Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Second Stringers
Dumpshock Forums > Discussion > Welcome to the Shadows
Pages: 1, 2
Dakka
Please start of by posting your sheets here so that I can quickly access them if need be. Also, I would like to be able to discuss your characters with you. A small background story and some stats dont mean much if I misunderstand the total picture.

I'd like to have everything done by this Thursday (May 29th) so that we can start by Friday.
crizh
Scab

[ Spoiler ]
Ellipsis
Hey y'all! I'm going to be busy this evening (yay contra dance!) but I'll hopefully have something up for perusal and discussion sunday eve/monday! Happy holidays!
last_of_the_great_mikeys
Okay, here's Mitchel Naga
Attributes
B:3 A:4 R:4 S:3 C:4 I:4 L:3 W:3 Edge: *8*
Initiative:8 Initiative Passes:1
Essence: 5.88
Cram: +1 Reaction, +1 initiative pass, 9 hour duration

Contacts
Fixer (l:2/C:4)
Drug Dealer (L:2/C:3)

Qualities
Lucky
Addiction (stimulants)
SINner

Skills
Influence Group 3
Stealth Group 2
Unarmed Combat 3
Pistols 3
First Aid 1
Dodge 3
Perception 2

Knowledge Skills
Shadowrunners 1 (+2 mundane combat runners)
School Rumours 3 (+2 hot chicks)
Sports 2 (+2 MMA)
Celebrity gossip 2 (+2 hot babes)
Parental procedures 1 (+2 his parents)
VR games 3 (+2 combat games)
English (N)
Salish 3

Biowear
Alpha Sleep Regulator (.12 essence cost)

Gear
Low lifestyle, 1 month (basement suite of parents' house)
Novatech Airware Commlink with Iris Orb OS
Fake SIN rating 4
Morrisey Elan hold out pistol
2 clips (5 rounds each) Hi-C plastic rounds ammo
Concealable holster
Armour Vest
Micro Transciever 2
Survival knife
2 doses of Cram
500 nuyen (I just took the average instead of rolling)
Dakka
Why did he start Cram?
What does he get out of it?
Is there another drug out there that might be more for a jock? Ripper perhaps? It would explain some of the ballsiness

Just ponder those for a few
Digital Heroin
Night Shift:

[ Spoiler ]
last_of_the_great_mikeys
QUOTE (Dakka @ May 25 2008, 07:34 AM) *
Why did he start Cram?
What does he get out of it?
Is there another drug out there that might be more for a jock? Ripper perhaps? It would explain some of the ballsiness

Just ponder those for a few

He tried cram for the same reason most people try drugs 2 parts curiosity, 1 part peer pressure (though the numbers switch for most people wink.gif ). He's cocky enough that he's the one who applies peer pressure and is, well, not immune, but less influenced by it on the outside.

A:It's quite a rush and feels good! (he wouldn't tell you that this is why he does it, though) B: It gave him a reflexes edge in sports. It wires him up, giving him an energy boost so he can party, do school and play sports without feeling run down. plus it would add to the cockiness. C: The cool kids the year ahead of him were doing it, so it must be cool. That's a monor reason, though. In his mind he's on par with them and doesn't need the drugs to be cool.

As for Ripper, he probably would use it, in fact, as well as G3. But it's stimulants he has an addiction to. I'm not sure if Ripper is a stimulant. I kinda envisioned him cheing Wuxing's wondrous product of betel gum, too. Keeps him alert and his teeth get to be all shiny.

Drawing on my own experience (I worked as a caregiver in a detox for street kids for 6 years) only 30% of people can become physically addicted to anything. The rest is all psychological. People use drugs rarely just to party and feel good. Usually it is a form of self-medication. People who are hyper tend to use pot. People who are sluggish tend to use cocaine. People who want to keep their weight down and stay awake tend to use crystal method. I figured Mitchel to be one of the 30%. He just has that body that gets to the "I physically need it" point.
Dakka
Thanks for working that out for me.

Is he fidgety like most meth-heads?
last_of_the_great_mikeys
Pretty much. He'd be a pretty hyper dude under the effects of cram. After he's come down and eaten and slept he'd appear normal. After all, it's only a mild addiction so far.
Dakka
Cool, that works for me.
If Ripper is anything like modern Steroids then yes you get a rush of energy also, a temper, but hey your nuts shrink! lol biggrin.gif
Kerris
So, I'm kind of new to this section of DS, but I'm pining for some playtime, and I don't have a local group. Is this a signup thread for this particular game, or is there another thread where I have to sign up? Or is the game closed? Sorry to interrupt the character building session, but this seemed the most likely thread for me to be able to pick up a game.
Dakka
Unfortuneately this game is closed but stay tuned in as I might start a mercenary type game in a month or so. I need to have this game well underway before I can consider doing another one.
Kerris
Aww, that sucks. Can you point me to where I might be able to join a game?
Dakka
I started this one because I couldnt find any to play in lol grinbig.gif
Digital Heroin
QUOTE (Dakka @ May 27 2008, 04:29 PM) *
Unfortuneately this game is closed but stay tuned in as I might start a mercenary type game in a month or so. I need to have this game well underway before I can consider doing another one.

That wouldn't happen to be a game where the possibility of using a shiny new man-portable gauss rifle would exist, would it? grinbig.gif
Dakka
It might
Ellipsis
Hey all, so late but better than never they say! (sorry got sidetracked working at a farm this week/end) and I'd really love for someone to go over this and double check that it is kosher. I've been using the excel spreadsheet that came from somewhere here on the boards and it all adds up but I haven't actually made a character in a looooong time so I may have just been stupid somewhere!

*edited to include BP costs and spoilered charsheet*

[ Spoiler ]

Whew...So thar you have m'boy, the touchy feely enforcer/sammie type Anders! Please point out any glaring problems. I went through this a couple times but by the end of it my eyes were just a little bit buggy! I'll work on getting BG stuff done up tonight after work for tomorrow. It's been a long time since I've been in a game so I'm really psyched about this thanks again Dakka and I'm Glad to play with everybody!
last_of_the_great_mikeys
Hmmm...with his celebrity gossip knowledge skill Mitchel may have heard of this guy. *Rolls* 5, 3, 4, 6, 5, 4. Three hits! An addition 4 and 6 if there's hot babes on his show, for one more hit (to know about the hot babes, of course).
Dakka
No one said it was hit trid! lol

I imagine gary coleman everytime I think about your concept.

That reminds me....Did your character have a famous one liner??????
Ellipsis
QUOTE (Dakka @ May 28 2008, 01:07 PM) *
No one said it was hit trid! lol

I imagine gary coleman everytime I think about your concept.

That reminds me....Did your character have a famous one liner??????

Oh no! The testosterone school boy's gonna blow my cover!...Wait! You're right there's a reason I'm running the shadows. My show sucked! LOL, Seriously I never thought of the Gary Coleman connection with Anders but that's hilarious!...And a little ironic considering his diminutive form v. a troll! smile.gif

Shootout with Renraku guards...
RG: Hey, aren't you that guy from Lazer Crew? *krakow!* Can I have your autograph?
A: No but I got a bullet with your name on it! *badoom!!!* nyahnyah.gif

And you thought gary coleman bitch slapping some lady was as bad as it got! As for the one liners I don't know if famous would be appropriate but I was thinking of a few things like "Lazer Crew's gonna make you see through!" or "I can't just let them die,...I need to make SURE they're dead!" perhaps "Run and scream, you'll be leaking just the same!"...I can't really find the epitome of corny catch phrase quite yet, but Anders himself would be more of the type to qoute classic stage play hoping someone will recognize it in conversation, though I envision him as really donning the old corny role when he's got his game face on, underneath the gas mask...

I'll work on some more BG stuff tonight Dakka, how deep do you want this stuff? Like a page or two? Also I was thinking if it could be worked out as a front for Anders real SIN to use the Homeopathic Medicine shop as a legit front like a small shop that he owns and he lives out back behind it, serving the afraid of modern medicine crowd.
Ellipsis
So I wasn't sure if you wanted BG sent to you or open for all, so here's what I got (I just figured out the spoiler tag!) it's really more of a primer on how he got to the current situation. I can't do much more tonight but I'll work up a proper physical description et all soon as I can! later!
[ Spoiler ]
last_of_the_great_mikeys
Perhaps Mitchel knew your catchphrase. Ya see, there was this hot chick in the lazer crew who was known as Killer Queen. Everytime she shot somebody Anders would say, "Dynamite with a lazer beam!" biggrin.gif
Dakka
That's cheesey enough alright lol
gobogen
Hey, I'm back from my trip.

I'll complete my character sheet and post it here within a day or two at most.
crizh
I've put a first draft of Scab at the top. Still not sure about some of it. I'm not sure I want a combat spell but I'm not sure he can survive without one...
Ellipsis
LOL, "Dynamite with a Lazer Beam" might just work and you sir may have a lucrative future in writing for 6pm TV!
Dakka
QUOTE (crizh @ May 29 2008, 06:16 PM) *
I've put a first draft of Scab at the top. Still not sure about some of it. I'm not sure I want a combat spell but I'm not sure he can survive without one...

With skill and cunning he/she might
last_of_the_great_mikeys
Ya know, Or'zet's only been an officially available language since 2061, I think. Can it be a native language? (I know, officially by the rules, it can. I mean hypothetically.)
crizh
An excellent point. Should I change it Dakka?

Perhaps he could be a scrappy teen. That makes a kinda sense looking at the character and his background but perhaps he is too skilled at magic even for an earlier bloomer.
Dakka
I only spoke German till I was 8 when we moved back to the States. I dont speak German now, only a few bad words...so yes, it can be your native language.
Digital Heroin
Thanks for reminding me, I need to convert over/update my "Orc Poser" Elf, Madcap... he's not a poser so much as a guy who was raised in the Underground after his parents were killed by a Humanis lynch mob... but the concept of an Elf who acts like an Orc's just too fun...
crizh
QUOTE (Dakka @ May 30 2008, 08:17 PM) *
I only spoke German till I was 8 when we moved back to the States. I dont speak German now, only a few bad words...so yes, it can be your native language.

Cool that's what I'll do then. I think I'm going to say he is mid to late teens, 16 or 17 maybe, which ought to jibe nicely with the timescale of Or'zet being introduced. I'm also thinking of swapping Stunbolt out and replacing it with something less offensive and more interesting. I was thinking of Shape (Stone) which has all sorts of cool possibilities from building your own hide-out to creating equipment stashes and clever smuggling tricks. Let me know what you think.
Dakka
Would like to start late today or early tomorrow, so please finish up those sheets so we can roll.
last_of_the_great_mikeys
QUOTE (Dakka @ Jun 1 2008, 07:31 AM) *
Would like to start late today or early tomorrow, so please finish up those sheets so we can roll.

*Crosses his arms in front of his chest*
Yeah!
gobogen
Sorry for the hold up. I've had a way busier weekend than I expected. Sheet's close to done. Can't complete it before tonight though.
crizh
Sorry for the delay, I am working on this, promise. grinbig.gif

I've got my knickers in a bit of a twist regarding Shape (Stone). I thought it would be dead cool to be able to construct your own secret underground lair. By keeping the entrances really small and submerged or even sealing the natural rock shut behind you when you enter/leave, you could have some pretty secure hideouts, escape routes, ammo caches, etc.

But.

Having done extensive research today on soil and bedrock geology and the geology of the Seattle area in general I'm in several minds as to how to finalize Scab. Sewers are, unsurprisingly, constructed above sea-level, usually in the layer of subsoil 5-10 meters below the surface. The distance from the surface to bedrock varies dramatically around the world but in the Puget Sound area the surface layer is multiple types of Glacial Drift hundreds of feet thick. There is a ridge about a mile wide that runs East-West through the South of Seattle where the folded rock of a fault forces the bedrock up towards, and occasionally through, the surface layer but for the most part there is negligible natural rock in the Metroplex area.

So I'm thinking Shape (Earth) would be a much better choice.

But then tunnels in earth are prone to flooding and collapse and while scarce there is still some rock in the area and the Barrens contain a number of Ghost Dance induced lava flows that aren't on todays Geological Maps.

So I think I may need to take both but that will leave me with nothing but utility spells. Scab will be pretty much worthless in a fight.

Is that something that will bother the rest of you?

My fear is that in my enthusiasm I may be moving out of Second-Stringer territory and into third or fourth.
Ellipsis
Sorry for the silence all, I don't know if I'd call my weekend more busy that expected but it was definetly something wrong with the stars. Anway I think I'm pretty done with my sheet itself it's mostly just working out a proper description of Anders and I guess I could be ready to roll whenever. Weekends are traditionally a more difficult time for me to be involved in internetery I'm working on that situation and I'll be moving in about a month so that should just stop being an issue at that point but I apologize if sat/sun are slow posting days for me. Dakka if you need anything else from me on the sheet let me know.

Crizh: Awesome bg work! I'm impressed and not too worried by Scab being a support type fellow I'm sure we'll work it all out as we go anyway but those are some great ideas for stashes etc...!
Dakka
lol, not likely. Even without the offensive mojo its rare to be magical. Like less than 1% so, they'll take what is available. You could be worse, had a game where the mage was not only a pyromaniac but, he had a tough time controling fire elementals.
last_of_the_great_mikeys
*Hands Crizh a shirt with a target on the front and back*

"Noone's useless in a fight. But if you're worried, here, put this on. It'll help our team tell you from the enemy."
crizh
That's settled then. I'll finish his equipment and do some more background stuff after I finally get some sleep.....
Dakka
You guys are killing me.

Sorry about the tirade, but please lets get this going.
last_of_the_great_mikeys
You could always try awarding karma for getting done sooner. smile.gif Retroactively, of course.
Ellipsis
I'm pretty much ready to roll I believe.

Dakka:I can also do a breakdown of the BP spent or email my spreadsheet to you whichever you prefer, and the only other thing I can think of right off the top of my head is a physical description(which I think I'll do from the perspective of an onlooker seeing him at the whole foods store or something) for the former thespian. That'll only take a few minutes and I forgot I hadn't done it yet honestly, have it up first thing tomorrow and if there is anything else you want from me just say the word!
crizh
Sorry. Just need to finish gear. I'm at work but give me a couple of hours and I can knock something out...
crizh
OK, all done, I think. I've a little more background stuff I'd like to write but that can wait, I can always put up some flashbacks IC.

[ Spoiler ]
Ellipsis
Hey, just found out I'm going to be working late tonight, but I've got more description I'll put up when I get home (aprx. 2:30am est) BTW what time zones are we all working from?
last_of_the_great_mikeys
Pacific time zone here.
gobogen
Eastern Standard Time (GMT +5)

My character sheet is pretty much complete, although the background information could be more detailed and better organized.

[ Spoiler ]
Ellipsis
Hey, again a little later than I planned and not exactly what I was planning but here is a sort of third perspective description of an interaction with Anders done as a post style. I'll do more to show what exactly he looks like in game intro posts.
[ Spoiler ]
last_of_the_great_mikeys
Well, I didn't expect to default into a leadership position. I think Mitchel's background speaks for itself, but I can elabourate for those who want it. smile.gif
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Dumpshock Forums © 2001-2012