Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Your Stock Commlinks
Dumpshock Forums > Discussion > Shadowrun
Slymoon
How much do you spend for a standard commlink setup.
Do you start with the min. 300 (nuyen) + software (and what and how much spent there)
1000 + software, or more?
2 or more setups?
ICE?

The general question is as if you were making a starting character to go into a public game. What do you set up your character with in order to be sufficiently connected and protected.
(Thinking from a low cash starting Runner, how much do you budget.)

Rules:
1. Non Hacker/ Rigger.
2. No 'free' software from the teams hacker
3. From Char Gen.
Tarantula
One 300¥ comlink that only is for external communication. Another one rating 3 or so with skinlink for pan connectivity (such as cybereyes, smartlinks, contacts, etcs) with all attachments skinlinked as well. Skinlink com always runs hidden. (In other words, less than 5,000 for both, probably more like 3-4k total).
CanRay
Well, if I was making Drug Dealin' Dickie. wink.gif
KCKitsune
I maybe stupid, but I always go with the Response 5/Signal 5/Firewall 6 Cybercommlink and then get a sink linked MetaLink so that if I go into an area that needs my commlink to be Active I can use that to spoof any security. If I need to use my real commlink (the cyber one, of course) then I use Spoof to make everyone think the signal is coming from the visible 'link.
NativeRigger
QUOTE (Tarantula @ Apr 21 2008, 12:35 PM) *
Another one rating 3 or so with skinlink for pan connectivity (such as cybereyes, smartlinks, contacts, etcs) with all attachments skinlinked as well. Skinlink com always runs hidden. (In other words, less than 5,000 for both, probably more like 3-4k total).

I was under the impression that cyberware still had the old fashioned DNI linkages so that any cyberware or skinlinked system didn't need to be part of a PAN.

-NR
Cthulhudreams
I usually spend a chunk of change for a commlink with Navi for a sort of 4/4/lowest signal I can find/4 commlink (or as close as I can get) with an R3 agent, and all common programs that can benift an agent at R3, and often with decrypt and maybe attack ontop of that for a non hacker character. This always runs hidden and often has wireless off.

I have a 1/1/2/1 el cheap commlink thats skinlinked to the one with the agent as my external facing.

That allows a non hacker to throw 6 dice at matrix tasks without much expense, and allows strong layered protection by flicking the offswitch on the external facing commlink - which severs outside connections, but keeps my gear running.
Tarantula
QUOTE (NativeRigger @ Apr 21 2008, 10:02 PM) *
I was under the impression that cyberware still had the old fashioned DNI linkages so that any cyberware or skinlinked system didn't need to be part of a PAN.

-NR

Correct. Skinlinked, for things such as contacts (to be able to display your AR) cybereyes (again, so they can display the AR feed from the comlink) or smartlinks.
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Dumpshock Forums © 2001-2012