Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: SRTCG Party - Dumpshock Meet & Great
Dumpshock Forums > Discussion > Convention Information
Pages: 1, 2, 3
Vegas
QUOTE (adamu @ Apr 28 2008, 08:56 PM) *
Well, it's a far cry from a private party at this point!

And now that you've said you'll stop by, I shall be officially disappointed if you don't.

(Though we should arrange some other time to actually sit down and talk, since I fear it might not be the best venue for conversation - boys and their games and all that!)

Well dang, now I HAVE to show up if for no other reason than to not disappoint you because of the sheer fact that you potentially hold the fate of a couple of my characters in your hands nyahnyah.gif

But yes, time to chat outside of crashing your card game would be awesome.
Critias
QUOTE (adamu @ Apr 29 2008, 08:26 AM) *
Actually - there are probably enough DSers that want to meet the legendary Immoral Elf that you should try taking up a collection!!!

What, are you kiddin'? I'll pay Fortune money to not show up!

wink.gif
swirler
i just stumbled on this topic
its a lil old I guess but thought I'd mention anyone who wants SRTCG cards I think they have them at Stiggybaby.com

I'd thought about getting them but well I dont have anyone to play with anyway lol
adamu
Okay - the room is finally totally confirmed.

At least, the fact that we will have a room is finalized.

The room # is Circle City 3. That part is subject to change.

But I will be informed if it does. In any case, I will repost the room number on this thread once the Con gets closer.

And it will be listed on the Hilton reader board or whatever, so you can always just ask the staff when you get there. It'll be called "SRTCG Blowout & semi-official Dumpshock Meet 'n' Greet.

We have the room from 11:00 pm Friday night until 7:00 am Saturday morning (although I certainly won't be up that long!).

A lot of us, including me, will be in the SR tourney until 11:00...I personally expect to roll in there at 11:30. But I expect my co-host Jack Robustus will be there from 11:00.
Adam
My Gen Con schedule is always wacky, but I totally intend to be there for some of this.
Random Voices
QUOTE (adamu @ May 19 2008, 02:46 PM) *
Okay - the room is finally totally confirmed.

At least, the fact that we will have a room is finalized.

The room # is Circle City 3. That part is subject to change.

But I will be informed if it does. In any case, I will repost the room number on this thread once the Con gets closer.

And it will be listed on the Hilton reader board or whatever, so you can always just ask the staff when you get there. It'll be called "SRTCG Blowout & semi-official Dumpshock Meet 'n' Greet.

We have the room from 11:00 pm Friday night until 7:00 am Saturday morning (although I certainly won't be up that long!).

A lot of us, including me, will be in the SR tourney until 11:00...I personally expect to roll in there at 11:30. But I expect my co-host Jack Robustus will be there from 11:00.

Adamu,

I never actually played the card game, but I will be there!
adamu
Dude - it's a cinch. I'll save a badass deck for you.

Lord o' Lightnin' but damned if we won't have a full 50% of the Folding Circle reunited at this shindig!
adamu
Okay - meaningless bump just because this thread had fallen off the board.

Figured it was relevant enough to keep up there given how close the Con is and the level of interest expressed.

As I mentioned before, I will repost all the exact time & location info once we get a week or so out.
Caine Hazen
Saw some cards here yesterday... they're going for 60$ for a box of boosters, didn't see decks though. But I know there are some still out there.
Bull
Bumpity Bump Bump smile.gif

Looking forward to this little shindig. Plotting and scheming as well. Oh yes. smile.gif
Adam
Bull, please bring a deck for me to play with! smile.gif
Bull
QUOTE (Adam @ Jul 11 2008, 03:20 AM) *
Bull, please bring a deck for me to play with! smile.gif

I have three or four decks that I built and "tuned" ages ago, so they'll be coming with me.

I also plan to put together several more decks to give out using the mounds and mounds of cards I have stashed away.

I'll also be bringing a big box o' commons and extra uncommons to give out.

Plus the sealed stuff I mentioned earlier in the trhead.

I think I'll have ya covered smile.gif
Caine Hazen
Finished sorting my cards earlier in the week. Really looking forward to playing this again!
john_doe
Just over a month to go...

Hey Bull, you taking donations for the Rolling Bar & Grill?
Bull
QUOTE (john_doe @ Jul 11 2008, 10:43 AM) *
Just over a month to go...

Hey Bull, you taking donations for the Rolling Bar & Grill?

That's... Up in the air right now. Adamu is worried that it'll turn into a drunken orgy. And lets face it, drunk gamer nerds? They're a very scary and very sorry lot. And since Adam's putting this shindig together, I'm willing to bow to his wishes graciously.

Of course, drinking before (and after) seems a viable option to me as well. ork.gif

We were talking about snackage and the like though. Maybe bring along a bag of chips or some pop or something.

Bull
adamu
Actually, I am not too concerned about a drunken orgy - although this will be my first chance for some serious group SRTCG in eight or nine years, and I'd rather not play with someone that can't hold their cards. I did organize this thing to play cards. If I wanted to drink, I would go to a bar.

But really I don't mind at all if other people drink, and I am delighted that Bull has expanded this thing into the DS meet-n-greet. If I wasn't truly up for the idea, I wouldn't have gone ahead and rented the space to facilitate it.

No - what I am truly terrified of is getting my ass sued off when some besotten idiot hurts themself or someone else while at an event I paid for.
Sucks, but that's the fearzone we as Americans have allowed our country to become (apologies to those who aren't).
I am only having Bull hold off on the alcohol planning until I determine my liability - which I am currently researching.
Once that verdict is in, I will respond in as liberal a manner as possible.

Hate to have to put up such an unfun post.
Adam
I didn't do the arrangements for it, but at Gen Con 2005 FanPro threw a party in one of the hotel rooms, and since we were serving liquor we also had to pay for a bartender [two of them, actually] and a couple cops to check IDs at the door.

I'm pretty sure they won't just let you bring outside liquor in, officially.
Bull
QUOTE (adamu @ Jul 18 2008, 03:30 PM) *
Actually, I am not too concerned about a drunken orgy - although this will be my first chance for some serious group SRTCG in eight or nine years, and I'd rather not play with someone that can't hold their cards. I did organize this thing to play cards. If I wanted to drink, I would go to a bar.

But really I don't mind at all if other people drink, and I am delighted that Bull has expanded this thing into the DS meet-n-greet. If I wasn't truly up for the idea, I wouldn't have gone ahead and rented the space to facilitate it.

No - what I am truly terrified of is getting my ass sued off when some besotten idiot hurts themself or someone else while at an event I paid for.
Sucks, but that's the fearzone we as Americans have allowed our country to become (apologies to those who aren't).
I am only having Bull hold off on the alcohol planning until I determine my liability - which I am currently researching.
Once that verdict is in, I will respond in as liberal a manner as possible.

Hate to have to put up such an unfun post.

I wouldn;t sweat it too much Adam, I'm pretty sure most of us don;t need alcohol to have fun (Ok, Caine might, but then I think he transfused his blood with whiskey ages ago anyways smile.gif). We're there to hang out and play cards, first and foremost. ork.gif
adamu
I really really appreciate that response.

For now, my research progresses, and I should have a final answer next week.
Bull
On my end, I'm almost done sorting cards. I have well over 3000 cards, probably closer to 4K, and they were pretty much randomly packed into a box years and years ago, so... Sorting has taken some time.

I'm filing 4-6 of each card into Ultra Pro card sheets in a couple large binders. I actually need to go get some more sheets today, as I'm out and still need to sort my challenges. THis will make it much easier for me to find stuff for trade materials, if anyones looking for anything.

I did finally find my Demo Decks to show off. They were two different pre-built decks that say "Demo Only" on the back that FASA was giving out to anyone who demo'd the TCG at Origins and Gen Con in '97.

I have 2 of the SRTCG Promo cards still ("Shadowrun Trading Card Game is INSANE!" and "Don't kid yourself, size matters!". There was at least one more, and I used to have a ton of these, but apparently I gave away, traded away, or threw away all the rest :/

I do have a pile of signed cards. Jim Nelson, Skuzzy, Jeff laubestein, Fred Hooper, and Tom Baxa ork.gif

I do also have a sizable pile of "Extras" that aren't in decks or the folders, and I can probbaly make 4 or 5 pretty solid, basic decks out of them, so I'll prebuild some decks with those as well.

Plus, I do have some fun Shadowrun extras I'll be bringing along, souvenirs of Conventions Past mostly. If anyone else has anything semi-unique for SR to bring along, please do. Could be kinda fun to get together a small museum of oddball SR items smile.gif
adamu
Wow - I am really looking forward to seeing those two promos - I had not heard of those before.

But most of all, I want to sit you down and make you tell me what the second series/corp war cards were like!
Bull
QUOTE (adamu @ Jul 19 2008, 11:33 AM) *
Wow - I am really looking forward to seeing those two promos - I had not heard of those before.

But most of all, I want to sit you down and make you tell me what the second series/corp war cards were like!

Oh god. It's been 10 years... I remember a few things, but not much, sadly. I REALLY wish I knew what happened to those, or that I still had access to the original digital file.
adamu
Yeah, I REALLY wish you did too!

I have lain awake nights weaving elaborate fantasies about super-devs who make SR so great that it becomes so popular that there is demand to revive the card game.

I also have fantasized about a big all-night party where dozens of cool SR-lovers get together for serious multi-player SRTCG games --- oh, wait, that one's going to come true!
Adam
Taking very quick inventory ... I have the card names and graphics [art + borders, not nuyen cost, text, skill icons, etc] for 95 Corp War cards.
Bull
QUOTE (Adam @ Jul 19 2008, 04:15 PM) *
Taking very quick inventory ... I have the card names and graphics [art + borders, not nuyen cost, text, skill icons, etc] for 95 Corp War cards.

Damn! We had just the text stuff, not art for the playtest cards. :/
Adam
I, however, don't have the text.

Does 95 cards sound about right?
Bull
QUOTE (Adam @ Jul 19 2008, 09:31 PM) *
I, however, don't have the text.

Yeah, that was my point. If I could just find my copies, we could put the two together... wink.gif

I have a couple last ditch places to search, but I'm not too hopeful. :/

Does 95 cards sound about right?

Yeah. It wasn't a huge set, as I recall. Might have been a bit larger than that, but not too much.
Bull
OK, finally finished my card sorting, and built some extra decks to hand out.

My suggestion is that we go with 50 point games, at least to start. All the decks I built can handle more than that, but... THis will help make the games go quicker.

My "Starter" decks are pretty simplistic. Basic Skill & Muscle decks, with a decent sampling of gear, locations, specials, contacts, etc. I stayed away from the more "Advanced" stuff that really require a more specialized deck construction (Magic, RIgging, Decking). I will have all my extras with me, so if anyone wants to dig out the cards to tweak a deck in those directions, they can, but it'll at least get them started smile.gif

As such, I'd suggest anyone who's bringing pre-built decks bring a "Basic" deck as well to play against the newbie decks. Something a little more stripped down that won;t force an opponent to rely on tricks they're not gonna have.

I have 5 decks to hand out. Plus the sealed stuff I still have as well. Should help get folks started smile.gif

Bull
john_doe
Sounds good to me. Even if i don't get to play any games, it will be nice to meet, and socialize with some fellow SR junkies...

I just hope i'm still alive after Friday night's SR tournament to make it...
adamu
Damn - you guys are making me slaver all over my keyboard just thinking about getting a peak at any part of those 95 cards!!!
Bull
QUOTE (john_doe @ Jul 21 2008, 10:17 AM) *
Sounds good to me. Even if i don't get to play any games, it will be nice to meet, and socialize with some fellow SR junkies...

Bah, drag the other SR Gms with you smile.gif
adamu
Okay - people, the final word on drinking at this event is...

Sorry - I will have to request this be a dry gathering.

The Hilton seems pretty relaxed about the whole thing, but when it came right down to it, their lawyers said the only way I would be totally safe would be with third-party event insurance, which they said was generally dirt cheap.

So I looked into that, and initial quotes ranged from only $100-175 including liquor liability. I figured, what the heck, once in a lifetime event, try to make everyone happy.

But then when it came down to the actual application, it turns out that since the thing is open to the public and I really can't say who or how many people will be showing up, those types of insurers won't cover me.
They referred me to the sorts of underwriters that will cover our type of event, and the price went way way way up.

Although not a drinker myself, I know that a lot of people's enjoyment of our games might have been enhanced if they could sip their favorite beverage while playing. I had hoped that would be possible. Unfortunately, as the person whose name is on the room, it is more liability than I can take on.

So I fear this must be an alcohol-free event.
DireRadiant
QUOTE (john_doe @ Jul 21 2008, 10:17 AM) *

I can promise you'll live. The characters on the other hand.... opportunity to leave early if there is a TPK.
adamu
Won't do any good - room's not available until 2300 hours anyway.
john_doe
QUOTE (DireRadiant @ Jul 21 2008, 04:14 PM) *
I can promise you'll live. The characters on the other hand.... opportunity to leave early if there is a TPK.

LOL, i guess i should have seen that one coming...
john_doe
QUOTE (adamu @ Jul 21 2008, 04:14 PM) *
So I fear this must be an alcohol-free event.

I'm ok with that.
Aaron
We're still looking at Circle City 3 in the ... Hilton was it? Yes?
adamu
That's the word so far. Hilton has all that "subject to change" stuff, but I will get final confirmation before the Con.

I will be re-posting the place and time on this thread right before the Con whatever happens.

And the ultimate failsafe is that even if they change the room, the event will be on their daily bulletin board or whatever, so all you have to do is ask staff where the SRTCG Blowout/DS meet-n-greet is.
Aaron
Could I bother you to copy the most current information into the top post of this thread, if it hasn't been already? It's easier to find there.
Jack Robustus
At this point I have 11 decks to give out at the big SRTCG gathering. They each have a loose theme, although there is also enough variety in the decks to put together a credible team. I'd like to say they are as simplistic as Bull suggested, but I feel they should be easy to play. I'll include my own difficulty rating in the descriptions. They are all fairly small and every one will meet the 50 point limit easily. As I mentioned back in April, each will come with a rulebook and a reference card.

The Decks are:

Cheap Cyber:features characters capable of using cyberware, and equipment like cyberarms, hand razors, etc. (easy)
Rigger: about 10 riggers and enough drones to make them usuable. (moderate)
Kill 'em All:a Yak heavy deck featuring lots of ways to kill opponent runner teams (difficult)
Ganger:the name says it all. (easy)
Firearms:guns and accessories and the runners to use them. (easy)
Drones:remote vehicles and characters with pilot skill (difficult)
Shamans:spirit heavy and the runners who can summon them (difficult)
Big Money:a Mafia heavy deck featuring many cards designed to increase your safehouse coffers (medium)
Magic:Mages and spells for all situations. (moderate)

I have the capability to put together two more decks. If you want to reserve one of the decks above or request a different theme deck, please send me a PM.

adamu
QUOTE (Aaron @ Jul 23 2008, 04:05 PM) *
Could I bother you to copy the most current information into the top post of this thread, if it hasn't been already? It's easier to find there.

Done.
Drogos
So if say my GF and I, who will be in town for another event, were to stop by, would we need to have con passes? We're planning on going for a day, but you know how plans go sometimes.
Bull
Don;t believe so. This isn't an actual convention scheduled event, and it's not even in the convention center itself. It's in one of the adjoining hotels.
adamu
Bull's right on. No actual affiliation with the Con or anything. No admission, just show up ready to play cards and/or meet fellow DSers.
Bull
I'm gonna sticky and edit the title slightly to make this thread a bit more obvious, since I've done a little "Advertising" to friends on Livejournal and on RPGnet. smile.gif

Digging through a box of VS cards for a friends, I came across like 4 more crap-ass old decks, from when we were doing a "Sealed Deck League", which is what I bought thestill-sealed decks and boosters for originally. Gonna see if I can put together a halfway tuned deck or two more with them in a bit.

Anyways, one thing I did realize that I'm very short of is Rulebooks. The 6 Sealed Starters I have will have rules in them, obviously, but for any extra decks we pass out, I only have a few books kicking around to give away. So if anyone has any extras, bring those along please?

Also, if anyone has any thoughts on something special we could do? Contests and the like? (A tournament would be ideal, but I don't think we'll really have the time for anything like that, along with the general meet and greet, teaching the nubs to play, and all that.

Maybe if this goes over well enough, we could actually schedule a tournament at Gen Con next year, though wink.gif

<chuckle>

So yeah, Adam (U or J), Caine, Jack, and whoever else... Suggestions? ork.gif
Bull
Ok, I now have a couple prizes in mind. But we need a really good contest, I think smile.gif
Caine Hazen
I think I saw 4 or 6 rule books when I was sorting through cards. Got 4 decks set and ready to roll, I'll bring my extras in case someone needs to build one or more.

No booze, no problem, I'm sure we'll be plenty drunk before we get there.
Bull
Just idle curiosity, but has anyone been hitting up ebay since we started talking about doing this, either wanting to get a bunch of cards cheap for the Con, or simply out of nostalgia since we keep talking about it?

I used to usually see a pile of SRTCG stuff on eBay, sometimes at decent prices, and sometimes way overpriced. But the last few weeks I've been watching it, and there's been almost nothing except a couple hideously overpriced auctions. smile.gif
Jack Robustus
@Bull I am giving out a rulebook and reference card with each of my precon decks, so those players will be set. I also have two more books and three more reference cards to give out. I'll be bringing my printouts of the errata, so we can prove that the threat rating for Halloweener Hell is actually 6/4 and that isn't some number we are pulling out of our collective asses. Also, handy for proving to all the hideous nature of Maglocks.

I've been doing some playtesting over the past couple nights to get my head around the game again. One thing that I noticed straight away is that objective stacks with high point cards are going to make for really short games, too short in my opinion. I tweaked my precon decks and added in some of the lower point cards like Cake Walk, Milk Run, Extraction, Courier Run, Steal Wiz Softs, etc. My aim being to make it take three runs to win instead of two. I left out any challenges that gave rep bonuses as well. We'll see how it goes.

Another thought, we need to cover some etiquette points up front. The first being the use of paper and pen/pencil to write down stats on challenges as they are reconned. This was standard operating procedure in the games that adamu and I played. I don't know if the rest of the SRTCG world rolled that way. We need to reach agreement on that point before the event.

@All interested gamers I would like to highly encourage participants to bring their own tokens. The primary use of tokens is to indicate how much nuyen.gif you have on your credstick. adamu has a tupperware container of various token objects including pennies, 1 yen coins and other stuff. I have a ziplock bag of pennies and cardboard bingo counters. Bull has suggested using dice. This is all well and good, but once you start playing the game you will understand the need to have plenty of tokens available and I am not sure the three of us can supply enough tokens for the event. Some cheap token ideas for everyone:

--the ever dependable pennies
--new washers (like nut and bolt washers)
--cardboard chits from old board games
--lots of polyhedral dice

This is going to be a lot of fun. I can't thank adamu enough for putting in all the legwork for this event. Big kudos to Bull as well.
Mydnight
QUOTE (Bull @ Jul 30 2008, 11:28 AM) *
Just idle curiosity, but has anyone been hitting up ebay since we started talking about doing this, either wanting to get a bunch of cards cheap for the Con, or simply out of nostalgia since we keep talking about it?

I used to usually see a pile of SRTCG stuff on eBay, sometimes at decent prices, and sometimes way overpriced. But the last few weeks I've been watching it, and there's been almost nothing except a couple hideously overpriced auctions. smile.gif

Its funny you should mention this Bull. I just put up an ebay auction with a bunch of CCG cards, though it looks like everyone here is pretty well set! Even still, if people are interested here's the link from the other thread I started...

http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewI...E:IT&ih=014

I gave a lot of details, and no the cards aren't stolen >.< I will be attending Gen Con actually, so if someone here on the boards wins the auction I'd be more than happy to deliver it in person. The auction has over 1000 cards with about 300 different titles (that's over 1000 cards total, among which there are more than 300 unique titles).

@Adamu. I have some experience in the hotel industry (having worked in limited service hotels for four years) and if you have any questions or inquiries or need some help please feel free to drop me a line. It looks like you've got things covered for the most part (didn't know you would need insurance for the alcohol, most people in limited service hotels BYoB), but if there are any loose ends I'd be more than happy to help smile.gif
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Dumpshock Forums © 2001-2012