Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: smoking and single runner
Dumpshock Forums > Discussion > Shadowrun
Pages: 1, 2
hermit
Or maybe, just maybe, they should remember they're guests and act with the according politeness. Smoking on an open window isn't too much to ask, is it?
Daddy's Little Ninja
Even before I had a child, we did not allow smoking in our house. If the smell gets into the drapes or carpet it would linger long after the guests had left.
paws2sky
QUOTE (hermit @ Apr 17 2008, 08:38 AM) *
Or maybe, just maybe, they should remember they're guests and act with the according politeness. Smoking on an open window isn't too much to ask, is it?

It is in my house.

Of course, my friends and - friends of friends who've never been over before - have always been polite enough to ask, "where can we smoke?" before lighting up.

I also don't allow smoking in my car, for what its worth.
hermit
Well, it it's in a smoker's place, they gotta live with it, because there, they're guests too.
Fortune
It is kind of curious, being the 'hot topic' that it is, that this really hasn't been much of a problem for me. Even when throwing non-smokers into the mix, nobody has ever complained or been bitchy or put out by either side.
Spike
It hasn't come up recently, but it just occured to me that I could not actually game at a smoker's house. I mean, I'd go, and sit and try to game, but I don't think I could stay an entire session even if no one lit up during the game.

My GF's grandma smokes and I can't abide being there, because of the smell and how it tears me up, for more than an hour. Which is odd, because I grew up in a smoking household. Hell, I've smoked before, in my 'rebellious youth'...

But after three or four hours I'd barely be able to see my dice, not to mention the jittery irritability that comes from that 'itch you can't scratch' sensation it gives me.

God forbid anyone (multiple anyones...) actually lit up at the table. I would just have to leave, right then. Some things are just too physically painful to ignore.
Critias
QUOTE (Fortune @ Apr 17 2008, 11:44 AM) *
It is kind of curious, being the 'hot topic' that it is, that this really hasn't been much of a problem for me. Even when throwing non-smokers into the mix, nobody has ever complained or been bitchy or put out by either side.

For some folks, secondhand smoke is a sore subject thanks to asthma, an allergy to such smoke, or (in one friend's case) both at the same time.

For me, even before I was asthmatic, I hated the smell. I folks were divorced and had split custody, and I spent half my time in a smoke free apartment and the other half in a smoker's apartment. Even as a child, I could tell an absolutely huge difference between the two places, whether my mom was actively smoking right that second or not, her house stunk.
Fortune
QUOTE (Critias @ Apr 18 2008, 03:30 PM) *
For some folks, secondhand smoke is a sore subject thanks to asthma, an allergy to such smoke, or (in one friend's case) both at the same time.

Yeah, I get that. I am just saying that it hasn't really been a problem to date for me.
Critias
Well, yeah. I'm just sayin', some of us that have a strict no-smoking policy aren't doing it 'cause we're jerks and we hate to see anyone else enjoying themselves (we are, but that's besides the point), or because we're big fans of anyone telling anyone else what to do -- we don't allow smoking in our homes 'cause it'll halfway-kill us. smile.gif
Cantankerous
I'm a former smoker (quit on December31,1999) who's been smoke free ever since I threw away my last three packs, but once upon a time...

Yeah, we all smoked...like bloody chimneys in my longest running old group. There were eight of us at one point, usually at least five of us and we could make the place look like a two alarm fire had broken out inside. Then we got a new addition to the group, a girl and her boy friend who were both adamant non smokers and we ALL stopped from the first with smoking at the table. We'd usually head outside once every few hours on the long week end sessions and maybe once a night on the Thursday night sessions, but almost immediately I begin to clue in on how much better I, the three pack a day Camel filterless smoker, liked it that way. *lol* Live and learn.

Isshia
ArkonC
We just don't allow non-smokers in our group...
Bunch of whiney little maggots!

(Actually, we do have 1 non smoker in the group, but we all blow our smoke at him so his "fresh air smell" doesn't bother us...)
CanRay
I grew up around three smokers, and in a city where the air would strip paint off cars if there was no wind for longer than three days.
Fortune
QUOTE (CanRay @ Apr 18 2008, 10:34 PM) *
I grew up around three smokers, and in a city where the air would strip paint off cars if there was no wind for longer than three days.

Sudbury?

The air's almost as bad in Hamilton, where I spent a lot of my youth.
CanRay
QUOTE (Fortune @ Apr 18 2008, 11:06 AM) *
Sudbury?

Sudbury.

"We repair fallout paint damage" is on almost every body shop and car garage in the city. nyahnyah.gif
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Dumpshock Forums © 2001-2012