Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Recruiting: No more ganking!
Dumpshock Forums > Discussion > Welcome to the Shadows
Pages: 1, 2, 3
quentra
Huh, possible connections with both. First, with Gray, I do like the concept and I think having Uleso set Gray up a pirate trid feed is doable. But how would that work with Gray's gremlins thing, is my only question. For Piece, since both of them seem to like cars, I'd say make them decent aquaintences. Run together a couple of times before, caught a few drinks. I'll hold off on posting the entirety of my sheet just yet, to see what contacts people come up with and ways to tie them together.

Oh, a quick request. Can anyone with Arsenal suggest any good mods? I've got a Suzuki Mirage rigger adapted and weapon mounted, but I don't really know what else is available. Also, for my drone, I want a floating gun drone, anything like that around or moddable? ...I want Arsenal so bad...
BlackHat
That sounds good. For Piece, I am thinking that his car is mostly for show, and a money-sink. He's not a mechanic, he just wants a bad-ass ride (that can be inconspicuous when he's on the job) - so knowing a guy with tech skills who is also into cars would be a good thing. If he had a friend that was also into cars, and joyriding, or racing, or whatever - that would be cool too.
BlackHat
From Arsenal, hopefully without violating any terms or anything, assume that any rigger is going to drop 1500 on a morphing license plate and spoof chip for his car. Without that, you've effectively got an oldentime's license plate that an be tracked, and "they" can track you through the Grid to various extents. If you want to avoid paying for gas, mostly for fluff, there are some other mods you can get to override the gridguide restrictions, and draw power directly from the street. Outside of that, there are a LOT of crazy shit you can add to your car, from ejector seats, to rockets for jumping, to a blimp-balloon for flying.

At the end of the day, though, the Runner in the unmodified mirage (common vehicle) will be a lot less conspicuous than the jackass parachuting down from his flying car, or stomping down the street in a four-legged car - so don't stress too much about it.

Drone-wise, they clarified that you round up for the number of weapon-mounts that a vehicle can hold (so eve na MCT FlySpy could have a weapon mount) but also clarified that in the case of small drones firing weapons, the GM might have it only provide recoil-comp equal to the drones body (rather than completely negating it).

On the subject of weapon mounts... the typical weapon mount is not concealed in any way, and neither is the weapon sticking out of it, and I believe it is availability F. Using hte modification rules in arsenal, you can make a concealed weapon mount (at two levels of concealment - one where the weapon has to come out to be fired like a james bond car, and the other where it is concealed even while firing), but the availability goes up quickly, so that one cannot buy a fully-concealed remote-operated weapon mount (for a drone, for example). Even your car, if you're rigging it, you will want remote-operated weapon mounts (the alternative is manual, where another character is sitting at the turret behind the weapon). In both cases, the weapon is in "fixed" position, which means it cannot rotate on a turret, so is either facing forward, backwards, or up, or something like that. The total cost for a remote-operated, fixed-flexibility, internal-visibility, normal-sized weapon mount is 3,000, an has availability 12 - so that's probably what you will want to go with. If, for no other reason, than that your car won't raise any red flags if some cop saw a forbidden weapon-mount on the hood - let-alone, a weapon. wink.gif

There are some new flying drones in the book (there is even a weapon modification that can make a gun INTO a flying drone, although the availability is very high), but the flying drones in the BBB are still good. It is not the case that everything in Arsenal is better than what is in the BBB, it is just more likely to make use of the new gimmicky modifications. smile.gif

Gray
QUOTE (quentra @ Mar 12 2008, 11:26 AM) *
Huh, possible connections with both. First, with Gray, I do like the concept and I think having Uleso set Gray up a pirate trid feed is doable. But how would that work with Gray's gremlins thing, is my only question.

Gray Only has Gremlins for -5BP, so he's not going to fry the trid every time he turns it on. He just needs one less '1' on a Test for a glitch. But watch out if he tries to program it to record something. He certainly can't try to fix it if it's on the firtz or he will fry it for sure. Hence he needs his buddy, the Cable Guy.

QUOTE (quentra @ Mar 12 2008, 11:26 AM) *
I'll hold off on posting the entirety of my sheet just yet, to see what contacts people come up with and ways to tie them together.

Gray's contacts are in his write up, but here are their stats:

Contacts (13 BP)
Katie Bauer (L:4 C:3)
Reporter

Dances With Weasels (L:3 C:3)
Talismonger
Shadow
Black a couple of things. I looked through the rules to see if your concept was doable (despite the anime flash to it) and it isn't. Under barrel weapons can not be larger than the weapon they are mounting under. Ergo you could not mount Katanas under any weapon I can think of.

The other thing is that Katanas are indeed a two handed weapon, so duel wielding them would be out. Perhaps a guy who carries a sword in one hand and a pistol in the other, you could take Pistol at 4 and spec in semi automatics to get 6 to help offsett the duel wielding penalties.

A piece of advise from the few games I ave played SR4 in. It's a lot harder to get into melee range than it was in SR3, due to the change in the movement rules. Bear that in mind when getting in fights.
BlackHat
Th is mod is generally only available for longarms, machine
guns, and assault cannons. It is also possible to install this system
into melee and other unconventional weapons—popular options
include single-shot weapons installed in parallel guns with
an under-barrel one-shot shotgun barrel and smart swords with
a small pistol in the hilt to fire a bullet along the blade
, etc.

(Bold emphasis mine)

If you want katanas to be two-handed, that's cool. I can switch any swords he has (if I stick with them) to be monofiliment longswords instead.
Its also cool if you'd just rather not have gunblades in your campaign. smile.gif It was a bit of a stretch, but that last sentence in the modification description just looked too cool to pass up.
quentra
QUOTE (BlackHat @ Mar 12 2008, 11:48 AM) *
Drone-wise, they clarified that you round up for the number of weapon-mounts that a vehicle can hold (so eve na MCT FlySpy could have a weapon mount) but also clarified that in the case of small drones firing weapons, the GM might have it only provide recoil-comp equal to the drones body (rather than completely negating it).

So I can put an assault rifle or LMG on a say...C-D Dalmatian? How much would an unconcealed gun cost, and would there be any penalties to handling or speed?

On the subject of weapon mounts... the typical weapon mount is not concealed in any way, and neither is the weapon sticking out of it, and I believe it is availability F. Using hte modification rules in arsenal, you can make a concealed weapon mount (at two levels of concealment - one where the weapon has to come out to be fired like a james bond car, and the other where it is concealed even while firing), but the availability goes up quickly, so that one cannot buy a fully-concealed remote-operated weapon mount (for a drone, for example). Even your car, if you're rigging it, you will want remote-operated weapon mounts (the alternative is manual, where another character is sitting at the turret behind the weapon). In both cases, the weapon is in "fixed" position, which means it cannot rotate on a turret, so is either facing forward, backwards, or up, or something like that. The total cost for a remote-operated, fixed-flexibility, internal-visibility, normal-sized weapon mount is 3,000, an has availability 12 - so that's probably what you will want to go with. If, for no other reason, than that your car won't raise any red flags if some cop saw a forbidden weapon-mount on the hood - let-alone, a weapon. wink.gif

Sounds good. I just have an image of my Mirage popping out two machine guns from the front a la any spy movie and just mowing shit down. For the costs, it is 3000 plus the cost of the gun, right?

There are some new flying drones in the book (there is even a weapon modification that can make a gun INTO a flying drone, although the availability is very high), but the flying drones in the BBB are still good. It is not the case that everything in Arsenal is better than what is in the BBB, it is just more likely to make use of the new gimmicky modifications. smile.gif

Well, I like the Dalmatian enough. Add a gun or two and I think I'll have my flying drone, though its pretty big. Is there like a container or trunk I can add to my bike to carry my drone in? Oh, and spoof-chips+morphing plate are 1500 total, or are they different costs? How much is the gridguide thingie and free gas? Sorry for all the questions, but this stuff sound like must haves.
BlackHat
QUOTE (quentra @ Mar 12 2008, 12:14 PM) *
So I can put an assault rifle or LMG on a say...C-D Dalmatian? How much would an unconcealed gun cost, and would there be any penalties to handling or speed?

Yes. Unconcealed is $2000, assuming the other variables stay the same (Fixed flexibility, remote control). Also, in terms of modification slots (which you can probably almost ignore, for now) it would take 1 instead of 3. modification slots limit how much of the cool stuff you can cram into one vehicle or drone.

Sounds good. I just have an image of my Mirage popping out two machine guns from the front a la any spy movie and just mowing shit down. For the costs, it is 3000 plus the cost of the gun, right?

Yes. Gun is not included in that. 3 modification slots (total available slots = body, or 4, whichever is higher)

Well, I like the Dalmatian enough. Add a gun or two and I think I'll have my flying drone, though its pretty big. Is there like a container or trunk I can add to my bike to carry my drone in? Oh, and spoof-chips+morphing plate are 1500 total, or are they different costs? How much is the gridguide thingie and free gas? Sorry for all the questions, but this stuff sound like must haves.

1500 total. Gridguide + GridGuide Override costs 2750 (and eats up 2 modification slots, only available for ground vehicles). Power is free within cities, in nice areas (not in the low-end districts where poeple use them to steal free power for their homes or something). There are drone racks available. For a large drone, like the Dalmation, you need either a large drone rack, or a large landing drone rack - but both of those require a vehicle with body 15 or higher (so, not your sedan - basically, need a big van or something).
quentra
Cool. So my Mirage isn't gonna be a popout rocketlauncherpwnallw00t machine, just a basic bike with a gun. would
18250 nuyen.gif be right for a Rigger Adapted and Concealed Ingram White Knight Mounted LMG + Spoof-chip and Morphing Plate + Girdguide Override Suzuki Mirage?

Also, I have 6200 nuyen.gif for a Dalmatian with an Unconcealed Ingram White Knight. Are there any other LMGs in Arsenal?
Shadow
If you want to do the gun blade thing like that, (I was thinking Katana under a weapon) its within the rules. I am not sure how useful it will be, a single shot isn't worth much. But it's within the rules so feel ree to use it.
BlackHat
I read that quote as "single-shot weapons installed in parallel guns with an under-barrel one-shot shotgun barrel" and "smart swords with a small pistol in the hilt to fire a bullet along the blade" as two separate things (although, I do see that it says "a bullet" and not "bullets", so you're probably right).

From their own rules on how the modification is supposed to work, mechanically, I don't see how the shotguns have one shot, anyway. smile.gif

I might still go ahead and possess them, but now they would be more as curiosities than signature weapons. Like you said, one shot isn't that useful in a fight - I'd be better off beatting the man to death with a normal pistol that holds 30 bullets than stabbing him with a sword that holds one. They would still be cool collector's items to have around, but not something he would bring to a real fight.

Was I right in my assumption about unarmed combat?

QUOTE (me @ earlier)
Also, another clarification. He will be using the two-handed fighting rules, and I wanted to double-check that Shadow's impression is that you have to "wield" two weapons (ie, that martial arts can't be used as both, or either, of the weapons in a two-weapon style). I'm okay with that, since, mechanically, it probably makes sense, but if Piece can elbow someone as easily as pistol-whip a guy, it would be good to know.

To Quenta, I think there is one LMG in Arsenal for availability 12 or less, and it is worse than the white knight (although a little cheaper).
Shadow
Not sure I get what your asking Blackhat. Are you asking if his hands body is a weapon and can he attack twice even if he isn't holding two weapons?
BlackHat
Well, attacking multiple times can be done with any melee attack by splitting the dice pool. I meant more the "Two weapon fighting" maneuver, which allows you to use one weapon for a full defense (full parry, I think) and the other to attack, as a complex action ... I assume the intention is that one has to actually be wielding two weapons (I think the text might even use the word "wield") because otherwise an unarmed martial artist would always have at least two limbs available for use (between elbows, knees, kicks, punches, headbutts, etc).

Maybe that's not a big deal, but because I am planning on Piece using the two-weapon style maneuver when he is in close-combat, I want him to have a weapon in each hand (in this case, pistols, which he will be using as improvised clubbing weapons - so that he also has the option of shooting people). However, if he could do the same thing (use the same maneuver) with some other combination (one weapon, and a kick, or a kick and a punch, or two punches, etc) then it would just be good to know - dunno if he would rely on it or anything, but it would be nice to have that to fall back on at least, for situations where he doesn't have a weapon handy.

Off-hand penalties still apply to the off-hand action, but I intend to take the "Offhand training" maneuver that negates those, in any case.
Fortune
Damn! eek.gif

I was serious, in that I wasn't quite expecting this pace. I really am in no position to keep up at the present time. It wouldn't be a problem after the game had started, but during this phase I would be dragging you all down. As much as I want to play with Shadow, it might be best if you grab another Player instead.
Shadow
@Fortune, just revamp Danny, or one of the million SR3 characters you have for SR4. No stats have been posted yet so you got some time. Don't quit on me buddy.

@BH, it seems like the intent is for you to be using physical weapons. Pistols as improvised clubs would be fine, though iirc there is a rule about damaging weapons not designed for melee.
quentra
Aw...I wanna play with Fortune...
BlackHat
QUOTE (Shadow @ Mar 12 2008, 04:44 PM) *
though iirc there is a rule about damaging weapons not designed for melee.

I dunno if there is a rule about it, or if it is left up to the GM, but there is a "Melee hardening" weapon modification one can put on weapons to prevent them from being damaged if used in melee - which I was planning to have to put on all of his guns.

Otherwise, that's the impression I got about their intent, as well, I just wanted to make sure we were on the same page.

I don't know Fortune from a hole in the ground, but he has a lot of green boxes underneath his custom title, so I assume he is someone important and awesome. biggrin.gif I definitely vote for important and awesome people in this game, and wouldn't mind slowing down the pace of character creation, either, if that will help.
Gray
QUOTE (BlackHat @ Mar 12 2008, 06:19 PM) *
I don't know Fortune from a hole in the ground, but he has a lot of green boxes underneath his custom title, so I assume he is someone important and awesome. biggrin.gif I definitely vote for important and awesome people in this game, and wouldn't mind slowing down the pace of character creation, either, if that will help.

I'll second that.
quentra
Yesh. I've lurked long enough to know that Fortune=awesomes, and totally third the motion to have awesome people. XD

EDIT: Finished my chara sheet, lalz. Want me to post it up?
Fortune
Awwww ... now I'm blushing and all that stuff ... embarrassed.gif biggrin.gif

Well, if we're slowing down, I'm sure I can find a way to keep up. After all, I have a reputation to live up to now. eek.gif biggrin.gif

Oh, and Shadow: I'm surprised you remember Danny. I've made him like six or seven times and still have yet to play more than two posts with the character.
Shadow
Danny ruled!

Good on you mate! Glad you are back with us. So far everything is sounding good. Looking forward to more of the same.
Fortune
Chargen is really hard when you're as anal as I am (and the GM doesn't use Frank's rules wink.gif). biggrin.gif
Shadow
I seem to recall gettting many, many revisions from you biggrin.gif What's Frank's rules?
WearzManySkins
*delurk*
Franks Rules
*relurk*

WMS
quentra
Oh. Em. Ef. Gee. Guess I won't be posting my charasheet up, just yet. My flash drive crashed and deleted all my data T_T...Ah well. Time to rebuild XD
Shadow
Had I seen those rules before I may have used them. like Frank alot and whle I don't always agree with him, he's one sharp cookie. Nice rules, adresses a lot of the problms I have with SR4.
Gray
Here's what I got for my character so far... Let me know if you think I forgot anything. I know he doesn't have a gun, but I did that on purpose. I might lower Summoning to 4 and bump Spellcasting or Counterspelling to a 5.

(sheet moved below)
Fortune
QUOTE (Shadow @ Mar 14 2008, 03:10 AM) *
Had I seen those rules before I may have used them. like Frank alot and whle I don't always agree with him, he's one sharp cookie. Nice rules, adresses a lot of the problms I have with SR4.

It's not too late. biggrin.gif

Really!

It isn't!

I could make a decent character with those rules. wink.gif

And I'll even promise not to bitch during the whole chargen process ... grinbig.gif
BlackHat
I don't have any personal preference one way or the other (although I would have to respec Piece, I think I could do that fairly quickly).

I would rather use rules that the GM is comfortable with (or at least prefers), but I am certainly more up-to-speed on standard rules.
Shadow
Standard rules, it's what I advertised and it is what people signed up for. Good house rules though. And I usually hate house rules.
Fortune
nyahnyah.gif biggrin.gif
BlackHat
Okay, character sheet so far. Anyone can speak up if it looks like I messed up or overlooked anything.
I decided to just skip the whole gunblade idea altogether. My initial draft at the character must have messed up some math, cause I didn't have as much money as I had set aside to be spending 10K on one-shot toys. wink.gif I did add some custom silver revolvers, with silver ammo, instead. biggrin.gif

Piece also owns 16 pistols. I'm not expecting to be able to carry them all, but some idea as to how many is reasonable would be nice. I imagine him like some action-movie character, with a bandoleer with 6 guns on his chest, or an overcoat lined with firearms. smile.gif I figure 2 under teh arms, two on the hips, two in the boots, and maybe two hidden in the small of the back is about the most that is reasonable. Maybe two more in a hidden arm slide.

Also, could one equip a hidden arm gun slide (on the underside of the arm) and forarm snap blades (on the topside)? or buy a single arm-slide that has both weapons? Coudl one extend (and use) forarm snap blades while holding items (pistols, in this case) in one's hands?

(Sheet moved below)

He has about 40 credits left, (well, 240, but 200 can be used to increase starting cash). I could also afford to lose a few guns. biggrin.gif
Shadow
Ok looks good I think, can you break down some of the dice pools, like pistols? I need to see where your getting the 26 dice from.

BlackHat
No, those numbers in parenthesis are the BP cost (26 for 4x6 +2 for specialization).
His pistols dice pool is something like 6+7=13 (15 if using heavy pistols)
WearzManySkins
*delurk*
@BlackHat
Your Commlink has only Firewall software? your character has no computer skills?No Browse etc?
*lurk*

WMS
Shadow
QUOTE (Shadow @ Mar 13 2008, 06:51 PM) *
Ok looks good I think, can you break down some of the dice pools, like pistols? I need to see where your getting the 26 dice from.

Ok *phew* I was like "great". Hehe.
Fortune
Still slack, but I'm getting there. It isn't so much building a character as whittling one. biggrin.gif
BlackHat
Oh lol, forgot about the commlink. Back when I thought he had more money I had him with a decent commlink, then I cut the programs. I should probably whittle down the commlink to rating 3 or so, and buy back some common use programs. Otherwise, I'm not sure what he has it for, except as an expensive-ass telephone.
Mister Juan
This message has very little to do with this thread but I thought it was a good place for it.

@Shadow: HEY!!!!!!!!!! biggrin.gif Glad to see you ain't dead yet! biggrin.gif

If you ever need a quick cameo, look me up wink.gif
quentra
Uleso 'Lyssuis' d'Artragon

Chara Sheet

[ Spoiler ]
BlackHat
Updated character sheet (Got a rating 3 commlink, instead, but this one has some common-use programs on it. Upped leftover money for starting cash, got a backup pair of clothes, and a backup suit). Will be going backwards and editing out previous versions of this sheet so that the only one on here is up to date.

[ Spoiler ]
Gray
Updated Gray's character sheet as well, upgraded the signal on his comm. Sure it will be on the fritz half the time due to Gremlins, but when it isn't, it might be nice to be able to use it out to a normal distance. Tried to squeezed in Form Fitting Body Armor, but it is too encumbering. Had to settle for SecureTech Protectors so he can easily take them off. I still have nuyen.gif 565 to spend.

==> sheet moved below
Eyeless Blond
FFBA is 1600Y, provides armor 6/2. The special part is, the layering rules work differently: you add the full rating to stack with other armor, but only half when determining armor encumbrance.
quentra
Cools. Sounds like a must have, then. I modded my chara sheet to include FFBA, dropped the armour clothing and four cert credsticks, so that gave me my 1600 nuyen.gif. Updated my chara sheet to reflect that.
Fortune
I don't have a character sheet yet. frown.gif

But it's getting there. It just goes against the grain to post it incomplete.

Whittling makes my brain hurt. Are you absolutely sure we can't use Frank's rules? Could we vote on it? Maybe threaten a mutiny or stage a coup or something? biggrin.gif
Shadow
Well it's Friday, goo djob everyone so far. *Pulls out the whip, cracks it in Fortunes direction*. Let's shoot for monday for prelim character tunr in. Gives me a day to go over them, have you guys make any changes and then we can get started Tuesday or Wednesday.
BlackHat
Sounds great.
Gray
Sounds good to me too.
quentra
Yep yep. No problems here.
Fortune
Somehow I get the feeling everyone's looking at me ... eek.gif
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Dumpshock Forums © 2001-2012