Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Maxing Armor
Dumpshock Forums > Discussion > Shadowrun
Eyeless Blond
So, now that Arsenal is out, anyone interested in "armor builds" for different body values? By this I mean what layering of armor would be best for Bod 1? Bod 2? Bod 3? Etc.
Eyeless Blond
Example: the best non-encumbering armor load I've been able to build for Bod 3:

FFBA (6/2)
Leather Jacket (2/2)
Securetech PPP Vitals Protector (+1/+1)
Helmet (+0/+2)

Final armor: 9/7 (6/6 for encumbrance purposes)
Moon-Hawk
Between layering FFBA and the PPP system you really ought to be able to get Bodyx2+3/Bodyx2+1 (encumbrance as Bx2/Bx2) for pretty much any value of Body.
That might break down at the extremely low end that no runner every actually takes.
WearzManySkins
QUOTE (Eyeless Blond @ Mar 14 2008, 12:11 PM) *
Example: the best non-encumbering armor load I've been able to build for Bod 3:

FFBA (6/2)
Leather Jacket (2/2)
Securetech PPP Vitals Protector (+1/+1)
Helmet (+0/+2)

Final armor: 9/7 (6/6 for encumbrance purposes)

Excellent Thread.

EB nice design*steals* any ideas for a body of 2 character?

WMS
Moon-Hawk
QUOTE (WearzManySkins @ Mar 14 2008, 12:19 PM) *
Excellent Thread.

EB nice design*steals* any ideas for a body of 2 character?

WMS

A layer with Bodyx2-3 Ballistic. (in this case that would be only 1) Layer it with FFBA. Add PPP to get Impact up to the max. There's your formula.

edit: So in your specific case, a single piece from one of the piecemeal armor outfits. Like a 1/1 armored skirt. Add FFBA for 6/2 that encumbers as 3/1. Add shinguards and forearm guards. You're 7/5 for the encumbrance of 4/4. And you look ridiculous. wink.gif
GryMor
For Bod 2, take off the Jacket from the Bod 3 setup (+7/+5, 4/4 encumbrance)
For Bod 1, go with FFBA Half Suit and a helmet (+4/+3, 2/2 encumbrance)
Mr. Unpronounceable
The main problem I have with min/maxing armor is that, while an armored jacket could pass under most circumstances, and FFBA can be relatively subtle, as long as you've got the hood and gloves in a pocket, and a helmet might be able to pass as a motorcycle helmet...the PPP is always going to leave you looking like you're dressing for a hockey game (or Adam, from Mythbusters.)
WeaverMount
Best for a body 2? Heavy Military Body Armor + helmet. A body 2 character can wear 6 points milspec giving them a putting them 12 over what they can wear normally for a -6 to agility and reaction. Neutralize that with rating 6 mobility upgrade.
Moon-Hawk
QUOTE (Mr. Unpronounceable @ Mar 14 2008, 12:33 PM) *
the PPP is always going to leave you looking like you're dressing for a hockey game (or Adam, from Mythbusters.)

QUOTE (Arsenal pg 49)
Each piece of armor is available in at least three styles: a discreet protection designed to be worn beneath other clothing...
Moon-Hawk
QUOTE (WeaverMount @ Mar 14 2008, 12:38 PM) *
Best for a body 2? Heavy Military Body Armor + helmet. A body 2 character can wear 6 points milspec giving them a putting them 12 over what they can wear normally for a -6 to agility and reaction. Neutralize that with rating 6 mobility upgrade.

Well that's hardly subtle. Completely unlike my FFBA-ensconced armor-skirt-wearing limb-guarded build. grinbig.gif
Mr. Unpronounceable
I know, I know...but you start running into logic issues with your clothing volume.

i.e.:
OK, so your clothing is armored, you have a "discreet" additional piece of armor under it, AND you have form fitting.
So, what, your body is only 2 inches thick? Or do you look like a 6-year-old in snow clothes? (cue image from A Christmas Story.)
Moon-Hawk
QUOTE (Mr. Unpronounceable @ Mar 14 2008, 12:45 PM) *
I know, I know...but you start running into logic issues with your clothing volume.

i.e.:
OK, so your clothing is armored, you have a "discreet" additional piece of armor under it, AND you have form fitting.
So, what, your body is only 2 inches thick? Or do you look like a 6-year-old in snow clothes? (cue image from A Christmas Story.)

I can't put my arms down!
Teulisch
heres my breakdown of one possible way to do each of the various body ratings.

BODY 1: FFBA half-body, Shin guard. 4/2, $1050 (mod limit 6)
Body 2: FFBA Full Suit, helmet, shin guards. 7/5, $1850 (mod limit 9)
Body 3: FFBA full suit, 'victory' camo vest, shim guards, forearm gaurds. 6/7, $2,350 (mod 9+6)
Body 4: FFBA full suit, 'victory' camo vest, helmet, vitals protector, shin guards. 11/9, $2,250
Body 5: FFBA full suit, Lined coat, vitals protector, helmet*, forearm+shin guard. 13/11, $2,750 (mod 9+9)
Body 6: FFBA ful suit, armor jacket, vitals protector, helmet*, shin+forearm guards. 15/13, $2,950 (mod 9+12)
Body 7: FFBA full suit, Armor jacket, helmet, vitals protector, arm+leg casings, shin+forearm guards. 17/14, $3,500

at body 8, you hit diminishing returns for your investment, unless you start wearing security armor.
Edge2054
More from the fluff department.

It's probably worth thinking about campaign setting and time of year when layering armor as well.

For instance we're currently playing in Denver and it's summer. Wearing layered armor might not only look weird considering the time of year it would also be pretty hot I imagine. During the winter on the other hand you could get away with a lot more bulk both social and comfort wise.
Larme
Question: does cyber armor encumber you at all? It souldn't, but I can't find the rule to that effect.
nathanross
QUOTE (Edge2054 @ Mar 14 2008, 04:40 PM) *
For instance we're currently playing in Denver and it's summer. Wearing layered armor might not only look weird considering the time of year it would also be pretty hot I imagine. During the winter on the other hand you could get away with a lot more bulk both social and comfort wise.

Hey! I just realized another reason why they chose Seattle, it's always raining! Now you have an excuse to be wearing your Armor Jacket all the time. wink.gif

I do agree with you, though. We often times forget the setting we are in. In summer, at most I'd be able to wear is probably long sleeve shirt and pants. Throw on a jacket and things are getting hot!
KCKitsune
QUOTE (Larme @ Mar 14 2008, 04:46 PM) *
Question: does cyber armor encumber you at all? It souldn't, but I can't find the rule to that effect.

I tried to find it in the BBB and Arsenal, and could not find it. I would say that it doesn't encumber you at all (ESPECIALLY Orthoskin!) and stacks with regular armor.
KCKitsune
QUOTE (nathanross @ Mar 14 2008, 05:27 PM) *
Hey! I just realized another reason why they chose Seattle, it's always raining! Now you have an excuse to be wearing your Armor Jacket all the time. wink.gif

I do agree with you, though. We often times forget the setting we are in. In summer, at most I'd be able to wear is probably long sleeve shirt and pants. Throw on a jacket and things are getting hot!

Unless the armor has some sort of built in cooling system.
Edge2054
I suppose some sort of cooling system could be built into normal armor (I didn't see anything covering this in the main book and I don't have arsenal). Insulation and Thermal Dampening can certainly keep you warm in colder times though wearing either in the summer in a warm climate is probably begging for heat stroke if you don't have some sort of cooling system built in.
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Dumpshock Forums © 2001-2012