Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: HUD / Headset computers
Dumpshock Forums > Discussion > Shadowrun
mfb
what's the difference between a HUD and a headset computer? besides the price, i mean.
RedmondLarry
A Heads-Up-Display is a display device that shows information on a something transparent in front of the user. For example, Speedometer and Tachometer information can be put onto the windshield of a race car. Infrared detection of deer in the road at night can result in the image of a deer being placed at the right spot on the windshield for the driver to brake in time.

In shadowrun, we commonly think of a heads-up-display being built into an armored helmet, and capable of showing city maps, terrain maps, locations of friends, etc.

A headset computer is lightweight computer that can be worn. One would either use a heads-up-display for output, or a tiny display device worn like glasses.
mfb
the HUD is a computer, in SR. which is why i'm confused--why shell out the big bucks for a computer that displays info in your field of vision (HUD), when you can pay much less for a computer that displays info in your field of vision (headset)?
Crusher Bob
I think because you can see the outside world with the HUD on, while you can't with the headset computer?
Spookymonster
I'd interpret the HUD as an accessory to an armored helmet, while a headset is a standalone device. Given the low concealment ratings for the headset, I'd also say it is probably bulky enough to make it uncomfortable (if not impossible) to wear under a helmet. There's no canon to back that up, however.
Ol' Scratch
HUDs are, based upon my reading of the context of what they are on SR3 page 288, miniaturized headset computers built into something small and inconspicious such as a monocle or a pair of glasses. A headset computer is way more obvious, and usually built into something where you don't care if everyone knows you have a HUD available, such as a helmet's visor. It comes complete with a single port on the side and screams "I am a computer, behold my magnifence," while the meat and potatoes of the HUD can probably be tossed into a pocket and uses a wireless connection to access the display.

Note that a headset has a Concealability rating, while a HUD has absolutely none... not because it's obvious, but because it's impossible to tell if there is one on a visual inspection alone.
Spookymonster
QUOTE (Doctor Funkenstein @ Dec 4 2003, 08:56 AM)
HUDs are, based upon my reading of the context of what they are on SR3 page 288, miniaturized headset computers built into something small and inconspicious such as a monocle or a pair of glasses.  A headset computer is way more obvious, and usually built into something where you don't care if everyone knows you have a HUD available, such as a helmet's visor.  It comes complete with a single port on the side and screams "I am a computer, behold my magnifence," while the meat and potatoes of the HUD can probably be tossed into a pocket and uses a wireless connection to access the display.

Note that a headset has a Concealability rating, while a HUD has absolutely none... not because it's obvious, but because it's impossible to tell if there is one on a visual inspection alone.

You're definitions are mixed up. According to the book, a headset can be built into a pair of glasses. A HUD projects onto a surface (like a helmet visor) in front of the user. At least, according to the book.

[edit]
Nope. Now that I have the book in front of me, I see that you' had the definitions correct. Sorry.
[/edit]

As for Concealability=n/a, I think this really just means that, as an accessory to a helmet, the HUD uses the helmet's Con rating, rather than having its own. If they meant it to be near impossible to detect by itself, they'd have given it a Con of 12+.

Again, no canon to back it up - just my thoughts.

Siege
I'll weigh in with my two bits:

A headset computer looks like you're wearing a computer or, in 2060, a Walkman radio of some sort. The headset will probably have some sort of display ability, either through a datajack or a HUD.

A HUD (Heads Up Display) is an accessory for displaying information in the user's field of vision. Basically it's like the Retinal Display and/or Image Link cyberware, or even a computer monitor that you can wear. In canon, it can be integrated into helmet visors and I believe sunglasses.

Personally, I'd rule that a headset computer cannot be worn under a helmet simply because a helmet by it's nature must sit close and snug to the head to be of any value which wouldn't allow for much of anything else underneath it.

-Siege

This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Dumpshock Forums © 2001-2012