Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Story / strategy idea - how do you deal with a child mage?
Dumpshock Forums > Discussion > Shadowrun
Pages: 1, 2
HentaiZonga
How do a group of adult shadowrunners deal with an ultra-powerful Awakened child prodigy, without getting "wished into the cornfield"?
DocTaotsu
Drugs, child size mage mask/manacles (availible where ever your city buys it's child protectice services), (shock)boot to the head.

AZ-120 stun batons, neurostun gas, narcoject autoinjectors have merit too.

If you need to talk to him, you have mind probe and influence. Supplemented of course by liberal applications of pharmaceutical "assistance".

I hope you didn't mean what are the "Nice" options for dealing with a prepubescent killing machine who can cook me alive during a medium sized temper tantrum. Which is what I hear when someone describes a child as a "Ultra-powerful awakened child prodigy". If a musical child prodigy can play in a major symphony than a magical child prodigy regularly summons force 4 or better spirits as playthings.
Muspellsheimr
Kill it.

Of course, the vast majority of my characters follow a slightly non-standard moral code similar to my own...
DocTaotsu
Bah... I guess you don't have an overwhelming affection for getting paid. You know how much a kid like this is worth?
Muspellsheimr
That is something to consider.
Cthulhudreams
Maximum Metahuman Magic prior to initation: 6

Force 4 Manastatic: Renders someone with magic 6 completely unable to cast spells and summon spirits.

Have applied the one shot nut punch to any magical threat, I'd hose down the area with stick and shock.

Kid is unlikely to have initiated, but if he has well then sod, but seriously he can cast a force 2 spell at me by overcasting. I'm not fussed and will indeed counterspell that.
Velocity219e
QUOTE (Cthulhudreams @ Apr 14 2008, 07:51 AM) *
Maximum Metahuman Magic prior to initation: 6

Force 4 Manastatic: Renders someone with magic 6 completely unable to cast spells and summon spirits.

Have applied the one shot nut punch to any magical threat, I'd hose down the area with stick and shock.

Kid is unlikely to have initiated, but if he has well then sod, but seriously he can cast a force 2 spell at me by overcasting. I'm not fussed and will indeed counterspell that.

Although this gets my 'sensible' vote I would seriously consider 'kill it with fire' or tranquilise it from the longest range I could organise and then blindfold it.

in all fairness its pretty hard to say exactly what a supergenius magical small child would know how to do, if he's capable of intuitive casting of offensive spells or summoning combat capable spirits as playthings its not unreasonable that it has also tapped deeper sources of magic in the form of initiation too... I wonder if it would take wailing like a spoiled brat as a Geas ...

I WANT MY TEDDY *STOMP STOMP STOMP* (Enter Earth elemental) Teddy! (cuddles Earth elemental)
DocTaotsu
I revise my original assessment. Manastatic first, the rest can wait.

What does mana static do to astrally projecting people?
HentaiZonga
Grah! Damn kid was already in the middle of a level 4 Domain, aspected to whatever weird intuitive brand of magic he was doing. (One of the researchers who called us in failed to mention this point upon hiring us, but upon further interrogation, he theorized that the background count might have Awakened the kid early). Apparently, the kid *is* Initiated - at least, he used our rigger's favorite recon drone that we were spying on him with as a sympathetic link (NOT a pretty outcome). He also apparently has some sort of Mob Mood / Mob Mind spell and a Detect Person spell that works out to a really, really long distance. Anyone nearby who can see him, or who thinks about him, he starts messing with their minds.

On the plus side, we're in a pretty sweet spot if we can pull this off. We sat down with the Johnson and explained precisely the grip we have on his balls: either he gives us all the information he has, a shitload of up-front cash, and a promise to pay us ten times the insult he offered us before we knew what he was getting us into, or we go right to the media and let them fight with twenty other megacorps over who gets to extract this kid.

Hot damn, I can almost smell the exhaust of my new Appaloosa.
Malicant
Oukay, you're pretty much in houserule country, so every advice you get here has a good chance to not work at all. Good luck and try to pry from your GM wad he has in mind you do to stop that kid. When he is bending and breaking the concepts of magic in SR to such an extent, he sure has something special in mind how to get out of this mess.
suppenhuhn
Shell the area with neurostun artillery then put on mob suit and get the kid biggrin.gif

then pour fuel over it and apply match
O'Donnell Heir
Self initiation is pretty much the order of the day around here, and attunement seems par for the course on someone who's had their awakening triggered by the background count (kinda like a spike baby, the extra mana flow awakens them early). Yeah seems like it sucks for the most part, but a party overview would help a lot to giving advice. A tough, cyber'd troll helps a bit if you're trying to make it messy, but removing the target from the area seems best. Take away the background count that's boosting the magic (might explain the major boost in the magic signal and range for the GM). Disrupting the background count also works, but takes time you most likely don't have.

Seems the kid knows what it's doing, so there may be a power behind the throne as it were. Be wary, last thing any party needs is a tussle with an insect spirit, toxic, or nasty, unwanted surprise. If he's doing self powered ritual magic, be especially wary. This kid ain't a prodegy, he's a pro. If worse comes to worse, have a hacker/rigger hack a car and just hit the kid with it as he crosses the street. Chances are the kid will still live as long as you don't just gun it. Then bag in like your a med team, and get away with the corn child.
Cthulhudreams
Mana static's background count should override the domain. As he's initated, hope that your mage has edge 5, and can cast a force 6 mana static - which will completely shut down the kid unless he is a grade 4 initate with magic 10. If he has 4 grades of initation and magic 10, punch your DM in the face and overcast mana static. Pump that bitch up as far a syou can without actually dying. Each point of force negates two points of magic
Stahlseele
since when does magic work on people who can see the mage?
doesn't magic work only on people THE MAGE CAN SEE? @.@
Malicant
You're absolutly right.

But since the kid seems to be using speed ritual magic, it does not really matter.
DocTaotsu
Sick some FAB on him...

And my question would be, how has the massive mana spike/background count and retardedly powerful kiddie mage escape having an astral shit storm visited upon him? Is he in the middle of nowhere?
Lionhearted

And my question would be, how has the massive mana spike/background count and retardedly powerful kiddie mage escape having an astral shit storm visited upon him? Is he in the middle of nowhere?

Simple, His GM pushed the "I believe railroad plot" button
Chibu
Have you tried a sniper rifle? Those kill mages. Neurogas works well too ^-^
DocTaotsu
I think the GM's players are the ones that need to punch the "I Believe!" button. But you're right the GM certainly sounds like he's got this one firmly on tracks.

CanRay
All this death and violence!

First, does the group actually need to KILL said child?

No?

OK. What does every kid want? Get his a Game-Station-Transportable-DS (Now with Skinlink Simsense!) with a drekload of games. 1000 nuyen.gif and there you go, kid will be distracted for hours.
Malicant
QUOTE (Chibu @ Apr 14 2008, 01:47 PM) *
Have you tried a sniper rifle? Those kill mages. Neurogas works well too ^-^

I wanted to make such a suggestion, but then I realized the kid can mindrape the shooter before he pulls the trigger, since he is a) seeing the kid and b) thinking of him.

Yeah. Sometimes it is a good idea to stick to the metaphysics of a game.
DocTaotsu
Actually, get someone to summon you a level 6+ task spirit of childcare. When Ultra Nanny manifests you're good to go. Sure he could banish said spirit but it's Ultra Nanny! She'll be rolling Yahtzee to give him exactly what he needs/wants without him even knowing it.

Than snipe/neurostun/shockprod/orbital strike him into the party submission position.
CanRay
"A spoonful of sugar makes the Thor Shot go down, makes the Thor Shot go down, makes the Thor Shot go down..."
Shiloh
QUOTE (HentaiZonga @ Apr 14 2008, 08:56 AM) *
He also apparently has some sort of Mob Mood / Mob Mind spell and a Detect Person spell that works out to a really, really long distance. Anyone nearby who can see him, or who thinks about him, he starts messing with their minds.

Hm? How. Needs to be able to see them *from the same plane*. Or is it an AE? I think the kid still needs to be able to see the targets. A superstealthy Mundane sniper should be pretty safe. Or blanket the area where the kid is with smoke (not the IR kind) and have the sammies and drones hose the place down using Thermo to target.

Your ref is bending the rules to get the effect they want. You will probably find he handwaves past any impediments and you have to legwork your way to finding the child's "one weakness".
Blade
QUOTE (DocTaotsu @ Apr 14 2008, 12:09 PM) *
Sick some FAB on him...

That's what I used to think before actually reading the FAB's rules. It's totally useless except as an astral marker: strain1 does just that, strain 2 also slows the astral form down to very fast instead of super fast and strain 3 can kill a sick baby awakened mouse after 2 weeks or something (exagerating a bit here, but it still takes far too long to be of any use).
Malicant
Use a Manabarrier to protect yourself from his spells. Counterspelling might be useful, too. Then proceed to killing/incapacitating from long range, if possible from outside the background count.
Aaron
It's pretty obvious that force isn't going to fly with this kid. It'd be a shame if you were unable to out-think or out-negotiate a child (preferably by email).

CanRay
Hey, Game-Station-Transportable! It'll work, I tell you!

Or spraypaint "Free Puppies" on the side of the Ares Roadmaster, and park it by the side of the Playground where the Mage Kid is!
O'Donnell Heir
Hacker meets car. Car meets kid. Kid meets pavement. Researchers meet kid.
Malicant
You forgot "car meets kid's new anti car spell that defies SR magic rules". rotfl.gif
Jaid
i agree with the videogame idea, but i would add in a caveat that once he's in the (simsense) game, you should immediately proceed to blackout him until he's unconscious. since you personally are not seeing him, he can't detect your thoughts. unless your GM is just being a jerk, of course.
masterofm
10 Drones with conceil, scopes, and stick and shock rounds. If they all aim and fire at the same time, while preprogrammed to not to accept any incoming transmissions (and then to proceed after wailing on the kid to head to an area that could potentially be another ambush point?) Also another drone above the boy could also just drop like 5 nerostun grenades from a very high distance. Oh yeah and if your GM tries to pull that the kid has detect enemies bullcracky you can then politely tell him that YOU CAN'T USE DETECT ENEMIES TO DETECT DRONES!

If this doesn't work start looking for the freight train of doom...
HentaiZonga
Perhaps I should rephrase: The drone in question got too close to the kid, and was picked up mundanely. He did, in fact, use full-on ritual magic (taking about a minute) to geek our rigger, but due to a combination of the background count and how 'weird' his method of magic looks, we weren't able to tell what he was doing until the rigger turned inside-out. (Admittedly, there *were* clues).

What we finally wound up doing, was overwhelming the kid's "detect enemies" sense by sending a good ol' torch-and-pitchfork mob at him, then grabbed him while he was weakened, drugged him to hell, and hauled him back to the researchers.

Which has pissed off the rather nasty free spirit that was apparently responsible for this whole situation in the first place.
masterofm
Was the drone armed? Did the character want to play another character? If a flyspy flew by would you just kill the person who is using it? Seems very very very.... um... very shady.
Tabula Rasa
I'm not sure if this has been suggested before or not but since he can mess with you if you can see him, buy a bunch of disposable artilary pieces and fire a barrage of indirect fire at his location. You can do that withuot seeing him as long as you have a location lock on him.

Truth be told though, if a GM is putting out this sort of NPC to mess with you, they rarely let an "easy" tactic work. Typically they will expect you to go in there and enjoy a big badass fight. Don't know your GM personally though, I suggest you just use his past tendancies against him. Then again, when you make NPCs that break the rules, nothing says you can't just whip another ability out to counter the PCs and say he had it all along.
Jaid
not to mention the fact that ritual sorcery takes a minimum of 1 hour.

[edit] so i hope you sold this kid for an obscenely large amount of money, because seriously he can do things that are just plain impossible [/edit]
HentaiZonga
QUOTE (masterofm @ Apr 14 2008, 10:15 PM) *
Was the drone armed? Did the character want to play another character? If a flyspy flew by would you just kill the person who is using it? Seems very very very.... um... very shady.

Well, the rigger had fallen into NPC status, as the player hadn't shown up to play his character in *ages* - so this was a way to 'write him off', as it were. But yeah, we were all a bit weirded out by it.
masterofm
Note to what Jaid said and know that your GM hit you with a bullet train. My advice is sigh, expect more of this, and move on from there.
Malicant
QUOTE (Jaid @ Apr 14 2008, 11:22 PM) *
not to mention the fact that ritual sorcery takes a minimum of 1 hour.

[edit] so i hope you sold this kid for an obscenely large amount of money, because seriously he can do things that are just plain impossible [/edit]

QFT
O'Donnell Heir
There wasn't nearly enough hitting people with cars in that plan.
Cabral
Emotitoy C12 squadron.
Plus a perimeter of drones with AV-loaded sniper rifles controlled in captain's chair mode.

And most importantly ... stand in the cornfield so when you get wished there, you can keep lining up your shot.

Then slap patch the kid with the awakened drug that makes you astrally perceive and strap him into a semi-ballistic.
KarmaInferno
Drown the building with immobilizing air-breathable foam, laced with a sedative?

Ignore the kid and go get another job.
HentaiZonga
QUOTE (Fortune @ Apr 15 2008, 12:41 AM) *
Ignore the kid and go get another job.

Would that we had chosen that route frown.gif Unfortunately, having acquired the kid, it appears that the kid was only half of the story - now we have to deal with some sort of nasty toxic spirit that's REALLY pissed about having its play-toy / future emissary taken away from it.
fool
find a gm who doesn't use quite so much fiat, and more rules.
Fortune
Trade the kid to the Toxic Spirit for future considerations. wink.gif
Jaid
QUOTE (HentaiZonga @ Apr 14 2008, 09:03 PM) *
Would that we had chosen that route frown.gif Unfortunately, having acquired the kid, it appears that the kid was only half of the story - now we have to deal with some sort of nasty toxic spirit that's REALLY pissed about having its play-toy / future emissary taken away from it.

did we mention background count yet? nothing makes a spirit's day take a quick trip down the crapper like mana static.

(are you starting to understand *why* mana static is on everyone's top 5 list now?)
HentaiZonga
QUOTE (Jaid @ Apr 15 2008, 01:24 AM) *
did we mention background count yet? nothing makes a spirit's day take a quick trip down the crapper like mana static.

(are you starting to understand *why* mana static is on everyone's top 5 list now?)

I am definitely going to have to learn this spell. wink.gif

Also - according to the GM, everything is on-the-level rules wise. He says "something weird is going on here, but nothing that hasn't been mentioned somewhere in an SR sourcebook".
Jaid
QUOTE (HentaiZonga @ Apr 14 2008, 10:06 PM) *
I am definitely going to have to learn this spell. wink.gif

Also - according to the GM, everything is on-the-level rules wise. He says "something weird is going on here, but nothing that hasn't been mentioned somewhere in an SR sourcebook".

that's funny, i coulda swore that tarantula had to jump through all kinds of hoops to get his ritual magic down to taking only one hour to cast so it couldn't be noticed before the great dragon got nuked by a ridiculously powerful elemental combat spell.
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Dumpshock Forums © 2001-2012