Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Tokyo in the Shadows
Dumpshock Forums > Discussion > Welcome to the Shadows
Pages: 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11
Tabula Rasa
Neo-Tokyo - 04/23/2008 – 1140

"Hmm... what should it look like?" Kambei ponders out loud, "can you make it look like a delicate clockwork multitool?"

[ Spoiler ]
Fuchs
Neo-Tokyo - 04/23/2008 – 1140

"Of course I can. But that will take a bit of time. You can have the basic program right now, and I'll send you the custom skin for it later."

Rattler grins again.

"Now, about the price..."

A round of negotiation follows. Kambei isn't paying "full script kiddie retail", as Rattler calls it, but it's not free either. Rattler seems to enjoy the dealing too - no wonder, he's got the upper hand.
Tabula Rasa
Neo-Tokyo - 04/23/2008 – 1145

[ Spoiler ]

Kambei grins like a kid opening his birthday present as he reaches for the program and downloads it into his commlink. At the same moment he authorizes a ¥5,580 transaction into Rattler's bank account.

"Thanks, now I have something to do while riding on this Long Haul shit," he says, "this thing looks pretty high-end, I get the feeling I'm gonna get myself in trouble with this thing."
Fuchs
Neo-Tokyo - 04/23/2008 – 1145

Rattler grins, making a show of counting the ammo, cartoon style. Green old-fashioned bank notes flitter all over the place for a few seconds, until they fade.

"Of course you will. And I'll have to bail you out again. Ah, the perils of doing business with reckless young men!"

Rattler's icon theatrically shakes its head, the snake's body slithering and coiling.

"Just don't pick a high-security node first, ok? You might get in, but the rest of your programs are not yet up to snuff, and that would lead to serious trouble. Stick with easier stuff until you get the hang of it. Bye bye, Kambei-kun."

Rattler's icon disappears, then pops back in a few seconds later, looking more serious than usual.

"And, call me if you're in trouble before you're in too deep."

With that line, the hacker leaves.
Tabula Rasa
Neo-Tokyo - 04/23/2008 – 1940

“Yeah, I’ll let you know if I get myself into trouble. Thanks!�

Kambei sits down on his couch, holding his commlink. Maybe if I get good enough with this hacking business it’d be worth it to get this thing implanted.

He spends the rest of the day exploring the matrix with his new tool. He is tempted to get in over his head early but he refrains and spends the majority of his time probing and trying to make backdoors into weakly protected – and uninteresting – matrix nodes.

Around 18:30 he takes a shower, puts on some nice clothes, before changing his mind and putting on his subtly armored clothes. No need to take chances when the Yakuza could be looking for me… With that thought he grabs his Predator and an extra clip of ammo, strapping it on with the concealable holster before heading out to Celerity with the black account commlink deactivated in his pocket.
Fuchs
Neo-Tokyo - 04/23/2008 – 1940

Celerity looks the same as when Kambei visited for the first meeting. There even are some of the same guests he noticed the last time - like the gaijin/japanese couple. The man is leering at some dancer in skimpy clothes gyrating on a small stage, and the woman is trying to act as if she does not care. No sign of the White Oni, or that tall woman.

Kambei notices though that the staff pays closer attention to him this time - either it's the gun, or Shin Masura heard about the Yakuza. Maki, the "waitress" appears quickly, bows deeply, and asks him to follow her to the VIP section. Mr. Tanaka is expected to arrive soon.

Kambei follows her, and is led to a private room again. Maki asks if he'd like a drink before bowing, and leaving.
Tabula Rasa
Neo-Tokyo - 04/23/2008 – 1945

Kambei rolls his eyes when he sees the gaijin staring, probably couldn’t handle a proper Japanese woman if he tried…

Once in the VIP section he sits down and accepts Maki’s offer and requests a soda water with a splash of lime. He loosens his jacket and angles himself so he can see the entrance, just in case as he waits for Mr. Tanaka to arrive.
Fuchs

Maki doesn't take long, and returns with Kambei's orders, putting it on the small table with a fluid motion that hints at more. Bowing again, she disappears anew. The room's private node contacts Kambei, offering selection of music of various styles.

A bit later, Maki leads Mr. Tanaka in. He looks slightly different - a bit more nervous than at the first meeting, and sits down stiffly on the cushion opposite Kambei. Hi greeting bow is as perfect as before though, and he seems to lose his nervousness during the following chitchat about the weather.

FInally, he comes to the point, after about 10 minutes, and asks about the commlink.
Tabula Rasa

Kambei takes the non-descript commlink out of his pocket and puts it down on the table in front of him and slides it over to Mr. Tanaka with his trigger finger.

“That’s your commlink he says,� he says. Kambei then takes a second item out of his pocket – this one much smaller – and places it on the table where the commlink was a moment ago.

“And this is…� he hesitates as he speaks, “this is what Ahiko went through during her captivity.� He taps his finger a few times on the small data chip and then continues, “I had the opportunity to download this from her commlink before getting rid of the p-fix. She will not remember any of it.�

He continues to hold the chip in front of him wondering if Mr. Tanaka is even interested – or whether he even wants the chip – or whether he just wants to get out of here now that he has the commlink.

“Now, I hesitate to ask this, but I must. Are you aware of the extent of this situation?�
Fuchs

Mr. Tanaka stares at the chip as if it was a poison pill, but takes it as well. He ask for a few minutes, probably looking the content over. His face is not moving but for the muscles of his jaw, which tense up.

Then he looks up at Kambei.

"Please explain."
Tabula Rasa
Neo-Tokyo - 04/23/2008 – 1955

“Please understand, before I explain, that you requested that I find a missing girl – likely a runaway – and the commlink she stole from her family. As such those were my only goals and I only did what investigation was required to achieve those goals as soon as possible.

He waits for confirmation that Mr. Tanaka understands before he continues, “she was kidnapped by the Yakuza who hired a zoku to seduce her and bring her to them. The commlink was not their target and it was only taken by the zoku as an extra bonus. They did not manage to hack it before I got my hands on it.

“When the Yakuza got Ahiko, they implanted her with a commlink, hot sim module and cybereyes and then they eliminated the zoku – almost entirely. They programmed her with a subservient p-fix, nothing fancy, and then… well, you saw what they did to her.

“I do not know whether they have a copy of the recording, but I imagine they must. I do not know why they did what they did, but they clearly have a specific aim as there is no money to be made from something like that. The Yakuza can find far better uses for a p-fixed girl and they wouldn’t bother going through all that effort to get just any girl.�

He waits again for all that to sink in and then continues, “Please understand, I do not believe this is the end of it. They tried to lure me into a trap after the extraction, and I do not see how they would just drop this after the resources they have expended.�
Fuchs
Neo-Tokyo - 04/23/2008 – 2030

Mr. Tanaka's face is a frozen mask. He has nodded several times during Kambei's report, now he takes his time, most likely thinking this over - or conferring with others. Turning his attention back to Kambei after several minutes, he asks if the later has any proof that there was a personafix implanted into Ahiko. Mr. Tanaka doesn't seem to doubt Kambei's story, so he probably needs something more tangible than Kambei's word not for himself, but for someone else - or something else.

Tabula Rasa

“I can’t get you any real proof. The best I can do is the comm logs from when the data was erased, but that isn’t very solid. My priority was getting her commlink wiped clean so they wouldn’t just fry her brain and turn her into a vegetable.

“Maintaining the crime scene was not a priority.�
Fuchs

Mr. Tanaka takes another "break", for a few minutes again. The soothing music is the only thing that breaks the silence during this time.

Mr. Tanaka then apologises for the breach of protocoll, since that's not how business is usually done here, and offers Kambei a job to do exactly that - gather proof that Ahiko was acting under the influence of an unvoluntarily implanted persona-fix, and on whose orders. Payment, should Kambei agree to this, would be handled through Masura-san, who is already informed - Masura will also, as expected, pay him for the recovery of Ahiko and the commlink, after this meeting.

Mr. Tanaka looks at Kambei, waiting for his answer.
Tabula Rasa

Kambei thinks it over for a few moments before responding, “very well. I will accept your proposal, however, I need to make sure one thing is understood very clearly.

“I may not be able to find this information without resorting to…� Kambei searches for the right word, “irrevocable actions that may earn great enmity from the Yakuza. I will of course do whatever is necessary to get your information if you wish to proceed.

“Additionally, if you require, I can take the necessary steps to deliver retribution to the responsible parties for their infractions against your family if the opportunity presents itself. Of course, that would be above and beyond our agreement for the proof.�
Fuchs

Mr. Tanaka makes it clear that he only expects Kambei to procure proof, not any retribution. He also stresses that he expects Kambei to make sure that there will be no clues left that point towards him during this run - as he puts it "with such a violent life as those people lead, it is very likely other families will act violently against them. It must be hard for them to know who is acting against them with so many possibilities."

In other words: Don't get caught, and frame other criminals if you must.

Mr. Tanaka watches Kambei for his reaction.
Tabula Rasa

Kambei is surprised by Mr. Tanaka's response but h tries not to show it. "Very well, I'll do as you have asked."

What kind of a family would turn down the opportunity to seek retribution against the people who have so gravely dishonored their family.

"This job may take longer than the previous one if I am to do it completely undetected."
Fuchs

Mr. Tanaka nods.

"I understand, and expected as much. However, there will be a bonus if results are procured within 5 days."

Mr. Tanaka chats a bit more, but it's mainly a polite way to ask Kambei if there's anything more, and to allow him to leave of his own volution, and not being dismissed.
Tabula Rasa
Neo-Tokyo - 04/23/2008 – 2035

After the necessary amount of polite conversation, Kambei takes his leave, stating that he will attempt to get him the information within the initial five day period.

He then heads to where he would expect to discuss payment with Shin Masura. Hopefully they are a bit more generous now that they know they are dealing with the Yakuza.
Fuchs
Neo-Tokyo - 04/23/2008 – 2045

Maki meets Kambei outside the room, still in the VIP section, and leads him to Shin's office. The fixer greets Kambei, taking less time for idle talk than Mr. Tanaka, and pays him the 7'500 Nuyen for the first job.

The offer for the second job is indeed more generous - double the money, and double the bonus.
Tabula Rasa
Neo-Tokyo - 04/23/2008 – 2050

Kambei accepts the payment for the previous job and accepts the offer for the second job. ¥10,000 was definitely worth this and the bonus would be hard to get, but an extra ¥5,000 would be nice. I can get a lot of programs with that kind of nuyen even after I pay my bills.

He excuses himself from Masura's office and heads outside, thanking Maki for her hospitality. He notes the time and how long he has before the expected Long Haul crash. 4/26/2008 - 0600, i need to make sure I'm home then, or I'll need to take another dose. He shuddered at the thought of trying to make it through another dose without going a bit crazy.

Before heading out, Kambei dials Aoi and Ayaka to see what they are up to.
Fuchs
Neo-Tokyo - 04/23/2008 – 2050

Ayaka and Aoi are hanging out at the university, as Kambei hears when he calls - there's a sort of race going on between members of the Tokyo Motor Club on campus, and half the students are watching. The race pits self-built or tuned mini-bikes against each other on a course that's all but an obstacle course, all over the campus - and even some of its buildings.

A quick peek into the matrix reveals a few live feeds to Kambei - the Motor Club has set up an extensive drone network to cover the whole race. While their drones focus on the racers, another student has set up a "girls watch" feed, and just zooms from one girl to another among the spectators. Ayaka and Aoi also make an apperance there.
Tabula Rasa
Neo-Tokyo - 04/23/2008 – 2055

Kambei tells Aoi and Ayaka to have fun and to call him if they wanted to do something before heading back home.

He wasn't really sure where to start but he was sure a little bit of work on the matrix and maybe a quick conversation with Rattler for some hacking advice would set him on the right road.

This is going to be a great opportunity to see if I can get some good use out of my hacking programs.
Fuchs

Ayaka and Aoi expect to be on campus this evening - this seems to be a first-class social event for students. Tomorrow night they'll be around though.

Still no news about a dead Kouki, not in Kambei's newsbox, in any case. But Rattler is around, in the matrix at least.

"Yes, Kambei-Kun? How can I help you?"
Tabula Rasa

"I got a new job. I need to find proof that Ahiko was p-fixed and find out who did it," Kambei says, "I figured I'd ask you about what you saw in her commlink before I did anything else."

"Did you see any other info when you were wiping her p-fix? Anything that would count as proof, or maybe some data on who did it?" he asks, and then clarifies, "I mean I know who did it, I just need some sort of proof."
Fuchs
Neo-Tokyo - 04/23/2008 – 2115

Rattler's icon looks pensive, as if mulling this over - but if Rattler is going over his records of that event, or is using the time to flirt in a chat room somewhere else is of course impossible to say. But when he speaks he's as serious as he gets.

"Nothing that would count as proof - my logs are as easily altered as my spoofed ID, you know. But what I noticed is that the persona-fix did fit Ahiko's baselines very well. They didn't take a "Slutty School Girl" chip from a bunraku parlor and slotted it, they customised the persona so it would be as close to Ahiko's real character as possible while still making her enjoy those acts. Justification, doubts, and other traces that make the thing appear real, not artificial.

That's not something everyone can do, and not cheap either. For this sort of work, you either go to those who supply the most expensive bunraku parlors with chipped personalities more real than the original, or you go to Simsense producers, those who finetune the simtracks of the actors for maximum emotional impact, not the hacks who just crank them up to BTL levels.

Of course, those are just the ones who manufactured the persona - the ones who ordered it done would be the yakuza in charge of the operation."

Rattler seems to know something about simsense and illicit business, but then, he knows something about a great many topics.
Tabula Rasa

Kambei scratches the back of his head in frustration, “this thing gets more complicated by the second. And how do you know all this anyway? Don’t tell me you were a simsense producer before you went to the shadows!�

“With all kidding aside, looks like I’m going to try out my skills with snooping around the clinic’s system to see if the p-fix was originally loaded here and then brought over for installation at the bunraku parlor,� he says, mostly to himself, “seems a lot more likely that they gave her the p-fix over there afterwards, but it’ll be a good way for me to get my hands wet with some hacking. I heard the clinic’s system was easy as pie.�
Fuchs

Rattler doesn't react at all to the simsense remark.

"The clinic's system is easy - their basement system isn't. But it'll be a good exercise for you. I would recommend going in cold though - you never know if the yakuza hid some nasty surprises there, especially after the last incident."

Rattler continues, still more serious than normal.

"I also saw the good doctor checking in for work today. He did look unharmed, but he also seemed to be heavily medicated or chipped, and seemed not to have slept at all. No sign of Kouki so far."

Not that that means anything, While the Yakuza might usually make an example of Kouki, they also were quick to cover their tracks, and so Kouki might simply made to disappear if caught again.
Tabula Rasa

Kambei nods, “I’ll definitely go in cold till I am a bit more confident on my own feet. I ain’t going anywhere hot until I have a more complete complement of programs.�

“Speaking of programs,� he says more cheerfully, “I just got paid for that last job so I wanted to order up another program.

“I was thinking either a spoof program so I can bypass security systems or an attack program so I can actually defend myself against IC. What do you think would be best?�
Fuchs

Rattler ponders this for a second, then answers.

"Spoof. You don't want to tangle with IC until you've got a bit more experience in the matrix, and it's better to start with the subtle methods - hacking means not getting detected first and foremost, not battering down IC."

The snake grins again, the first time in a bit, and opens a cartoony trenchcoat that suddenly appears, showing several stacks of chips in small puches on the inside of the coat, using its tail to point them out.

"And here I have a nice variety of designs for spoof programs. Buy one, and you get two skins for free!"
Tabula Rasa

�Alright, spoof program sounds good then,� Kambei says, “I�ll take that and if you could make a skin that looks like a delicate metal mask with moving clockwork components I’d love it.

“I’ve caught a couple of episodes of this steampunk anime trid as you may have already guessed…�

Before he gets back to work he says, “By the way, I’ve been leaning on your help a lot lately, so if you ever need something, don’t forget to ask.�
Fuchs

"Of course, Kambei-Kun. If I am in need of your particular talents, I'll call you.

But your taste in anime has to improve. At least you're not styling your icon after a magic girl show, or a sentai show."

Rattler laughs, and for a few seconds, the corresponding images show up - Kambei's icon, dressed in a sailor suit, or a sentai suit.

"So... anything else apart from the program you need me for?"
Tabula Rasa

"No, that's it," Kambei says after stifling his laughter, "thanks man, the spoof program and your lead should be enough to get me started for now."

After a quick bout of half-hearted negotiations, he authorizes a transaction for ¥5,640 into Rattler's account, and gets ready to start working. After getting comfortable on the couch, he plugs his commlink directly into his datajack, and dives into the Matrix in coldsim.

A short while later he finds himself near the clinic's node, and after a minute of hesitation he steadies his nerves and begins to his way in.

[ Spoiler ]
Fuchs
Neo-Tokyo - 04/23/2008 – 2130

Kambei logs on, and enters the VR representation of the matrix, becoming his icon while his meat body remains in his appartment. After spoofing his commlink ID, "Moving" to the Henshin Clinic node is a matter of seconds, and soon his icon floats in front od the Clinic's node - a representation of the actual clinic building, with nurses in too short skirts working every where, and handing ot info cards.

Getting inside, and on admin access, takes much longer, especially by going the quiet route and probing the target. Kambei settles in for long hours of looking for sloppy coding, or not perfectlly concealed backdoors, his Stealth and exploit programs running.

[ Spoiler ]

After 6 hours, Kambei finally finds the backdoor the original programmer left in, for easier access for maintenance. Admin access levels too, and the system shouldn't have noticed.
Tabula Rasa
Neo-Tokyo - 04/24/2008 – 0330

Despite the six hours spent hacking, Kambei felt fresh and very pleased with himself once he finally found a backdoor in. He vaguely thinks about whether Aoi and Ayaka are awake right now as he creates himself an administrator account and begins to download their complete personnel files.

I need to get as much information on the doctors here as I can. They probably made that poor bastard, Dr. Nakano, unbreakable with a btl or some serious threats... but he mentioned another doctor that did most of the work for the Yakuza. And hell, maybe they have a techie guy here too who might know a little somthing.

[ Spoiler ]

Fuchs

Kambei easily copies the personell files over to his commlink. The security of the system is laughable, though that probably means there won't be that much information to be gottten.

[ Spoiler ]

Kambei has just finsihed downloading all the data he found when he spots some icon acting strangely. A closer look reveals an agent observing the node - it does not seem to have spotted Kambei yet.

[ Spoiler ]
Tabula Rasa
Neo-Tokyo - 04/24/2008 – 0335

Kambei is a little worried about the agent but he doubts and agent running on this weak system would be able to see through his advanced stealth program. He switches to the clinic's equipment inventory to see what kind of technological equipment and software the clinic ordered just in case anything unusual pops out.

Satisfied with the information he has and hopeful that they do not run a diagnostics on their systems anytime soon and manage to wipe out his admin account, Kambei withdraws to his commlink's node and pulls his datajack out. He wasn't sure why he used his datajack instead of skinlink, but it's what the hackers did in Renraku and he figured they probably knew what they were doing.

He turns his attention back to his commlink to check out the type of neighborhood both the unusual employees live in to see who's house would make an easier target.
Fuchs

It doesn't take much time to check the adresses.

Daito Abe lives in a better quarter of Neo-Tokyo. Appartement building, good security.

Dr. Wu lives in his own house in the Korean quarter, but has two tenants - unemployed Korean men, so might be hired for security. And if he is as close to the Yakuza as Nakano claimed, he'll have better security than his location would indicate.
Tabula Rasa
Neo-Tokyo - 04/24/2008 – 0345

Daito seems like a big unknown and in a rich part of town too. Better go with Dr. Wu first, he's close to the Yakuza for sure, and at least I'd know mostly what I can expect. Hopefully the bodyguards aren't real hot shits if they find me...

Kambei grabs an energy bar and scarfs it down before jacking back into the matrix. A quick look at the node to test if he could mess with the security at all with his new spoof program and he'd be ready to visit the place in person when Mr. Wu is gone.
Fuchs

The official node Kambei spots seems rather simple to mess with, like the clinic's node. But if Wu has yakuza connections - and the evidence supports this - then his security system will be better than that, and hidden as well. Not impossible to defeat, though.

The house itself is a three story house, very narrow front, 6 meters, packed between two 10 story houses to either side. Once the two neighbouring houses are set to be replaced, the house will get replaced as well - the only reason it hasn't been replaced by something taller must have been it's size - it would not be economically and structurally viable to build more stories on that area, but if one replaces the whole block, things will be possible.

But that's the future. For now, there are several ways to enter, back, front, or from top - either of the adjanct houses is taller, and doesn't look like they have good security. There are lots of clothelines running from one to the other hosue, above Wu's house. Its Front door is solid, the backdoor seems to have a bad lock, but in the neighbouring part of the yard a guard dog's hut is visible. The roof is flat, and has a small solar collector and a water tank, also using solar energy to heat it, partially at least.
Tabula Rasa

Kambei attempts to carefully scan the system to determine it’s strength and to attempt to locate any hidden security systems.

I gotta know what I’m dealing with if I’m going to show up there in real life.
Fuchs
Neo-Tokyo - 04/24/2008 – 0345 - 0645

Kambei carefully scans for a hidden security node, but no such node shows up. Of course, a hidden security node does not have to be broadcasting, and could be limited to wired access, or very short range wireless, so that doesn't mean much.

[ Spoiler ]

On the other hand, he discovers a hidden node in the building - it looks like one of the Koreans is running it. Careful probing during the next three hours gives him admin access and reveals that it's the man's very extensive private collection of pirated simsense and BTL porn. Quite a fetish for schoolgirls, judging from the contents.

[ Spoiler ]

Tabula Rasa
Neo-Tokyo - 04/24/2008 – 0345 - 0645

Well, this is obviously not the security node… guess I’ll have to check it out in person. Won’t be too long before he has to go to work.

Kambei prepares his equipment to go scout out the doctor’s house and if the opportunity presents itself to break in and take look for anything useful.

I’m seriously going to have to get a little car for work… I’m ending up carrying a lot more shit doing this stuff by myself…
Fuchs
Neo-Tokyo - 04/24/2008 – 0750

An hour later, Kambei is observing the building. From what Kambei learned in the clinic's systme, Dr. Wu has the day shift today, and will be at the clinic from 0800 to 1800. Accordingly, he should have left already. There's some pedestrian traffic - mainly deliveries, and a number of housewives doing the grocery shopping, but the building looks almost empty, but for a korean on the third floor smoking on the balcony. He looks tired, with eyes red from lack of sleep, drugs, or both.
Tabula Rasa

Kambei parks his bike away from the house, dressed in a jumpsuit common for a manual laborer – greasy and dirty from a long night shift of work – and approaches the house for a closer physical inspection. He is looking for any signs of physical security while trying to remain as discreet as possible.
Fuchs

[ Spoiler ]

Kambei spots a camera that covers the front entrance, a spy drone nestled under the roof, and sensors at the windows. The windows look reinforced too, and the door seems very solid.
Tabula Rasa

Kambei attempts to locate the drone’s node to see if it is possible to spoof its feed when he tries to break in… somehow. Anyplace protected like this should be worth breaking into. Even if it’s just for some good blackmail material. It’s a shame no one gives a shit about a thug with a severe schoolgirl fetish.
Fuchs

Kambei starts scanning the area for the drone's node. It takes him a while, but he finally finds it. Protected of course. Looks like tougher than the clinic, which was expected as well. But definetly possible to break in and edit the camera feeds - if he can manage it...
Tabula Rasa

Kambei thinks over whether he should call Rattler or try this himself. Flipping a mental coin, he decides to try it himself hoping his stealth program will at least protect him from detection if he isn't able to wrestle control.

He jacks in with his override active so he can keep walking slowly to stay inconspicuous and attempts to hack into the drone...
Fuchs

This time, there's no slowly probing around the target, Kambei has to cut his way to the control system of the drone.

[ Spoiler ]

It doesn't take Kambei more than a few seconds to gain admin-level access to the drone, but he knows there's a scan program running, so each action he takes will run some risk. Editing the drone's camera feed will be doable though.

This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Dumpshock Forums © 2001-2012