Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Building the Brickhouse
Dumpshock Forums > Discussion > Community Projects
Pages: 1, 2
Eyeless Blond
This is a Down In The Gutter thread.

Down in the Gutter Wiki

Specific Sections of Interest Include:
About Down in the Gutter - This is a MUST read before committing to this game.
Character Generation House Rules
Posting Guidelines

The Game threads can be found here:
DITG IC Thread
DITG OOC Thread

Okay, so far this is all we have on the Brickhouse Boys:

Brickhouse Boys

"The Brickhouse Boys are named after the many brick tenement buildings in their area. Like the rest of the multitudes of gangs in Redmond they struggled to scratch out an existence through the various vices they could provide to the public in their turf. Preceding the big ‘Dust up’ the Brickhouse Boys had finally stumbled upon a decent moneymaking scheme. Instead of just stealing cars to joyride or crash up, they began to strip them for parts. Running a chop shop is more like regular work than some of them were used to but, the payoff in the end was good.

Before the demise of the Brickhouse Boys they could be seen wandering their turf in their signature Navy Pea-coat styled Jackets peddling their wares to the degenerate masses. While they had a stranglehold on the drugs and chips in the area, the sex business was harder to control. Many of the pimps just paid cursory protection money and the few freelance girls paid in sexual favors, often enough not willingly. The gangs pad was a constant party place at night with lots of women around. The pimps trying to keep the protection money as low as it could be sent over girls and, there is always a local girl looking for protection, love and acceptance as well as a way up in the world."

Since so many of us have new characters who came from the Brickhouse, it would be a good idea for us to come together and flesh out the details of the gang. Now, many of us who are having our characters come from the Brickhouse are vehicle-oriented, and so would naturally have worked in the chopshop. Important points, as I see them:

-Where is/was our beloved chopshop?
--Did it get destroyed? (Note: unless someone here has access to a Shop or Facility that they've paid for with chargen funds, this is likely to have happened.)
--If it did get destroyed, how come all us mechanics didn't blow up with it?
-Did we have possession of any other buildings?
--Did they get destroyed?
-How well did we know each other?
--Where are the rest of our gangers?
--How did they die?
-Other details
--What are our colors?
--What's with the jacket thing?

Anything I missed?
Dantic
Twiggs takes a look over the rubble and remains of what once was. "Blah, blah, all I hear is shithou...., um Hiya guys, how bout them Brickhouse Boys? Glad to have you around, too bad bout what happened, you guys dro... rule." rotate.gif
Spike
Actually, while I started with the assumption that the shop was burned out, according to the wiki (you have to search for it) the Asphalt kings drove a Dump Truck Tank through it can carried off everything valuable, per their primary MO. Sadly, I doubt there was more than one, but we can always add the fire to 'after they looted'.

I know Maus only did the mechanic stuff out of a love for the work, his work for the Gang was mostly as Muscle: Go here, beat this dude up and bring back the money type of stuff. He's got the skills but not the knack, making him only so-so. Of course, demolishing a car in a hurry was his speciality (chainsaw to remove body panels for the win, baby!)

I imagine that the garage/chop shop was a 'recent' addition to the gang, most of their turf would have been more residential/industrial, maybe even 'pre car' era stuff, those old brick buildings tend to last and there hasn't been a huge amount of renovation in Redmond in the setting.

IF you are a grease monkey, you probably know Maus pretty good, if you were more the beer guzzling frat boy type (which seems to have been the BB's primary purpose...) then not so good.

Maus lived in the shop more or less.

I'll get on the rest once I hop computers, I hate working on this one.
Spike
Ok, more generic stuff about the Brickhouse Boys (well, we know they were multiracial. We've got orks, dwarves and humans to say the least).

I got the distinct impression of the BB's as fratboy types. Nightly parties, lots of girls (working or otherwise) and thrill stealing rides.

Chop shopping for money was a late addition to the gangs repitoire, of which I can suppose Maus may have been a part of that move (being trained to work on cars in prison, and being willing and able to lift an engine block out of a car without any tools other than a chainsaw to cut away the frame.... literally chopping the car up for parts...). Three years may be a longish time for a low level streetgang in the setting, so he could be (ironically) an older member than others, thats not my call.

Their 'colors' would be more or less the signature peacoat. Maybe a brick red 'brick pattern', to go along with their names, but the coat is the uniform, its how you know you're dealing with the boys and some some other punk. I imagine tags would include stylized figures with distinctive coats, BB symbols and red brick patterns.

Since I imagine teir three gangs are pretty small, we probably knew each other reasonable well even if we didn't share grease monkey habits (to which I think all current BB players do...)

I've already gone over the existing knowledge of the Chop Shop's fate, but I don't think too many boys would have been in residence. It does seem to have been a surprise hit, some of them might have been hungover, laying about with girl(s), whatever, others would have been out on business for themselves or the gang (like Maus), and may or may not have been jumped. I still like to think they got burned out, though god only knows why fire has to be a part of it in my psychology, I just don't see them fighting to the last in a desperate stand doomed to fail... they didn't get the chance for that honor... which might explain why so many of us are wandering around (five now, I think?).

Given the party image, and the name, I imagine the Boys were, well, a boys club. Lots of girls as hanger's on, party girls, assosiates, certainly, but none as 'color' wearing 'Boys'. I also imagine they had at least a distillery somewhere, if for their own party needs if not for the money. Business was not their forte from all accounts.

As for life in the boys: easy going, lots of communal space, lots of emphasis on doing shit for the hell of it. Lots of gangs roam in packs, but the boys did almost to the point of exclusion... but only for fun. Business was the province of individuals, which is why it was so spotty. This guy would go score some cash and gash from the working girls to pay for the party that night, that one would take offense at some abusive pimp and send Maus out to break his arms, whatever. But you want to steal some cars and hijack a truck full of booze? Call up all the boys, we ride! Whooping it up and generally making a scene of it.

Not an organization where the boss goes and runs shit, has liuetenants and the like. The 'lead Boy' probably just gives a couple of speeches, points in a general direction then leans back with his babes to watch the show....
Eyeless Blond
Heh, Drip was definitely not part of the beer guzzling crowd wither, nor I think was Dozer (Sparky's character.) Maybe Rico was?

There's more background on the Bricks too. Check out Shade's Journal in particular. Rough timeline:

October 19th: Asphalt Kings start mowing down Brickhouse's chop shops.
October 31st/Nov 1st: Brickhouse Boys effectively gone; Trojan ran with the last of 'em against the Kings, doing a nice amount of damage to boot.

It is now late on the 1st, so there's plenty of leeway for how each of us can work our way into the story, especially given the vagueness of communication in the Barrens. Heck, maybe we were all running our own mini-Op at the same time, and just haven't regrouped in the right place?
HeySparky
That sounds like a great start. smile.gif

Our small crew:

Maus - Brawn
Rico - Leader
Drip - Brains
Dozer - Brains/Brawn

Maus, our old timer, been the gang boss's pet skull thumper for a while?
Rico, maybe the newest? Possibly the guy that started pushing the gang towards more business? (Economics knowledge skill)
Drip, brought in by Dozer(?), got a pretty unmatched brain for technical stuff - put to work by Rico
Dozer, walking wrecking ball, can put it back together - handy when you're good at breaking things

Maybe our crew was out on a job when the AK raid went down? Or possibly we got wind somehow **coughDripcough** and either bugged out (and left everyone else to die) or raced back (too late to save things), now wandering in a small pack.
Spike
Seems like a possibility, though naturally 'where we were' depends quite a bit on what WR does to intro our characters
HeySparky
Maybe y'all should request to start together? Me too, but Dozer's incomplete. So, while I'd like to start with you guys, I won't hold you up.

So, I would put that out there before WR gets too far along.
Eyeless Blond
Don't know about a "job" per se; the gang war had been going on a month; the Brickhouse's part nearly two weeks. Probably not a time for biz to be conducted. Maybe a raid or scouting trip of our own on AK?

One thing about Brickhouse I seem to be getting from the source material is that they were fairly large--maybe larger than the Kings, who only have 21 guys of their own--but none of them were particularly well organized. More like a laid-back frat or club than a gang, with maybe a dozen "real" members and 40-50 guys who were just in it for the booze/money. They'd survive pretty much by inertia, rather than any hardcore gang activism. That sounds perfect for Drip; I don't think he'd have survived being "jumped in," no matter how easy they went on him; biggrin.gif in fact that's probably why he'd have sought the gang out in the first place. Sound like a plan, or did someone else read this differently?

Chopshops: we know that one was destroyed on October 19th, and the last one on the 31st. I think perhaps there ought only to have been the two; everything else was party halls and drug/BTL labs. I also think that neither chopshop ought to have been open more than a few months, maybe 6-8 at the most, but probably less, and part of the reason we got steamrolled so easily was because we didn't have nearly the Mad Max level of motor pool that the Kings have. I mean, they've got 21 members and 34 vehicles, not counting any actual drones they have! How crazy is that?
HeySparky
Maybe the Boys had some success and engulfed a smaller gang (the mechanics) and that marks the change from partying thugs to gearheads and partying thugs. So, about 6-8 months ago possibly...

...the Boys (Maus et al) kicked some garage/chopshop door to put The Fear ™ into the mechanics there (Rico, Dozer, Drip).

...Rico and his crew (a half-dozen, a dozen?) approach the Boys with an offer of alliance.

...something else?
Spike
Well, I've got Maus as a part time mechanic for almost his whole time with the boys (three years unless we find out they were younger than that...)...

Actually, with less than two vehicles per member the AK's aren't all that well off for a car gang. Between bikes and cars and speciality vehicles, I'd expect to see a minimum of 40-50 vehicles for a gang that big.

Of course, I'm not entirely certain what skills are used to hotwire a car in 2070 in the barrens... Maus can drive a little (DP 4 I think...), but I've got no idea if he's capable of actually BOOSTING a car, which was what the Boys did before they started chopping.

Spike
Also, I suggested Maus might have known Dozer when they were both in Prison. According to my internal timeline, Maus entered prison 7 years earlier, and left three years ago to join the Boys.

I put that into my Takes, but it's not set in stone, obviously.
HeySparky
Dozer's criminal SIN isn't from hard prison time, but from getting processed by the authorities for something he was never formally charged with - bureaucratic indifference on the part of the police, they didn't want to bother with all the paperwork. He got out almost immediately, but not without a handy-dandy shiny new SIN of his very own.

The reason I chose that angle is because I can't figure out why SINless would ever get released. And I sorta like it. Bored, corrupt cops. A criminal SIN, but no prison connections.

I liked your naming convention though, so I totally stole that. smile.gif

Eyeless Blond
QUOTE (Spike @ Mar 29 2008, 05:21 PM) *
Well, I've got Maus as a part time mechanic for almost his whole time with the boys (three years unless we find out they were younger than that...)...

Actually, with less than two vehicles per member the AK's aren't all that well off for a car gang. Between bikes and cars and speciality vehicles, I'd expect to see a minimum of 40-50 vehicles for a gang that big.
Well, I took the "Motor Pool" list to not include anything bike-sized or lighter, as motorcycles are mentioned heavily in all the writing, but none are on the list. Neither are drones lighter than Body 4, of which they no doubt have quite a number.

And I also note that we have ZERO cars in our group, so we have no business ragging on them. nyahnyah.gif That's one problem I had with the startup rules; everyone else around us is flush with retrofitted cars, trucks, dumpsters, etc, and we've got nothing that can compete with that. This makes me very, very nervous; we're starting out, not at the bottom, but far, far below the bottom.

QUOTE (Spike @ Mar 29 2008, 05:21 PM) *
Of course, I'm not entirely certain what skills are used to hotwire a car in 2070 in the barrens... Maus can drive a little (DP 4 I think...), but I've got no idea if he's capable of actually BOOSTING a car, which was what the Boys did before they started chopping.
Oh, you had to bring that up, didn't you? biggrin.gif
Dantic
QUOTE (Spike @ Mar 29 2008, 08:21 PM) *

A vehicle, unadapted for rigger use would most likely be an extended mechanic test. grinbig.gif
Spike
Mechanics tests I can handle. Even with my crap logic I get 6DP to boost a car, which works fine. Of course, I imagine Maus does it by ripping the door completely off then ripping the lock right off the steering wheel, but that's sort of the direct approach.

Tougher cars call for the chainsaw... And no, I have no plans to use it as a weapon.... just in case Dozer thinks I'm cadging his turf... wink.gif

HeySparky
Poor Dozer... third in the line of ganger PCs afflicted with my chainsaw obsession. No worries, Spike. Heh, I was worried that you'd think I was treading on your turf since you had Maus written up before I'd even settled on a name. I was relieved to see you hadn't put any points into it, though.

So, where are we on BG for the Boys?
Eyeless Blond
Well, so far I don't think we've just been talking around each other. Basic concepts ran:

A) Boys as frat/club/loose organization.
--Large membership (>50?), but few dedicated; lots of associates there for parties. Kept in business mostly through inertia; no one wanted to rock the boat by challenging them.
--No jumping in or other initiation rituals (tats, branding, etc); just show up, buy the booze once in awhile or otherwise contribute, and you're in.
--Chop shop started recently by a couple of interested "non-dedicated" members, drew a few more. Not well organized, didn't consider the consequences of treading on Kings' biz.

B) Boys as conquerors.
--Brickhouse as typical gang (a dozen or two, all with normal gang behaviors).
--Took over/merged with independent chop shop crew (including Drip and Dozer?), which kick-started their chopping biz.
--Normal rituals/etc, which were?/were not? applied to merged gang.

C) Other?

One thing we do know is that they were mostly into chips and drugs for a long time; the chop shop is a "fairly recent" addition to the gang, such that the Kings hadn't had time to respond to the Boys muscling in on their racket until mid-October. Other than that, either option would work.

How do you all vote? I like A), mostly because I can't see Drip surviving being jumped in by the Lost Boys, let alone a bunch of drugged-up gangers smile.gif, but I could easily change my mind.
HeySparky
I think we need to keep a low profile with the Brickhouse Boys, just to facilitate the approval process.

So, from that perspective, smaller is better. I think a blend of A and B.

The core of the Brickhouse Boys is a small group kept together by a single individual or a few core individuals who provide the minimum structure needed to keep the party going 24-7. Members aren't jumped in, neither are they required to show deep loyalties. But they also didn't get 'the coat' until the leader(s) said so. So there are a lot of hangers on that weren't 'in.'

A few questions I think we need to answer...

1. Who is Crowbar? (he's mentioned in the Journal as being killed on the 19th during the AK raid)
1a. If he's the(a) leader, where does he fit? (if he's at the chopshop and is part of that, it seems to point to him being part of the gang moving in that direction)
2. Were there other leaders?
3. When was the gang founded? Is it 20 years old? 10 years old? That seems like a long time for a partying gang to survive...
3a. Was the gang always the Brickhouse Boys?
3b. Were the original founders (that core of leadership) around for the gang's destruction?

I'm sure there're a zillion more, but that's a start.
HeySparky
*doublepost*
Eyeless Blond
You're absolutely right that the Boys can't have been that old. Maybe they grew out of the Crash?

Try this on for size: the Crash happens, and there are a lot of people like Trojan: students who were "slumming it" in the Barrens, throwing parties, doing drugs, paying for hookers, etc, suddenly becoming permanent residents of the brick tenements they were using to throw their raves in. Most of 'em were ganger wannabes, so some join existing gangs, and some create their own. Most of the newer ones are swallowed or destroyed fairly quickly (Trojan's all-dwarf Deep Hammers, for example).

The Brickhouse Boys survive, for three reasons. First, they hit on a formula that allowed them to survive, if not particularly thrive: the party machine. Second, they were more than a little delusional and disconnected from reality, especially their leader--let's give him a cool name, like Fat Charlie, a skinny Jamaican guy who talked, acted, and played the sax like a 1950s jazz musician. biggrin.gif Few bothered to screw with them for the same reason no one bothered with the Lost Boys: stickin' it in the crazy's a bad way to go. smile.gif Third, they managed to absorb a lot more of the wannabe gangs by having a very open admission policy, as proposed by Sparky. Though you don't "get the jacket," making you one of Charlie's brothers, until Fat Charlie says so, anyone is welcome to join the party, so long as you observe the two drink minimum and don't tag or deface the Brickhouses.

It's only very recently (say last few months) that Crowbar, one of Fat Charlie's jacketed brothers and a half-decent mechanic, hit on the idea of boosting cars. Since then, he'd managed to attract quite a bit of talent, opening up two more or less fully-equipped chop shops. Though fairly good at the biz itself, he failed to consider the fact that he was muscling in on the Asphalt Kings' market, which ultimately led to the AK's attack and the Brickhouse's subsequent, er, gang-raping by every other group around. nyahnyah.gif
Spike
I'm not sure if we want to go the route of changing up the leadership. That just adds grief to the process, but...

The origin works for me, at least within the logic of Shadowrun gangs. Gotta figure that during the 'party boy' phase, they survived more because it wasn't worth taking them out. They stole cars (don't need a gang to do that) for joyrides, they occasionally hustled pimps and sold whatever they could get their hands on.

In all likelihood, they didn't control anything at all but the brick tenaments themselves, and other 'rival' gangs operated more or less freely in BB turf up until they started getting their act together.

Once they started stealing cars with a purpose (chopping) and started organizing, no matter how half assed, they became a minor thorn in the sides of the people who had been otherwise ignoring them. If anything, the recent Kingsgate war sounds mostly like really rotten timing for the BB's. Another few months and maybe they'da been organized enough to fight back proper (or at least cut their teeth on more managable rumbles), a few months (a year maybe?) earlier and no one would have bothered. Figure if anything, a largish gang holed up in sturdy brick buildings has got to be a chore to roust. Once they move to garages and a larger street presence, however, you don't need to bother, just hit them where it hurts.

Put Crowbar in the position of organizer, not just 'boss' and then we know why he went down first, cut the head off and the Boys, while still large and somewhat eager for a fight had no plans, just poorly directed anger.
Eyeless Blond
Thing is, there was no leadership to start with. Crowbar is just a guy some drunken Brickhouser was mourning because he got his arm and leg ripped off by the Wartoad on Oct. 19th. I don't know where we got the idea he was a leader (actually I do; it's a mistake I made in a chat w/ Sparky on the subject, as I was running out the door); there's no mention of leadership for the Brickhouse. And it makes sense that the chop shops weren't run by the "leader," because it was so ineptly pulled off, compared to the gang's previous existence. I mean, what kind of idiot infringes on another gang's turf without even considering or preparing for the consequences?
Spike
A million idiots a day, around the world. Sometimes it works out fine, obviously this time it didn't.

Like I said, partly a victim of bad timing, what with all the larger (teir two?) gangs allying up on the other side (raider nation, UVN, so on). The Asphalt Kings were obviously able to free up a lot of energy for this rumble, essentially throwing everything they had into stomping the boys into the ground.

Now, without all those alliances, they'd have had to content themselves with raids and small skirmishes, which while 'painful' wouldn't have necessarily broken the back of the BB's. One of two things might have occured: The boys decide that moving up into 'business' isn't worth the hassel and returned to a bit player party house, with more and more members spinning off to real gangs, or close ranks, organize a bit more and learn to fight back. Assuming the later, after a few months of skirmish warfare the Boys might have been able to hold their own, possibly even started fielding 'war machines' of their own, out of necessity if nothing else.

Going back a step: Fat Charlie just doesn't fit to me. I'm not sure if its a bad reaction to the name, or the whole Jazz angle, or I just mentally latched on to Crowbar as the leader right off the bat, maybe all three.
Eyeless Blond
Aww, here I thought he made a perfect character for a party gang leader, kinda like how that Peter Pan kid made a perfect leader for the Lost Boys. Crowbar I see as making a better lieutenant, the ambitious upstart, either doing it to please the boss or because he wants to take over. Maybe this wasn't his first get rich quick idea; before that he was spearheading the "protection racket" thing, which is where he and Maus first met? He always struck me as sort of megalomaniacal, rather like a less over-the-top version of Glasco from Shortpacked; have you ever read that webcomic?

I chose Fat Charlie because I just finished reading Anansi Boys by Neil Gaiman, and the notion of a skinny guy being called "Fat Charlie" by everyone, just out of habit, really struck a chord with me.

Am I not being dark and serious and melodramatic enough? Do these guys have to be all tragic and downtrodden, even before the Kings crush them like little ants? I like my tragic figures to have hope and life before they get dumped on; it makes things more poignant.
Spike
Ah, that explains the instant dislike: Gaiman. Apparently I can now smell his influence even through the intartubes.... We already have a mage using his 'Death' as a totem...

Honestly, I seem to have a tonal issue. Most of the streetgang stuff I've seen so far seems to be out of a bad '80s movie, whereas I seem to be trying to operate on a vaguely defined 'real life' idea.

Don't get me wrong; I like bad 80's movies at least as much (if not more) than the next guy... but that's just not why I sit down to game generally. I think the 'cyberpunk' aesthetic should have grown and matured as it aged, not remained trapped in a weird headspace where 'rocker' was a 'great' idea for a shadowrunner, and gang leaders of frat house streetgangs should be Jamacan Jazz dudes named Fat Charlie.

Of course, I'm also the guy who has WTF! moments when people tell me that in the real world guys drink to get tougher and bolder with chicks, not to get drunk, or take PCP so they'll be strong enough to shatter every bone in their hand as they punch through a brick wall.

Taking the drug generally IS the point, now what it does for you. Yeah, I know, Speed was popularized by truckers who didn't want to fall asleep at the wheel, and lots of opium addicts started with chronic pain they were alieviating. Its not all cut and dried. I'd like to think BTLs would be, but I've been overruled, so...

In conclusion: I see one point of disconnect: You seem to be tossing out literary ideas (melodramatic, tragic figures, poignant moments...). I'm not, generally, operating under that sort of assumption. I'm strictly a cause and effect sort of guy... at least when designing worlds and things that go in them. Even at my most literary I tend to think more grim action movie than Poe or Neil Fucking Gaiman.

Hopefully we'll find a middle ground.

As for Crowbar: I ran into a reference with him as the leader and ran with it. I'm attached to the idea for that reason. Apparently you had the same assumption, but instead of running with it, you realized it was just an assumption and dropped it like a hot rock.

I suppose someone else could have been the leader and Crowbar could have just been someone influential, but aside from my irrational pitbull deathgrip on the idea, why recreate the wheel? We have a working model already: Crowbar is a named NPC from the gang, his death/mauling on the 19th was pretty important to the surviving gang members, and it easy to see him as a leader and move on. At least two of us had already made that assumption, its natural, why not keep it?

Anyway, I'll cut this short. I'm running on less than three hours of sleep, I'm snippier than usual and have been engaging stupidity as a sideline while waiting for the ball to roll and I don't want to get into a fight over nothing.

Also: For influential Comic dude, I prefer Alan Moore.
Eyeless Blond
Heh, not a fan of Neil Gaiman? Yeah, I agree he's not very cyberpunk. More later, but middle ground on the leader is definitely appealing; something with a harder edge, but still someone whose ambitions run more to the party side than the business side.

For me, the move from parties and drugs to serious chopshopping smacks of a get-rich-quick scheme, hatched by an upstart lieutenant, more than a sea change by the top leadership. I mean, they're not exactly the most interrelated fields in the world. And a name like Crowbar sounds more like a chopshop leader's name than the name of a party gang leader, so the notion of him being a lieutenant who was known for get rich quick schemes suddenly having a great business idea and following through on it, just seemed to fit better than him as a guy who was pure 24/7 sex, drugs and rock n' roll for years and suddenly decided to take the gang in a whole new direction.

Thing is, it's your show. So far, you're the only one approved to post, so you have the final word on everything, just by posting it IC. You're also the one with the longest-running affiliation with the gang, and it makes up more of your identity than most of us. So however you want to do it, that's the way we'll do it.
Spike
Its not that I'm 'not a fan'. Hey, I enjoyed Stardust a hell of a lot more than I expected. Its just that Gaiman, like Harlan Ellison before him has way to rabid a fanbase, and way too much 'fanboy cache' than his CV actually earns him. Too little work, too much 'flash' to the works in question for me to really get all the love. In RPG circles Anasazi Boys crops up EVERYWHERE... and gets annoying fast, sort of like 'gothic lolita death'.

But back to the Brickhouse Boys. Since apparently I'm now shouldering the workload... I'd ask how that happened, but I suspect my intractability and general irritable posts have more to do with it than simply being the only currently active member.... smile.gif

For as long as anyone can remember there have been gangs in the old brick tenements in Kingsgate. Hundreds of families live there, poor, dispossessed... the local kids have always run in packs, played in packs, done petty crimes in packs. Just a fact of life of Kingsgate. Not that anyone would rightly call those packs of kids 'gangs', not properly. The real gangs of the area pretty much left the tenements alone, and used the various Brickhouse gangs as recruiting grounds, poaching the kids with the most potential, leaving the hanger-ons to age up and out of the gangs.

The Crash didn't change too much. Not at first. A wave of newly SINless, many of them young adults, college students and dissaffected teenagers looking for an excuse migrated to the area and settled, naturally enough into the relatively tame area of the Brickyard. They tended to group up together, and the younger kids began looking up to these 'more affluent' young men and their party-boy behavior. This was the start of the Brickhouse Boys.

Not that anyone in Kingsgate really cared. The new Boys were an older, larger version of the old Boys. Still unorganized, still committing petty crimes for petty reasons, and anyone with real talent or ability got snatched up and jumped into a real gang soon enough.

Crowbar was an old school Boy, having grown up in the Brickyard, in fact never setting foot outside of the tenement he was born in until he was 8. (Assumption, these are huge hab block buildings...). He'd never moved into real gangs, but his violent streak and tendency to steal cars (be means of the eponymous crowbar he carried for this purpose... breaking locking mechanisms by brute force) earned him his moniker and a reputation as a wild loner. When he was 12 he was picked up in Touristville after boosting a car some foolish SINner had driven to go slumming and spent the next 8 years in the Port Orchard Pit, getting out four years ago a hardened con.

Crowbar could have joined just about any Gang he wanted in Kingsgate, but he went back to the Yard, and linked up with the new incarnation of the Boys, bringing with him more criminal inclinations. Still, the other 'adults' in the gang considered him an outsider, a johnny come lately, and even, to an extent a wet blanket. He was good for scoring booze, often boosting it off of trucks, but not much else.

But Crowbar had some things they didn't have. He had ambition to be more than just another yardie thug, just another ganger. He also had a decent idea of how real gangs worked. He even had some real leadership ability, lots of the younger Boys looked up to him.

The only thing he lacked, the only thing he'd ever lacked, was a good plan.

Taking over the boys was easy. He brought in some real criminals, real street gangers, some of whom (like Maus) he'd met in prison. Others he recruited from other sources. His crew adopted the Peacoats to identify themselves within the Boys, and started doing 'real crime', shaking down the pimps, boosting cars for sale to chop shops, pushing BTLs and Drugs. It wasn't hard to recruit, the Brickhouse Boys party hard lifestyle was attractive to a lot of street gangers who thought the endless rumble was a waste of time.

Amazingly, there was no Schism. The previous Boys lacked real leadership, just degrees of influence over the seething mass of partygoers and boozehounds. The relatively organized and motivated Peacoats eventually became 'The Gang' while everyone else faded into 'hanger-ons', and the Boys had 'arrived'. Two years to the day after stepping out of the Port Orchard Pen, Crowbar looked out over what he had wrought and thought it was good.

That was when they started really pushing themselves as a real gang. The tradition of not messing too much with the Brickhouse Boys held firm for a little while, but when Crowbar cracked down on poaching his members, it evaporated like so much smoke.

The first garage opened up soon after, and the Boys began rumbling, stealing cars and whatever else they could in roving packs, bringing them back to be stripped down for resale. It took another year before they started seeing enough profit to open the second chop shop. That was when they really earned the ire of the Asphalt Kings.

It started small. The kings were still growing into their role, but viewed all cars in Kingsgate as theirs. A few rumbles, a few streetfights and demo derbys were the name of the game at that point, the AK's heavily modified custom jobs against the Boys willingness to go steal an entire carlot just for that fight made for some interesting matchups. Nothing was resolved, and with some arrogance, the Brickhouse Boys thought they'd arrived, able to take on an older, more organized gang and win.

In reality, the Kings had other things to worry about than dealing with the BB's. Kingsgate was rapidly turning into a potential warzone between all the rival gangs in the area, and the Kings were playing things close to their chests.

It helped that the old brick tenements were, by Barrens standards, a fortress. No gang could operate freely in the brickyard neighborhood unless they belonged there. It wasn't the Boys particularly, but the thousands of residents who, while hardly on excellent terms with one another, were hardly willing to allow outsiders to roll through their homes. The last gang who had tried that had never come back out, though the yardies were disposing of their own fallen for days after. Most of the adult residents had grown up in the Boys, considered them family...

But the Boys weren't limited to the tenements anymore, in fact Crowbar had set up shop in one of the garages to be closer to the action. When the Wartoad crashed through the wall, he was one of the first to go down, mangled by the modified dumptruck. Many of the boys retreated to the tenements, shell shocked and confused, many of the newer members holed up in the second chop shop, and planned to fight back. Unorganized, confused and lacking anyone willing to step into Crowbars shoes right away, their petty war was fueled by outrage and numbers.

That ended, along with most of the surviving Peacoats, when UVN, secretly allied with the Asphalt Kings, burned the second Chopshop to the ground with most of the gang still inside.

Plenty of survivors though. The Boys were always a large gang, and the tenements were still safe ground, though these days wearing the coat might get you booted. The Kings and the Ultraviolence Nation are still willing to rumble at the sight of a Peacoat, and the Yardies don't want to invite trouble. Best just to scatter the Brickyard Boys and return to the old ways, when no one wanted to mess with them.

Got to check some timelines in there, but there's my take. don't want to put anyone else character in without their input, but I tried to establish a 'way in' for anyone.
HeySparky
QUOTE (Spike @ Apr 1 2008, 11:33 AM) *
Got to check some timelines in there, but there's my take. don't want to put anyone else character in without their input, but I tried to establish a 'way in' for anyone.

Wow. That's nice. I'm still leery of the 'large gang' thing, but overall a very nice treatment. Could you plug that into the wiki? With dates and all?
Spike
I can try to plug it in. One thing to keep in mind is the size of the gang is based on a massive pool of 'assosiates' rather than core members. I haven't tried to put up a split between the two, as eventually a huge percentage of even the 'Peacoats' would have been more 'assossiates' than actual gang members, given a lack of Jumping In, if you were a Yardie you automatically had membership just by saying 'yeah, I'm a boy'.

Which turned out to be their weakness when the Kings rolled through them: All those 'members' suddenly... weren't.
Eyeless Blond
Yeah, it seems good to me. I don't think WR will object either; with this story it's not like the Boys were ever a large gang; more like a collection of small kiddie crews who were just lumped together under the label "Brickhouse/Brickyard Boys."

Heh, "yardies." Gotta make sure we use that (and Brickyard) too; sounds much less silly than "housers". biggrin.gif
Spike
that's why I adopted it as the general term for the neighborhood. As gang names go, the Brickhouse Boys is fine, but I needed a 'casual use' term that tripped off the tongue better.

I've done the timeline, but it implies some cleaning to the main post before I move it to the wiki. I'd like to get input on Rico and the other members so I'm not utterly ignoring them/making it 'Maus's show' before I move the entire thing over. I've also deepened the rivalry a bit between the Kings and the Boys, hopefully I didn't go too far. I'll post more details in the general recruiting thread about that.

I'm mentally assembling the 'ground' of the Yard as I go. I see, easily, three or four massive brick blockhouses sharing a common 'yard' area, sort of like barracks complexes on army bases. Maybe a few smaller, older brick tenements in teh area as well. Residents would subdivide based on building (E block) and floor, maybe even wing ( I'm from E Block, Four West...), but still see themselves as part of a larger 'coalition', and the kids roam from building to building unopposed, meaning the 'Boys' were a singular entity from the entire complex.

This is presupposing that the tenements are more in line with 'Ghetto' tenements and not more conventional urban housing units. Layout is not unlike a hotel with fewer amenities (long hallways, a lobby area, 'apartments' lined up in identical tiny rooms.). Alternatively, the 'halls' are outside, with mezzanines, but that doesn't sound very 'brick' like to me...

I don't actually see much 'turf' using in the tenements themselves. Obviously, it was a core area that other gangs can't get a foothold in (being outsiders), but for car boosting and chopping the Boys had to 'move out'. While they still essentially 'owned' the turf, the familial connection made it less lucrative to actually run it.

I do imagine that there is still a heavy gang presence in the Yard itself, even this quick after the destruction of the Boys. They've ditched the name and the peacoats, and given up on expanding, but the members who were least likely to move out of the Yard and into the more lucrative gang opportunities outside are still there. If we were to pull back the timeline so we could watch the evolution we'd see a hybrid of the old party boys and the newer businessminded gangers, with an emphasis on squeezing/protecting the Yard area.

Right now I imagine the 'survivors' are those who would be unwelcome in the Yard itself for being die hard 'Peacoats', the ones that were closest to Crowbar's operation. Schism if you like. Mutual anathema, depending upon how close the individual's attachement to the Yard is (Maus has almost none... sadly. Rico probably does have a lot of ties to the Yard itself (through family), despite being one of Crowbar's buddies. Welcome to the hood, but not by the remaining gang, if you will. (the Yard's particular characteristics might explain how Drip survived there and got in a gang at all....without a 'jumping in' other than being a yardie its easy to see less than badass members survive....)
Bearclaw
Nice job guys. Sorry for the lack of contribution, but I just found and read the thread. I like what you've got down, and it works with what I had.

In my backstory, Rico was working in the chop-shop and got shot out in the alley before it blew. He woke up to bodies and a burnt down garage.
Spike
The real question is (having access to this awesome (I'm modest) resource on gang/neighborhood material ahead of time (unlike moi), how much of it do you want to use. When did Rico join the gang? Is his family in the Yard neighborhood or were you one of Crowbar's 'recruits' from outside, brought in to add legitmacy to the gang outside the yard?

Though now I know why Maus hasn't been hanging with Rico, he missed the showdown all together. Not being the sort to think to check for survivors he just saw the wreckage and 'moved on'. Of course, he might be mourning the loss of the garage more than any individual... he's a bit odd.
HeySparky
I've been trying to figure out where to make Dozer from - this is perfect.

((Dozer grew up in one of those kiddie gangs, one that was 'funded' by a scam charity. The scam centered around Daddy (the boss of the kiddie gang) taking a money to (figuratively) pimp out a bunch of 'Children who need your help. Call today.' He'd take pics and vids of them, write or make them write or record messages to the scammed sponsors. Daddy got a cut of the donations and the folks running the scam WAY overcharged the targeted wealthy sponsors. That, of course, fell apart. The falling apart is Dozer's story.

So Dozer's kiddie gang was not much different than the others, but they were sorta kept apart as much as possible. 1) so that folks wouldn't get wind of the scam and want it and 2) because it wasn't profitable if the kids got hurt.

That'll let Dozer have been under the radar a bit.))

Now... I'm thinking Dozer was a recent Peacoat. He's gonna have some sort of tricked out pickup truck. The tricked out-ed-ness is sorta up to WR. I'm gonna talk to him about it.

I like this BG because it's a lot of good flavor and a lot of opportunities to fit your character in however you like.

Spike
Sure, nickel and dime scam operations like that are the bread and butter income of many tenement rats, even today. I'm not sure about the isolation bit, necessarily.. I mean, taking the entire tenement as a whole gives a much wider range of potentially 'adoptable' kids, but then again, I had a hard time parsing your posted backstory... that is 'where Dozer fits in the story'....

While I've put the Boys into the mindset of 'drive 'em like ya stole 'em'.... cause they did, that doesn't disallow personal 'tricked out' rides either.

though I suppose I could start chanting 'one of us' over and over again... but then I'd have to make Maus conform more too...

One of us
One of us...

Sorry, its easy once you get started to get trapped in it.... nyahnyah.gif
Eyeless Blond
Well, the "tricked out"-edness I have an idea for. I'll post after lunch. smile.gif
Spike
So. When I walked to lunch I had this totally naff idea.

there seems to be some confusion on just how dead Crowbar is. Rather than weigh in on the topic with any finality (and since his 'death' probably involved a giant armored dump truck crashing through the wall of his office unexpectedly, there is BOUND to be some confusion on the subject in any case), I leave that up to WinterRat to decide (oh, great one...hallowed be... um.. nevermind...)

But:

I think I'll stat up the 'post injury' Crowbar as if he DID live and is currently holed up somewhere in the Yard recuperating. He might make an interesting contact later on (the fallen Gang Leader) or, on the off chance Maus doesn't survive the 'first event'... well it'd make an interesting backup character...

WHile normally I would say he should be a higher BP character, I think we can safely assume having limbs ripped off and losing most of what you own to a wartoad justifies a reduction to starthing character levels.

-Spike, who cackles madly whenever the mood strikes....
Eyeless Blond
QUOTE (Bearclaw @ Apr 1 2008, 11:32 AM) *
In my backstory, Rico was working in the chop-shop and got shot out in the alley before it blew. He woke up to bodies and a burnt down garage.
Which one? The one on the 19th, or the one on the 31st? That's kind of an important distinction.

Okay, here's what I got:

Dozer and Drip met back in the early days of the chop shops, when Crowbar was aggressively looking for young blood to work in the pits. Drip was a Tacoma native, where the gangs are much more tightly controlled and most of the homeless and downtrodden are individuals, wandering around homeless and scrounging for food, not building gangs and chopping cars. He and Dozer jumped at the opportunity to join the shops, Drip because of the prospect of regular meals, Dozer for reasons of his own.

Now, Drip is a relatively smart guy, but until Oct. 19th he never considered that the Kings would ever come after them. Until he joined up with the peacoats and their chopshop he'd been one of the teeming masses of starving street urchins... well sorta, Drip's never been very conventional. But still, he was naive, and the events of the 19th were a wake-up call. To survive, the yardies needed to be as much of a threat as the Kings, and that meant weapons. Big weapons, because Drip's a little guy and he tends to overestimate the value of being big.

So, while the rest of the oldsters were retreating to the tenements, Drip and Dozer, along with a small group of angry, dedicated gangers were planning a counterattack, a big one. They spent the next week and a half working on a beaten-up SUV they had stolen the week before, busily turning it into a tank that Drip immediately dubbed the Kingslayer. The plan was to bum-rush the Kings on Halloween night, doing to them what had been done to the peacoats only a short time before, but with less smashing of hardware and more running over of people.

Unfortunately, both groups had the same idea, at basically the same time, and they passed in the night. The Kingslayer's warparty arrived to find the King's base devoid of its heavy hitters, and the Kings arrived to destroy the Yardys' chop shop, killing or scattering everyone who hadn't gone on the warpath.
HeySparky
You and that SUV. nyahnyah.gif

I really like the name Kingslayer. Gotta have a ganger pal go down named Jaime. biggrin.gif Maybe it was Jaime's ride. Someone that doesn't put Dozer front-and-center too much.
Spike
Naff, except it was UVN the second time by the pre-existing timeline (and reinforcing the totally unnecessary (in this case) point that it was the coordination between the bigger gangs that lead to everyone else getting stomped flat, more than just utter patheticness.

I'd love to have Trojan/Johnny Soho's takes on the post 19th stuff too. The idea of this souped up SUV would need to be run through the GM's, unless that happens to be your approved gear so far.

Why I'm saying 'Naff' all the time? No idea. Seemed Naff, so I nicked it.

HeySparky
The souped up TRUCK* is what I'm requesting from WR instead of the BP I'd been granted as my reward (for my part in the wiki - linked map, character sheets, structure (all with Vegas' help of course)). So I'm bringing Dozer in at 310 bp and broaching the subject of the Kingslayer and whatever else (Control Rig or summat) being equivalent of the rest of the BP.

* Actual vehicle is TBD.
Eyeless Blond
QUOTE (ES_Sparky @ Apr 1 2008, 03:38 PM) *
You and that SUV. nyahnyah.gif

I really like the name Kingslayer. Gotta have a ganger pal go down named Jaime. biggrin.gif Maybe it was Jaime's ride. Someone that doesn't put Dozer front-and-center too much.
Don't forget the mechanical arms. Gotta have mechanical arms. biggrin.gif

Jaime "Lion" Goldman. Lost his right hand in the Oct 19th raid, and so lent his Kingslayer to Dozer, to get revenge. rotfl.gif
Eyeless Blond
So, thanks to all that excellent work by Spike, I'm not sure what else we need here. The only thing I can think of is to maybe map out the brickyard itself, and locate it and the chopshops somewhere in yardie territory.

Oh, and inform WR that we have a consolidated background for the Boys now. smile.gif
Spike
That locating stuff someone else will have to do, The Redmond maps have proven superior to my primative brain....
Eyeless Blond
Okay, I'll try to figure out how that works then. Means I'll have to download Flash, darn it. nyahnyah.gif
HeySparky
If you need a loc added to the maps, talk to Vegas. As to WHERE it should go... I got no idea... and I don't remember where Boys turf was. I should really know that.

Again - talk to Vegas.
Vegas
yes, talk to me about placing locations. DO NOT TOUCH THE MAPS. I don't care how "versed" you are in graphics programs.. DO NOT TOUCH THE MAPS biggrin.gif
WinterRat1
UNDER NO CIRCUMSTANCES WHATSO FREAKING EVER SHOULD ANYONE OTHER THAN VEGAS, SPARKY, OR MYSELF TOUCH THE MAPS!

IN CASE YOU MISSED THAT, LET ME REPEAT, DO NOT TOUCH THE MAPS!!!

DO.

NOT.

TOUCH.

THE MAPS.

(Have I made myself clear yet? biggrin.gif)
Eyeless Blond
Yes, yes of course. No touching of the maps. When I was referring to downloading Flash it was to get street views of the BB's area; I think that's available through Google Maps. Satellite views are tough to work with, and it's not like I can get in a car and drive around the area myself. smile.gif
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Dumpshock Forums © 2001-2012