Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: The official C.A.S. Army rifle
Dumpshock Forums > Discussion > Shadowrun
Pages: 1, 2
Chodav
Remington Arms MA-7v_

Design features (all): Barrel reduction, bullpup configuration, weight reduction (8 levels).

Design features (v1 - non-combat arms soldiers): Integral foregrip, integral shock pads.

Design features (v2 - combat arms soldiers): As v1, with integral laser sight.

Design features (v3 - special operations soldiers): As v1, with integral rangefinder, integral smartgun-2, and detachable sound suppressor.

Modified assault rifle ranges: S (0 - 45 m), M (46 - 135 m), L (136 - 315 m), E (316 - 495 m).

Concealability: 6 (v1), 5 (v2), 5 (or 3 with sound suppressor) (v3)
Ammunition: 30 (clip)
Modes: SA/BF
Damage: 8M/11S
Weight (unloaded): 4.50 (v1), 4.75 (v2), 4.85 (or 5.35 with sound suppressor) (v3)
Availability: 6/36 hours (C.A.S.), 8/4 days (Noth America), 12/2 weeks (everywhere else)
Cost: 1340 (v1), 1840 (v2), 4250 (v3)
Street Index: 2 (C.A.S.), 3 (everywhere else)
Legality: 2-G
Recoil Compensation: 2

--------------------------------

What's my point? Well, for starters, everyone likes new toys to play with. Also, I like feedback. It usually makes it easier to slide things past the GM. biggrin.gif

To try and answer two obvious questions ahead of time, full auto is a waste of ammunition (in my and the U.S. military's opinion), and the loss in range is insignificant in light of the fact that the unaided human eye cannot discern a human-sized form at ranges beyond 300 meters (according to the U.S. military).
Utahraptor
You do know that Cannon Companion states that the Setyr-Aug CSL is the Cassie weapon?
Chodav
On what page? I just read the entry three times, and it's not there on page 23.
Luke Hardison
My 2 nuyen.gif ... bullpup config is unlikely to be used as a standard AR anywhere (from IRL perspective); because of it's inherent awkwardness bullpup rifles add roughly 20-25% to the training times to adaptation, because they are not "natural". Integral recoil compensation is likely, however. Then throw increased conceal and a folding stock to the SF models (to make them more like SMG's for urban clearing, etc) I'm not a believer in suppressors for AR's for soldiers, the only suppressors in use modernly are for SMG's, where their power isn't hampered as much by the sub-sonic rounds the suppressors require, and they benefit from the shorter configurations because the suppressors make up the difference on the fore end.

Can't think of anything else right now for a general issue AR. Remember, go cheap with the CAS. They have a LOT of boys to equip.
Austere Emancipator
QUOTE (Luke Hardison)
bullpup config is unlikely to be used as a standard AR anywhere (from IRL perspective); because of it's inherent awkwardness bullpup rifles add roughly 20-25% to the training times to adaptation, because they are not "natural".

Eh? I guess the Austrians, Australians, French, British, Chinese, and Singaporeans just plain disagree with you then.

I'm not a believer in suppressors for AR's for soldiers, the only suppressors in use modernly are for SMG's, where their power isn't hampered as much by the sub-sonic rounds the suppressors require, and they benefit from the shorter configurations because the suppressors make up the difference on the fore end.

Dunno if you knew this already, but I thought I might as well clarify. Suppressors do not require sub-sonic rounds. It is just that the supersonic bullet crack makes so much noise that a suppressor with them doesn't allow the shot to go unnoticed, but it may still hide the location of the shooter. Lots more stuff in this recent thread.

Extra-short carbines aren't that much longer than SMGs. Stock extended, the Colt Commando (which even Colt calls a SMG, apparently) is 10cm longer than the MP5s with collapsible stocks. Special operations forces use sound suppressors on assault rifles IRL, I can't see why not in the Shadowrun CAS army, especially when the base weapon is so incredibly small -- the same size as a Predator without the silencer.
Arethusa
There are a ridiculous amount of issues with this gun, but for starters, I'd like to point out that you just built a set of assault rifles no bigger than a modern day compact pistol.

Incidentally, the Predator is, in fact, less concealable than this thing. I think you need to rework your numbers and drop the flat out retarded CC gun creation rules.
Hero
Ya, I used the Cannon Companion FCG for a while and thought it was the best thing in the world, then I used Spudmans FCG and learned the errors of my ways. Here is a list of problems with your rifle.

1.) Way to concealable for a rifle.
2.) Dump integral accessories.
3.) Dump the internal recoil comp.

If you are going to have integral gear on it, I would have the integral stuff restricted to smartlinks, thats the only way to go with smart linked weapons. Laser sights are not all that good IMO, Id rather use a red dot sight, because they are cheaper and not restricted to a curtain range which laser sights are. And red dots can also be incorporated into scopes, so it makes them that much better.

Now if you want to make it so you can kit the thing out like hell, make it so it has something like a RIS or SIRS. Which would add two side mounts, and an additional top space, I would restrict the side and additional top space specific accessories like laser sights, tac lights, and the like. And if you wanted to take it a bit further you could have the barrel pre threaded, making external barrel attachments cheaper. Leave the kitting to the mission profile.
Ol' Scratch
Ya, I used the Cannon Companion FCG for a while and thought it was the best thing in the world, then I used Spudmans FCG and learned the errors of my ways. Here is a list of problems with it.

<snorts>

You can make far more obscene -- or at the very least, equally obscene -- weapons with Spudman's system than you can with the Cannon Companion.

The only thing you have to do is use common sense and self-restraint with both. In other words, just like with any other set of rules, it's the mentallity of the person using them and not the rules themselves.
Raygun
QUOTE (Chodav)
On what page?  I just read the entry three times, and it's not there on page 23.

I don't know about Cannon Companion, but the first thing the (ancient) Street Samurai Catalog says about the Steyr AUG-CSL is that it is "The assault rifle of the Confederated American States!"

QUOTE (Luke Hardison)
bullpup config is unlikely to be used as a standard AR anywhere (from IRL perspective); because of it's inherent awkwardness bullpup rifles add roughly 20-25% to the training times to adaptation, because they are not "natural".

Besides the fact that several militaries use bullpup rifles today, could you explain what you mean by "inherent awkwardness" and "not natural"? There are certainly advantages and disadvantges to using the bullpup configuration, but I don't think I'd use either of those expressions to describe their faults. Unless, that is, you're talking about someone who is left-handed using one, but even then, most bullpups can be configured for use by left-handers without tools. I also do not believe that it would generally take 20-25% more training time to teach someone to use such a rifle in comparison to a conventional rifle. In fact, I would bet that it takes less time to teach the average person to use a Steyr AUG than it does to use an M16A2.

I'm not a believer in suppressors for AR's for soldiers, the only suppressors in use modernly are for SMG's, where their power isn't hampered as much by the sub-sonic rounds the suppressors require, and they benefit from the shorter configurations because the suppressors make up the difference on the fore end.

I suppose you'd better tell that to the suppressor manufacturers, namely Knight's Armament, who makes the M4QD for SOPMOD rifle and the SR25QD for the MK11 MOD 0. You also might want to tell OPS, Inc., Advanced Armament, SWR, Gemtech, Sound Technology...

Supersonic bullet or not, suppressors offer enough advantages to the soldier to make their use practical on assault rifles. Of course there's no need for every infantryman in a military to have one, but special forces troops and snipers most certainly can benefit from them, if for no other reason than to protect their hearing.
Hero
Okay, should have been more specific with the reason I dislike the CC FCG. When designing a firearm I know that the ample use of logic and common sense makes very balanced and sense able firearm. I dislike that some weapons that you try to build that are based on RL weapons can't be made without bending the rules. And weapons come out way to expensive then they should be, I mean once I made a bare bone heavy pistol, in fact it was clone of an Ares Predator. And it can out 100-200Y more expensive, the way they have the formula to determine the costs is way jacked up.
Kagetenshi
Right. That's intentional, because the assumption is that you're not churning out mass-produced weapons, you're making prototypes that someone picked up or limited-production runs. If you want a mass-produced gun, you get the GM to bring the price back down.

~J
Birdy
QUOTE (Luke Hardison)
My 2 nuyen.gif ... bullpup config is unlikely to be used as a standard AR anywhere (from IRL perspective); because of it's inherent awkwardness bullpup rifles add roughly 20-25% to the training times to adaptation, because they are not "natural". Integral recoil compensation is likely, however. Then throw increased conceal and a folding stock to the SF models (to make them more like SMG's for urban clearing, etc) I'm not a believer in suppressors for AR's for soldiers, the only suppressors in use modernly are for SMG's, where their power isn't hampered as much by the sub-sonic rounds the suppressors require, and they benefit from the shorter configurations because the suppressors make up the difference on the fore end.

Can't think of anything else right now for a general issue AR. Remember, go cheap with the CAS. They have a LOT of boys to equip.

Having used the G3A3 battle rifle, M16A1 mattel toy and L85 varmint gun on at least one occasion during my 15 month in the german army, I have to disagree with the bullpub not being "natural". It takes some getting used the fact that you are closer to the ejection port and action but the gun itself handles nicely (and the scope was nice). Took me a single magazin to start "liking" it (If they had just used real ammo instead on 5.56N)

According to the brits training with the weapon takes no longer then with their L1A1 (FN-FAL variant) and those trained with the sights from day one even get used to the weapon faster than with the older battle rifle. And the "adaption" time (transfering from normal=>bullpub) is no issue in the military. They issue you your rifle and the normally don't change the type (general rearmament as an exception) [M16/US =>1960-, G3/BRD=>1950s-1998,AK/UdSSR=>1950s-...)

Integral recoil compensation is actually unlikely on an assault rifle. Light rounds and a preference for bursts (Full auto is what an GPMG / SAW is for) reduced the necessity for that additonal complication - one should learn from the G11 crap. And gasvents have some nice side effects - read up on the AKMS.

Folding stock will (sadly) be common since it is useful for mech/airborne. Hopefully a stable one (unlike the UZI) with a good shoulder fit (unlike the G3A4 crap)

I don't see a "carabine" version given the common use of body armor (IE the 5/3 cammo suit) since loosing power is a bad thing even today (and special ammo drives the pricetag of training way up)

A good flash suppressor should be part of the weapon and if a reduction in sound is available without lengthening the weapon and making it more complex, go for it. If only to protect your soldiers hearing.

Smartgun depends on your market. If you are building the next AK/G3 than leave it out and supply customers who are willing to pay with some external link (or, if you supply U[CA]S forces, with a vastly overpriced/engineered version) If you are building the next XM29 OICW you are supplying the U[CA]S forces...

Personally I'd like to see something different along this lines:

Rifle configuration (7S damage)
Magazin fed with 20-30 rnds
SA only
External mounting for a scope/laser system (Scope for field, laser for CQB)
Alternate smartgun (If you have time to configure for CQB)
A rugged, useable folding stock if such thing exists, Alternatively a bullpub design
Melee hardening and heavy barrel
Folding bipod
Cased ammo (for the show effect)
IRL a polygonal barrel with chroming
IRL a dustcover for the ejection port
IRL ambidexterity for safety, charging handle and ejection port

What I don't want to see:

More computing power than the "Eagle"
Underbarrel grenade launchers
Some flimsy "fay tech" that's falling apart if a human/ork uses it

Let the sucker wight in at 5-6kg loaded. Soldiering isn't for wimps.

Michael

--
An MG is okay if it sounds like the cross between a steam hammer running amok and a high-speed saw cutting into concrete
Austere Emancipator
QUOTE (Birdy)
I don't see a "carabine" version given the common use of body armor (IE the 5/3 cammo suit) since loosing power is a bad thing even today (and special ammo drives the pricetag of training way up)

Seeing as how the US military is currently moving towards making the standard issue weapon a carbine and phasing out full length ARs completely, I have to disagree on this. And the potential CQB-units will still want some weapon that isn't a meter long, and it had better not be an SMG (because those suck far more against body armor than carbines do).

A good flash suppressor should be part of the weapon and if a reduction in sound is available without lengthening the weapon and making it more complex, go for it. If only to protect your soldiers hearing.

The first bit is in no way taken into account by the rules -- and shouldn't be, either, since we can safely assume that any weapon that can mount a flash suppressor of some sort will. The second is impossible by canon rules, and you're stuck with the incredibly large Sound Suppressor. -2 Conceal is HUGE.

Is the weapon you are describing meant to be the standard weapon for all grunts in a military? I'll reply to the msg as if this were the case.
For a house-ruled construct, full-size rifle cartridge would be fine. By canon it makes no sense, since a basic AR (8M) will penetrate better than the 7S rifle.
SA only

I don't see this happening. If only with a 3-round burst, someone is going to be whining for autofire capability for CQB.

Cased ammo (for the show effect)

This is mostly a personal touch thingie, I know, but if a military uses cased ammo, it is because of budget issues. But that doesn't really matter, moving on...

[...]heavy barrel
Folding bipod

In an MG or Marksmans rifle variant, certainly, but I disagree on giving these to every grunt. But then the SGs have it, so whatever.
Birdy
Okay, a bit out of order. BTW yes, planned as a standard rifle

QUOTE (Birdy)

Seeing as how the US military is currently moving towards making the standard issue weapon a carbine and phasing out full length ARs completely, I have to disagree on this. And the potential CQB-units will still want some weapon that isn't a meter long, and it had better not be an SMG (because those suck far more against body armor than carbines do).

The US is today(and only the US!) SR is sixty years in the future. Sixty years ago the US was in the process of phasing in the SA only M1 Garand. Carabines have been critisised already for lack of range/accuracy. Most other nations prefer a full barrel length (and go with bullpubs if necessary i.e)

It's the US "fixation" with the M16 (M4 can reuse parts) and the "soon we have the XM8/XM29 wonder weapons) that lead to such abarrations. Time will show and correct.

Besides CQB with 123cm of weapon is doable as any german soldier who did Hammelburg can tell you wink.gif And the ability to out-range the REFORGER "guest" with his toygun is worth quite a few beers.

The first bit is in no way taken into account by the rules -- and shouldn't be, either, since we can safely assume that any weapon that can mount a flash suppressor of some sort will. The second is impossible by canon rules, and you're stuck with the incredibly large Sound Suppressor. -2 Conceal is HUGE.

Actually quite a few modern weapons have/had a lousy flash suppressor - like the "Kick Me I'm an ami" light aka M16 that had a muzzle flash bigger than an MG3!

And if sound suppression is to big, well let's continue issuing earplugs.

[...]heavy barrel
Folding bipod

In an MG or Marksmans rifle variant, certainly, but I disagree on giving these to every grunt. But then the SGs have it, so whatever.

Actually, a few nations (i.e. France, IIRC Israel) have a bipod with their issue rifle (FA MAS, Galil) since it aids when shooting prone without a cover to rest the barrel on. Like in a leaping assault.

Heavy barrels are not that uncommon on some older battle rifles either since they improve ruggedness. Maybe it can be subsumed under "melee hardening" and be dropped.

SA only

I don't see this happening. If only with a 3-round burst, someone is going to be whining for autofire capability for CQB.

Mostly a politico/macho problem again. Using a full sized cartridge burst/full auto are next to useless. Even a huge guy (190cm/110kg/semi-serious body builder back than) has problems controlling a battle rifle on FA. Full auto is for the pigman, the rest gives aimed fire (and SA IRL is faster than one thinks)

Bursts are "in" since some ideot in the Pentagon told the genius level intellects on capitol hill that burst will increase the chance to hit => decrease the training necessary => reduce the costs of training. Sadly the other genius level intellects around the world bought the concept and forced their armys down than stupid road.

For a house-ruled construct, full-size rifle cartridge would be fine. By canon it makes no sense, since a basic AR (8M) will penetrate better than the 7S rifle.

The rifle has a better range. And despite the "most battles take place within less than 150m" argument, there are quite a few situations when this is not true.

Gamewise the 7S means a slighly lower chance in penetration (OTOH we don't allow APDS for pistols(too slow) or ARs(too small diameter)) but a higher basic damage (two sucesses less to a kill)

Michael (Yes, basically I want a souped-up G3ZF)
Austere Emancipator
QUOTE (Birdy)
Yes, basically I want a souped-up G3ZF

Well you should've said that in the first place. wink.gif

In that case, go with 9S base damage. That's more likely to represent the .308Wins/7.62NATOs of the 2060s than 7S. And none of my comments on size, mode, barrel or bipod matter.

Of course, the marksman's rifle should probably be based on the assault rifle in use by the same military. Which isn't that big a problem, the 7S "Carbine" models of the modular weapon systems set a precedent, no reason why there couldn't also be a marksman's rifle version of any assault rifle that does 9S, has heavy barrel and a bipod, is SA only, etc.

The US is today(and only the US!) SR is sixty years in the future. Sixty years ago the US was in the process of phasing in the SA only M1 Garand.

That's not really a valid argument, since assault rifles were in the process of being invented sixty years ago. We might as well be seeing some concept of weapon in use by most militaries sixty years from now that doesn't really even exist yet, except on the drawing board at some research facility.

Actually quite a few modern weapons have/had a lousy flash suppressor - like the "Kick Me I'm an ami" light aka M16 that had a muzzle flash bigger than an MG3!
And if sound suppression is to big, well let's continue issuing earplugs.

Quality of flash suppressors isn't something I'm willing to make rules for... But if you want there to be modifers to spotting someone firing some sucky rifle, go ahead. Sound suppression isn't going to be standard for grunts for certain, unless there is some new breakthrough in technology, but I think it would be moronic not to have that capability for special situations.

Actually, a few nations (i.e. France, IIRC Israel) have a bipod with their issue rifle (FA MAS, Galil) since it aids when shooting prone without a cover to rest the barrel on.

I know a few nations have them, that's why I mentioned the Sig SGs (the first ones that came to mind). I hadn't paid any attention to the fact that the FAMAS has one too, though. And I've yet to see a Galil in use in Israel, so it can't really be called an issue weapon... It seems they use M16s and M4s for just about everything (feel free to correct me).

(and SA IRL is faster than one thinks)

No disagreement there, you're talking with a guy who used to use SA even in MOUT, and this is with a 7.62x39 assault rifle which doesn't have anywhere near as much recoil as a G3. I think we can agree that if the recoil is closer to that of a RL 5.56x45 or 7.62x39 AR, the weapon will certainly have autofire in some form. If the recoil is closer to a G3, but it's used for CQB as well, I think it would still have some form of autofire.

As for the range issue... I dunno. The only development in military firearms that is easily followed by someone like me, without any good sources, is that which happens in the US, and there the general trend is towards shorter range with the primary weapon.

I house rule armor penetration too, and by my rules it would make a lot of sense to design issue rifles for larger calibers. In fact, there are several of larger caliber than the 5.45/5.56 and derivatives. I just try to avoid using those rules as arguments since, as far as I know, I'm the only person on Dumpshock that uses anything similar.
spotlite
QUOTE (Hero @ Dec 8 2003, 07:06 AM)
Okay, should have been more specific with the reason I dislike the CC FCG.  When designing a firearm I know that the ample use of logic and common sense makes very balanced and sense able firearm.  I dislike that some weapons that you try to build that are based on RL weapons can't be made without bending the rules.  And weapons come out way to expensive then they should be, I mean once I made a bare bone heavy pistol, in fact it was clone of an Ares Predator.  And it can out 100-200Y more expensive, the way they have the formula to determine the costs is way jacked up.

I don't know if this is Spudmans (I think its actually one of Eleanor Holmes'), but do yourself and favour and check out the Shadowrun Supplementals (find a post by Adam and follow the link. I can't remember the url). In one of them are tweaks to the pricing system for the CC's firearms design costs.

[EDIT: I mean the design cost system I think belongs to Ms Holmes, not the Shadowrun Supplemental. Cos that's run by someone else...]

The thing with the weapons design in the CC is that its really for prototype or customized weapons. That's why its so expensive. If you want to make production models, that therefore are a more realistic price, check out the system in TSS. its done (I THINK) by working out the average price of the listed assault rifles, and then creating them by CC, and working out the average cost from there. Then work out the percentage difference and use that as a multiplier for your CC designed gun. I think some work out more expensive, some work out cheaper. I can't remember specifics because we don't design weapons that often in our game. But when we do, I break out that TSS issue and use that if its a production model. The players, obviously, have to use the CC rules because they're protoypes or heavily customised existing guns. Of course, if I'm using a prototype gun on the NPCs I also use the CC rules cos its not fair otherwise. But for introducing new weapon corps or guns to the market at large the TSS rules I've found are excellent.

Free, unrequested plug for the [insert unnecessarily flamboyant positive superlative) Shadowrun Supplemental over. And check out the Seattle issue while you're there. wink.gif
Hero
I have all the Shadowrun Supplemental on my hard drive, great reading, cant wait until the new issue comes out <if ever>. I read that article, considered using it at one time, but I am so a customed with Spudmans FCG that I don't use anything else. Besides, I prefer the Spudmans FCG, has a lot more options.
Chodav
Wow, those responses were so vitrolic that I almost hate to reply.

1) The Concealability of 5 does not make it pistol-sized. It makes it compact. Convenient for urban warfare, stowing in vehicles, etc.

2) The bullpup objection was well-addressed . . . thanks.

3) Integral recoil compensation? There is none. There is a foregrip and shock pads. Most bullpups have foregrips, and many assault rifles have pads. The fact that those accessories provide RC is gravy.

4) If you read carefully, you would see that the sound suppressor was on the v3, for Special Operations units. Their missions are a bit outside the norm.

5) Show me a flash suppressor in CC and I'll put one on v1 and v2.

6) Show me a "red dot" sight in CC and I'll put one on v2 instead of the laser sight.

(Or, with regard to 5 and 6, cut me some slack for my desire to work within the existing official rules.)

7) The Street Samurai Catalog was dated circa 2050-2055, IIRC. The (ommitted) flavor text with my rifle lists its date of adoption as 2058. Not that it matters . . .

8 ) Make it weigh more because soldiering isn't for wimps? A lighter weapon means more stuff can be carried in addition to it. Hence the transition from the M-14 to the M-16.

9) In my personal opinion, a x4 or x4.5 modifier for final price would solve the cost in CC issue, but I'm a player so I don't make those (GM) decisions.

10) With regard to shorter range, smaller size, lighter weight, et cetera, I only attempted to mirror the existing trends in the world today. Yes, not all countries have followed those trends, but like it or not, the US is the world's armament pacesetter.

In any event, I appreciate those of you who attempted some constructive criticism. Had I but known that the weapon creation rules in CC are so unpopular . . .

11) Chrome barrel on an assault rifle . . . ohplease.gif
Siege
It only matters how your GM views the weapon creation rules. grinbig.gif

As for the rest, run with it -- it's a nice enough weapon and it covers all the basics.

-Siege
Arethusa
You want to explain to me how a concealability of 5— a conceal factor shared almost exclusively by pistols— does not make this weapon absurdly small when all other assault rifles offered in the CC don't go above 2. And, more importantly, when no sane human being would assign a conceal of 5 to anything remotely rifle sized?
Chodav
Base Conceal for an assault rifle, 3.

Bullpup, +2.

Barrel reduction, +2.

Foregrip, -1.

Rangefinder, -1.

Net 5.

Straight from CC.

Now, can you please explain why your tone is so rudely hostile? Are you so perfect that you can criticize other's creativity (and sanity) with no concern for how it reflects upon you? Do you know what the word 'constructive' means?

Sadly, probably not.
moosegod
I would, however, decrease the conceal. See your both right, you from a rules perspective, him from a more "real life" perspective.

But I don't understand his totally unnecessary flaming...
Kagetenshi
Because in real life it's a stupid concept that is flameworthy. He's making the critical error of thinking that real life has any application whatsoever.

~J
Shockwave_IIc
QUOTE (Austere Emancipator)
(and SA IRL is faster than one thinks)

No disagreement there, you're talking with a guy who used to use SA even in MOUT,

SA? as in SA-80?

Granted my experience with it might be one off, But the rate of fire with it was something along the lines of fire, clear jam. Fire again, clear jam.

Also Not one person i've spoke to IRL be it weapons instructors or RMC's or even just plain army boys have given this weapon any credit. Put simply the've all said it's shit.
Fortune
you're talking with a guy who used to use SA even in MOUT,

SA? as in SA-80?

I believe that he's using 'SA' as a short form of Semi-Automatic, as in the mode-of-fire.
Shockwave_IIc
QUOTE (Fortune)
I believe that he's using 'SA' as a short form of Semi-Automatic, as in the mode-of-fire.

Im hoping that. grinbig.gif
Diesel
Bullpup configuration makes me angry. So do spiral notebooks and Crayola markers. I hate being left handed.
Arethusa
I really must apologize. My intent was not to flame. And, in retrospect, that was more hostile than really had any right to be and certainly was not my intent. Before this gets any more out of hand than it has, I'm sorry. All other things aside, that was out of line.

Anyway, you do have a right to constructive criticism, and, in all honesty, I do have a lot, so here goes.

(As a side note, Kagetenshi, I do feel that real life has some bearing on SR. While the rules in general have more ridiculosity than realism— the firearms rules, doubly so— to ignore the fact that realism is a compelling element in any medium and especially games is dangerous. While it is not the benchmark by which everything should be judged, it is a significant factor in the ability of any medium to immerse its viewers or, in this case, participants. So, fair if you want to say that I'm being an idiot for harping realism when a quick glance at the CC's submachinegun section reveals a wealth of stupidly concealable weapons, but don't flat out discount realism in any relation to the game.)

Before I get into things, though, I do want to say that while I'm not saying you did your math wrong on calculating the gun creation rules' concealability, the fact that taking an assault rifle frame and reducing the barrel immediately takes it up to the concealability of a large heavy pistol, and furthermore, that a bullpup design then shoots it up into the realm of a small light pistol should have clued you in to the fact that the gun creation rules should be summarily ignored. You are far better off with just adjucating something sane and then having your GM vet.

The concealability of 5 does actually make it pistol sized; you're free to argue that a conceal of 5 on a pistol isn't the same type of concealability you'd find on a piece of clothing or armor, but when you're talking about weapons where concealability, while abstract, is mostly a product of size, you have significantly less room to debate.

Though I know everyone already jumped on Hardison for his claim that bullpup designs are unnatural, I think it's worth restating that this is not the case. Bullpup designs do seem to be slow to aceptance in the US, and while the CAS is no longer a part thereof (and this is mostly a pure opinion call), I would say that it's unlikely that a bullpup assault rifle would be adaopted by the CAS. Then again, canon throws the AUG-CSL in there, so it really is up to you. Hopefully, by 2060, the AUG is no longer the piece of shit it is today.

Speaking of the AUG, aside from custom works and various, less well-known (or well used) designs like the Groza, most bullpup rifles (FAMAS, SA-80, Vector, SAR-21, OICW/XM29/junk) do not sport foregrips. And this is with good reason, as foregrips, in real life, force the shooter into a significantly more tense stance. They do help in controlling recoil, but distance shooting is made somewhat more awkward as a result. This is the reason they're not a good choice for GI issue and are more a mission specific, spec-ops, personal shooter preference type of deal. They are also, incidentally, one of the reasons the AUG is such a horrible weapon: the vertical foregrip doesn't allow the shooter to hold the weapon in a more relaxed grip (there is no horizontal foregrip short of grabbing the completely exposed barrel and burning your hand rather severely in the process). Your statement that shock pads are commonly found on rifles is straight out. While they are seen on sniper and hunting rifles, the added bulk and cost are generally deemed unnecessary for standard soldier issue. And hell, in real life, they don't provide recoil compensation anyway, though that's really a secondary issue.

The sound suppressor should have been provided as a part of a kit or an optional component. Throwing it in as standard issue is rather unlikely, as suppressors are not really always the best choice in a battlefield situation; doubly so for special operations, where loadouts often need to be customized on a per mission basis.

There are sadly no flash suppressors or reflex sights in canon. I'd say it's likely flash suppressors are assumed present unless stated otherwise, but if you like, could just add a +2 to any TN to visually notice weapon fire. As for reflex sights, I'm tempted to suggest a straight -1 TN at short and medium (and maybe long) ranges, except this is essentially a LAM with more bonuses and no downsides. An increase in cost wouldn't really help to make much more sense in terms of game balance or realism, either.

If your weights are in kilos, they are a bit on the heavy side, which, for the most part, doesn't make sense given metallurgy and polymer advancements likely by 2060. If they're in pounds, they are definitely too light, because all advancement aside, there is a point where recoil becomes a significant issue in a weapon that is far too light. Personally, assuming kilos, I'd just cut a kilo and a half off each design.

I'm not sure I agree with your choice to go with SA/BR as the only available firemodes. More progressive militaries have shown a trend towards abandoning fire limiters in favor of solid training, the US being about the only modern military to operate with a rifle that refuses to allow fully automatic fire (and this is sadly a byproduct of some rather terrible experiences in Vietnam that were far more the fault of horrible training than simple access to fully automatic fire, but bad habits die hard in Congress, though will hopefully be gone once the XM8 hits). Still, this is the South, and all amount of derision I can throw its way aside, they have a lot of soldiers to equip and train, and it is quite possible that the CAS would forego marksmanship training in favor of burst fire. And, of course, there's the fact that SR doesn't allow canon bursting in full auto.

I would also suggest you just go with a percentage range reduction. While I do agree that the canon range tables need some adjustment and could use a carbine table, I have been assured by my former GM that percentages are much easier to work with on the fly than memorizing a new category for a few carbines, much less, in your case, just one.

As a final note on the SA-80, this weapon was once a complete piece of crap, known for jamming more often than firing and melting int he withering presence of bug repellant, but these have since been corrected. The currently fielded Enfields are actually quite solid weapons, and while not necessarily the best bullpup design so far (at least, in my opinion, that award goes to the FAMAS), it is hardly the horror story that many believe to be. The is, unfortunately, in no small part due to the bad press it recieved on its way down the absolute zero amount of press it receieved as it was fixed. There are a number of British soldiers and one specific armo(u)rer I've heard speak of it in its current iteration quite highly.
Halbmetallmensch
QUOTE (Birdy)
Actually, a few nations (i.e. France, IIRC Israel) have a bipod with their issue rifle (FA MAS, Galil) since it aids when shooting prone without a cover to rest the barrel on. Like in a leaping assault.

First of all, the Galil isn't the standard issue rifle since 1991 in the IDF.
Also, the only assault rifle version of the Galil with bipod, the ARM (wich is only used in training nowadays) comes without the bipod (and carrying handle) in the IDF-version. The Galil-version still in use by the IDF, the SAR (short assault rifle) never came with a bipod to begin with.
It is also no wonder, that Galil had such a short service-life. It's heavy, cumbersome and not very accurate.
Arethusa
It's worth mentioning that it would have had a significantly longer service life had Israel's development not progressed as it did. The Galil, like the AK/AKM47, etc is more or less perfectly suited for harsh, third world conditions where manufacturing is crude by necessity and operating conditions far from pristine.

Anyway, yeah, bipods aren't often standard issue, but they were a pretty good idea with the FAMAS. Just that most designs aren't able to mount them quite so seamlessly, and, at that point, encumberance issues and the like remove any possibility of them being standard equipment. That said, don't really have a drawing of the MA-7.
Birdy
As on the Galil:

I am well aware that IDF switched from it to the M16 toygun. Had a lot to do with some design problems (read: they are as good in copying stuff as the US is - see the MG42 copy wink.gif ) that resulted in stress breaks plus they got a nice discount from Hardfort, Conneticut.

As on "red dot" (IIRC Colminator) sights - They are an alternative to laser sights that use a small optic imposing a red dot where the bullet would hit. The "dot" is only within that optic, no laser etc. involved. See the HK G36 for an example. The sight in question is the small secondary unit to the up and right. <Edit> If you need this, use a lasersight and half weight.</Edit>

Ignore flash suppressors in CC designs. Given that they are rather short, just put them in the fluff text

As for deliberately making weapons heavier - Noooooooooooooooo! But making a weapon lighter at all costs (monetarien and ruggedness) isn't the way to go either. Military rifles should IMHO be very rugged and durable as well as resonable cheap (you'll be buying them in 5-6 digit numbers at least). So if it ends up at 1000bucks/5kg and getting it to 4kg costs another 2-3 thousand, take the 5kg version and add more PT (Physical training)

As for SA sure I mean Semi Automatic. After all I tend to refer to the SA-80 as L85 / L86. Btw the gun worked fine - in a controlled west european environment at least.

Michael
Austere Emancipator
I think the one biggest problem with making canon military weapons is that the majority of the military freaks here aren't using canon rules, or at least won't admit that they do. This leads to things like the mention of the red dots sights, which don't exist in canon, but they should.

It also means that it's damn near impossible to come up with a military weapon that everyone agrees upon without using the CC firearms design rules, let alone with them. So you shouldn't take it too hard. smile.gif

The insanely high concealabilities of ARs with the CC rules are one major reason not to use them. Whoever told the guys at FASA that bullpup ARs are as small as large pistols should be flayed alive.

Using the CC rules does have some other side effects, too. For example the weight which has been thrown around here (wow, I almost made a pun). Canon weapons in SR are incredibly heavy -- far, far too heavy unless the people in the 2060s are several times more strong than the people IRL -- and so will any weapon made with the CC rules be, unless of course you pay a lot to make it light, which doesn't make sense either.

QUOTE (Arethusa)
I would also suggest you just go with a percentage range reduction.

Barrel shortening = -10% range, which has simply been factored into the ranges he gave. Or at least that's what I think.

The Galil, like the AK/AKM47, etc is more or less perfectly suited for harsh, third world conditions where manufacturing is crude by necessity and operating conditions far from pristine.

I'm slightly insulted by that. nyahnyah.gif I like to think that the AK-style action can work quite well even in a first world country where manufacturing is precise and effective. But it's true that you don't need a rifle that can fire after being stuffed full of sand and then frozen, unless you expect your army to fight in such conditions.

And yes, I meant Semi-Automatic, too. I've never held any assault rifle other than the RK62, a special edition of RK76 and a Type-56. Not a lot of variety there. frown.gif
Arethusa
Overlooked the range bit. I just assumed he was using a custom range table as I don't have the canon ranges memorized. Whoops.

Anyway, I'm not saying that the AK can't function as an effective weapon in a clean enviornment. It's just out of its element in the same way a Brown Bess can still punch a hole through you just as well as it did in the 1780s, but it's completely outclassed by even a modern day 1911. In that regard, the AK's main abilities— specifically, that it can function just fine with a fistful of sand shoved through it and get tossed in a volcano for a solid millenium of storage if necessary— become useless in a modern, clean urban setting, while its disadvantages— the fact that it is bulky, clumsy, heavy, inaccurate, and chambered for Russian calibers for which I am only slowly beginning to somewhat respect— fully remain. Slogging through the jungle, the AK is in its element: inaccurate fire due to shoddy barrel and munitions construction doesn't matter at any ranges you'll likely be fighting and the ability to almost never jam is a godsend. In an urban house cleaning, however, I'd rather have something a little less outmoded.
Birdy
QUOTE (Arethusa)
Overlooked the range bit. I just assumed he was using a custom range table as I don't have the canon ranges memorized. Whoops.

Anyway, I'm not saying that the AK can't function as an effective weapon in a clean enviornment. It's just out of its element in the same way a Brown Bess can still punch a hole through you just as well as it did in the 1780s, but it's completely outclassed by even a modern day 1911. In that regard, the AK's main abilities— specifically, that it can function just fine with a fistful of sand shoved through it and get tossed in a volcano for a solid millenium of storage if necessary— become useless in a modern, clean urban setting, while its disadvantages— the fact that it is bulky, clumsy, heavy, inaccurate, and chambered for Russian calibers for which I am only slowly beginning to somewhat respect— fully remain. Slogging through the jungle, the AK is in its element: inaccurate fire due to shoddy barrel and munitions construction doesn't matter at any ranges you'll likely be fighting and the ability to almost never jam is a godsend. In an urban house cleaning, however, I'd rather have something a little less outmoded.

Please differentiate between the actual weapon (AK47/AK74) and the construction principle (short stroke, self regulating gas operator IIRC). As the Finish army can tell you, you can actually build a high quality AK-style weapon. There is nothing in-accurate in the system itself (Grade A german quality wink.gif )

Same for the caliber, the action has no problems accepting bigger loads (7.62B has more power than 5.56N IIRC)

As for "urban combat is clean" let me ask you a question - Did you ever go through a CQB/MOUT simulation? Or look at pictures from Stalingrad/Grosny? We are talking "If in doubt grenade them out" and "Make your own firing ports" combat here with lots of airborne dust and the remains of walls/cover flying around. And most cities taken don't look as squeaky clean as in the "Ministery of Propaganda" shows from Irak.

Add the fact that even in a controlled West European Environment (read: Shooting range on a sunny day) the M16 managed to fail at least once per 30 rounds and you see the benefits of a rugged design. Not to mention it requires less preventive maintenance to remain working.

Michael "A G3 can jam???"
Arethusa
Heh. Fair enough: the action itself is not necessarily bad. Past that, I'll say I have a personal preference for other designs, but there's nothing inherently wrong with it. Just that its tolerance for poor construction has a tendency to overshadow everything else.

When I mentioned urban combat, I was not referring to Berlin circa 1945; I was mostly referring to, for example, LA circa 1997. In a modern, clean, first world urban setting, reliability on par with an AK's is nice, but hardly necessary, and it is for this reason the M4s and M16s show up in SWAT arsenals. Iraq, on the other hand, is another story. Say what you like about US foreign policy; the soldiers there still need far better rifles.
Raygun
Anyway, I'm not saying that the AK can't function as an effective weapon in a clean enviornment.  It's just out of its element in the same way a Brown Bess can still punch a hole through you just as well as it did in the 1780s, but it's completely outclassed by even a modern day 1911.

I'm sure you're aware of it, but that analogy is a very serious exaggeration if you mean to suggest that a Brown Bess is to a 1911 as an AK47 is to an M16A2.

In that regard, the AK's main abilities— specifically, that it can function just fine with a fistful of sand shoved through it and get tossed in a volcano for a solid millenium of storage if necessary— become useless in a modern, clean urban setting,

Again, a very serious exaggeration. Statements like these make me want to see how people who make them react after the first bullet goes whizzing past their heads. A person with an AK can kill you just as dead as a person with an M16A2 or a G36 in any environment. That still seems pretty darn useful to me.

while its disadvantages— the fact that it is bulky, clumsy, heavy, inaccurate, and chambered for Russian calibers for which I am only slowly beginning to somewhat respect— fully remain.

Personally, I think most of the suggested disadvantages of the AK platform tend to be much more debilitating to the armchair user than the actual operator. Having owned both AK and AR15 rifles, I can tell you that if I were ever to need a rifle for serious urban use, with all else being equal, I'd take the AK. Its reliability is much more important to me than any relative loss of accuracy compared to other platforms, and the fact that it fires a bullet that's twice as heavy means a lot to me. More bullet = more disrupted tissue over the entire effective range of the rifle. The M16A2/M4A1 lose a substantial terminal ballistic effect beyond roughly 150m/50m range, respectively, due to the fact that the bullet (M193, M855) tends to stay intact rather than fragmenting after dropping below about 2500 fps.

From a pure numbers point of view, here's the comparison of the AK103 (modernized AK47) to the M16A2, the M4 carbine and the G3A3.

Izhmash AK103
7.62x39mm Soviet (122 FMJ @ 2380 fps = 1534 fpe)
Weight (empty): 3.4 kg (7.5 lbs)
Weight (magazine, loaded): 0.74 kg (1.6 lb)
Weight (loaded): 4.14 kg (9.1 lbs)
Barrel: 415mm (16.3")
Overall Length: 943mm (37.1"), stock open
Max Effective Range (Point): 400m (437 yards)
Max Effective Range (Area): 1000m (1093 yards)
Recoil: 5 fpe @ 6 fps (w/ muzzle brake: @ 3.5 fpe)

FN M16A2
5.56x45mm NATO (62 FMJ @3100 fps = 1322 fpe)
Weight (empty): 3.7 kg (8.1 lbs)
Weight (magazine, loaded): 0.45 kg (1 lb)
Weight (loaded): 4.15 kg (9.1 lbs)
Barrel: 508mm (20")
Overall Length: 1005mm (39.6")
Max Effective Range (Point): 550m (601 yards)
Max Effective Range (Area): 800m (874 yards)
Recoil: 3 fpe @ 5 fps (w/ muzzle brake: @ 2.25 fpe)

Colt M4A1 Carbine
5.56x45mm NATO (62 FMJ @ 2900 fps = 1157 fpe)
Weight (empty): 2.7 kg (5.9 lbs)
Weight (magazine, loaded): 0.45 kg (1 lb)
Weight (loaded): 3.15 kg (6.9 lbs)
Barrel: 368mm (14.5")
Overall Length: 840mm (33")
Max Effective Range (Point): 350m (382 yards)
Max Effective Range (Area): 600m (656 yards)
Recoil: 4 fpe @ 6 fps (w/ muzzle brake: @ 3 fpe)

Heckler & Koch G3A3
7.62x51mm NATO (147 FMJ @ 2625 fps = 2249 fpe)
Weight (empty): 4.4 kg (9.7 lbs)
Weight (magazine, loaded): 0.76 kg (1.7 lb)
Weight (loaded): 5.16 kg (11.4 lbs)
Barrel: 450mm (17.71")
Overall Length: 1025mm (40.35")
Max Effective Range (Point): 500m (546 yards)
Max Effective Range (Area): 800m (874 yards)
Recoil: 10 fpe @ 7 fps (w/ muzzle brake: @ 8.5 fpe)

Judge for yourself. Of course, none of that says anything about each weapon's handling charateristics. The AR15-based rifles do seem to be marginally easier to use (placement of selector switch, bolt hold-open), but not so much that it makes any significant difference in terms of operator performance as long as those operators are reasonably well-trained. In my experience, the AK isn't any more clumsy than an M16A2 (or 16" AR15 for that matter), is just about the same weight, is plenty accurate for work inside of 300-400 meters, and is infinitely more reliable than the AR15-based rifles. Again, this is my personal experience speaking. The one thing the AK does lack in comparison to the M16A2 is long range accuracy. But since we're talking about operating in urban environments, that point is largely moot.

QUOTE (Birdy)
Michael "A G3 can jam???"

Yes. The G3 most certainly can jam and most certainly has jammed. It will also kick the hell out of you in full-auto (the price of superior ballistic performance), should you be inclined to bother with it that way. No weapon is perfect. That said, I think I'd rather have a G3A3 or a FAL more than anything else we've discussed so far if the shit were to hit the fan. Far more versatile rifles IMHO, as long as you can handle them.
Arethusa
That was, looking back a bit of a bad anlogy. I was only pointing out that while a Brown Bess may be far from the best weapon to have on hand today and be greatly outclassed by more modern weapons, the Brown Bess will still kill you just as well as it did 230 years ago. And, likewise, while the AKM47 may be outclassed by more modern weapons, it will still kill quite effectively. That said, I'm not claiming musket:1911::AK:M16. That would be a gross exaggeration. And hell, I'd hit the ground after the first bullet or musket ball flew past my head, and I really don't care what it's getting fired out of.

That is, incidentally, one of my issues with the SR system. The way it approaches firearms and armor creates a dynamic in which older weapons are no longer as effective on a single human being, and better, newer things with no downsides whatsoever overshadow everything else. Whether it was a conscious choice by Mulvihill as an artistic statement on the ebbing of humanity in the future or just a completely stupid mistake, it doesn't make for terribly compelling gameplay— at least, in this case, not with the guns (largely because it simply could not work out that way— at least not to that degree— in the future).

You're probably right about accuracy and ergonomics issues being much more problematic for those of us with no practical experience. I must admit I've never fired a rifle (much less a gun); that said, while I can't really say for certain in either direction, does make sense that the AK and its variants would prove more effective. Just unfortunate that I find the AK's aesthetics a little unpleasant.
gknoy
Looking over what Raygun's said, and what others have said about preferences for rifles, etc, this seems to lend a decent roleplaying reason to specialize in a rifle -- as a means of representing personal preference and extra time spend training with it ...

That said, perhaps a better way to do it would be to enforce a preference-based system on what your character will use -- e.g., he might be able to shoot great with a Colt, but won't use them unless he is unable to use his trusty G3/M14/AK-variant/G36 (or insert your gun of choice here).
Raygun
QUOTE (Arethusa)
That is, incidentally, one of my issues with the SR system.  The way it approaches firearms and armor creates a dynamic in which older weapons are no longer as effective on a single human being, and better, newer things with no downsides whatsoever overshadow everything else.

I'm right with you on that one. But that seems to be the kind of person the game is gear toward. I mean, there's got to be some way to satisfy a player's sense of technological advancement or surrealism (I do not think of the game as a comic book or anime, but it sure seems like that's how the majority of players think of it). Unfortunately, that's the fastest, easiest way to do it. Make everything near invincible. But you can certainly discard what you don't like and get on with playing the way that makes you happy. I've been doing that for years.

You're probably right about accuracy and ergonomics issues being much more problematic for those of us with no practical experience.  I must admit I've never fired a rifle (much less a gun); that said, while I can't really say for certain in either direction, does make sense that the AK and its variants would prove more effective.  Just unfortunate that I find the AK's aesthetics a little unpleasant.

That seems to be a lot of people's main problem with the AK. It's kinda ugly and crude-looking. To me, it's such a beautifully simple piece of engineering that I can't help but like it. Kind of transcends its looks.
Impact
smile.gif In my game, I have the CAS Marines swapping over to an HK G3 clone for their weapon of choice, do to the need for higher firepower against the Azzies, but...

Another thing to remember that in SR, a recent-manufactured AK need not look cheap or unfinished - the wonders of micro-factories and more efficient manufacturing technology. Heck, a guy with the right equipment could punch out Valmet-quality AK clones from his basement and have them look sharp as anything in the latest Holly Brighton sim.

I'm with Raygun on the AK's aesthetics, tho - it's truly the totem assault rifle. It's the scary romanian made AKM's with the blue plastic stocks that scare me.
Birdy
[QUOTE]
[QUOTE=Birdy]Michael "A G3 can jam???"[/QUOTE]

Yes. The G3 most certainly can jam and most certainly has jammed. It will also kick the hell out of you in full-auto (the price of superior ballistic performance), should you be inclined to bother with it that way. No weapon is perfect. That said, I think I'd rather have a G3A3 or a FAL more than anything else we've discussed so far if the shit were to hit the fan. Far more versatile rifles IMHO, as long as you can handle them.
[/QUOTE]
[/QUOTE]

Blasphemie! Propaganda! <Kreiiiiiisch> smile.gif

No, sure the G3 can jam, even with regular ammo (don't ask about that plastic maneuver ammo frown.gif ) and the idea of using it on full auto on anything smaller than a group of guys in earth-brown that scream "Urääää" more than 50m away makes me shudder. Heck, I could hit man sized popups at 400m in SA quite reliable but had problems hitting anything on burst more than 50-100m away. And I was above average in height/strength (Used to be the staffs MG-gunner)

That's why I opted for a SA only/burst weapon. With this ammo-type full auto is basically useless. At the same time I want a weapon that jams every 500-1000 rounds in a controlled environment

[quote=ARETHUSA]
When I mentioned urban combat, I was not referring to Berlin circa 1945; I was mostly referring to, for example, LA circa 1997. In a modern, clean, first world urban setting, reliability on par with an AK's is nice, but hardly necessary, and it is for this reason the M4s and M16s show up in SWAT arsenals. Iraq, on the other hand, is another story. Say what you like about US foreign policy; the soldiers there still need far better rifles.
[/quote]

Okay, SWAT is a different piece of duty. There you can use all kinds of nifty systems since:

Usage time is actually quite short (Only one house/room and than home)
Situation is cleaner
Targets are different (Mil sniper=hit the guy so he can't fight no more, SWAT sniper=kill him so fast, he can't do anything anymore)

There it's precision, speed of use and effectiveness above all.

Michael "Where did that Belgian come from?"
Siege
QUOTE (Raygun)

That seems to be a lot of people's main problem with the AK. It's kinda ugly and crude-looking. To me, it's such a beautifully simple piece of engineering that I can't help but like it. Kind of transcends its looks.

Ya know, if it works when I need it to and keeps my fragging ass alive -- it's the most beautiful piece of hardware I've ever seen.

If you want to get an idea of how nasty urban warfare can get, check out the battle for Stalingrad. The movie comes close, but they gloss over a lot of the gory details.

-Siege
Austere Emancipator
Let's not get into Stalingrad. Really. I mean, even if you could get autofiring plasmacannons on levitating tanks, I'm willing to bet most of us would rather kill ourselves immediately than face a day of the hell on earth that was called the battle for Stalingrad.

I know I market the Battle of the Black Sea (Black Hawk Down) far too much, but I still think it's a nice example of urban warfare in the brave new world. Sure it lasted less than a full day (18 hours?), and the total casualties are less than a thousandth of what went down in Stalingrad, but that's still a whole lotta corpses per hour, and a whole lotta panicked soldiers fighting for their lives.

The book doesn't have a single mention of a gun jamming in a situation where it might have mattered, as far as I can remember, which is slightly surprising when you consider that all those M16s and M4s were full of sand by the time the first shots were fired. [Edit]And the average american assault rifle that visited downtown Mog during that time probably fired got about 300 rounds fired through it -- balanced between the guys who only fired a few shots if any, and the guys who stuffed everything full of ammo and, when those ran out, fired the first guys' spare ammo.[/Edit]

Like others, I have often wondered about why they make so many AK clones ugly on purpose though. Maybe it's some sort of statement for pacifism on the part of countries formerly in the Soviet union. A hideous ugly blue plastic gun might make the soldier think twice about actually using it. Or something. As long as guns are all black, they can't really be that ugly.

To make this all a bit more related to SR: I think it's a good bet that firearms in the SR world would be a fair bit more aesthetic than the guns we have today. With the extremely competitive nature of the arms trade and the fact that domesticity is not as important a factor in buying guns for an armed force, all firms would have to make their weapons as appealing as possibly in every way.

Also, since arms trade seems to have become more of an oligopoly (only a few huge corps which do most of the guns), branding and other such methods have undoubtedly become more important. The looks of a weapon are a significant part in this.
Siege
That's the catch though, isn't it?

Presumeably military planners of the future will learn lessons from the events leading up to the BoS and subsequently avoid it, but how much abuse do you want your weapons to be able to take?

Given that the current US Army structure was predicated on being able to fight a landwar in some of the coldest countries, you would think the original M-16 would have been more reliable than they actually were.

-Siege
Diesel
I just want one of them OICW. Those sound scary.

Me, w/ OICW: Airburst, biatches!
Enemy Forces: *shouts in foreign language*
Me, w/ OICW: I'm in your base, killing your d00ds!
Birdy
QUOTE (Diesel)
I just want one of them OICW. Those sound scary.

Me, w/ OICW: Airburst, biatches!
Enemy Forces: *shouts in foreign language*
Me, w/ OICW: I'm in your base, killing your d00ds!

Naaa, it will go this way:

You: <Switching to grenade launcher>
Gun: (female voice) Grenade launcher selected. Please specify arming mode
You: Sh... <Switching to airburst>
Me: (two my Gunner/2) Ah, there's an Ami in the bush at 11 o'clock
Gun: Please verify settings by pressing the Yes button
You: <Trying to press that small button, than aiming the gun>
My gunner/2: Inserting that long belt
You <aiming an airburst that pings of our overhead cover>
Me: <Loosing a few dozend round from my MG42/59 in your general direction, making Haschee American>
My gunner/2: <Handing me a beer>

And that's the lucky version. The alternate is:

"The application Arming failed. Do you want to send a report to the customer service"

or

"This is the OICW hotline. If you have a problem with the grenade laucher, press 1. If..."

Michael
Siege
Ha! Nothing quite like having software conflicts in your targeting system.

"Blue Screen of Death" takes on a whole new meaning, neh?

-Siege
Birdy
QUOTE (Siege)
Ha! Nothing quite like having software conflicts in your targeting system.

"Blue Screen of Death" takes on a whole new meaning, neh?

-Siege

Jaaah!

Remebering how many times the radios gave up the ghost (we're talking SEM25/35 solid state "whatcha mean frequency jumping" stuff here - one step above WWII) during exercises not to mention thinks like pocket calculator displays dimming due to cold etc. I certainly dislike rifles which basically need the computer to be any useful. Not to mention batteries - What do you bet me they'll fail just before the new human wave comes over the ice?

So I'll go for something mechanical IRL. Gamewise, well let's do the Hicks - "This is the M41A 10mm caseless...."[1] and then have fun with the players when their supertoy catches a virus.

Michael

[1] Granted, Kira Nerris looked better....

Siege
On that thread, I've always disliked the idea of smartlinks removing triggers from guns.

If my batteries fail or the electronics go snap, crackle, pop -- I wanna be able to pull the trigger damnit! grinbig.gif

-Siege

Edit: unrelated topic, but still fun -- if you think cybernetics are out of hand, start unleashing viruses that can corrupt onboard systems.

Imagine a bug that keeps flashing "Buy Aztech Food Products" on your retinal display...grinbig.gif

Austere Emancipator
QUOTE (Siege)
Imagine a bug that keeps flashing "Buy Aztech Food Products" on your retinal display...

Argh! AdWare of the 2060s! Just think about a Headware Radio + Image Link: Every 15 minutes, you'd be assaulted both audio and visual obscenities.
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Dumpshock Forums © 2001-2012