Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Jeet Kun Do
Dumpshock Forums > Discussion > Shadowrun
DocTaotsu
One of my players wants to play an Ork version of Bruce Lee.

I want to help him.

Anyone have some rules for Jeet Kun Do as a martial art form?
Stahlseele
wasn't jeet kun do the martial arts that isn't a martial art?
in that it took many styles and incorporated them into it's own style while making sure that it did not become a style? @.@ or something like that . .
if there are requirements for some martial arts maneuvers, i'd say jeet kun do does away with those requrements, so you can probably just mix and match as you want . . add in boxing, wrestling, capoeira, whatever floats your boat basically o.O
paws2sky
I didn't care for Martial Arts in SR3 (they seemed too clunky), but I have no problem with the ones in Arsenal.

The advantages from the different martial arts are generic enough and not absurd, so stacking them from several different martial arts doesn't really create broken characters.

And, from what I recall, there's no hard limit on what maneuvers go with which martial arts...

So, I say go for it. Let him or her take whatever she wants and call it Jeet Kun Do. smile.gif
DocTaotsu
I think we'll at least let it play for one game.

I don't really care what he does as long as he makes the appropriate facial contortions and bellows between combat maneuvers.

"Okay I use finishing move on him... I get 7 hits"
*GM says nothing and just looks at the player*
"I mean, I leap through the air screaming... oOOooOoooo KIAAAAAAA!!!" *crushes bag of chips for appropriate sound effect*
ElFenrir
That should be a requirement. If he did all of that, i'd make Jeet Kun Do special. grinbig.gif

It's sort of like my little thing where if someone wants some super martial arts abilities; I let them have it! On the condition that we go through a several hour training montage, in game, with Joe Esposito's ''Your the Best'' on repeat the entire time.

If they get through that, they deserve the special powers. biggrin.gif
DocTaotsu
I think that's going to be my requirement for people to raise skill and attribute levels. If they want they have to MONTAGE! ROCKY HAD A... MONTAGE! the higher the level the longer the description of the montage has to be.

Reduced karma costs if theme music is used appropriately. wink.gif
ludomastro
QUOTE (ElFenrir @ May 3 2008, 08:45 PM) *
That should be a requirement. If he did all of that, i'd make Jeet Kun Do special. grinbig.gif

It's sort of like my little thing where if someone wants some super martial arts abilities; I let them have it! On the condition that we go through a several hour training montage, in game, with Joe Esposito's ''Your the Best'' on repeat the entire time.

If they get through that, they deserve the special powers. biggrin.gif

dead.gif dead.gif dead.gif

Yikes!
MarCazm
Don't forget the Nunchuks!

Very important thing for Bruce Lee Clones.

And to Jeet Kune Do as Martial Art in SR just make it take some of the advantages that seem appropriate and then go.

And maybe one advantage for using Nunchuks. biggrin.gif
Stahlseele
i'd probably rather try and play something based on the jackie chan style of fighting, but that's just me i'm afraid *g*
ElFenrir
QUOTE (Stahlseele @ May 4 2008, 06:09 AM) *
i'd probably rather try and play something based on the jackie chan style of fighting, but that's just me i'm afraid *g*

Make sure you have a 7 Edge human and lots of Martial Arts and Athletics, and I think you have it. biggrin.gif
Stahlseele
close, but no cookie ^^
the most important part of jackie is his sense of humor *g*
but one would need too many skills to really do the jackie . . that man can use ANYTHING as a make-shift weapons somehow <.< . .
DocTaotsu
Exotic Weapon: Everything Is a Weapon

Overpowered? No!!! What makes you say that?

ElFenrir
QUOTE (DocTaotsu @ May 4 2008, 11:00 AM) *
Exotic Weapon: Everything Is a Weapon

Overpowered? No!!! What makes you say that?

But if they sat through and participated in a 6 hour Montage™, with an appropriate song, naturally-i'd let them have it. grinbig.gif
DocTaotsu
I think the problem with teh montage rule is that I have players that would do it and I'd have to sit and listen the whole time.

I think the 200th time I have to hear "You're the best! Arrrrounddd!" I'd probably break down and give in.

Which would mean they'd only have to montage for about 15 minutes.
ElFenrir
That's where the Montage Compilations come in. Eye of the Tiger, You're the Best, Live to Win(the Paul Stanley song played in the WoW South Park episode), Invincible, Eagleheart from Stratovarius(another of the non 80s variant but fits montages anyway), Hammerfall's Hearts on Fire(another one-the Swedish Women's Football team uses this as their theme, so I guess it can count), and many other songs in that vein. This way you as a GM aren't as tortured. But part of it is the player torture, hence the repeat. It's a delicate balance. nyahnyah.gif
Critias
It really depends on what type of Jeet they're studying. After Sifu Lee's death, two major "schools" of JKD sprang up. One branch took to heart Bruce's idea that Jeet was a Way Without A Way, and kept it evolving, kept borrowing, kept adding to it. They went by Bruce's philosophies, kept it "like water," formless and powerful, and have been adding to it ever since. The other school of thought was that JFK was Bruce Lee's invention, Bruce Lee's baby, and they've done their best to leave it like he left it. They're the sorts that are more likely to still be fighting in a style recognizable as Bruce's.

For a classic JKD type like that, you could probably just use the rules for Kung Fu (a hair more realistic) or Tae Kwon Do (Bruce wasn't a fan of big flashy kicks in real life, but he used them an awful lot in the movies, so for a more cinematic JKD, Tao Kwon Do works). Either one would leave you with a nice "Eastern" looking flurry of Bruce Lee straight-blasts, cool jumping dramatic kick charges, and plenty of opportunities to let out alleycat howls while breaking people's ribs.

For a more open Jeet practitioner, use anything. Yes, really. The entire idea behind the art is "use what works." Western Boxing, Muay Thai knees and elbows, Wing Chun handwork, borrowed strikes that Guro Dan Inosanto brought into JKD from the Filipino arts, some schools have starting to incorporate some ground fighting... you name it. I imagine that, sixty years from now, JKD guys will be incorporating moves from Wildcat and Firefight and everything else they can get their hands on. We're cool like that. wink.gif
Cain
Critias, I think you're aware that's a *vast* oversimplification of what went down. Even amongst the two camps, there's a wide array of opinions as to what's really the "core" of JKD: Bruce Lee Teachings, or Bruce Lee Technique. Even the more "classic" JKD practicioners are open to new techniques and constantly adapt; and even the "open" JKD guys still use Bruce's punching and training techniques, such as the modified Wing Chun dummy and the One-Inch punch.

Then again, I've trained primarily with Jun Fan practicioners; original Bruce Lee students who tend to have distanced themselves from the JKD political mess. So, I'm biased. But on either side, there's a lot of variation as to what they believe consititutes "real" Jeet Kune Do.
Cardul
Jeet Kun Do, to me, would have one major advantage that would always be the same:

It would provide a penalty to someone trying to block or parry your blows. Reason: Because Jeet Kun Do is formless. You have two students from the same teacher, and neither will fight exactly the same, while any other martial art, they would. This means that it is harder to predict their blows, and thus, harder to block.

The other abilities would be: take an ability from any other martial art(may be taken up to 3 times)
Critias
QUOTE (Cain @ May 4 2008, 07:37 PM) *
Critias, I think you're aware that's a *vast* oversimplification of what went down.

Well, yeah. I didn't think anyone was really in the mood for much more detail than that. I figured "do you want someone to fight like Bruce Lee in the movies?" versus "do you want someone to fight like Bruce Lee might after another 70 years of studying?" was a decent enough little set of options.
DocTaotsu
I for one thank you for not turning this into a sprawling 50 page thread about every bit of Bruce Lee minutiae imaginable.

And we sided with a combination of the two you suggested. He's kick heavy for the coolness factor but we grabbed a few other advantages to round him out.
MaxHunter
yeah, just have some fun; and do not forget making noises. I also suggest to meditate staring for some minutes the ork martial artist from arsenal. smile.gif

Cheers

Max
Wounded Ronin
Over on bullshido.net, someone linked to two songs from the 60s or 70s that will make your head explode. I think Bruce Lee is rolling in his grave.

http://www.dinosaurgardens.com/wp-content/...eet_Kune_Do.mp3

http://www.dinosaurgardens.com/wp-content/...f_Bruce_Lee.mp3
PBTHHHHT
QUOTE (Cain @ May 4 2008, 08:37 PM) *
Critias, I think you're aware that's a *vast* oversimplification of what went down. Even amongst the two camps, there's a wide array of opinions as to what's really the "core" of JKD: Bruce Lee Teachings, or Bruce Lee Technique. Even the more "classic" JKD practicioners are open to new techniques and constantly adapt; and even the "open" JKD guys still use Bruce's punching and training techniques, such as the modified Wing Chun dummy and the One-Inch punch.

Like doc, I prefer the oversimplification so that us folks who really don't care for all the little gritty details can get in a very general gist and be done with it. Us uninitiated folks prefer to follow the unenlightened path. wink.gif
Cain
It would provide a penalty to someone trying to block or parry your blows. Reason: Because Jeet Kun Do is formless. You have two students from the same teacher, and neither will fight exactly the same, while any other martial art, they would. This means that it is harder to predict their blows, and thus, harder to block.

That all depends on how good you are. The better you are, the less you telegraph, in any art. A bad JKD practicioner will be a lot more obvious than a good Tae Kwon Do practicioner, regardless of the differences in styles.

Like doc, I prefer the oversimplification so that us folks who really don't care for all the little gritty details can get in a very general gist and be done with it.

Oh, like anything, the level of detail and research you want to get into is up to you. I thought I'd leave it open for discussion. In the meanwhile, I like Cardul's suggestion that you cherry pick some of the best maneuvers from other arts. Unfortunately, that can get really broken really quickly.
Wounded Ronin
Incidentally, my personal feeling is that today, for the most part, Jeet Kune Do/Jun Fan Gong Fu is overhyped and overmarketed with buttloads of mediocre instructors and as others have alluded to in this thread by mentioning a lack of concensus about what JKD is there's really a lack of standards making the whole thing worse.

Therefore, for the purposes of a game, I advocate Jeet Kune Do actually just being imitating Bruce Lee's cinematic movie fighting style. It has high kicks, howls, prances, and bites. That is all.

EDIT: Here is my full treatment of writing up a Bruce Lee imitator for a RPG. http://forums.dumpshock.com/index.php?show...p=0&#entry0
Beetle
Don't forget "Sweep the Leg" for the montage scene.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uFlQNtL8F9s
Wounded Ronin
QUOTE (Beetle @ May 7 2008, 10:28 PM) *
Don't forget "Sweep the Leg" for the montage scene.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uFlQNtL8F9s

We definitely need a player character who roller blades down the street in a red speedo and a green jacket while carrying a stero, and with skill in JKD.
hobgoblin
on the topic of a a ork lee...

was there not a piece of art in the martial arts section of arsenal that showed just such a being? wink.gif
DocTaotsu
There was which I think is what inspired the player and inspired me to make it happen wink.gif

Ork Bruce Lee will freakin destroy you.

I'm absolutley giddy with anticipation for our next game, I've arranged for a possible ship to ship battle where he can really shine (provided the team is smart and sweeps the decks of heavy weapons before they toss him below deck to fuck people up in confined spaces).

We're burning a short fuse here (a couple of the players may deploy soon) so I intend to be a bit liberal with the karma. I'd be lying if I said I didn't want to see him do something ridiculous like punch through a car or something wink.gif
Critias
It's easily enough done. Any combat-oriented Ork should start with a solid Strength in the first place, but when you tack on bone lacing and/or muscle implants (for a mundane) and/or Critical Strike (for an Adept), and stack it with a few +1 DV bonuses from Arsenal's Martial Arts? Yeah. He'll be laying the smack down just fine, provided he can make it into melee.
Kingmaker
That's what Reaction 9 and Combat Sense 12 is for.
Critias
Combat Sense is (like all Adept powers) capped by your Magic attribute. It's quite nice, even at 4-5-6 or so, but a 12 in it would be reserved for hojillion karma campaigns.
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Dumpshock Forums © 2001-2012