armor, which I think will be relatively rare, especially on NPCs.
Ravor
I disagree, I think the various Armor Mods would be fairly common, at least at the lower ratings.
Prime Mover
Just curious, if house ruling no DV increase on S&S, everyone doing same with other shock weapons?
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Dumpshock Forums © 2001-2012