Normal stuff, not covered below, in white

Date/Time header in orange

Speech in cyan

Subvocal in violet

Text message in black

Thoughts in darkkhaki

Memories in silver

Strange voices in your head the GM controls

Now, on with the show! Post OOC stuff in the proper thread.
Jeremiah Legacy
Wednesday, February 5, 2070. 3:01 PM. Cape Town, Azanian Federation.

Another hot day, as usual. Third rainy day this week. The African heat clings to the city, and even the rain feels hot. Fortunately, no lightning today, no power issues, and the Matrix has been stable.

A text message comes through. It's from Dr. Delicious, a fixer you've worked for in the past.

Hey. Got work for you if you're interested. Simple job, but you get to be the good guys. Come to the Meet Market tonight, about 8:30. Remember, no weapons.

The Meet Market. According to their PR, it was once a beef slaughterhouse that has been converted to a nightclub. According to the people who have been there, it was a beef slaughterhouse that has been converted to a one night stand factory. Not the best place for a meet for a job, but there have been odder places.

Looks like you got some time to kill.
Aaron
Wednesday, February 5, 2070. 15:02. Cape Town, Azanian Federation.

Hm. Commlink, voice command. Matrix search: Meet Market, Cape Town.
Shadow
Wednesday, February 5, 2070. 3:01 PM. Cape Town, Azanian Federation.

The breeze rustled over the rooftops like a snake. It brought a sheet of hot rain splashing down all around the small garden that overlooked "The Blue Lotus". Fu stood in a Lotus stance, hand and feet intertwined. In his right hand he held his Jian, a Chinese longsword. The bade was thin, flexible, and light. The razor sharp blade was as deadly as any mono wire. He sprang into action as the wind rushed by him, acting with the balance instead of against it. His feet played out a pattern on the ground that his body followed. Blade whirling in the air cutting in between the rain drops.

Ten minutes he practiced his form, twirling this way and that, going with the wind as it changed directions. By the end he was soaking wet with rain and sweat. He stopped, bowed to the small statue of his ancestors, and went inside seeking shelter. Twenty minutes later he was showered, shaved, and ready to start his day. He sat in meditative trance on his small couch and triggered his comm link. He scanned through the list of calls looking for any special work.

There were a few from his usual clients, needing wards for this or that. One caught his attention. The Ident was flagged as Dr. Delicious, a man he had worked with in the past. Honorable and kind. He was fighting a losing battle in the slums trying to help children. Fu respected that and made donations on a regular basis to the mans clinic.

<<<Respond: Doc, will do, thanks for the tip.>>>

<<<access Bank of Africa.... transfer 500-------->>>>> Account D. Delicious.>>>>

<<<<Terminate Access>>>

The Meat Market.... the very idea of the place sent a shiver down Fu's spine. Qi was essential to his life, balance in Qi was his primary goal. And while his was out of balance, he tried to put it right. Those souls at the Meat Market were seeking to put it further out of balance.

<<<Access google maps. Cape Town. Meat Market. Route from "home". Terminate access>>>

With the route memorised he dropped his breathing down to a heartbeat every 5 seconds. With his metabolism slowed he launched himself into the astral. His astral form was remarkably similar to his human form. Just dressed in white instead of black. The comforting weight of his sword across his back re-assured him as he passed through he walls. He followed his memorized directions and before long he was standing outside the club known as the Meat Market.
WearzManySkins
Wednesday, February 5, 2070. 15:03. Cape Town, Azanian Federation.

Ruff reads his message on his Novatech Airware. Bloody Hell, no weapons, well there are ways around that. Damn Do-Gooder so worried about weapons all the time. I never shot anyone that did not need it or was not shooting at me. Hmm what do I remember of that area or that place...nothing at the moment but it may come to me later.

Ruff attracts the attention of the waiter standing near by. Another soy coffee with Kenyan flavor, black and no sugars.

Ruff muses over the job and waits for his coffee. My Thanks as his coffee arrived at his table.<< transfers 10 nuyen.gif to the coffee shop via his commlink>>

Ruff enjoys his soy coffee, watches and listens to the rain, coming down outside the soy coffee shop covered patio.

Ruff pulls up the weather forecast for time the meet is supposed to occur.
Jeremiah Legacy
Shadow:
[ Spoiler ]

Aaron:
[ Spoiler ]

WearzManySkins: The weather report comes on, a way-too-happy human African female comes on.
"Looks like our storm will start levelling off around midnight tonight, and it's going to be clear, sunny days for the rest of the week. Just in time to stand in line for Horizon Africa's latest worldwide sensation, Flash-Bax, as they start their "Middle Passage" tour"
WearzManySkins
Wednesday, February 5, 2070. 15:04. Cape Town, Azanian Federation.

Ruff views the AR weather report with a bemused smile.
Well last thing I want to do is run the Thundercloud on the streets during a good rain storm. Looks like I will need to call a taxi for the meet. Good thing my doss is upstairs from this coffee shop. I wonder who else Do-Gooder has roped into this meet.

Ruff will browse the local new via his commlinks AR.
crizh
Wednesday, February 5, 2070. 15:22. Cape Town, Azanian Federation.

Bunny squinted as she inspected the microscopic grooves and bumps in the pistols barrel. Satisfied that it's ballistic signature was now unique she flicked back to x1 and rapidly re-assembled the weapon, checking the action to ensure she had made no mistakes.

She paused to read the terse message on her commlink.

"Typical."

She rapidly broke the pistol back down into it's component parts and carefully stowed them in the compartments that popped open in her cyberarms at her mental command. Before closing the left arm she grabbed a tiny screwdriver and squinting again she reached inside it to make some minuscule adjustment. Leaning close she listened intently as she gave the command to close up again.

**click**

She nodded, satisfied and threw on her armoured jacket. Sliding her sturdy toolbox under the cot she bent down and made sure the AK was tightly braced against it. Subscribing to the Satellite Uplink that sat next to the smartgun she checked the gun-cam and adjusted the tripod until it was pointed at the doorway that was the only entrance to the windowless basement.

Some security system. Hrrmph. Well maybe this will pay enough to get a decent apartment.

Pulling the boarding closed behind her as she left the squat, Bunny made a comm call.

Ukhetshe, it's Bunny. I'm coming over. Best I stick with you and keep my big gob shut, eh?..
Shadow
Wednesday, February 5, 2070. 4:11 PM. Cape Town, Azanian Federation.

Whisper returns to his body with a crash. He is on the floor heaving as the wave of nausia in the astral collides with his real life body. After the heaves pass he climbs to his knees and breathes. The nausia took a few minutes to subside and he was back to his normal self.

Those poor people.

He looked at his comm link, he had 4 hours to get there. It shouldn't take to long in a taxi, as it was a popular place. He spent the next hour meditating, trying to focus his spirit and his body so that they were both pointing in the same direction. The alarm in the comm triggered him to awakeness, it was time to go.

He stared longedly at his beloved sword, alone in the corner. It was mounted on a hand carved pedastal that also acted as a ward. He slipped into the astral to make sure both the ward, and the wind elemental that protected it, were both in good order. His apartment itself was protected by a simple alarm ward, with the sword portected by a much stronger barrier ward.

He wrapped his prayer beads around his hand as he closed the door behind him.
Redjack
Wednesday, February 5, 2070. 3:05 PM. Cape Town, Azanian Federation.

Hey. Got work for you if you're interested. Simple job, but you get to be the good guys. Come to the Meet Market tonight, about 8:30. Remember, no weapons.

He was still sitting at the open air cafe, under the awning when the call had come in. Several minutes later he was still there. Nearly five hours till the meet. No need to rush.

He is familiar with the Meet Market, that is to say he was familiar with where it is... and the vices to be had there. He finished his afternoon tea in peace watching the rain fall, yet sweating inches from it. At least it is a warm rain, not like the horrid cold rains of Seattle.

Wednesday, February 5, 2070. 4:14 PM. Cape Town, Azanian Federation.

Over an hour later he was deep in The Bowl, walking past the concrete and steel skyline. He moved through the crowds, ignoring the falling rain, taking a new route. It was a habit: See new places, new things.

Wednesday, February 5, 2070. 5:09 PM. Cape Town, Azanian Federation.

By this time he was stopping to get some food. Seafood from well off the coast was plentiful, if you knew where to look. He ate in silence and off to the side. He was a little large to blend, but when he stayed out of the way and quiet most people would treat him as though he didn't exist.
Ophis
Wednesday, February 5, 2070. 3:02 PM. Cape Town, Azanian Federation.

Your asking if I'll do a good deed for you man? See you there man.

The Doc needs me, like I could refuse.

Jack pulls on his suit and exits the hovel he calls a home. As he leaves he grabs a reasonable rolls of 5 nuyen notes and a handfull of change. His Pistol and Taser slide into holsters in under his jacket and he slips a pair of shades on. He grins and politely turns down the friendly offers of the girls outside and gets onto his bike.

Just enough time to increase my pocket change

WearzManySkins
Wednesday, February 5, 2070. 15:31. Cape Town, Azanian Federation
Ruff examines the message from Dr. Delicious.
Well my mother was right about taking more classes in using the computers and the net. Looks like he sent it out to more than one of us, wonder who is coming to the meet. Well I guess I can try and ask Dr. Delicious, who is joining us.

<<Dr. Delicious {Ruff} Who is joining with us on the meet at the Meet Shop?>>

Ruff gets up and heads upstairs to his doss. Puts away his weapons, and his knife. Looks at the time. Plenty of time to get something to eat and do some shopping. I think I would like some of Big Bo Singh's Tandoori Chicken for evening meal. I can do some shopping afterwards. Depending on the message from Dr. Delicious I can get to the meet about 30 minutes early.

Ruff pages a taxi via his AR interface, goes down stairs when it is ready for him.
Jeremiah Legacy
Wednesday, February 5, 2070. 5:02 pm. Cape Town, Azanian Federation

WaerzManySkins:
[ Spoiler ]

WearzManySkins
Wednesday, February 5, 2070. 5:15 pm. Cape Town, Azanian Federation

Ruff views the message from the Doctor Do Gooder.

Well ok then it should be a interesting meet, wonder who else he sent the message too, but I will find that out at the meet

Wednesday, February 5, 2070. 7:55 pm. Cape Town, Azanian Federation

Ruff uses his AR to pay for the cab, and steps out underneath the owning leading to the Meet Place. Walks over to the entrances and allows himself to be checked for weapons.
[ Spoiler ]

I am here to meet some persons, where would be a good place for me to do that here?

He waits for the persons running the weapons check to answer. Once given the answer he walks there, orders a lager and waits.

Ruff seems to be aware of what is going on around him but does not appear to be rubber necking while doing it.
Redjack
Wednesday, February 5, 2070. 8:10 PM. Cape Town, Azanian Federation.

The early evening passed with more walking and more rain. As the darkness fell, most people either avoided any eye contact or maintained direct eye the entire time they passed him. He was used to it, came with being an ork. The closer he got the to Meet Market, but more people regarded him less differently. I guess it is that way. People with little to lose, fear less losing it.

As he wandered into the Meet Market, he rebuffed the advances of the working girls.. and boys.... and what-evers.. He shushed some of them away, growled at others... Several growled back. Now I remember why I avoid this area.

He was early, but that's how he liked it. Better to be an hour early, than a minute late.
Shadow
Wednesday, February 5, 2070. 8:20 PM. Cape Town, Azanian Federation.

The cab drops Whisper off a block from the club. Crowds blanket the street paying no head to motor vehicles.

"This is as far as I go man, I don't want to hit no'body."

Noding Whisper hands over the fare and steps out into the rain. Despite the downpoor the heat of South Africa is pervasive. He is instantly soaking wet, both from the rain and his own sweat. The man at the door nods, mildly suprised at the monk looking patron.

"No weapons chink."

Whisper arches an eyebrow, "do I look like a man of violence?"

He obediantly raises his arms for the mag scanner. Getting the all clear the man waves him in. A blanket of sweat and sex rolls over him as he passes the barrier. Very little of it from pleasure. He resists the urge to view the place astrally. Instead he slips a pair of Oakly "all sights" out of his pocket and puts them on with a delliberate motion. The darkness ebbs and allows him to see the place with almost daylight qualities. The glasses built in computer compensates for strobe flashes and pockets of deep darkness. The sadness and pain etched on the faces of the patrons needs no astral perception to see. The place is hell, and those there, in purgtory.

He scans the crowd for any familliar faces, hopeing to find none. He makes his way to the bar, waiting silently for his contact.
crizh
Wednesday, February 5, 2070. 8:20 PM. Cape Town, Azanian Federation

Bunny followed Ukhetshe, trying to blend in as discrete muscle protecting the big Xhosa Face. She tried to look bored and attentive in that special 'Bodyguard' sort of way.

To occupy her time she had her private commlink record everything that was happening and amused herself by scanning, first her friend and then security and random passers by for cyber and hidden weapons. She checked Ukhetshe's radar profile against the previous profile she had stored in the commlink just to satisfy herself that he wasn't some bodysnatcher or persona-fixed impostor.

Wasn't very likely. Better safe than sorry though.

She stuck her hands in her pockets and nervously fiddled with the spent casings she'd fired off that afternoon to test the Predators skimmed ejection port.

I do hope nobody asks me any silly questions at this meeting. We always seem to earn more the less I say..
Redjack
Wednesday, February 5, 2070. 8:20 PM. Meet Market, Cape Town, Azanian Federation.

Having moved himself to one of the walls of the club, An Shui picks out his team mates present and the ones just entering. As the time for the meet gets closer, he readies himself mentally. He checks as the time slowly ticks away. Let's do this.
Jeremiah Legacy
Wednesday, February 5, 2070. 8:30pm. The Meet Market, Cape Town, Azanian Federation

Browsing your way through the crowds, the place carries the stench of various cheap drugs and cheaper sex. The music doesn't help the place; it is a painfully awful angst rock made popular by the late Jetblack back in the '50s, but the tunes are discordant and the lyrics are shallow. Not that the crowd is there for the music. They are of all races, shapes, and ages, but all of them are here to get a meaningless fling. Going through the crowd feels more like walking through a mixed pack of dogs in heat.

After dealing with quite a few propositions ranging from the barely disguised "please do me" to the not even remotely disguised "please do me", you find your way to the back table, where Dr. Delicious is sitting. He seems unaffected by this wasteland one way or the other. You also see quite a few empty chairs, and start seeing eath other. Clearly, the good Dr. invited some others to come to this meeting.
WearzManySkins
Wednesday, February 5, 2070. 8:30pm. The Meet Market, Cape Town, Azanian Federation

Ruff sees Dr. Delicious sitting at the back table, puts down his mostly unfinished lager, and makes his way to Dr's table.

Ah their is others that Dr Do Good invited, hmm have not seen some of them for a time. It will be an interesting meet then.

Ruff takes a empty seat at the table.

Evening all, good to see all of you again.

Once he is seated he waits for the Dr to talk.
Redjack

An Shui finds a spot at the table and sits. Looking around the table, he is pleased to see familiar faces. "Ruff, good to see you." Looking around the table, "And the rest of you as well."
Aaron
Wednesday, February 5, 2070. 20:30. The Meet Market, Cape Town, Azanian Federation

Ukhetshe slides into a seat. He makes no move to remove his sunglasses. "Molweni," he says coolly, "Let's talk business."
Shadow
Wednesday, February 5, 2070. 20:30. The Meet Market, Cape Town, Azanian Federation

Whisper sips the water form clear glass, casually scanning the crowd looking for movement. The bartender taps him on the shoulder, "Hey man, I think your apointment is at the table in the back."

The chinese man nods, slips the bartender a twenty for his help. Manouvering his way through the crowd Whisper tunes out the please for a slow death. He arrives at the table, seeing the good doctor already there, along with some other's he is familiar with, some he is not. Normally he would slip into the astral and assense his soon to be partners, but the background of the club rendered that a very unlikable option.

He chose the chair against the wall, tipping it back so that he was partially balanced on the back two legs. His eyes never left the crown in front of him.
WearzManySkins

Ruff smiles at Ukhetshe's greeting.

Sanibonani

crizh

That looks like everyone.

She leaned one shoulder casually against the wall near the Chinese mage and flipped a casual salute towards her colleagues. She tried to appear as if she was listening intently whilst only really keeping half an ear on the discussion. Her attention was really focused on the crowd and the club, first scanning to see if the Doc had brought any bodyguards with him and then for unauthorized weapons or cyber in the crowd. Finally she started analyzing the building, assessing the thickness of the walls and picking escape routes.

It's not paranoia if they really are out to get you...

Hey Jack, PM me your current commcode and I'll add you to the firewall..

She would open up the data-feeds from her sensors to the rest of the team. That way if they needed to bug out in a hurry they would have access to all the data she did. She trusted Jack not to let his precious Fairlight be compromised and was comfortable allowing him to connect to her private commlink.

She went back to watching the crowd, looking for any ripples of wrongness in the chaos that was the Meet Market.

WearzManySkins
Wednesday, February 5, 2070. 20:31. The Meet Market, Cape Town, Azanian Federation
Ruff will look at each in turn at the table except for Dr. Delicious, as he faces each <<<Here is my comm codes, lets not be strangers.>>

Once he is finishes with that, he tracks the conversations at the table but keeps both his brilliant blue eyes continuously scanning the crowds around them for those not offering or not humping each others legs.

Every once and a while he turns his head to a different angle to place his hearing on a different angle.
Redjack
Wednesday, February 5, 2070. 20:31. The Meet Market, Cape Town, Azanian Federation

An Shui collects the com links of those he lacks as well and passes on his to those needing it. He then switches his senses to the astral and keeps watch there while listening.
Jeremiah Legacy
Wednesday February 5, 2070 8:34pm. The Meet Market (Dr. Delicious's table)

Dr. Delicious is sitting at the table and greets you all, welcoming you to the table. He then begins speaking calmly.

Good evening. I'm glad you all came tonight. As I said, I got a job where you would be the good guys. Mr. & Mrs. Johnson would like to speak with their daughter. Unfortunately, she doesn't want to talk to them, and the corp HQ she's staying at doesn't want her to either. So they would appreciate it if you could ... arrange a meeting between them. Interested?

He looks at each of you, awaiting your reactions

Redjack:
[ Spoiler ]
Aaron
Ukhetshe takes a sidelong glance at his companions, gauging their responses by their body language. "Are you acting as the principal, or do we need to chat with the Johnsons?"
WearzManySkins
Wednesday February 5, 2070 8:35pm. The Meet Market (Dr. Delicious's table)

Ruff pauses in his area scanning. Do you have the information on which Corp HQ, and what the monetary compensations are?
[ Spoiler ]

Ruff resumes his looking around the area.
Redjack
Wednesday February 5, 2070 8:35pm. The Meet Market (Dr. Delicious' table)

An Shui does his best to keep the bile in his stomach from coming any higher than his throat. His magic, strongly dependent upon emotions, the room nearly brings him to tears as he rides the emotional roller coaster scanning the room. He listens to Doc's pitch, nodding to denote his interest. He remains silent as the initial questions are asked, awaiting replies to them.
Jeremiah Legacy

The crowd keeps dancing as the bad angst rock continues to bellow.

Dr. Delicious seems oblivious to the crowd, focusing fully on you, the runners. He looks at Ukhetshe and responds,
Both, sort of. Her parents have instructed me to not be met until you have thir daughter and then I will set up a time to meet them. And yes, I have verified that they are her parents.

He then looks at Ruff.I know which corp and where you need to get her from. It's a local facility. Not going to be a cakewalk, but nothing beyond your abilities either. And since you asked about the pay, they have authorized a payment of nuyen.gif 2,500 apiece. I can give a grand apiece now, and the rest will be given to you by the parents.
Aaron
Ukhetshe's face remains passive. "That's all well and good, but if we're not going to be able to make our own determination on the sincerity of the principals, and the opposing force is, as you say, local and corporate, we're going to need to see a bit more cred than that."
Jeremiah Legacy
The good doctor looks at Ukhetshe, a little concerned that you won't take the job.

Well, I checked them out, and they are legit. And you gotta remember, this isn't some soulless corp looking to screw over their rivals. These are parents trying to talk their daughter out of making a mistake. They do have a budget. But since, like you said, there is a certain amount of risk involved, and I can't blame you for baing paranoid. So tell you what, why don't we just skip the dance and get right to their maximum. 4k apiece. But I can still only give a grand for retainer. It's all they gave me.

For those paying attention, the crowd is dancing faster (or humping faster, depending on the people involved). The music took a tempo change for the fast, with the band playing loud, fast, horribly offkey angst rock. The AR comes on, showing the name of the song is "The Earth is Our Mother (Let's Rape Mom)".
Aaron
A tiny smile flutters briefly at one corner of Ukhetshe's mouth. "I'm glad we're working with someone so honest. I assume you're ready to transfer the advance right now, and hold the rest in escrow for the strained and beleaguered parents?"
[ Spoiler ]
Shadow
Whisper, on guard really till now, trying to watch the crowd without seeing them, pops on the AR for the first time.

"Yes, I have a few. Do they want us to kidnap their daughter or do they just want to talk to her. And if they ddo want us to kidnap their daughter do they understand the risk involved to her personally? Some corps would rather cancell a meal ticket rather than see it go."
WearzManySkins
Ruff listens as he keeps aware of things around the table and area.

On AR Good points Whisper, agreed dance time is over. Money sounds good, more information is always good.
crizh

He's being cagey about which corp. We need to know if they have Extra-territoriality and if we are going to be forced to enter the facility to get to the target.
Aaron
Wednesday February 5, 2070 20:35. The Meet Market (Dr. Delicious' table)

Let us see what Ruff scans in the data the good doctor sends him. If it's got our answers, there's no need to tip our hand. What have you got, Ruff?
Ophis
Jack only just made the meeting on time due to a slight miscalculation on his part about how long a card game would take. He joins the the offered network and sits listening to the offer.

Sounds reasonable, the good doctor is a trustworthy man, but I'd like to know the corp involved that will make a world of differance on how this plays out.
Jeremiah Legacy
(note:this takes place before all the comm-talk)

Dr. Delicious looks at the entire party. Then he smiles and pulls out enough credsticks for each of you.

Of course I did. What kind of fixer would I be if I didn't make sure that the Johnsons would pay? So, are you interested?
Redjack
Wednesday February 5, 2070 20:36. The Meet Market (Dr. Delicious' table)

An Shui shifts his perceptions and focus back from the astral and to the table and the AR based cross talk.
<<@Team [An Shui] The payment is acceptable in so much as the reason is legitimate. Time will shine the light of truth there. I share the concerns about the corporation. Once we know the name we can judge that further. We need the corporation and the address.>>

An Shui silently nods in response to the question.
Aaron
"The money looks good. Let's say we have an agreement. What else can you tell us?"
Jeremiah Legacy
I am glad to hear that. Now all the info about Jahzara Senkafa, I can transmit to you, whichever one of you wants it. As for where, she's at the Horizon Africa compound downtown. She's been pretty popular in the small Sunny Afroflash music scene, but not too many people outside of that area really know about her. So I wouldn't expect too much trouble. Again, let me know when you got her and I'll tell you where to bring her and her parents to talk.
Shadow
<<as soon as we get out of this hole I can run an astral recon of her. See what we are really up to, but I dare not astrally project in this place>>
Aaron
Ukhetshe gives a barely-perceptible nod. "Give it to Jack." He near-silently transmits to his companions, "Now we know who we're running against. Any more questions before we take this man's money?"
Ophis
Jack nods agreement and with a simple gesture of his hand signals to the good Doctor that he'll take the information as well.
Redjack
An Shui sends a <Good to Go> ARO as he refocuses his attention on those around the team.
WearzManySkins
Wednesday February 5, 2070 20:37. The Meet Market (Dr. Delicious' table)

Ruffs nods in acceptance of Dr. D's words. He winks at Jack.

Give it to Jack, either way we all will get the data Ruff goes back to scanning the area where they are.

In AR I would rather not be distracted at this moment, maybe later I can give the data, some of my meager data skills.
Ophis
Jack scans through the data, marking any significant looking words for later searches. He also starts a search on the targets name.

Okay I'm going to see what I can find.

D what is Horizon's interest in the girl?
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Dumpshock Forums © 2001-2012