Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Abuse of Sustaining Foci...?
Dumpshock Forums > Discussion > Shadowrun
Kage2020
Hey there... Quick question for you. What is to prevent an individual with a Sustaining Foci to cast the spell into the foci and, if they don't like the results, merely deactivate and recast it for a better result? Just did a quick scan of SR3 and MitS and didn't see anything obvious...

If the spell changes then I'm perfectly fine with the idea of the focus needing to be re-bonded (i.e. the idea of magical cleansing). But if the spell is primed for a given spell, then...?

Many thanks for your patience and help with yet another simple question from me... biggrin.gif

Kage
Sphynx
Why would you prevent them from recasting for a better result? They have that same option without a Sustaining Focus, it's natural to want the best result for any spell.

The only Canon hinderance is drain.

Sphynx
Kage2020
That's what I thought... Thank you.

It is what I love about this forum. Ask a simple question and you get a really simple, to the point and, more importantly, rapid response. You could almost be connected to the 'Net in the middle of a face-to-face SR game and pause it for a second while you tried to get a response from Dumpshock! Excellent! spin.gif

Kage
Tanka
I wouldn't try that. You usually end up SOL and get stuck waiting for an answer for a few days. frown.gif
Frag-o Delux
QUOTE (Kage2020)

If the spell changes then I'm perfectly fine with the idea of the focus needing to be re-bonded (i.e. the idea of magical cleansing). But if the spell is primed for a given spell, then...?

Is this another question? The way I read it at least the "But if the spell is primed for a given spell, then...?" part implys a second question.

If you are asking if a sustaining focus is used for one spell does it need to be re-bonded for use with another spell? I believe the answer is yes, when you bond a sustaining foci you have to bond it for a particular spell. At least that is the way I read the rule, and have been doing it since I started playing a shaman. So if you had a sustaining foci for Improved Invisibility, and decided you need something else sustained then you need to rebond it for that spell.
Jr. Woodchuck
QUOTE (tanka)
I wouldn't try that. You usually end up SOL and get stuck waiting for an answer for a few days. frown.gif

LOL happened to you too eh? smile.gif
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Dumpshock Forums © 2001-2012