Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Odd weapons....
Dumpshock Forums > Discussion > Shadowrun
Pages: 1, 2
HullBreach
Just curious what kind of odd weapons other folks have used as players or had players use as GM's.

Feel free to throw it all out there, improvised weapons, strange choices in firearms, weapon foci, etc..

I'll start us off. As a player, I actually ran a street sam who carried a baseball bat as a backup weapon.

I had a player who, as a gunslinger adept, insisted on only using Colt Single Action Army revolvers.

I had another player (playing a troll) rip the cyberarm off of a Yakuza enforcer, and proceed to beat down most of a bar with it before being brought down by multiple (4 if I recall correctly) taser hits.
Larme
One character that my friend played with was an Adept who used a dikoted golf club, and counted it as a mace.
Stahlseele
the monofilament net-gun . . grossly ineffective and hugely overpriced for ammo . . but icky and gruesome to use . . another one put a spur into a cyber-tail . . another had custom built cyber-ware this mouth whip with the thorn on it and placed into the arm
Moon-Hawk
Once I had a player try to build a staple-gun on a stick. He figured that when he hit people with them it would shoot a staple in and hurt more. *sigh*
paws2sky
QUOTE (Moon-Hawk @ Apr 2 2008, 03:38 PM) *
Once I had a player try to build a staple-gun on a stick. He figured that when he hit people with them it would shoot a staple in and hurt more. *sigh*

That sounds like something a 9 year old would come up with.

Yoink! *files idea away in case I ever get to play or GM Changeling again*
Jaid
QUOTE (HullBreach @ Apr 2 2008, 04:22 PM) *
I had another player (playing a troll) rip the cyberarm off of a Yakuza enforcer, and proceed to beat down most of a bar with it before being brought down by multiple (4 if I recall correctly) taser hits.

did he tell the enforcer to stop hitting himself while bludgeoning him with his own arm? (if i was in charge of that character, i would've =P )
Insomnia Strikes Again
I recently started playing and adept who is addicted to roleplaying games. Thanks to missle mastery and power throw her weapon of choice is the 12 mm dice she always carries around.
DocTaotsu
Hands down the goofiest weapon ever introduced into a game.

Dikoted Toaster, wielded by spinning it around by the cord and throwing it at things (was used with custom active skill "Urban Hunting")

I think the player was trying to poke fun at some of the goofy SR2-3 rules. Still...
Rasumichin
QUOTE (HullBreach @ Apr 2 2008, 09:22 PM) *

Beating people up with their own arms is classic.
Stahlseele
i knew i had that somewhere
http://farm2.static.flickr.com/1137/127697...8f78c1903_o.jpg
*gg*
Spike
Had a fellow player in one game who's concept boiled down to 'the latest James Bond Simsense Actor', who lived his role on the streets as part of his gig.

He used the golf club schtick but took it further, explody golfballs he'd 'launch' via tee shot, explody headed 'drivers' and so on. Guess he figured the golf club thing went with the tuxedo and goofy accent.
Revolution
In third edition I had a troll street sam who specialized in using a di-koted Gravestone. It was his that the company that had screwed him and thought him dead used on his empty grave, it was even still engraved with his info.
suppenhuhn
I once had a troll throwing adept that used a dwarven close combat adept as throwing weapon. Mebbe we played too much Blood Bowl before nyahnyah.gif
Tarantula
Any adept with missile mastery is usually fairly entertaining. We had one in a game once with a moderate addiction to fast food (not to mention being obese and rigging inclined). Regardless, his preferred weapon was to huck french fries at people, then proclaim how bad they were for your health.
Limited Infinity
I had a were panther that had a collar that released into a monofilament whip
Kyoto Kid
...Tomoe Sasaki (3rd ed) was an ace with her beanball attack (called shot). Had one hell of a fastball & could usually knock an opponent out in one throw.

...the funny thing was she wasn't even an adept, just a lot of bio & cyber along with one helluva of a Throwing (Pitching) skill.
OneThirtyEight
A dead goose. Seriously.
Kyoto Kid
...now that deserves a notworthy.gif

...followed by a couple three rotfl.gif rotfl.gif rotfl.gif
nathanross
QUOTE (Tarantula @ Apr 2 2008, 08:45 PM) *
Any adept with missile mastery is usually fairly entertaining. We had one in a game once with a moderate addiction to fast food (not to mention being obese and rigging inclined). Regardless, his preferred weapon was to huck french fries at people, then proclaim how bad they were for your health.

Never imagined getting my eye taken out by a deep fried potato. Fresh fruit on the other hand...
krakjen
A sharpened troll-sized spade.
Using the edge for killing and the flat for stunning (well, with a few broken bones sometimes...)
That was kinda ugly.
Cardul
In 3rd Edition, a Troll samurai in one game picked up a Jackrabbit and threw it into a squad of corp sec(the driver, BTW, was still inside!)

I believe my reaction was "Ok..um..don't say no, assign a difficulty..and..um..OK..how much damage would a car do if thrown onto someone?"
Method
I currently have a throwing adept in my RL group who walks around with nothing more than a pocketful of coasters he stole at a bar and a 2' X 4' which he recently used to take out a ganger on a motorcycle...

Once had a player (running a cybersam) pull the arm off an ork ganger and beat his friends with it. Old hat, i know, except afterward the PC reattached it for him... with a knife through the shoulder. ork.gif

Not exactly related, but another player in that group was running a throwing adept who also happened to be a womanizing man-whore. He actually payed to have a cure disease spell anchored on his, um... "special weapon".

Had another player use an anti-ship explosive device as a melee weapon. Blew up his PC and another just to piss off the other player. This infamously came to be known as "The Hull Cracker Incident" among our group.
ornot
QUOTE (Method @ Apr 3 2008, 01:02 AM) *
<snip>Not exactly related, but another player in that group was running a throwing adept who also happened to be a womanizing man-whore. He actually payed to have a cure disease spell anchored on his, um... "special weapon". <snip>

Hmm.. did the anchoring ritual involve tattoos?

where's the ouch emoticon?
ElFenrir
Hmm...i havn't seen anything odd. I have one character who loathes using firearms and even weapons, sticking to only unarmed combat, but will toss a knife or a flashbang(flash-pak setup preferred) if it's REALLY REALLY necessary, but that's more to open things up for some buttkicking.

Oh, i did have a rigger who had a cyberleg(recieved after an accident), who decided he'd pimp it out with his obsession with tinkering with everything(think the guy who is never happy with a mechanical object), and installed a blade in the foot; he heavily modified his boot so it could slip out, and he trained himself to fight with it. Not too over-the-top though. Now, if he gets the means(he's alive and well) to install a mini-rocket in his knee? Then things might get interesting. grinbig.gif

Metahuman bodies(usually still alive) have been used of course(with or without permission. This never resulted in death, though. Just some bumps.)

Erm, and to the post above...well it wasn't a weapon per se but there was my ex rocker turned sam who on a drunken bet one night(he has no memory), got a certain part of his replaced with a more mechanical version. (yes, we used this object from the other game in Shadowrun.)

Though i suppose it could make for an emergency surprise if they got captured if it was outfitted with some recoil compensators and a two shot bullet sys.....arg arg arg forget i said that *grabs the brain bleach, removes brain, and begins scrubbing vigorously before throwing it in the steam washer*

#&%ยค, after the dead goose i think i'm out of ideas. rotfl.gif
hermit
Though i suppose it could make for an emergency surprise if they got captured if it was outfitted with some recoil compensators and a two shot bullet sys

This so reminds me of that Guy from 'from Dusk Till dawn' ... Sex Machine, I think, and his crotch dual-drum revolver.

Best abuse of a weapon I've known was pretty mild - the dikote'd Barret 121 with a dikote'd underbarrel bayonet fitted. Or various improvised weapons, like flamethrowers from hair spray cans and pocket lighters, or the rapid reaction missile mastery adept who caught and threw back an arrow at the shooter, killing him.

And then there was this troll street preacher/combat adept who had this modified ... well, we ruled it'd be a halberd - a pole with a dikote'd cardbord sign that said "the end is near!" He also used to yell that at people before chopping them to bits with hs ... well, sort of halberd.
ElFenrir
Best abuse of a weapon I've known was pretty mild - the dikote'd Barret 121 with a dikote'd underbarrel bayonet fitted. Or various improvised weapons, like flamethrowers from hair spray cans and pocket lighters, or the rapid reaction missile mastery adept who caught and threw back an arrow at the shooter, killing him.

Oh, the hairspray thing, IMO, is just smart. If i had a combustible can of something and no weapon, i'd do that. The dikoted Barret Model, though...uhh...''Swordchucks'' came into my mind as well here. nyahnyah.gif

And then there was this troll street preacher/combat adept who had this modified ... well, we ruled it'd be a halberd - a pole with a dikote'd cardbord sign that said "the end is near!" He also used to yell that at people before chopping them to bits with hs ... well, sort of halberd.

I could see this in one of those ''Extreme Action'' movies as one of the opponents. biggrin.gif

This so reminds me of that Guy from 'from Dusk Till dawn' ... Sex Machine, I think, and his crotch dual-drum revolver.

Ohhhh yeah. Oh dear. I just got another horrific idea(dear gods i think the Finnish winter has officially driven me mad) of a corporate villian and his 'lackey', a guy who is made to look somewhat like Tom Jones with some....secret attacks...

...and his nickname is ''Sex Bomb''.
hermit
Uhm, I'd like to have that PM'd, for my collection of insane NPC, if you don't mind ...

Erm, and to the post above...well it wasn't a weapon per se but there was my ex rocker turned sam who on a drunken bet one night(he has no memory), got a certain part of his replaced with a more mechanical version. (yes, we used this object from the other game in Shadowrun.)

The minidisc player version from Transmetropolitan or the CP2020 no-frills basic variant?
ElFenrir
No-frills basic. But the GM(it was a REALLY over the top crazed weekend-long campaign-the PCs involved were my rocker-sam, my buddy's insane redneck rigger/sam Dusty Rhoades, an ex-con who ran around in an orange jumpsuit with a heroin addiction and a cyberninja) made it clear i could get some 'mods' for it. biggrin.gif

and yeah, ill PM you SB in a bit. grinbig.gif
Fortune
Why PM it? Post it up for all of us to use and abuse. wink.gif
ElFenrir
Very well then grinbig.gif

This guy is a little above a starting PC due to him being a right-hand man of sorts; think criminal organization like in an action movie.

[ Spoiler ]

There you go, use and abuse as you wish. I just hope it's in an 18+ game. grinbig.gif
hobgoblin
QUOTE (suppenhuhn @ Apr 3 2008, 03:40 AM) *
I once had a troll throwing adept that used a dwarven close combat adept as throwing weapon. Mebbe we played too much Blood Bowl before nyahnyah.gif

fastball special, coming up!
hobgoblin
QUOTE (krakjen @ Apr 3 2008, 06:59 AM) *
A sharpened troll-sized spade.
Using the edge for killing and the flat for stunning (well, with a few broken bones sometimes...)
That was kinda ugly.

hmm, sounds like what german soldiers would do with their trench spade in ww2...

still, troll sized, ouch. that would be up there with a two handed waraxe i guess wink.gif
KarmaInferno
Bullets.

Though, given the character was a Missile Adept, not actually launched using a firearm.

I am certain the cops later on scratched their heads a bit trying to figure out the ballistics.

"Wait, the cartridges were still attached to the bullets when you dug them out of the body?"

In our current game: a purse filled with Foamex.

In another game I have a shank made from two plastic spoons and a razor blade.

-Chrysalis
Balcon13
Det-Net: NEt for net gun made out of Detination cord with a motion trigger. Fire det-net trigger turns on, raps around something (or someone *S*) stops moving same speed "BOOOM" rotate.gif
Daier Mune
QUOTE (Balcon13 @ Apr 3 2008, 01:16 PM) *
Det-Net: NEt for net gun made out of Detination cord with a motion trigger. Fire det-net trigger turns on, raps around something (or someone *S*) stops moving same speed "BOOOM" rotate.gif

I salute you, sir.
krakjen
QUOTE (hobgoblin @ Apr 3 2008, 06:54 PM) *
hmm, sounds like what german soldiers would do with their trench spade in ww2...

still, troll sized, ouch. that would be up there with a two handed waraxe i guess wink.gif

Yeah, I'm pretty sure that was the inspiration. But they had no troll in the trenches :>
For what I remember, the damage was equivalent of combat axe / mace (stun) with a TN malus.
And of course an Exotic weapon skill: "War gardening" biggrin.gif
HullBreach
QUOTE (krakjen @ Apr 3 2008, 03:45 PM) *
And of course an Exotic weapon skill: "War gardening" biggrin.gif

Damn this gives whole new volumes of meaning to the time tested phrase: "Hey you damn kids get off my lawn!"
hermit

WW1. It's in "Everything Quiet ont he Western Front", that novel."

Kyoto Kid
QUOTE (hobgoblin @ Apr 3 2008, 08:50 AM) *
fastball special, coming up!

...never did this in Shadowrun but in Champions, my character Amber and our "brick", Strong Guy (& no, his name wasn't Guido though he did have rather stylish tastes) worked up a variant of the Fastball Special as a co-ordinated attack. SG would pick Amber up and chuck her at bad guy #1 who of course would brace for the incoming attack. Being a teleporter Amber would bamf and reappear a few feet from, say, bad guy #3 (who was totally unprepared) at full velocity and throw a martial punch or kick in in to boot.

...the GM hated us.
hermit
Funny. My fourth character was a troll called Brutus who'd use a dwarf called Cannonball as a ranged weapon. Melee dwarf adept, throwing weapons troll adept. Both former circus artists.

Yes, both me and the dwarf player really were into X-Men back then.
WearzManySkins
Had a troll character in SR3, part of the mission was to go into a secure facility. Lots a sec troops, and very straight linear hallways.

Asked the GM on the size/dimensions of the hallways, all were the same, doors were slightly smaller than the hallways.

Went to a Naval Shipyard, had rectangular square of ~3 inch armor plate, cut to the size of the hallways less 2 inches on each side, had wheels installed on the lower part. Handles at large Troll level, and a second set at Dwarf height, each set of handles had a dual set of triggers for claymore charges on the front part of the "Shield".

One we entered, troll grabbed his set of handles, dwarf grabbed his set of handles, then charged down the hallway. grinbig.gif Sec Guards fire could not penetrate "Shield" it also provided full cover for Troll, Dwarf and rest of party. 500+ pounds of armor plated "Shield" being driven/pushed by a Very Large Troll and large Dwarf, meeting trapped Sec forces, messy to say the least.

Our Team met the challenge in a way the GM did not foresee, at the end used the "Shield" to batter down the last door where the evil guy was, Troll fell down on top of Shield, Dwarf ran over Troll's back to use his large axe on Bad Guy. Bad Guy was surprised to say the least. Dwarf killed him before he got any spells off.

GM made sure we did not get out with "Shield" or let us ever build another. grinbig.gif

WMS
CircuitBoyBlue
The last campaign I was in started off really gritty, and my character had to go a few sessions before he'd saved up enough money for a gun. So before that happened, he'd stolen a some packets of hot sauce from a fast food joint. Later in the evening, when the Star was harrassing us, this stupid pig got some Fire in his eye, and we cheesed (one of the other characters got his gun, too). After that, it was kind of a running gag whenever our characters were eating. The GM would ask "Ok, CircuitBoy, how spicy do you like your food?" and I'd reply "Spicy enough to give a cop +4 to his target number, if they have it." Eventually, it turned into CircuitBoy eating primarily Ork cuisine.
Stahlseele
i just found my ganger-troll again . . he used his bealt and his vest as weapons . . his belt consisted of approximatly 2meters of woven leather and his vest was adorned with 2m of chain that looked like decorative stuff but actually was a Chain-whip held onto the vest by some hooks . . and in the pokets he had one handle, one ball and one sickle so he could use it as a modular kusarigama or however that thing is spelled . . and i think he had his tusks and horns replaced with artificial ones that were not retractable but looked like the natural things, so he was basically allways armed and had his weapons out in the open and nobody was the wiser *g*
hobgoblin
QUOTE (hermit @ Apr 3 2008, 10:19 PM) *
WW1. It's in "Everything Quiet ont he Western Front", that novel."

quite possible, but i could have sworn that said spade was still a part of the standard gear in ww2. and tricks like that never die...

but i stand corrected anyways smile.gif
Spike
I could point out that the Spetznatz still train with their entreching tools over, say, bayonets for armed CQB. Certainly makes sense from a logistics standpoint. I mean if they are goign to carry a shovel that is a good weapon anyway, why bother to give them knives?
Chrysalis
You know I hear about the magical entrenching tool in RPGs. Specifically, the dangerous entrenching tool that is used by the Soviet Spetznaz to kill sentries at 20 yards.

While the entrenching tool is a fantastic weapon when sharpened, and used by the Germans, Finns, and Russians to kill.

I still would like to see some actual documentation about its commonality as a weapon.

-Chrysalis
Spike
I suppose it could be used to kill at 20 yards, but then we're talking a 'brett favre' arm then...

Like any other CQB training, its a case of last resort. I do expect that for those trained its a bit more likely to see use than, say, Bayonet Drills (which I KNOW the army still teaches...)

I'll check my 'Bear goes over the mountain' and see if any mention is made of its use in afghanistan (not holding my breath).

To bad you didn't ask for documentation that the Spetznatz practice their hand to hand techniques on bound prisoners. That I HAVE seen actual documentation on (including photos of training in progress... ouch.)

Its a weapon of last resort, just a bit more sensible than the bayonet in today's militaries.
hobgoblin
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Entrenching_tool

one finds the strangest things on wikipedia. still, take it for what its worth...
b1ffov3rfl0w
QUOTE (WearzManySkins @ Apr 3 2008, 04:41 PM) *
GM made sure we did not get out with "Shield" or let us ever build another. grinbig.gif

WMS

Really, the fact that none of those security guys had any sort of grenades, gas or otherwise, is kind of odd. Or that gas vents weren't pumping in neurostun-V or whatver it was in those days.
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Dumpshock Forums © 2001-2012