Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Stealth and Cyberlimbs
Dumpshock Forums > Discussion > Shadowrun
Sombranox
Just looking for people's opinions on this one. If you have unbalanced stats across your limbs, different things apply according to RAW.

If something involves JUST that limb (throwing a punch, shoooting a pistol), then the stats of only that limb are used.

If something involves delicate coordination between two limbs (running was the example), then use the lower relevant stats

For everything else, use the average of the relevant limbs. (getting shot uses average Body of the four limbs and torso was the example)

My question is this, for stealth tests, specifically shadowing and infiltration, would you all rule it as delicate coordination, average of the five, average of just legs, or something else?

Palming, I'd probably go with the average of the arms or maybe just a particular limb if it's one handed, but what would you all do for that one?

Thanks for any input o godly rule gurus.
Malicant
I'd say it's a delicate coordination thingy and be done with it.
fulcra
I'd say it depends on what they're actually doing with the skill. Example. trying to sneak around in a car (ie. the vehicle specialization of infiltration), is probably not delicate co-ordination. Trying to sneak up behind a guard is delicate co-ordination.

Note however, I would never use a hybrid rule where you use just two limbs. It adds extra complexity (several more "average" values to track), and it's a real stretch to try and contrive of a situation where it applies. Most of the time in real life you are using your entire body as a complete unit to do something.
Sombranox
QUOTE (fulcra @ Mar 28 2008, 03:11 PM) *
I'd say it depends on what they're actually doing with the skill. Example. trying to sneak around in a car (ie. the vehicle specialization of infiltration), is probably not delicate co-ordination. Trying to sneak up behind a guard is delicate co-ordination.

Note however, I would never use a hybrid rule where you use just two limbs. It adds extra complexity (several more "average" values to track), and it's a real stretch to try and contrive of a situation where it applies. Most of the time in real life you are using your entire body as a complete unit to do something.

Not really a hybrid rule, it's stated in RAW as:

"When a particular limb is used for a test (such as leading
an attack with your cyberarm), use the attribute for that
limb (natural or cyber); in any other case, take the average
value of all limbs involved in the task (round down). If a task
requires the careful coordination of several limbs, use the
value of the weakest limb."

Which does make it overly complicated, I agree. Then again, I'm a bit iffy about the case for whether someone with two Agility 11 cyberarms would use the boosted average of his whole body for sneaking up on a guard. In contrast though, someone with two agility 11 legs, I'd be more inclined to be better at sneaking. But if they have a 3 overall agility for torso and arms, should they only roll 3 for the sneak? It's all a big jumble to me, though the easiest way to handle it is just to do what malicant said and always treat it as delicate coordination and take the lowest common denominator of stats.
Moon-Hawk
I say Infiltration and Shadowing are highly abstract tests, and as such you should, in general, use the average.
Tarantula
QUOTE (Moon-Hawk @ Mar 28 2008, 01:38 PM) *
I say Infiltration and Shadowing are highly abstract tests, and as such you should, in general, use the average.

I definately agree with Moon-Hawk.
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Dumpshock Forums © 2001-2012