Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Full Mages and the Elemental arms race
Dumpshock Forums > Discussion > Shadowrun
Pages: 1, 2
Zeittotschlager
I'm playing in my first Shadowrun campaign, and our group has been plagued by a lack of a Full Mage who can regularly make the meetings. Unfortunately, it seems that any target worth hitting in the SR universe is going to have magical security as well as physical. This would be okay if it were not for the overwhelming power of Elementals.

An enemy Full Mage almost ALWAYS has 6 big ass elementals shielding him and attacking our poor street sams, adepts, and shamans.

So, I've been looking through my SR3 book for SOME way to effectively combat Elementals without HAVING TO HAVE 6 OF OUR OWN... But there seems to be no other way.

It strikes me as rather unbalancing... I know elementals are expensive, so in theory they should be rather rare... But Corp Mages are not going to balk at a measly 1k per force.

So should we just fight fire with fire and get another Full Mage, or is there some other way?

Thanks

-Z
Jason Farlander
Laser weapons and flame throwers will pop elementals pretty easily, except for fire elementals in the latter case. A water cannon should work as well, as the difference between physical and stun damage matters little with spirits. If you have the cash, weapon foci for the groggies. Depending on your GM, cold-forged iron weapons might also work as a low-cost option (they constitute "elemental metal" as far as I'm concerned).

If you have a shaman, a spirit with the concealment power is your friend. The *best* way to fight elementals is to not have to.
Zeittotschlager
Thanks for the info. Where did you read about lasers and iron swords being effective? We are only using the info that comes in the SR3 core book, and I don't recall seeing that.

I'm not sure how our GM would react to all of us suddenly sporting Flamethrowers and Lasers, but it'd be a laugh. biggrin.gif

Anybody have thoughts on magical ways to deal with big groups of elementals without elementals of your own? A big battle with 6 elementals on either side REALLY slows down the action.

-Z
moosegod
Well, you can have a shaman just keep whipping up nature spirits as the spirits get cacked.

And engage the elementals in battles of wills, if you have a high enough willpower.
The Cheshire Penguin
Do some reconaisance work first and find out where the mage is. Use your decker or some other contact to find out where the mage works (his office in the complex, or wherever he does his regular rounds). Assuming you're going in with guns blazing (which really isn't the best way) shoot the mage first. No mage, no elementals -- pg. 113 of MitS says that spirits or elementals with a force greater than 6 generally become free spirits when the mage kacks out, and a bunch of free elementals can raise a lot of hell. Also, I can see there maybe being 6 elemental doing patrols around a fairly large compound. But not all in one place, and not all around the mage. A corp isn't going to skimp of the summoning materials, sure, but hiring a full mage is expensive as hell, and most complexes you run across shouldn't have a full mage. In the 'normal' shadowrun world, full mages are super rare, and you're much more likely to come across a sorcerer or a conjurer than a full mage. If you keep running into these full mages with packs of elementals, cook up a spell called 'slaughter elementals' -- area affect spell that deals deadly damage to elementals. At force 6, such a spell should have a drain of 4D, but if you make it exclusive and make it require a fetish, it's only got a drain of 2D. When you come across a group of elementals, -POW!- vegm.gif
Zazen
QUOTE (Jason Farlander)
If you have a shaman, a spirit with the concealment power is your friend. The *best* way to fight elementals is to not have to.

Unfortunately concealment isn't very effective against elementals. It is a physical power, meaning that it has no effect on the astral sight that all elementals possess. Sneaking past spirits is really quite tough.

On the topic, I can really understand this complaint; mages are freaking powerful when unchecked by an opposing mage. Even your best options won't be extremely effective against armies of "big ass elementals". You just have to slug it out the hard way.

If it's getting to be a real pain in the ass, ask your GM to try some more variety with his threats. I imagine it'd get boring to have to fight a hoarde of elementals every game.
Moonwolf
Geek the mage first. All the elementals will be released, and probably leave then.
Zeittotschlager
Lol.. I like the Slaughter Elementals option... smile.gif

Battles of Wills don't usually work out for our boys... We're all first time Shadowrun players, so we probably could have done a better job during character creation.

I might have to mention to our GM about the rarity of Full Mages at typical installations, cuz they sure don't SEEM that rare...

Would the Magic in the Shadows book have the rules for creating a spell for slaying Elementals in particular? The GM has the book, but we really haven't gotten into it yet. Still getting the hang of the system.

Thanks a lot guys.

-Z
The Cheshire Penguin
MitS has the full rules on spell creation, as well as the specific spell "Slaughter (Race/Species)" on pg. 140. You could either research the spell formula on your own, or buy the full version of slaughter elementals on the street for 12,000 nuyen.gif (that includes the street index) with an availability of 6/7 days,
or the restricted version of the spell that I mentioned for a paltry 6,000 nuyen.gif and an availability of 3/7 days.
lodestar
A physad with killing hands is also good, particularly if he has distance strike , even better if he can astrally percieve. Killing hands bypasses an elemental's immunity to normal weapons.
Backgammon
QUOTE (Zeittotschlager)
Battles of Wills don't usually work out for our boys... We're all first time Shadowrun players, so we probably could have done a better job during character creation.

Haha, I know exactly what you mean!

"Sha..ris..ma? What's that?"
"Ah, you're a sammy, you don't need that"
"ok!"

later...

"the guard asks you what you'Re doing here. Roll negociation"
I look at sheet, pick up 2 die... roll double ones..

Anyway, that's the end of this distraction. Since I feel bad about not saying anything useful, here's my advice:

Elementals have to stay pretty close to their master. That's a weakness. A good sniper can stay safe from that, or, arrange to have the protecting mage be seperated from his VIP (not an easy task, but doable). You don't need a whole lot of distance, really.
Tanka
Your GM is obviously just trying to make your PC's lives a living Hell. If the Mage is an Ork or a Troll, tell your GM he's full of it and that he couldn't have 6 Elementals because of the max Cha on those two races. If not, well, remind him of the rule.

If he continues to even after you mention how stupid and repetitive it is, there are several options I see.
  • Slaughter Elemental as mentioned earlier
  • Stop playing while he's GM
  • Do something to completely avoid the Elementals every time, and make him roll for everything
If he is just throwing them at you because he likes them and he wants to kill you off, dump him as a GM, it isn't worth it.

There are other ways to geek entire parties besides 6 Elementals. Tell him to get original.
gknoy
QUOTE (Zeittotschlager)
Where did you read about lasers and iron swords being effective?

I don't know about the laser weapons, but the iron weapons thing has basis in common mythology. In many cultures, iron is seen as especially effective for binding, hurting, or protection from creatures with a magical nature. For example, in celtic mythos, magical things (enchanted islands (read about the Orkneys sometime smile.gif), faeries, etc) can be held in place with iron stakes, or hurt with iron weapons. I don't think steel counts.

Why iron? The best explanation I've heard (and I think this was actually from the Changeling game wink.gif) was something along the lines of magical things being of an ephemeral, transcendental, (at least semi-)spiritual nature, and thus iron, being the epitome of something down-to-earth and physical, would be especially harmful to them.

In SR, there's probably something in one of the MANY books I've never read (darn!) that explicitly says iron weapons are effective. wink.gif I'd say that if your characters know any bladesmiths, they can probably forge an iron weapon; won't hold as durable an edge as steel, and might break, and will be very heavy, but if you know you gotta stab an elemental, you might want one. (Or, decide to take a permanent vacation to Someplace Else wink.gif)
Prospero
They can get pretty far away, actually - (CHA+WILL+Magic)x 10 Meters. So you'll have to be pretty far to be out of the area they can roam around in, probably farther than you can get and still be inside of the corp compound. I think others have said everything else useful, but I'll reiterate what I think are the most usefull:

Make sure your GM understands how rare full mages are and how expensive elementals are to have around (in terms of time and money - summoning 6 elementals of decent force is going to take at least two full workdays for the mage, probably more).

Physads, weapon foci, oh my! These things can kick elemental ass if in the right hands.

Elemental damage. Hard to prepare for in terms of every single type of elemental, but effective if you can pull it off.

Another good thing to do against elementals is to summon up a bunch of watchers and sick the little buggers on the elementals. They aren't really going to do much damage, but they can distract the elementals for a while and help in any of the above tactics. Ask your GM to show you the watcher thing in MitS (in the Sprits chapter).
moosegod
Actually, this all comes down the the elemental vulnerabilities

Earth is vulnerable to air
Fire is vulnerable to water
Water is vulnerable to earth
Air is vulnerable to fire.

So find weapons that somehow fill those spots. It seem like cold steel would work wonderfully for the "earth" requirement.
Ol' Scratch
If I'm not mistaking, by the rules elementals are not immune to their own element. A flamethrower is just as effective against a fire elemental as it is an earth elemental, though it's most effective against water elementals (since they have a Vulnerability to it).
moosegod
Right.

That is true. However, some GM's have ruled the opposite.

eg. It's a house rule, so extinguish.gif
Cheese Emperor
And uh, how'd you come to that set of vulnerabilities moosegod?
Dende
In chinese Mythos, and other asian, mostly because they spread around... Iron pins were driven into demons and dragons to stop them from all magical ability, the pin disrupted their magical flow... Given that, I woud assume Iron a damned good weapon against creatures like demons, dragons, and oni...etc\

And moosegod's vunerablites and not unlike many old stories...and current vuners of elemental dragons in Exalted.
moosegod
QUOTE (Cheese Emperor)
And uh, how'd you come to that set of vulnerabilities moosegod?

SR3.
Cheese Emperor
Works for me.
Tanka
I thought it was:

Earth:Air
Fire:Water

Vice versa as well, obviously.
moosegod
I should say, that was from memory. I don't have the book in front of me.
Tanka
My vulnerabilities sound more like it, not because I said it, but because they make sense.

Fire evaporates water.
Water douses fire.

Between Earth and Air, it was just because Fire and Water are polar opposites anyways. nyahnyah.gif
Birdy
QUOTE (gknoy)
QUOTE (Zeittotschlager)
Where did you read about lasers and iron swords being effective?

I don't know about the laser weapons, but the iron weapons thing has basis in common mythology. In many cultures, iron is seen as especially effective for binding, hurting, or protection from creatures with a magical nature. For example, in celtic mythos, magical things (enchanted islands (read about the Orkneys sometime smile.gif), faeries, etc) can be held in place with iron stakes, or hurt with iron weapons. I don't think steel counts.

Why iron? The best explanation I've heard (and I think this was actually from the Changeling game wink.gif) was something along the lines of magical things being of an ephemeral, transcendental, (at least semi-)spiritual nature, and thus iron, being the epitome of something down-to-earth and physical, would be especially harmful to them.

In SR, there's probably something in one of the MANY books I've never read (darn!) that explicitly says iron weapons are effective. wink.gif I'd say that if your characters know any bladesmiths, they can probably forge an iron weapon; won't hold as durable an edge as steel, and might break, and will be very heavy, but if you know you gotta stab an elemental, you might want one. (Or, decide to take a permanent vacation to Someplace Else wink.gif)

Actually, iron weapons are less prone to breaking (unless you make them from cast iron) and more prone to bending. Celtic warriors where known to step on their swords to flatten them again.

Iron being useful against the fairy folks most likely steems (historically) from the late bronze age / agricultural civilisations being contacted by (and afraid of) iron/steel (used interchangeable) wielding civilisations.

Side notes:

The Irish hate/fear the feyes
I plead for a Moderate Allergy:Iron for all elves

Birdy
IcyCool
Ways to deal with elementals:

Banishment

Watcher dogpack

Weapons employing the opposing element

Weapon foci and a decent combat skill

Stay home nyahnyah.gif
The Cheshire Penguin
pg. 266 in SR3: Air vulnerable to Earth and vice verca, Fire vulnerable to Water and vice verca. Though it's true that a fire elemental can be hurt with a flamethrower by the canon rules (ie. elementals are -not- immune to their own element), I would say the canon rules are silly in this case.
Tanka
Isn't there some sort of rule somewhere that says each time an elemental of the opposing nature kamikazes itself against the other elemental, both of their forces is reduced by the other's force?

I know I read it in SR2, but is it the same in 3?

If so, have your mage summon a whole truckload of Force 1 Elementals (or whatever he can handle safely and in a timely fashion) and start sending them to their premature demises.
Dogsoup
QUOTE (Doctor Funkenstein)
A flamethrower is just as effective against a fire elemental as it is an earth elemental, though it's most effective against water elementals (since they have a Vulnerability to it).

I'd certainly rather agree to this, than having earth elems even more immune to damage from objects made by mineral or metal *shudder*.

QUOTE (Tanka)
each time an elemental of the opposing nature kamikazes itself against the other elemental

Hehe, love that phrase smile.gif. I get this mental image of two elems throwing themselves at each other, screaming in little high-pitched voices:
"BAAAANZAI!"
"HIRETSUKAN!"
Cheese Emperor
Fastest way to lose 1 mil nuyen.gif I've ever heard of...
Jason Farlander
Ok lets see...

"Light" and "metal" are both listed as elemental effects for the purpose of elemental manipulation spell design in magic in the shadows, with "Laser" being a spell listed in the Grimoire section of that same book. Additionally, the text for the "metal" elemental effect says that creatures vulnerable to iron would take more damage from the spell, which indicates, to me at least, that the spell does, in fact, produce iron. The description of Immunity to Normal Weapons states that its only half effective against elemental attacks, and, since those effects can be produced by elemental manipulation spells, theyre elemental.

As for the concealment power, this is operating under the assumption that the mage doesnt have all of these elementals floating around nearby in astral space, but, rather, would have to call them. If you can sneak by the mage, you sneak by the elementals. If the mage has these elementals already called... thats another story (most likely the story wherein your GM is trying to kill you).

Steel isnt really elemental metal, as it is refined, processed, and mixed with other stuff (carbon). At least, thats my particular ruling on it.

Apparently Dr. F is correct about the elementals being susceptible to their own element... I don't really like it though (they can move through their element unhindered, afterall, as per the movement power).
Tanka
QUOTE (Dogsoup)
QUOTE (Tanka)
each time an elemental of the opposing nature kamikazes itself against the other elemental

Hehe, love that phrase smile.gif. I get this mental image of two elems throwing themselves at each other, screaming in little high-pitched voices:
"BAAAANZAI!"
"HIRETSUKAN!"

I burst out laughing as soon as I read that last part.

I mainly get an elemental doing a bird's eye view of the other elemental wearing goggles and a red scarf.

Wait, that's Snoopy. Nevermind.
Fortune
I'm still trying to figure out why the Shaman in the party can't help deal with them. Manabolts work wonders against Elementals.
moosegod
And spiritbolts work even better.
Ol' Scratch
No they don't. They work exactly the same against them. They just have an easier Drain.
moosegod
Right. And they work better because of that.
Fortune
No, they still work exactly the same. They are just easier to cast without causing yourself Drain. But Spiritbolt is a very specialized spell, whereas Manabolt is rather common, as it can affect a lot more than just Spirits.
moosegod
I know. I was trying to say that Spiritbolt is better for killing spirits because it has less drain. But forget it.
Ol' Scratch
I'd rather use Stunbolt/Stunball in most situations, myself. More versatile and same Drain... and against spirits, about the same effect.
Fortune
I was just about to say that. Or even Spiritball, as you can cast it while the Adept is in melee with the Spirit without fear of friendly casualties. smile.gif
Lilt
Don't forget area-effect spells. They may be hard to resist the drain from but giveng a group of the spirits a TN penalty is a nice start. A spiritblast means your allys can be in there fighting and you can still be raining spiritual deth upon them.

I agree that laser weapons are effectively elemental light weapons, and that fire elementals are technically effected by flamethrowers under the rules (although the guard power may help against that).

Also: how do your people fight? Can't you just shoot past whatever elemental hoard there to shoot the mage?
Kagetenshi
QUOTE (Backgammon)
Elementals have to stay pretty close to their master. That's a weakness. A good sniper can stay safe from that, or, arrange to have the protecting mage be seperated from his VIP (not an easy task, but doable). You don't need a whole lot of distance, really.

And that's when the mage sends a Fire Elemental with one service left on an Extended Service.

"Overwatch, come in... come in, Overwatch... hello?"

As for orks/trolls, remember, you can buy your charisma up further, something a corp elementalslinger would be doing.

But yes, snipe the mage before he/she knows you're there.

~J
Bearclaw
Spiritbolt/ball, or manabolt/ball the mage.
If you have a caster.
If not, get grenades/grenade launchers. Kill the mage, the elementals go free.
Yum Donuts
Or you could just remind your GM that 6 elementals is 36000 nuyen of expense (assuming they're all force 6). best option I'd have would be to make a mage with a trauma damper and a high charisma (an elf with exceptional atribute). so, get yourself an army of watcher spirits, no risk of drain with trauma damper, and have them follow while you astrally project to the compound, and let them slaughter as many elementals as you can find (remember friends in melee modifiers). then leave. keep that up for a week. see how long they can afford to shell out thousands of nuyen to replace things that get wiped daily.
Cain
The best way to fight magic is with magic. If you have an adept, get him a weapon focus-- that's the best spirit-killing machine you can find.

Immunity to normal weapons doesn't cover the elemental vulnerabilities, or really odd weapons. Tasers (which do electrical damage), Water cannons, flamethrowers, and lasers, all do non-normal types of damage; toxic waste can also do a number on spirits, although I wouldn't want to handle that stuff. Any active focus used as a bludegoning device will also bypass the immunity (e.g., if you have an active sustaining focus in the form of a stick, you can hit spirits with it and hurt them normally. You just don't get any of the advantages of a weapon focus).
Fortune
QUOTE (Yum Donuts)
Or you could just remind your GM that 6 elementals is 36000 nuyen of expense (assuming they're all force 6).

That's retail. If the corp, or mage involved uses Enchanting it gets a lot cheaper.
Moonstone Spider
I'm curious about something. How does this vulnerability to air work for an earth elemental?

Street Samurai: "I breathe on the Materialized Earth Elemental."
GM (Rolls dice) "Oooh! Medium wound to the elemental."
Kagetenshi
Blast spells, mostly.

~J
mfb
there was an adept power in Brainscan that could be used, here. the monks during one scene were physads with a 'flaming fist' power--added elemental effects to their unarmed attacks. as i recall, reverse-engineering their stats gave that power a .5pp cost; you could as easily get blast, lightning, or any other elemental effect.
tisoz
I like to use capsule rounds filled with 1) Air 2) Water 3) Earth. They count as elemental attack, and hopefully you have the right one loaded for a vulnerability. For some reason, I only face water elementals now.smile.gif

Area effect mana based spell is nice, too. Can use from astral, effective against spirits, lower drain than physical spell. Manaball, Spiritblast, even Stunball, because you are usually only disrupting them anyway.
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Dumpshock Forums © 2001-2012