Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: A clearly absurd question: What do you do post-3K Karma?
Dumpshock Forums > Discussion > Shadowrun
HentaiZonga
So, looking over the character advancement rules, it looks like a non-Awakened character will max out - getting all skills to 6, and all Attributes to their maximums - at around 3,000 Karma, give or take 10%.

What happens next? Assuming someone survives that long, what would someone do with any remaining Karma?

Save it up to re-buy Edge every time they hard-burn?
Fuchs
It's not so absurd, I think past groups of mine hit the 2K mark in SR3.

There's also qualities to buy, like martial arts, and edge is always a good investment for such people.
Kerberos
QUOTE (HentaiZonga @ Apr 24 2008, 06:19 AM) *
So, looking over the character advancement rules, it looks like a non-Awakened character will max out - getting all skills to 6, and all Attributes to their maximums - at around 3,000 Karma, give or take 10%.

What happens next? Assuming someone survives that long, what would someone do with any remaining Karma?

Save it up to re-buy Edge every time they hard-burn?

Start buying positive qualities, you should be able to burn many hundred karma on exceptional attribute, exceptional skill, buying the skills and attributes up and so forth. You should also get genetic optimization for all attributes and buy them up further.
Zak
If you seriously consider going for those numbers, everyone should roll with something magic.
Fortune
In my opinion, there is an endless list of Knowledge Skills, and it is impossible to max-out, or even dabble in every single one. That right there is an abundant field into which spare Karma should be sown.
Kerberos
Ohh and after you bought every other positive quality in the game, start lobying you GM to let you take Latent Awakening. Problem solved.
HentaiZonga
QUOTE (Kerberos @ Apr 24 2008, 12:35 PM) *
Ohh and after you bought every other positive quality in the game, start lobying you GM to let you take Latent Awakening. Problem solved.

g'heh.
Stahlseele
and don't forget magic, that's not capped and can go to the n'th degree
Wakshaani
QUOTE (Fortune @ Apr 24 2008, 11:34 AM) *
In my opinion, there is an endless list of Knowledge Skills, and it is impossible to max-out, or even dabble in every single one. That right there is an abundant field into which spare Karma should be sown.

Well, heck, by the last count I know of, there were 6809 languages in the world (And 2190 have had teh Bible translasted into them), and Shadowrun has at least two more, so, if you want to be Mr Polyglot, you could work on dumping Karma into 3 levels of each language. That should keep you busy for a while, even if you're learning Biochemistry and Lepidopterlogy on the side.
Adarael
QUOTE (Fuchs @ Apr 24 2008, 04:22 AM) *
It's not so absurd, I think past groups of mine hit the 2K mark in SR3.

There's also qualities to buy, like martial arts, and edge is always a good investment for such people.

No, it's still absurd. Just because you handed out that much karma doesn't mean it's not ridiculous.
I mean, if I painted myself blue and glued kittens to myself and then danced a polka, it wouldn't be made any less ridiculous if someone had already done it.
madmarvin
QUOTE (Wakshaani @ Apr 24 2008, 08:22 AM) *
Well, heck, by the last count I know of, there were 6809 languages in the world (And 2190 have had teh Bible translasted into them), and Shadowrun has at least two more, so, if you want to be Mr Polyglot, you could work on dumping Karma into 3 levels of each language. That should keep you busy for a while, even if you're learning Biochemistry and Lepidopterlogy on the side.

I am the wondrous wizard of Latin! I am a dervish of declension and a conjurer of conjugation, with a million hit points and maximum charisma!
Speed Wraith
You retire those characters and start a new campaign because you've been playing that one too long nyahnyah.gif
ravensmuse
QUOTE (madmarvin @ Apr 24 2008, 11:46 AM) *
I am the wondrous wizard of Latin! I am a dervish of declension and a conjurer of conjugation, with a million hit points and maximum charisma!

I vant to be Gygax! Ze level 27 Warrior Mage with a +5 Sword of...
Speed Wraith
QUOTE (ravensmuse @ Apr 24 2008, 12:09 PM) *
I vant to be Gygax! Ze level 27 Warrior Mage with a +5 Sword of...

Bah, I can't find a copy of the script and don't want to misquote the next line nyahnyah.gif Still, that's ten points for using a good reference with a gaming context! smile.gif
Drogos
QUOTE (Speed Wraith @ Apr 24 2008, 10:48 AM) *
You retire those characters and start a new campaign because you've been playing that one too long nyahnyah.gif

Indeed!!
ravensmuse
QUOTE (Speed Wraith @ Apr 24 2008, 12:28 PM) *
Bah, I can't find a copy of the script and don't want to misquote the next line nyahnyah.gif Still, that's ten points for using a good reference with a gaming context! smile.gif

That would be, "you get to be this guy!"
"The furry footed burrower!?"

One of my favorite episodes ever. Even my girlfriend quotes that one (well, actually her favorite is, "and candy starts spewiiiing out of its mouth!").
Speed Wraith
I pull out my trusty...mandolin!?
Synner667
QUOTE (HentaiZonga @ Apr 24 2008, 12:19 PM) *

What happens next depends on..
..Why they are 'Running and putting risking death on a regular basis, since someone who's accumulated that much karma should also have accumulated the trappings of such a powerful Character already - money, contacts, gear, spells, etc.

And, really, if they don't have any sort of longterm plan..
..The whole question of what to do next becomes moot - they should continue to do exactly as they do now, and not develop.
Aaron
It occurs to me that a character with 3000 Karma would have a Street Cred of 300 and a Public Awareness of 100. I reckon it'd be hard for her to get jobs and easy for her enemies to find and take care of her.
Adarael
Yeah, but taken on the face of it, Street Cred and Public Awareness rules are patently broken and in need of severe GM handholding. I don't think anyone can credibly argue counter to that.
CanRay
At that point, it's time to write your memoirs, and sell it as "Fiction" to the Trid Studios!
Moon-Hawk
QUOTE (CanRay @ Apr 24 2008, 12:22 PM) *
At that point, it's time to write your memoirs, and sell it as "Fiction" to the Trid Studios!

Nah, nobody would buy it. Too unbelievable. wink.gif
madmarvin
QUOTE (Speed Wraith @ Apr 24 2008, 11:28 AM) *

smile.gif

Thanks. Read it and it just fit way to easily...
CanRay
QUOTE (Moon-Hawk @ Apr 24 2008, 12:25 PM) *
Nah, nobody would buy it. Too unbelievable. wink.gif

Hense selling it as fiction. Even if it goes into the Bad B-Movie Trid shows, you'll still make enough to buy a new life. biggrin.gif
Rasumichin
QUOTE (Speed Wraith @ Apr 24 2008, 04:53 PM) *
I pull out my trusty...mandolin!?

Good that you mention it, when you have 3K+ karma, you can finally start buying all those Craft and Exotic Weapon skills.
Finally, time to learn both playing mellotron and wielding the kusari-gama.
Adarael
Or playing the Kusari-Mellotron.
Aaron
QUOTE (Adarael @ Apr 24 2008, 11:17 AM) *
Yeah, but taken on the face of it, Street Cred and Public Awareness rules are patently broken and in need of severe GM handholding. I don't think anyone can credibly argue counter to that.

You mean like the part where you can keep the public from finding out about you if you eat a baby every so often?
Adarael
Or the fact that if you gain enough karma on metaplanar quests, people will eventually make a TV show about you.
Or if you become a serial killer, people will recognize you on the street as being a serial killer, even if you never show your face.

Good guidelines. Bad hard rules.
Malicant
QUOTE (Aaron @ Apr 24 2008, 09:38 PM) *
You mean like the part where you can keep the public from finding out about you if you eat a baby every so often?

Good idea, in theory, but theory deintegrated itself the moment where eating babies increases your Notoriorety, which in turn increases your Public Awareness.

No matter, Street Cred, Notoriorety and Public Awareness are all "wing it" grey area, not cold, hard rules, easily ignored without any real consequences.
CanRay
Not in my Campaign. Get a rep for Baby Eating, and soon you'll be getting the jobs that Baby Eaters get. Hard, nasty, brutish, and low-paying.

But there'll be Babies on the BBQ!
Aaron
QUOTE (Malicant @ Apr 24 2008, 04:00 PM) *
Good idea, in theory, but theory deintegrated itself the moment where eating babies increases your Notoriorety, which in turn increases your Public Awareness.

Well, no, because then you buy off one Notoriety with two Street Cred. At least that's how I read it.
sunnyside
You could also give that extra karma to free spirits for all sorts of favors.

Though I'd say once you get a group to 1K in SR4 it's time to rev the engines and jump the shark.

Play Harlequins Back.

Kyoto Kid
...make good friends with a free spirit. You'll never be at a loss for a place to burn that excess karma you don't know how to spend.

I know of a couple three who would gladly take that karmic load off your hands grinbig.gif
Malicant
QUOTE (Aaron @ Apr 25 2008, 03:08 AM) *
Well, no, because then you buy off one Notoriety with two Street Cred. At least that's how I read it.

You don't get street cred easily, but gaining notoriorety is easy. Ask the elven samurai in my group. biggrin.gif
Fortune
Well, I think the point is that a person with 3000 Karma would already have 300 Street Cred according to canon, so I'm sure they can spare a couple of points.
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Dumpshock Forums © 2001-2012