Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: smoking and single runner
Dumpshock Forums > Discussion > Shadowrun
Pages: 1, 2
Snow_Fox
In a world with cloned organs and cyber ware you might be able to smoke cigarettes without the problems of lung damage and it does have the 'cool' look. Robert Parker once wrote a' gain for good health was a loss for cool gestures"
but there is the smell and light that might be a problem on a run.

So do you have characters who smoke? If so is it because you do in real life?

Does the GM limit you because of the smell on the clothes?

this was inspired today when leqaving work. I stopped in the ladies room and as I was leaving a woman came in, well groomed and dressed but stinking of tobacco. I smelled her before I saw her. i thought at the time "She'd never sneak up on me in the dark smelling like that."
CanRay
A number of Military Fiction I read often remarks about smoking and how bad it is, particularily the smell, and how it affects your own.

Not to mention the fact that the embers of a cigarette can be seen for a looooooooooooooooong distance in the dark. Especially in a place with no obstructions like the desert. Perfect place to aim a sniping point at.

As for that, in a city, it's less of an issue. The stench of a city is pretty major, and full of a variety of things that mask all but the strongest smelling smoke unless you're *RIGHT* up close.

I'd give Charisma negatives to a non-smoker getting close to a smoker, but that's about it.
Fortune
I just figure that by 2070, cigarettes come in a wide variety of pleasant, non-offensive flavors and odors.
sunnyside
I offer "doesn't smell" options as well as the occasional trip to the street doc.

I don't discourage smoking in characters and would give as many bonuses to interaction rolls as negatives. I tend not to discourage things that diverge from them being simple flavorless muchkins.
sunnyside
I offer "doesn't smell" options as well as the occasional trip to the street doc.

I don't discourage smoking in characters and would give as many bonuses to interaction rolls as negatives. I tend not to discourage things that diverge from them being simple flavorless muchkins.
Therumancer
Well honestly given the backround for the game I'd think The Tabacco industry would probably have taken a major hit given a lot of what was going on, relinquishing the lands where the Tabacco is grown back to "native" peoples, and of course the bad feelings on both sides limiting trade to an extent.

See real food is very rare outside of the Reservations and Elven lands, to the point where in novels characters even comment on how the real thing tastes funny (as strange as that might seem). It's also very expensive, and I'd imagine a lot of this is specifically to prevent the Reservations/Elves from getting their fingers too tightly around people by controlling the food.

Thus I'd imagine that Tabacco outside of these areas where it is grown is pretty rare. Though there are probably "synthetic" smoking equivilents.

However that said, and given the gap that would have taken place in the idustry, I'd imagine Smoking isn't the common vice that it is now. Having been replaced by things like chips (legal and safe, or not) and various other recreational drugs.

Thus, all of the problems of mercenaries smoking aside, I'd say it would be unusual, and might carry with it a political stigma of sorts. After all by smoking your basically buying Tobacco from the Indians or Elves (who are pretty much the only ones who I can see growing it unless I grossly misunderstand things, it just seems unlikely otherwise), and probably paying up the Wazoo for it.

Also with what I'm guessing is a stranglehold on the Tabacco, I'd also imagine the Indian Traditionalists would be against the "white" traditions of Cigaretts, and support the idea of pipe smoking, and production would largely reflect this. Meaning that most Cigarettes would probably come from the Elves and would largely exist largely for purposes of "style" and umm... heh, might actually be part of being an "Elf Poseur" and get ones butt kicked by either elves, or people who scream "race traitor". >:)

Just my thoughts.

>>>----Therumancer--->

Snow_Fox
I think the vast amount of profit to be made from smokes would keep them in business. look at the number of grain fields given over to fuel production now? missed it? last week there were food riots in Egypt because of the price of rice shooting up. India has stoipped exporting rice to ensure they have neough food.

The glowing ember is the source of 'three in a row, bad luck' the idea was in war a lit match might be handed between people to light up smokes but as it was lit long enough to light 3 cigarettes, a sniper would have time to lock on and shoot.

I'll accept they lose the health issues, because you can replace the lungs you've rotted out but most smokers seem oblivious to the smell that clings to their clothes. I doubt they'd notice. my brother smoked in college. We went to the same school and after I graduated, i went back to visit one weekend. He lent me his room while he stayed with his g/f. The room itself didn't smell of smoke but when i left, after only 2 days, the wreak clung to my clothes and hair-bleah! (his wife borke him of the habbit.)
O'Donnell Heir
QUOTE (CanRay @ Apr 14 2008, 08:42 PM) *
A number of Military Fiction I read often remarks about smoking and how bad it is, particularily the smell, and how it affects your own.

Must not be good military fiction. Most military's in the world and in history (well since tobacco was smoked at least) give/gave cigarettes to soldiers because they keep you alert when on duty (similar to caffeine ((caffeine is also more addicting than nicotine, and easier to get your hands on too!))). It also serves as a form of battlefield currency during long wars (Korea, WW1, WW2, Vietnam, US civil war). The immediate health effects that are supposed to come about (shortness of breath, ect) really vary from person to person. I know and run with some people who can do a full mile sprint while smoking.

I'm not for the tobacco companies, I just tend to not believe the hype from commercials and publications that either overreach the effects of drugs or make them up (along with numbers and studies that go with them).
toturi
QUOTE (Snow_Fox @ Apr 15 2008, 09:36 AM) *
this was inspired today when leqaving work. I stopped in the ladies room and as I was leaving a woman came in, well groomed and dressed but stinking of tobacco. I smelled her before I saw her. i thought at the time "She'd never sneak up on me in the dark smelling like that."

Arsenal has cigarettes that do the opposite. Now you should smoke to sneak up on people.
Scent-masking Cigarette p64 Arsenal.
Fix-it
QUOTE (Therumancer @ Apr 14 2008, 08:10 PM) *

Good Post. I think synthetic cancer sticks would be very widespread, and you forgot to mention hydroponics, which are in widespread use in SR. or should be.
Prospero
QUOTE (Therumancer @ Apr 15 2008, 02:10 AM) *
Well honestly given the backround for the game I'd think The Tabacco industry would probably have taken a major hit given a lot of what was going on, relinquishing the lands where the Tabacco is grown back to "native" peoples, and of course the bad feelings on both sides limiting trade to an extent.

See real food is very rare outside of the Reservations and Elven lands, to the point where in novels characters even comment on how the real thing tastes funny (as strange as that might seem). It's also very expensive, and I'd imagine a lot of this is specifically to prevent the Reservations/Elves from getting their fingers too tightly around people by controlling the food.

Thus I'd imagine that Tabacco outside of these areas where it is grown is pretty rare. Though there are probably "synthetic" smoking equivilents.

However that said, and given the gap that would have taken place in the idustry, I'd imagine Smoking isn't the common vice that it is now. Having been replaced by things like chips (legal and safe, or not) and various other recreational drugs.

Thus, all of the problems of mercenaries smoking aside, I'd say it would be unusual, and might carry with it a political stigma of sorts. After all by smoking your basically buying Tobacco from the Indians or Elves (who are pretty much the only ones who I can see growing it unless I grossly misunderstand things, it just seems unlikely otherwise), and probably paying up the Wazoo for it.

Also with what I'm guessing is a stranglehold on the Tabacco, I'd also imagine the Indian Traditionalists would be against the "white" traditions of Cigaretts, and support the idea of pipe smoking, and production would largely reflect this. Meaning that most Cigarettes would probably come from the Elves and would largely exist largely for purposes of "style" and umm... heh, might actually be part of being an "Elf Poseur" and get ones butt kicked by either elves, or people who scream "race traitor". >:)

Just my thoughts.

>>>----Therumancer--->

My guess is that tobacco is probably synthetic and/or significantly not grown on Indian/Elven lands. My guess is that a lot of it is grown in other places - Turkey, Afghanistan, SE Asia, parts of what used to be China... I doubt that there is much of a stigma with it in terms of it being 'what them injuns use'.

Now, it probably works the other way, though - there was a blurb I remember in SoNA about Sioux citizens having very specific ideas about smoking and linking tabacco to religious practices (at least some tribes did). So smokers might not be fondly looked upon in the Sioux.

Given that SR gets at least some of it's 'feel' from distopian, even noir, roots, and there was lots and lots of smoking in noir (and lots of good cyberpunk) I don't give any negatives for smoking. I've had 1 character that smoked, actually, but he was mostly a 'social smoker' - only lit up at a party/to celebrate after a run, stuff like that.
O'Donnell Heir
When it comes to areas where tobacco can be planted in America, think southern states. Generally these were the areas that originally grew the product in the Americas (also was a good part in the split economy that led to the civil war). So I'd see the CAS as having a good holding, especially with them now holding parts of Mexico, giving them plenty of room to grow the stuff.
ElFenrir
Alot of my character smoke. Some regular ciggarettes, some the clove ciggarettes(those are more occational), and i've made a couple cigar smokers before too.

Hell, i had a shaman and a houngan who both smoked wacky tabbacky quite regularly. Well, the first did someitmes, the second, more than sometimes. :)We're pretty open in our games; i've had characters with mild stim habits and the like.

But yeah, i smoke(ciggs) in real life, might have something to do with it. But i've played non smoking characters too. it's whatever happens to fit the character at the time.
ornot
IIRC nicotine addiction is not covered by the addict quality by RAW. Consequently if a player specified their character was a smoker I don't think I'd impose any penalties.

As an aside, the brilliant satirical writer Saki was shot in WW1 because one of the men in his patrol smoking attracted the attention of a sniper. His last words were rather prophetically "put that light out".
Cabral
QUOTE (Therumancer @ Apr 14 2008, 09:10 PM) *

Of the big tobacco states (by acreage, how many are NAN states?

North Carolina
Kentucky
Tennesee
South Carolina
Virginia
Georgia
Ohio
Indiana
Pennsylvania
Maryland
Florida
West Virginia

I believe those are all UCAS/CAS states. The majority of the tobacco is grown (in the US) the first two states (assuming the farms counted were representative samples.
paws2sky
I don't smoke (never have, except the occassional cigar). I've gamed with smokers, but they've always been banished outside when they wanted to light up. And most of the smokers I know are into clove cigarettes, which are less offensive to the nose, IMO.

Regular cigarettes really disgust me. Camel and Marlboro, in particular, make me choke. I used to have a co-worker who sat beside me who took about ten smoke breaks a day (I kid you not). Frequently, when she came back in, I had to get up and leave my desk for a few minutes while the cloud of cigarette funk dispersed. Happily, she quit a couple months ago. Nice woman, if somewhat dramatic when it came to her kids, but I just couldn't stand being around her because of the cigarette funk.

I've had probably two or three SR characters who smoked. Why they smoked varied. Usually, I thought the cigarette completed their look or I just thought they'd be smokers. One person just had an addictive personality.

There was only one run that I can think of that it was a problem. We were somewhere out in the wilds of the PCC, trying to shadow a group of Atlzaner terrorists to find out where their hidden base of operation was. We knew they didn't have any thermographic gear, so we were worried about them spotting us that way, but it was open enough terrain that a cig ember would have been like a freakin' spotlight to their scouts/observers.

I suppose by 2070 there are AR and Simsense programs to stop quitting the real thing. Your AR cig might might give you a mild hit of euphoria for a few seconds when you take a drag off it, for instance. Just a thought...

That said, many of my characters drink (or do recreational drugs), sometimes heavily. See, with the notable exception of my Shark Shaman (who was a complete and total nut job), I've really never played a heartless sociopath. It seems to me that most people that do Shadowrunner stuff (which often involves murder) would have some pretty heavy things wieghing on their conscious. So, most of my character drink (or get stoned) to forget.
hermit
All of my characters smoke more or less strongly. One has cut back severely (because her partner asked for that, mainly), one is too stubborn to give up, and another does it because it's cool. Also, I have one who smokes out of habit, one who needs something to occupy his fingers with when being bored, and one who's just addicted. Those aren't characters I play anywhere near regularily.

There're no negatives for smoking in my games, though. Unless someone smart runs around with a lit cig in the dark, where snipers or sentry gun installations lurk, but that's just dumb and can be achieved via flash light too.

Me, I don't smoke regularily, but it's practical to be able to sometimes (like when having to spend hours on end in one room with smokers, or when looking to avoid smelling something). Also, yes, it's a nice enough way to spend time waiting. I hate the smell you get from it though, so I don't really smoke often. Also, I keep it low. One addiction is enough for me.

Smokers make good targets for snipers, at night. That was common practice in Western front trenches, for all I know.

Considering the religious importance of tobacco in NA shamanism, I think smoking is way more common in the NAN than it's in the white parts of America. shamanism isn't an organised religion like the monotheists' faiths usually are, but more of a personal and rather vague faith. Sioux traditionalists pretty much have to be chain smokers, for all I know - unless tobacco is a taboo item, of curse, but I wouldn't know that it was.

I think the vast amount of profit to be made from smokes would keep them in business. look at the number of grain fields given over to fuel production now? missed it? last week there were food riots in Egypt because of the price of rice shooting up. India has stoipped exporting rice to ensure they have neough food.

Actually, the real driving force behind food price rises is the rise to wealth for roughly one billion people in China and India, who now consume more/more on western (rather wasteful) lines. Of course, 'blame the West' does work better to direct peoples' anger into a direction the dictators and potentates in Third World countries are used to. This especially goes for mulim countries, like Egypt. Biofuels, while they do have a share in this, aren't the only, or even the most influential, factor there.
Daddy's Little Ninja
QUOTE (Cabral @ Apr 15 2008, 07:26 AM) *
Of the big tobacco states (by acreage, how many are NAN states?

North Carolina
Kentucky
Tennesee
South Carolina
Virginia
Georgia
Ohio
Indiana
Pennsylvania
Maryland
Florida
West Virginia

I believe those are all UCAS/CAS states. The majority of the tobacco is grown (in the US) the first two states (assuming the farms counted were representative samples.
None are NAN.

I do not smoke in RL and won't let people smoke in my home. I had one character who smoked but that was just so she could irritate people with the smoke and burn them with the embers.
Lionhearted
QUOTE (paws2sky @ Apr 15 2008, 08:03 AM) *
I don't smoke (never have, except the occassional cigar). I've gamed with smokers, but they've always been banished outside when they wanted to light up.

Now I dont quite know how it's done over there.. but here's it's considered good manners not to smoke while indoors.

now on topic, I would never create a character that smokes.. just for the "Cool looks" I generally look down at people that smokes for that very reason.. and thus far, I havent had one that did.. I feel fine to just light one IRL instead.
suppenhuhn
Some of the characters i played smoked, some others didn't i just think it's a trait and as it doesn't get you any free bp it shouldn't be a drawback to play a smoker normally. Just as if your char is female you normally won't get an automatic -1 str because irl the average woman is weaker than the average man.

/edit oh and you can hide the cigarette inside the rifle barrel while smoking, so it doesn't light up the area nyahnyah.gif
paws2sky
QUOTE (Lionhearted @ Apr 15 2008, 11:22 AM) *
Now I dont quite know how it's done over there.. but here's it's considered good manners not to smoke while indoors.

It totally depends on the location.

Where I live, there's an indoor smoking ban for basically anywhere that isn't a private home. No smoking in bars, hotels, businesses, busses/taxis, etc. Technically, you even have to be a certain distance from the doors of public buildings, but that's not really enforced.

As for private homes, it will vary from residence to residence. I don't know anyone at this point (even smokers) that will smoke in someone's home.

When my wife and I have parties or small get togethers, the smokers usually congregate on our front porch or driveway to light up.
O'Donnell Heir
We had someone in the recent campaign who transfered a character from Gurps, we gave him a minor addiction on the basis that he's a chain smoker (literally one right after the other, from waking to sleeping), giving him some non-essence based downsides to level it out. Considering he's our decker, there's not a terrible chance of him getting hit by sniper fire.
stevebugge
I personally don't smoke. But if I think it adds to the character I'll make them a smoker, drinker, or drug user. All of those can provide good roleplaying hooks.
CircuitBoyBlue
QUOTE (paws2sky @ Apr 15 2008, 02:13 PM) *
It totally depends on the location.

Where I live, there's an indoor smoking ban for basically anywhere that isn't a private home. No smoking in bars, hotels, businesses, busses/taxis, etc. Technically, you even have to be a certain distance from the doors of public buildings, but that's not really enforced.

As for private homes, it will vary from residence to residence. I don't know anyone at this point (even smokers) that will smoke in someone's home.

When my wife and I have parties or small get togethers, the smokers usually congregate on our front porch or driveway to light up.

If you're into it, drive around a little. Many of the little towns around central/southern Ohio don't enforce the ban, even when complaints are filed.

I tried to have a character that smoked cigarettes once, but he was a stickler about being "tactical" and wouldn't smoke while actually on a run. During the planning phase, we generally just spoke to each other, rather than describing what our characters were doing, because that would have been like "ok, I say to you '..." So the first time it came up was about 2/3 of the way through the campaign when our characters "hung out" together for the first time, and it still seemed forced, with the GM describing the restaraunt we were meeting at and me being like "I light up a cigarette!" Just felt contrived. Also, IRL, I was the only non-smoker in the group, and I was 15 while everyone else was around 18, and they all probably kind of felt like maybe they were corrupting a minor or something.

As for the games I've run, NPCs have always smoked either cheap Chinese cigarettes that they buy on the black market to avoid tariffs/taxes, or they smoke Imperial Filterless. I was originally going to post something about how a lot of people probably grow their own stuff in their basement because the tax issue would still be around, but now I'm not sure. I bet the biotech lobby would try to get rid of those taxes so that people will smoke more and need to grow more lungs. In Seattle there'd probably be tarriffs on tobacco from the CAS. So I don't know. I like the idea of people smoking in SR, because it lends to the gritty feel, especially if it's cheap stuff. Damn you people, now my group's going to think I'm going nuts because I'm going to be fixated on the issue of smoking at the next session!
JBlades
As a smoker IRL for many years, I'll throw in a few things I'm surprised haven't been mentioned here that might help add a little realism for you non-smokers.

-Smoking kills your sense of smell and taste... kills 'em dead. No, smokers can't smell the "funk" on themselves unless they shove their shirt into their own nose. It also strips a lot of subtle tastes from you, which has the side effect of sometimes causing them to over season food. Smokers like the hot sauce, and don't make good chefs.

-The effect of smoking on physical activity is gradual, and builds over long periods of time. It's not like you start smoking and suddenly can't run, it's more like over the first 5 years of smoking, you lose 5% of your cardio. This builds, however, and after 15 years you've lost 50%+, etc. When you quit, it comes back the same way, after a huge immediate increase which occurs in the first week or two.
Smokers who are in the process of quitting also generally tend to have a huge upswing in sex drive, which smoking also suppresses.

-Smoking represses the creation of chemicals that give you night vision, meaning that smokers stumble around in the dark more than non-smokers. This is on top of the effect holding a small flare 2 inches from your nose has on your immediate night vision.

-While smoking chemically has a depressive effect on your mood, it is a stimulant in the short term, and can be almost as effective as coffee for someone trying to stay up late.
hermit
Oh yeah, a player I play with regularily, himself a smoker has a character whose one Geas involves smoking weed once a day. Dopehead characters aren't too uncommon among my crowd anyway.
Fortune
I would never kick someone out of my house for smoking. I would not go back twice to a game at someone else's house if I were kicked outside to smoke.
hermit
With the people I know, asking smokers politely to smoke by an open window is a working compromise. Especially in a non-smoker's appartment.
CanRay
Depends on the reason for the Non-Smokers.

There are medication conditions that Cigarette Smoke causes problems with, and the Smoke LINGERS a lot longer than most smokers think.
hermit
Actually, finding the smell of cold smoke repulsive and not wanting it in their place is sufficient to me.
O'Donnell Heir
QUOTE (hermit @ Apr 15 2008, 04:04 PM) *
Oh yeah, a player I play with regularily, himself a smoker has a character whose one Geas involves smoking weed once a day. Dopehead characters aren't too uncommon among my crowd anyway.

Perhaps you should tell them that weed is only psychologically addictive (which has nothing to do with the weed itself, but rather is a form of escapism) and not physically addictive. Don't believe the media (They seem to think weed has the side effects of alcohol after all)
hermit
Well. So is Cocaine. Besides, a Geas is purely psychological anyway, isn't it?
counterveil
I usually GM, but when I play I usually play a character that smokes semi-regularly - probably because I do so as well. Just makes the character more familiar to me (and gives excuses to run into the stuffer shack so I can get ambushed by soykaf-exploding bullets nyahnyah.gif).

As for smoking IRL and how it works with gaming...Living in not-so-sunny NorCal, where the "State as Nanny" mindset is status quo, it's pretty much taboo to smoke indoors anywhere here - I've just gotten used to it, no biggie. None of my fellow gamers smokes (well, one does - and very rarely) so if I want to smoke I pop outside. Everyone plays, everyone wins.

Now if the gov pulls some shit telling me I can't smoke in my car (and I only do so when I'm alone in my car or when with others who all smoke) then that's where I draw the line and make for Montana nyahnyah.gif

Or maybe Italy. People are sexier there anyway.
WearzManySkins
I was a Pipe and Cigar Smoker for many, many years but quit in 1989.

I much preferred pipe smoke to cigarette smoke, my cigar smoke was lethal to any one not smoking a cigar. grinbig.gif No I did not smoke the cigars with newpaper as part of the mix either. I smoked the good expensive ones. grinbig.gif

If any of my characters smoke it will be pipes and or cigars. A good Balkan/Turkish Latakia Tobacco and Perique Tobacco blends. In my Shadowrun games Tobacco has awakened varieties, the Perique one especially. Any Pipes are of large freehand briers and meerschaum pipes(Calabashes being the main ones).

As for smokers in my house they go outside, or do not smoke.

WMS
hyzmarca
Three cigarettes together contain enough nicotine to kill an average adult human if ingested in their entirety. One cigar also contains enough nicotine to kill an average adult human. One cigarette or one third of a cigar can kill a small child.

So, if you've got a pack of cigarettes then you've got a perfectly legal poison capable of killing several people. Unfortunately, it is extremely difficult, to both trick someone into eating three cigarettes and make sure that he doesn't vomit them up before metabolizing them. Small children are easier. A few toddlers die from eating cigarettes every now and then. Adults aren't easy at all. But, you can extract the nicotine from the tobacco in the same way one extracts caffeine from tea leaves coffee beans. It would be difficult to convince someone to drink the resulting liquid without artificial flavoring and coloring, but it would also be injectable. There is, in fact, a very good assassin movie, Fulltime Killer, in which a flamboyant killer uses injected nicotine to take out a high-profile target.

Cigarettes also have many other uses. If you have the ability to see the infrared spectrum, such as trolls and dwarves and people with thermographic cybereyes, cigarette smoke can be used to scatter light from infrared laser beams, letting you see trip-lasers that might set off an alarm or a deathtrap. The smoke can always be used to set off smoke alarms, which would almost certainly activate fire suppression systems and cause a general panic as well as unlocking emergency exits. Cigarettes also make an effective interrogation tool, they can be Macgyvering into a time-delay fuse, you can use them to burn leaches off of your body, and they'll give you more time during the fight with Big Boss. In short, they are very useful even if you don't smoke them.
WearzManySkins
You get the nicotine out using a solution of Everclear alcohol, allow the Everclear to evaporate off abit till you get a paste. Then dissolve the paste into DMSO, apply the DMSO and nicotine solution to who ever you wish to have issues with living. dead.gif

Advantages of a well read youth, chemistry's unusual uses, and University of individuals of a different path in life. devil.gif

WMS
hermit
Cigarettes also have many other uses. If you have the ability to see the infrared spectrum, such as trolls and dwarves and people with thermographic cybereyes, cigarette smoke can be used to scatter light from infrared laser beams, letting you see trip-lasers that might set off an alarm or a deathtrap.

Not to mention they make a fine flashlight for the infrared seers. Of course, they would glow themselves enough to brighten up any place they're in for their IR vision, so that's propably a moot point. Reminds me: whoever plays a troll or dwarf with a fear of darkness phobia gets slapped by me severely.

and they'll give you more time during the fight with Big Boss

Whoa. Really? I always felt the time limit was rather short ... thought it nicely challenging though.

You get the nicotine out using a solution of Everclear alcohol, allow the Everclear to evaporate off abit till you get a paste. Then dissolve the paste into DMSO, apply the DMSO and nicotine solution to who ever you wish to have issues with living.

You do have to make sure the DMSO transports enough poison itno their body to kill them though, so you better condense that nicotine really tightly. You might also try to buy a family pack of troll-sized nicotine patches for trolls who want to give up smokuing and apply patch after patch to a suspended victim, or use cheap insecticides, which often use nicotine as their main component.
CanRay
I can't believe that noone's suggested the coolest part of smoking yet!

Shoot the gas tank, wait for the trickle of fuel to dribble down close to you, light up, and casually drop the cigarette into the flammable liquid to turn the entire car into one big Molotov Cocktail.

Just like in the John Woo movies.
hermit
Of course, this works ONLY in movies, not IRL. Depends on the level of cinematic in your game, I guess.
CanRay
*Sighs* Yeah, I know.

Dad's a Truck Driver, and he cringes when he watches movies where that happens.

Same way I do when watching Hacker movies, I guess.
hermit
Lots of people believe that, though. When I was at the gas station the other day, a girl spilled some gasoline onto the ground and her car and was all in tears because she had to go to an important meeting, but didn't want to explode with her car when starting the engine, since there was spilled gasoline around it ...
Critias
QUOTE (Fortune @ Apr 14 2008, 09:53 PM) *
I just figure that by 2070, cigarettes come in a wide variety of pleasant, non-offensive flavors and odors.

Yup.

My Triad Face, Billy, smokes mint-scented, tooth-whitening, cigarettes. He's sure cancer won't get the chance to kill him before his day job does, and it keeps his pearly whites both pearly and white, all while he gets to look cool by smoking. Win/win!
stevebugge
QUOTE (hermit @ Apr 16 2008, 06:13 AM) *
Of course, this works ONLY in movies, not IRL. Depends on the level of cinematic in your game, I guess.

I think they blew this one, as well as the fuel tracing back to the gas tank of a moving vehicle, completely apart on Mythbusters.
CanRay
QUOTE (Critias @ Apr 16 2008, 10:01 AM) *
My Triad Face, Billy, smokes mint-scented, tooth-whitening, cigarettes. He's sure cancer won't get the chance to kill him before his day job does, and it keeps his pearly whites both pearly and white, all while he gets to look cool by smoking. Win/win!

Bah, lungs are cheap, neh?
Kremlin KOA
QUOTE (Fortune @ Apr 16 2008, 05:20 AM) *
I would never kick someone out of my house for smoking. I would not go back twice to a game at someone else's house if I were kicked outside to smoke.

Wow, you would lose a few gaming circles round here. The place i last lived at, before now, had it in the fucking lease agreement that I must make smokers smoke outside
Others have similar problems
Fortune
Shrug. I have never really had a problem when it comes to smoking ... either mine or other people's. I've gamed in too many places to list over the past 30 years or so, among them universities, restaurants, clubs, private residences, office buildings, sports arenas, and everything in between, without hassle. Admittedly there are a lot of places that wouldn't allow it nowadays that didn't care 20 years ago, but then I just avoid those places now.
ornot
QUOTE (Kremlin KOA @ Apr 16 2008, 11:16 PM) *
Wow, you would lose a few gaming circles round here. The place i last lived at, before now, had it in the fucking lease agreement that I must make smokers smoke outside

My lease won't allow smoking indoors either. Seeing as I don't smoke, it's not an issue, but I do need to request that my players that are smokers go out to spark up.
hyzmarca
QUOTE (Kremlin KOA @ Apr 17 2008, 12:16 AM) *

Have you ever considered quietly describing your character's actions in your last successful game session to your landlord as if they were things that you have actually done in real life and then saying "Knowing this, you must ask yourself one question. Is it wise for you to evict me over such a minor infraction as a friend smoking? Do you think that doing so would be beneficial to your long-term health and well-being or do you think that it would it be disadvantageous to your continued livelihood? Personally, if our positions were reversed, I'd simply think that it isn't worth the risk. But, it's your life. You can do whatever the hell you want with it."?
Critias
Or, alternately, you could not sign a lease (and as such, not move in) to somewhere that you know disallows smoking.
WearzManySkins
Or alternately your gaming friends could quite smoking totally. sarcastic.gif

WMS
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Dumpshock Forums © 2001-2012