Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Elemental damage and gear carried by the target
Dumpshock Forums > Discussion > Shadowrun
Ranger
If you cast an elemental spell, such as acid stream or fireball, does the target's gear get affected by the spell as well?

If so, does the spell affect all of the target's gear? Just armor and clothing? Something else? How do you determine if gear is destroyed? I know that breaking weapons, for example, is treated as damaging a barrier, but what kind of barrier is a pistol equal to? An armor vest? A ballistic shield? Are there guidelines somewhere that I missed, or is this totally up in the air?

If gear is affected, any suggestions for how to speed up gameplay regarding this? If you have 4 targets of a fireball, each carrying 20 items, that would be a LOT of die rolling to see what is destroyed.
Moon-Hawk
QUOTE (Ranger @ May 20 2008, 11:09 AM) *
that would be a LOT of die rolling to see what is destroyed.

And this is exactly why (in my estimation) most groups just shrug and ignore it. Sometimes the GM could declare that certain gear is destroyed, but I would think a lot of GM would shy away from that because it has a sort of an arbitrary feel.
For me, I say that sort of thing is an excellent glitch effect on either the damage resistance (and possibly the dodge) test.

edit: Ooh, it could also be a bonus effect of a critical success on the part of the caster.
Ranger
QUOTE (Moon-Hawk @ May 20 2008, 08:27 AM) *
And this is exactly why (in my estimation) most groups just shrug and ignore it. Sometimes the GM could declare that certain gear is destroyed, but I would think a lot of GM would shy away from that because it has a sort of an arbitrary feel.
For me, I say that sort of thing is an excellent glitch effect on either the damage resistance (and possibly the dodge) test.

edit: Ooh, it could also be a bonus effect of a critical success on the part of the caster.

Your ideas sound like great compromises. I wasn't looking forward to rolling object resistance tests for dozens of items. smile.gif

Thanks for the reply.
Muspellsheimr
I agree with Moon Hawk on this. It is generally glossed over because of how it slows down the game & upsets the players.

Gear damage is, however, a possible option for Glitched dodge/resistance tests, or Exceptional Success attack tests.
A good example would be the first Shadowrun game I played in. I glitched a damage resistance test, resulting in my Chameleon Suit malfunctioning. It still worked fine as armor, but did nothing to help with stealth until fixed.

I would also say at GM's option, gear may be damaged over time if not maintained.
borg286
Is there a limit to how much you can carry. I know it's strength*10kg, but nothing is weighted out.
Muspellsheimr
Equipment weight values were removed in Fourth to reduce bookkeeping. As such, it is GM/Player discression on how much equipment can be reasonably carried, taking into account size as well as weight.
borg286
Sorry if it's a bit off topic but can drones (medium sized like the doberman) be my mule?
Jaid
QUOTE (borg286 @ May 20 2008, 04:12 PM) *
Sorry if it's a bit off topic but can drones (medium sized like the doberman) be my mule?

yes. they would probably need some kind of harness, but yes. there is even a drone specifically designed to carry your random garbage for you in arsenal.
Aaron
Meanwhile, back in Topic Land, unless an elemental spell completely takes out its target, I usually only choose a single item to be seriously messed up by the spell, just for simplicity's sake. Most often, it's the armor, but I make my decision based on what is reasonable, the situation, and the comparative rolls of the caster and target. For example, electricity might affect a weapon, since it's sticking out and made of metal. For light, I might have it burn out any optical technology on the target.

Hope that helps.
Grayson7
Well, I'm new to Shadowrun 4th. This Saturday will only be my second session. While I wouldn't necessarily roll for every single object a target is carrying (not likely that every single object could even be affected), I would have no problem rolling resistance for gear depending on the circumstances (e.g. armor against fire or acid), particularly in the case of spells that do elemental damage. I mean the magician is dealing with +2 drain. I feel he should have something to show for that.
Emperor Tippy
I do it on critical success/failure rolls and it really depends on the situation. Armor is usually whats effected.
Aaron
Personally, I try to include the elemental effect on every instance, not just for critical successes or failures. It seems to me that on a critical success, there would be some uber-cool stuff happening even without the elemental effect, and ditto the glitches except in the other direction. I try to justify the extra cost of the elemental effect. Besides, the electricity effect is pretty specific about things happening every time the damage is inflicted; why should it be different for other elements?

Just my 2¥.
MaxHunter
do not forget fire effect + explosive ammo. It always burns when you take fire damage in my games. :evilgm:

Cheers!

Max

Ps: situation: ork samurai with two modified warhawks loaded with ex-ex; fire elemental in the form of a scimitar wielding fire fey, elemental's turn: flame aura+charge. orc sam's player: "Hey! I take a free action to drop the guns!" Good to see players learning, =)
HentaiZonga
QUOTE (Ranger @ May 20 2008, 08:09 AM) *
that would be a LOT of die rolling to see what is destroyed.

Which is why the 'Buying Hits' rule is so useful. I always rule that inanimate objects always buy hits rather than rolling.
Fortune
QUOTE (HentaiZonga @ May 21 2008, 03:47 PM) *
Which is why the 'Buying Hits' rule is so useful. I always rule that inanimate objects always buy hits rather than rolling.

Thereby ensuring no Glitches, Critical Glitches, or Critical Successes.
Apathy
QUOTE (MaxHunter @ May 20 2008, 06:35 PM) *
do not forget fire effect + explosive ammo. It always burns when you take fire damage in my games. :evilgm:

Cheers!

Max

Ps: situation: ork samurai with two modified warhawks loaded with ex-ex; fire elemental in the form of a scimitar wielding fire fey, elemental's turn: flame aura+charge. orc sam's player: "Hey! I take a free action to drop the guns!" Good to see players learning, =)

I GM'd the reverse of this once, when a runner threw his bandolier of APDS into the manifesting fire elemental.
Ranger
Good suggestions all the way around. I kind of agree with Aaron about applying an effect each time the spell is cast, so that someone using an elemental effect spell doesn't feel like the extra Drain is just to get a special effect on a rare occasion.

I'll probably do just what he does: pick an item at random, with bias toward armor and other large, worn items that are easy to be hit.
Fortune
And always make a test for any McGuffin present ... even if you secretly fudge the roll. It never fails to make the players sweat. vegm.gif
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Dumpshock Forums © 2001-2012