Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Magic Attribute/Initiate Grade
Dumpshock Forums > Discussion > Shadowrun
Entropian
Am I correct in the assumption that there is no "hard cap" to your Magic att/Initiate grade? Since your Initiate Grade is limited by your Magic attribute, and your max Magic goes up with each grade there doesn't seem to be an upper limit (other than the ever increasing karma cost).
jago668
So far as I read, nope, no limit.
Feshy
That's correct.
Kyoto Kid
...except karma awarded and longevity of campaign.
Ding Chavez
That's the way I read it as well. The only time it would matter is if your mage had 5.x points of cyber/bioware, in which case his magic attribute would always be less than his initiate grade.
ArkonC
QUOTE (Ding Chavez @ Feb 21 2008, 06:04 AM) *
That's the way I read it as well. The only time it would matter is if your mage had 5.x points of cyber/bioware, in which case his magic attribute would always be less than his initiate grade.

Actually, magic would always be equal to initiation...
jago668
Not really since with 5.x essence your max magic is 5. So if you initiate once, your magic can now be 6. So Magic 6, Initiate Grade 1. 6 =/= 1

Normally your max magic is 6 more than your initiate grade. For every point (or fraction thereof) of essence loss, that goes down by 1. So at 5.x essence your max magic is 5 points higher than your initiate grade.
ArkonC
QUOTE (jago668 @ Feb 21 2008, 08:59 AM) *
Not really since with 5.x essence your max magic is 5. So if you initiate once, your magic can now be 6. So Magic 6, Initiate Grade 1. 6 =/= 1

Normally your max magic is 6 more than your initiate grade. For every point (or fraction thereof) of essence loss, that goes down by 1. So at 5.x essence your max magic is 5 points higher than your initiate grade.

Euhm, what you say is true...
But:

QUOTE (Ding Chavez @ Feb 21 2008, 06:04 AM) *

(Emphasis mine)

He didn't say the mage had 5.x E left, he said the mage had 5.x points of cyber/bio...
So we just had the best kind of online "argument"...
The one where we're both right... smile.gif
jago668
Hooray reading comprehension ftw. =)
Redjack
I assume this thread is <= sr3?
darthmord
Red, it appears to me they are talking about SR4.

But yeah, Magic attribute works like so...

MAGIC_BASE_MAX - MAGIC_LOST = MODIFIED_MAGIC_MAX

MAX_MAGIC = MODIFIED_MAGIC_MAX + INITIATE_GRADE

What this means is if you have 3 Essence lost to implants, you have a modified Max Magic of 3. Each Grade of Initiation raises your max by +1. You still have to pay to raise the stat but the max keeps climbing with each Initiation.

You end up tracking 3 numbers... Current Magic, Max Magic, & Initiation Grade.

Basically, as long as you keep your Essence =>at 1.0 & Magic =>1, you can always Initiate and keep raising your Magic attribute.

Now if you have 1+ Grades of Initiation under your belt and your Essence runs <1.0 but >0.1, your maximum Initiate Grade will be equal to your Magic Attribute. This is because you cannot have more Initiate Grades than your Current Magic attribute until you raise your Magic Attribute. (Yes, this means a Cyberzombie could Initiate but can't go beyond 1 grade since they can't raise Magic beyond 1).
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Dumpshock Forums © 2001-2012