Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: SRTCG Party - Dumpshock Meet & Great
Dumpshock Forums > Discussion > Convention Information
Pages: 1, 2, 3
adamu
Well, unsurprisingly, there is apparently no Shadowrun Trading Card Game happening (officially) at GenCon.

But some of us still love the game.

Myself and fellow DSer Jack Robustus will be playing SRTCG from Midnight on Friday night in my room at the Hilton. We'd love to have a larger game. If anyone else is interested in joining us, let me know.

We will also have lots of spare decks (though if you are responding to this post, you probably don't need one).

Editing time and location into this first post by request/for easy reference:

Downtown Hilton
Circle City 3 is the room.
Friday night from 2300 to Saturday morning at 0700 - and if anyone actually stays up and plays that long I'll...well, I won't do anything cuz I will be in bed before then!

The above information is CONFIRMED as of 8/12/08.
Fortune
Do you play online using CCG Workshop?
john_doe
I am responding and i don't have a deck. However i seem to enjoy all things shadowrun, so i am sure i would like this game.

Did the TCG die off or something?
Caine Hazen
I believe that I'd be down for this. We shoul dmove it to tables in some hotel or another though if there seems to be enough interest (I'll make Bull come along too... plus at least 1 more guy who plays in my local group might be down for this.)

I'll bring enough cards to build a few extra decks.
john_doe
As long as it doesn't conflict with my "scheduled" events, i would be down for sure. smile.gif

A few of the peeps i'll be there with may be down as well.
adamu
QUOTE (Fortune @ Apr 21 2008, 11:19 AM) *
Do you play online using CCG Workshop?

Fie on computers!

(Says the forum game addict!)

No, heard of it, but never tried.

I seriously am technically challenged.

But if that is an invitation/challenge, PM me with how to get started...
adamu
QUOTE (john_doe @ Apr 21 2008, 02:39 PM) *
I am responding and i don't have a deck. However i seem to enjoy all things shadowrun, so i am sure i would like this game.

Did the TCG die off or something?

Died dead in its tracks right after the first booster series came out.

I wept and gnashed my teeth, heart aching for the (planned) second series of cards.

As I said, we will have many a deck to share.
adamu
QUOTE (Caine Hazen @ Apr 21 2008, 06:10 PM) *
I believe that I'd be down for this. We shoul dmove it to tables in some hotel or another though if there seems to be enough interest (I'll make Bull come along too... plus at least 1 more guy who plays in my local group might be down for this.)

I'll bring enough cards to build a few extra decks.

Great - more the merrier! As I said, we'll be at the Hilton - it's my first GenCon - how amenable is the staff to giving us a space with tables in the wee hours after the official events are over?

As for building extra decks - since the idea is not to start until Midnight, it might be better to have pre-built some extras, which we plan to do, just to save time!
adamu
QUOTE (john_doe @ Apr 21 2008, 06:50 PM) *
As long as it doesn't conflict with my "scheduled" events, i would be down for sure. smile.gif

No way it can conflict, since it is at midnight (we are booked pretty solid with events ourselves).
Critias
I'm always up for trying some new (to me) Shadowrun fun.
adamu
QUOTE (Critias @ Apr 22 2008, 09:55 AM) *
I'm always up for trying some new (to me) Shadowrun fun.

Then count yourself in!

Fortune
QUOTE (adamu @ Apr 22 2008, 11:24 PM) *
Fie on computers!

(Says the forum game addict!)

No, heard of it, but never tried.

I seriously am technically challenged.

But if that is an invitation/challenge, PM me with how to get started...

Not necessarily a challenge, as I've never actually played via computer, not to mention I haven't played the actual card game in about 8 years or so. But check this place out. It is a site that hosts all kinds of games, and with a little digging can tell you more than I could. Then get back to me. biggrin.gif
john_doe
QUOTE (adamu @ Apr 22 2008, 09:30 AM) *
No way it can conflict, since it is at midnight (we are booked pretty solid with events ourselves).

Excellent. Then consider myself in. Sounds good to me.
Bull
QUOTE (adamu @ Apr 22 2008, 08:26 AM) *
Died dead in its tracks right after the first booster series came out.

I wept and gnashed my teeth, heart aching for the (planned) second series of cards.

As I said, we will have many a deck to share.

I wouldn;t say right after, really. But it was a few months after, anyways. :/

And yeah, I had been really looking forward to Corp War. We were playtesting Corp War and having a lot of fun with it when it got cancelled, and I'm really sad that I lost the playtest files for them years ago frown.gif
Alicia
My friend boost and I would like to play, at least for a while (we gm SR at 8am the next morning). I have many multiple decks, as well as instructions. And one of every card published.

It's a great game! I think it's as close to the tabletop game as a cardgame can be.

Where exactly are we meeting at the Hilton?

adamu
QUOTE (Alicia daughter of Alachia @ Apr 23 2008, 11:12 PM) *
Where exactly are we meeting at the Hilton?

Well, it WAS going to be in my room, but judging by the response we have gotten so far on this thread, even if half of you get lured away to bars or other nefarious pursuits, we might have too many for that.
I am currently looking into alternatives, such as Caine suggested.
It's my first GenCon - if anyone is hip to tips on getting a small space with a table or two, do speak up.

One way or another - Cards On!
adamu
AND...He's back 15 minutes later with a big conference room reserved at the Hilton. I asked for three tables that seat six each for starters, but I can up that if I need to (doubt it'll come to that, but would hate to turn anyone away).

I'll have the exact room number up once the paperwork goes through, and it will also be listed publicly with the hotel.
boost
QUOTE (adamu @ Apr 24 2008, 10:24 AM) *
AND...He's back 15 minutes later with a big conference room reserved at the Hilton. I asked for three tables that seat six each for starters, but I can up that if I need to (doubt it'll come to that, but would hate to turn anyone away).

I'll have the exact room number up once the paperwork goes through, and it will also be listed publicly with the hotel.

so does this mean it is now an official event, and we need to buy tickets?? i don't care but i just want to make sure i have generics to get in (i usually don't us or buy any)
DireRadiant
I'm surprised the hotel has conference rooms available.
john_doe
QUOTE (DireRadiant @ Apr 24 2008, 02:51 PM) *
I'm surprised the hotel has conference rooms available.

me as well, although i didn't see too many events scheduled that late.
the_dunner
Because of the enormous demand for events during peak hours, when you get off-peak, there's almost always space available.
adamu
QUOTE (boost @ Apr 24 2008, 10:59 AM) *
so does this mean it is now an official event, and we need to buy tickets?? i don't care but i just want to make sure i have generics to get in (i usually don't us or buy any)

Umm, no, I don't think so. Not unless GenCon LLC reaches out with some mysterious Orwellian hand and sucks me into its orbit.

Just a couple guys who love SRTCG wanting to get a good multi-player game going.

There will be a room to do it at the Hilton from around midnight on Friday.

Details to follow, everyone welcome, decks provided, all free of charge.
Bull
Yeah, if you're booking the rooms through the hotel, it's a private thing, and not a Gen Con thing.

Sounds good. I think I have a bunch of sealed packs kicking around from when StiggyBaby's was going out of business a couple years ago and selling boxes for like 10 bucks each (And I'm kicking myself hard for not buying a LOT more). I'll bring them along, maybe we can give em out as door prizes to folks who show, or maybe we can do a mini tourney or something.

Fun fact... The way I got involved with running events for FASA and Shadowrun back in the day was running a SRTCG tourney at Origins. Prize was a complete set of cards with a card box decorated by Mike "Skuzzy" Nielson and a bunch of signed cards smile.gif

If you can find out which conference room ahead of time,l that would be a big help. And I'm sure Caine and I can arrange for Bull's Rolling Bar & Grill to make an appearance. In fact, at Midnight on a Friday, I think it's mandatory! smile.gif

<grin>

We should also make this the semi-official Dumpshock Meet & Greet, if that's cool. smile.gif

Bull
Critias
I wouldn't mind buying a few of 'em off ya, Bull, just to have my own deck (or whatever) to take home at the end of the day, and rub in my friend's noses.

I mean, just to have my own deck to take home at the end of the day, and cherish forever.
Tobias
Hrm won't be going to Gencon but about stiggybaby having SRTCG on sale they still do and I believe they got stock in. I picked up a box of starters, box of boosters from base set and then a box of underworld for $110 plus shipping to the UK but still was fairly cheap. Link spoilered below
[ Spoiler ]
Bull
Ok, did a little digging, and I still have, sealed, 6 Starters, 9 regular Boosters, and 32 Underworld boosters. I'll talk to Caine and see what we can come up with. (And Critias, we'll get you hooked up, no sweat smile.gif)

I also have several thousand cards from when I was still collecting. I'll see about doing some sorting and organizing, and I'd be more than willing to donate some of the extras to the cause as well.

Bull
john_doe
I wish i had cards to contribute to the cause. All i can offer is to take up space, indulge in the drinking, and let you veterans beat up on a n00b.

But it's all in the name of Shadowrun, so i'm cool with it.
adamu
QUOTE (Bull @ Apr 24 2008, 11:52 PM) *
We should also make this the semi-official Dumpshock Meet & Greet, if that's cool. smile.gif

Bull

Wow, that would be cool. Would like to meet as many DSers as possible, but my event schedule is so full didn't know if I would. So that would be great.

Gee whiz - I started this thread just hoping for two or three people to round out a multi-player game. Seems to be becoming somewhat more stimulating than that!

For my part, I will be providing the room (I should be able to post the exact room number here well before the Con, and the hotel will have it on its list of events) and coming with several extra pre-made decks to loan any first-timers in an effort to get the actual games going in a timely manner (time is not unlimited, and SRTCG is not exactly one of those "quick duel" card games - quite the opposite, as you veterans know).

Beyond that, I reckon we leave any more elaborate organizational preparations in the capable hands of Bull!
Bull
I'm digging through my Box 'O Cards right now, and... Well, one, I probably have close to 3000 of the damn things, at least. Two, apparently when I moved back to Cleveland a few years ago, the cards must have gotten jumbled when I packed, cause there's a lot of unsorted mess. *sigh*

As for planning, bah, who needs that. We pick a time, we pick a place, we show up and drink booze and play cards till we pass out, someone kicks us out, or the sun comes up! smile.gif

(Or everyone wusses out for things like "sleep" smile.gif)

I would suggest that veterens of the game who have a ton of cards (Like me) remember that some of the folks who may show might be newbs, or might not have many cards to work with, so we should probably bring "fun" decks as opposed to "power" decks.
Bull
QUOTE (Tobias @ Apr 25 2008, 05:01 AM) *
Hrm won't be going to Gencon but about stiggybaby having SRTCG on sale they still do and I believe they got stock in. I picked up a box of starters, box of boosters from base set and then a box of underworld for $110 plus shipping to the UK but still was fairly cheap. Link spoilered below
[ Spoiler ]

Yeah, they still have some. Stiggy's got bought out before I could pick up any more at their uber clearance sale (Like I said, it was like $10 a box, and really, I should have bought a case of each. ahh well. The current price isn;t terrible, but... It's definately not great either. IIRC, one of the "Dead CCG" wholesalers at Gen Con has had boxes of SR cards for around $20 or $25, don;t remember offhand.

Bull
Caine Hazen
Last year at least one place had boxes of decks and boosters for the core at pretty damn cheap prices. I'm going to suggest a shopping trip Thursday to see if we can talk em down and grab quite a few. I don't have anything sealed, but I think I have about 3000+ cards (whatever size the 2 row boxes are anyway...with at least one 200 card deck holder full as well) Like Bull, mine need a desperate sort, so I'll likely go through them here soon and see if I have extras. Another guy around here recently bought a big collection as well (2000 or so) and should be heading out too, I'll see if I can convince him to make 2 or 3 decks at least... we should then have plenty decks to go around.

Hell, this does sound like a great DS meet and greet. We'll definitely roll up Bull's Mobile Bar & Grill for the festivities.
john_doe
Is there anywhere i can go to learn how to play before hand so i don't come across as a complete and total n00bster?
Bull
QUOTE (john_doe @ Apr 25 2008, 08:35 PM) *
Is there anywhere i can go to learn how to play before hand so i don't come across as a complete and total n00bster?

*points and laughs at the n00b!*

HOnestly, it's been a couple years now since I last even looked at my cards, so I'll need a refresher myself.

Anyways, a little digging shows a lot of dead and MIA SR TCG sites, but CCGWorkshop (Mentioned above) does have a decent page up that gives something of a solid overview.

http://www.ccgworkshop.com/games/sr/rules/overview.htm
john_doe
QUOTE (Bull @ Apr 25 2008, 10:01 PM) *
*points and laughs at the n00b!*

That's ok. i'll be pointin and laughin when beginner luck kicks in and i lay the beat down upon thy ass!!

QUOTE (Bull @ Apr 25 2008, 10:01 PM) *

That's perfect. Thanks a lot.
Critias
*clicks on a link, while pretending to be too cool to need to learn anything*
Jack Robustus
Damn adamu, you weren't kidding when you said this thing had taken on a life of its own!

Like Bull, I have a lot of cards. I also have a lot of pre-con theme decks (elf deck, dwarf deck, rigger deck, ganger deck, you get the idea) to give to new players. One great thing about this game is that every starter deck comes with a reference card that outlines the turn order and what the skill symbols mean. In that way it is pretty easy to pick up. I will bring a rule booklet and ref. card for every deck I bring.

As adamu pointed out, this is a slow game. If you want fast action play Magic the Geekering with the kiddies. Be prepared for a long, rewarding night.

If any of you have a request for a theme deck let me know and I'll be sure to bring along that type of deck or build one to match your desire. I prefer to bring old decks because it has been so long since I have played them I don't even remember what cards are in some of them. That way we can all be surprised.

By the way, who is bringing the nuyen.gif counters? We'll need a lot!
Bull
For counters, we usually just used a pile of those little d6's that we use for regular Shadowrun smile.gif
Jack Robustus
Another consideration, how many points do we want to play to? I typically build decks that play to 100. All of the pre-con decks I plan on bringing are built in this fashion.
Bull
QUOTE (Jack Robustus @ Apr 27 2008, 10:11 PM) *
Another consideration, how many points do we want to play to? I typically build decks that play to 100. All of the pre-con decks I plan on bringing are built in this fashion.

I'd go fewer points, so that we can play quicker games. Honestly, I'd say 50-60 points max. This will make it much easier for us to either teach the new players, or in my case, reacquaint myself with the game play a bit, and still get a couple games in without playing till 6 AM. I mean, yeah, we'll probably play till then anyways, but that's not the point! smile.gif
adamu
I'm with Bull on the 50-60 points, and for the same reasons (I do prefer 100-point games, but given the circumstances...we'll scratch the long-game itch in some two-player games, Jack).

Anyway, I have a feeling that given the venue we will see some more aggressive, bloodier games, which will go a lot faster than when people really dig in for the win.

As for counters, I will bring my tupperware bin of actual yen coins, but that'll probably not be enough for everyone if we have several tables going.
Bull
QUOTE (adamu @ Apr 28 2008, 09:42 AM) *
As for counters, I will bring my tupperware bin of actual yen coins, but that'll probably not be enough for everyone if we have several tables going.

That is just Awesome smile.gif
Vegas
I'm tempted to stop by just to say hi to everyone since it sounds like quite the place to catch up with the DSF'ers biggrin.gif
adamu
There goes the neighborhood!
Vegas
Damn skippy! But I like crashing private parties wink.gif
adamu
Well, it's a far cry from a private party at this point!

And now that you've said you'll stop by, I shall be officially disappointed if you don't.

(Though we should arrange some other time to actually sit down and talk, since I fear it might not be the best venue for conversation - boys and their games and all that!)
Fortune
Damn! I wanna come, but it's kinda hard to hitch-hike from Oz.
adamu
Well, I'm going....
Fortune
So pick me up on the way.
adamu
Touche.

Unfortunately it actually turns out I'll be flying over from Europe.

Otherwise, I would pick you up, of course.

Actually - there are probably enough DSers that want to meet the legendary Immoral Elf that you should try taking up a collection!!!
Fortune
Hmmm ...

Alms! Alms for the poor elf ...
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Dumpshock Forums © 2001-2012