Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Making money...
Dumpshock Forums > Discussion > Shadowrun
moosegod
I have Connected Lvl II for Sphynx's Mercenary game. This means I can buy and sell weapons at their list price, so I have an issue.

I control an important flow of nuyen into the group. Living on the street, flow of money=skimming. I just need to know how much to skim off the top.

I was thinking 25% fo the list price. Normally the group is going to pull something like 40% of the total price from a dealer, right? So they're making 35% more than they should, if I take the 25% cut. What do you guys think?
Shanshu Freeman
QUOTE (moosegod)
I have Connected Lvl II for Sphynx's Mercenary game. This means I can buy and sell weapons at their list price, so I have an issue.

I control an important flow of nuyen into the group. Living on the street, flow of money=skimming. I just need to know how much to skim off the top.

I was thinking 25% fo the list price. Normally the group is going to pull something like 40% of the total price from a dealer, right? So they're making 35% more than they should, if I take the 25% cut. What do you guys think?

I'm ok with your interpretation. Have fun.
thunderchild
QUOTE (moosegod)

just make sure you tell the other players IN CHARACTER that your doing it, if the gm slips or they find out they might roleplay killing you for suckering them out of their money realy well.
Game2BHappy
Within our group, team members only take off only 10% or less off the top when dealing with their own team. Its to your advantage that they have the best gear.
Saintgrimm
I'd go with a 15 percent agreement, and I'd make sure that the other members knew.
"Chummer, I'm doing the legwork here. I take the risk if the Star catches me. 15 percent for an old friend is a good deal"

Then, if they really need something, you can always drop down to 10, 5, or 0 percent to cut and old friend a dern good deal "You took that bullet for me, man... the least I can do is help you get this gun you're looking for" or "Man, you did me one, now I'll do you one. This run, I'm only going to take a 5 percent operator fee. That's an extra 10 percent riding your pocketbook"
Frag-o Delux
Generally I never charge my friends, that is what other schmucks are for. My friends get it at cost. Including of coarse frieght, bribes and other incedentals, I wouldn't make any money off of the deal but I sure as hell wasn't losing money. They knew that though. On a few occasions I acquired some gear for players because they had doubts I could get it, and sometimes I would give it to them to prove I could and to spread the word of mouth I could get anything. Sometimes I did trades I'll give you X if you introduce me to Y. After awhile I was getting to know everyone in the shadows. At retirement I had close to 100 contacts.

Not really a spoiler just some rambling about my character if you want to read it.
[ Spoiler ]
Kagetenshi
Aren't your Contacts limited to 2X Charisma?

~J
Ol' Scratch
I've never heard of such a rule.
Tanka
Seriously... It just doesn't make sense.

That means your Face could only have a max of 16 Contacts, 24 if 8 are of their race.

(Elf with 8 Cha and Cultured Tailored Pheremones, 'natch)
Kagetenshi
Maybe it's just a chargen rule... or maybe I'm just imagining things again.

~J
Ol' Scratch
I think you are. Got a page reference? I honestly never remember hearing of such a rule. Ever.
Tanka
I think you are.

Lay off the drugs.
3Threes
I just need to know how much to skim off the top.

are you asking - What is a fair cut?

or

are you asking - How much can I take off the top while still maintaining a reasonable chance that they wont get mad if they find out I am taking a secret cut?

or

are you asking - How much can I take off the top while still maintaining a reasonable chance that they wont figure out I am taking a cut?

-3Threes
Kagetenshi
Not there. I must've been drunk when I read the section.
Which is odd, since I don't drink.

~J
Siege
QUOTE (Kagetenshi)
Not there. I must've been drunk when I read the section.
Which is odd, since I don't drink.

~J

You may be remembering some house rules -- people have posted alternate contact rules based on things like:

x2 Charisma
Charisma + Etiquette or Negotiations or Persuasion

And so in.

-Siege
Dende
I thought the chargen rule was what you could afford... I also seem to recall our GM limiting us to level 2 contacts unless we had A resources, but I think that was a house rule.
Siege
QUOTE (Dende)
I thought the chargen rule was what you could afford... I also seem to recall our GM limiting us to level 2 contacts unless we had A resources, but I think that was a house rule.

Yep, another house rule -- everyone gets two free contacts at start, level 1.

After that, it's something like 5k per additional level 1 contact, 10k for level 2 contacts and I don't remember the price for level 3 contacts.

-Siege
Dogsoup
200K nuyen.gif if Im not mistaken...
Dende
Yup, that sound like what it was.
Diesel
Edit: No, 200,000 is right.
Yum Donuts
or 100,000 nuyen.gif but who's counting?
Lilt
I'd have to agree with Yum Donuts here. My copy of SR3 says 100K.
Ol' Scratch
Is it an early printing or a newer one updated by errata? I don't remember any errata to that effect either way. Mine has 200,000 nuyen.
Tziluthi
The new printing that I have says 200K nuyen.gif. How peculiar.
Lilt
Umm dead.gif ... Well a luxury lifestyle is a bit like a friend for life... Yes? nyahnyah.gif
Ol' Scratch
I don't see the comparison you're trying to make there. If memory serves, they've always been (at least since 2nd Edition) 200,000 grand. The most recent printings list it at 200,000 grand (I'm assuming you and Yum have an older one). So... I'm tending to see your copy is the one in error. smile.gif
Yum Donuts
I'll go by consensus and assume it's been errattaed I got an old version that I picked up from someone else, so it probably has been. I'd tell you what edition I have, but the cover, and the first 15 pages are missing. gotta love fasa sourcebooks.
Lilt
Heh. I was trying to admit subtly that you were right and I was reading the last entry from the luxury lifestyle chart... But if you people are only capible of reading what is written, and written in the right place, then I see what the problem is.

NB: I'm just talking cr*p. I have no Idea what I'm talking about. Can I at-least use the power-word "Fine!" spell to end the discussion?
Fortune
Yum Donuts: I have the 8th Printing by FASA, and it lists it as 200KĄ. I don't recall seeing any errata that changed it.
Diesel
My SR3 book has it as 100,000. My NSRCG has it as 200,000, and my friend's SR3 has it as 200,000. A quick trip to Kazaa shows the pirated version shows 100,000. Back to you, Jeff!
Tanka
My copy says 200,000.

I'd check the main site to see if it's listed in errata, but the site is down.
Fortune
QUOTE (Diesel)
A quick trip to Kazaa shows the pirated version shows 100,000.

Funny...my own quick trip to Kazaa gives me an edition that states 200KĄ. biggrin.gif
Ol' Scratch
I'm suspecting Diesel is misreading the table, too, as the two entries that listed 200,000 according to his sources were NSRCG and a friend's copy of SR3 (which I'm guessing he had his friend look up). smile.gif

There is no errata for it, either. I checked earlier. I also checked my older copy (a 1st printing) that had fallen apart, and it, too, listed 200,000.
Tanka
On a hunch, I grabbed up my SR2 Corebook. It even says that "Followers" (The L3 equivalent, methinks) are 200k. A Gang/Tribe nets you 50k by itself, too.
Dende
I know my GMs said 200k. I am thinking anything else was a big boo boo. And based on the "power" and tie invloved witha level 3 contact, and an extrapolation from the cost increase from 1 to 2, 200k just makes more sense.
moosegod
Back to my question- I plan to be perfectly clear that I'm skimming. I just am wondering what percentage to take.
Diesel
Perhaps, perhaps, perhaps.

The blindness lent by Halo not letting me blink could be a major factor too biggrin.gif
Tanka
QUOTE (moosegod)
Back to my question- I plan to be perfectly clear that I'm skimming. I just am wondering what percentage to take.

However much it takes to keep you stocked and keep them happy at the same time.

Why not just ask them all what they think would be a good amount, then charge them that, and everybody else an extra 5% or so.
Ol' Scratch
QUOTE (moosegod @ Dec 13 2003, 10:14 PM)
Back to my question-  I plan to be perfectly clear that I'm skimming.  I just am wondering what percentage to take.

10% is something that most of my characters wouldn't mind, but only as long as it was a personal request. If it was equipment needed for a run or mission, I'd expect him to buy it as cheaply as he could unless the cash was coming directly from the Johnson's bankroll.

Unless, of course, he doesn't mind paying the mage a few thousand for every box of damage he heals with a Treat spell, or anything else the rest of the team provides for him while on a run.
Lilt
I'd advise something small like 5% biggrin.gif

[edit]
QUOTE (Doctor Funkenstein)
Unless, of course, he doesn't mind paying the mage a few thousand for every box of damage he heals with a Treat spell, or anything else the rest of the team provides for him while on a run.

Hmm. I like that idea smile.gif[/edit]
Siege
QUOTE (Diesel)
Perhaps, perhaps, perhaps.

The blindness lent by Halo not letting me blink could be a major factor too biggrin.gif

Hoo-ah! You ever killed a Marine with the stock of your rifle by mistake as they cowered behind a corner, blocking the hallway? grinbig.gif

I had my audience at the time rolling at that one.

"It was an accident, I swear!"

-Siege
Diesel
No, I'm uber-paranoid about friendly fire since America's Army...I am the king of running things over though! biggrin.gif

You guys can go back to talking about Shadowrun, nothing to see here. biggrin.gif
Rattler
QUOTE (Lilt)
QUOTE (Doctor Funkenstein)

Hmm. I like that idea smile.gif[/edit]

Too bad you're the conjurer and he's the mage. nyahnyah.gif
moosegod
Actually, I'm a full magician, you silly team leader.

With Enchanting, nonetheless.
Rattler
QUOTE (moosegod)
Actually, I'm a full magician

That was what I said. smile.gif

you silly team leader.

Team leader? Where? eek.gif
Utahraptor
I do beleive we agreed with Rheiv as Team-leader?

And I think the unit will understand a cut, as lond as it is'nt above what we would pay extra for street index. Hey, you get the stuff, you are entitled to a small fee.

Just remember that sometimes, honor before money chummer. smile.gif
3Threes
prolly something you need to work out in game in character - but it can prolly depend on the street index of the item you are getting
moosegod
Yeah, I'm thinking about dropping down to 15%. I'm going to need it to buy the bloody karma I'm going to need!
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Dumpshock Forums © 2001-2012