Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Deep Water Blackout
Dumpshock Forums > Discussion > Welcome to the Shadows
Pages: 1, 2, 3, 4
Method

Recruiting Thread
In Character Thread

Players:
- Blackhat: Captain Joseph Carter (rigger / scavenger)
- Crizh: Petit Petwo (houngan)
- pragma: Guy Freebird (hacker / underwater EW)

- OneRonin: Desmond Connelly (demolitions / combat)
- Direradiant: Bartholemew Smith (safecracker / mechanic / infiltrator)
- Lidralyn: Lidralyn (Mitsuhama Investigator)

Posting Guidelines:
- Please disable your signature when posting (especially IC). If you forget you can go back and remove them using the Full Edit option.
- Please use Redjack's Color Codes (see below)
- Also please use Bold for names of characters like this: Fastjack is super cool.
Bold Orange = Dateline
- Format: location,date,time (military)
- Use only if the team is spread out or when jumping to new locations
Cyan = Spoken Word
Dark Khaki = Thoughts / Internal Monolog
Yellow = Comms (text)
Violet = Comms (voice)
Green = Memories / Flashbacks
Orange Italics = Languages other than English

Dice Rolls:
- If you are attached to a certain dice roller thats fine, otherwise use Invisible Castle.
- Format: Attribute (#) + Skill (#) + Mods (#s) = # Hits [link]
- Example: Agility (3) + Pistols (3) = 3 Hits
Method
Joseph "Captain" Carter (BlackHat)
- Background
[ Spoiler ]
- Sheet
[ Spoiler ]

Petit "Pee Pee" Petwo (crizh)
- Background
[ Spoiler ]
- Sheet
[ Spoiler ]

Guy "Hang 10" Freebird (pragma)
- Background
[ Spoiler ]
- Sheet
[ Spoiler ]

[ Spoiler ]
Method
All right team, here is the OoC thread. Lets start with some day-in-the-life RP to establish the characters. I'll move this quickly into a simple job within the next week or so.

I'm going to leave the recruiting thread up for now so people can put any last minute touch ups on their characters and we can discuss the modifications on the ship, etc.
TheOneRonin
[edit]Moved original post to IC thread where it belongs.[/edit]

Desmond's routine is going to vary, but in general he gets up before dawn to do an hour or so of PT...usually running, push-ups, pull-ups, sit-up, and various other calisthenics. After that, it's coffee at sunrise, then a shower and getting ready for the day. If the rest of the crew gets up about the same time, Des will often cook breakfast by hand, if the supplies are available. Then he is off to work.

Des isn't the most technically skilled character on the team, but there are some duties he will most likely be responsible for on a day-to-day basis. I can see him checking out all of the diving/salvage gear and equipment, taking a rotation at the helm, and doing whatever jobs require manual labor. Des is just as happy mopping the deck as he is prepping dive equipment.

I'd like to setup some way for him to get shooting practice while out at sea, but the cost of even regular ball ammo makes this prohibitively expensive in SR. All his weapons are smart, so perhaps he can work with the ships drones and a good AR program and basically do laser tag for practice. At times, he will try to get the rest of the crew involved as well. Not everyone has to be a crack shot if you have a well-coordinated team of shooters. Des will probably also manage the armor, and keep all the weapons clean and functioning.

He takes time to text Tabitha every couple of days when he isn't in the middle of an operation, and probably calls her about a once a week.

@ Method: Is there anything I'm leaving out, or is there something more/different that you are looking for?
bishop186
Good luck with the game, guys. I'll be watching and enjoying. cyber.gif
Method
OneRonin: Sorry if I was unclear. You can start posting in the IC thread exactly as you have done here.

[edit]Everything looks good. Thats exactly the kind of stuff I was looking for.[/edit]
pragma
@Method
I'm assuming the team will be united sometime in the very near future and have sown some of the seeds for that IC. If you'd rather we all start on the boat, I'm willing to edit furiously.

@All

I assume that Guy's responsibilities on the boat are largely centered around keeping all of the sensors running and keeping an eye on all the sensors.
Method
pragma: thats fine. The action will start around mid-February 2070 so as long as you leave enough lead time you should be fine. We can assume that Guy spent the winter getting soggy in the Cascades, which would be miserable enough to make anybody stir crazy.
Lidralyn
Day in the life of Lidralyn.

Lidralyn's normal routine is for the most part go to work, go home. He is very pationate about his job as most mitsuhama employees are. He works in the investigation department and tried to find any "bad seeds" if you catch the drift. He normally stays in the magical quarters of the Misuhama corp and studies the magical goings on and mind probes a lot of employees to find out information.

He lives in a corp own home and takes corp transportation to work, he almost never leaves the corp owned property. Sometimes he and his 2 best friends will leave for drinks but that is a very rare occurance due to him working almost all the time. Even while off duty he is scouting the scenes and listening for any unloyal members of the company.
Lidralyn
With that, I wanted to let everyone know I have to head out of town this weekend, I should be back late sunday night. I might be able to check things tommorow night but no promises.

Lid
DireRadiant
IC intro post up. Can be edited as needed.

I'm presuming that for some reason the team is pulling a job to steal a safe where the plan is blowing a charge to drop the safe in to the water and then retrieve it and open at leisure. Presumably someone could be listening via an audio device or astrally and Bart's offer is accepted.

And thus Bart moves aboard and spends weeks sea sick. smile.gif
Method
More to follow tomorrow. Stay tuned...

[edit]Feel free to post in the meantime if you feel inspired...[/edit]
crizh
Daaang!

Cool...

Edit, so's I can find it...

[ Spoiler ]
Method
crizh: Glad you like it.

I'd like to bring the team together by Monday Feb 17th for the meet. Then we'll start the one-shot.

[edit]In game time that is...[/edit]
crizh
@Blackhat

Petwo has plenty time to make to Seattle before Feb, you want I should have already hired on or to you want to play that out IC?

He's a dab hand below decks, a 'miracle' worker you might say, just the guy you want if your doing routine maintenance on a budget...

Who is, technically, the ships Engineer?
BlackHat
Alright, I'm fine with assuming you've already joined the crew, too. Since you started so far away, I wasn't sure if we wanted to RP through meeting up at some point.

Engineer? I don't think we have a dedicated engineer - it would probably depend on the proble (which tech skill it required to fix it).

it might be worthwhile to get a sense of everyone's mechanic skills in various areas, and assume that whoever has the highest dice pool in an area is the guy generally in charge of fixing it.
TheOneRonin

Des is right out. If it doesn't have to do with guns, explosives, diving, or piloting, then it's someone else's forte.
crizh
I ain't no whizz with machines, 2's in Aero, Nautical and Industrial and that's 'wires' not real skill.

However, if it's made from metal it isn't broken...

(Shape - Metal)

If it ain't metal but it ain't broke it doesn't need replaced.

(Fix)

If it's a drone it's remarkably resilient.

(Deflection + Reinforce)

And if the feces ever really hits the rotating blades, Squid here can be any sort of world-class Mechanic you need.

(Task Spirits)
pragma
Guy's got respectable hardware, software and computer skills (4 in each, plus a bunch of mods).
Method
Sorry I couldn't post today- it was a little hectic. Things seem to be coming together nicely though. I'll try to push things forward a little tomorrow, at least for Lidralyn. The rest of you can RP the team's reunion (Guy and Pee Pee) if you want. Otherwise I'll jump you to the meet in a day or two.

[edit]also if anyone wants to do any legwork before the meet you can work that into your posts as well...[/edit]

OneRonin: how do you want to handle the interactions between Des and Tabitha? I think I'd prefer to let you handle the romance stuff and I'll only utilize her if she becomes central to the plot.

While we're on the subject (and since we didn't really discuss this previously) does anybody have specific preferences on how they want to handle contacts? Its cool with me if you guys want to describe any interactions that occur tangential to the plot and I'll just "jump into them" for legwork, fencing, etc. or when I see an opportunity to advance the story (as I did with Doc and Yojimbo- hope you don't mind BlackHat and OneRonin). I think that tends to work best in a PbP game. If anybody would prefer me to RP their contacts altogether let me know.

BlackHat
Engineering stuff....

Technical Dice Pools:

- Industrial Mechanic 5 (Salvage 7)
- Nautical Mechanic 7
- Automotive Mechanic 5 (Anthroform 7)
- Aeronautics Mechanic 5
- Armorer 5
- Hardware 5
- Forgery 5
- Locksmith 5

So, probably, Carter or his contact Doc do most of the work on the ship (Doc when it is in Port, and Carter on the sea), with magical assistance from Petwo whenever it would save time (shaping a part, fixing a damaged but unbroken piece, etc).

Contact stuff... that plan sounds fine.
TheOneRonin
QUOTE (Method @ Jun 10 2008, 03:50 AM) *
OneRonin: how do you want to handle the interactions between Des and Tabitha? I think I'd prefer to let you handle the romance stuff and I'll only utilize her if she becomes central to the plot.

I'm not picky about the Des+Tabitha thing. The romance part just helps explain her high loyalty. In general, I see their relationship like this: he really cares about her, but can't commit, she really cares about him, but doesn't have much in the way of patience for his "non-committal crap or his silly treasure hunting bullshit". Sorta like "Taming of the Shrew", but not that extreme. Tabitha is incredibly practical and pragmatic, so that makes her very rough on Desmond. But her harshness never breaks or even slightly affects his behavior towards her, which usually infuriates her even more. cool.gif

Honestly, I'm totally okay with you running the whole thing. If you've ever been in a relationship with a girl who loved you but couldn't stand you, you know exactly how this will play out. wink.gif

While we're on the subject (and since we didn't really discuss this previously) does anybody have specific preferences on how they want to handle contacts? Its cool with me if you guys want to describe any interactions that occur tangential to the plot and I'll just "jump into them" for legwork, fencing, etc. or when I see an opportunity to advance the story (as I did with Doc and Yojimbo- hope you don't mind BlackHat and OneRonin). I think that tends to work best in a PbP game. If anybody would prefer me to RP their contacts altogether let me know.

The way I see it, contacts are NPCs...so they essentially belong to the GM, just like the rest of the NPCs in the game. It's the players job to lay out the base details, and to quantify the relationships between their characters and his/her contacts, but the rest is pretty much up to the GM. I don't think anyone should have a problem with you handling our contacts as you see fit. Like I said, they are NPCs.

DireRadiant
Bart
Logic 5 + Cerebral Booster 2 + PuSHeD 1 + Hardware 6 + Encephalon 1 (+ NeoCortical Neural Amplifier 3)= 15-18
Logic 5 + Cerebral Booster 2 + PuSHeD 1 + Industrial Mechanic 4 + Encephalon 1 (+ NeoCortical Neural Amplifier 3)= 13-16
Agility 5 + Muscle Toner 2 + Locksmith 3 + Enhanced Articulation 1 = 11

Somewhat specialized. smile.gif

Bart has the biotech group, so unless someone else wants to step into that, he can "play" medic with a pool of 10 dice in those skills.
BlackHat
So, defaulting to other mechanic checks, Bart is at 5+2+1+1-1 = 9 dice?
Some can't be defaulted to (nautical mechanics) but some can, I think. Bart is looking pretty good for those.
Method
QUOTE (TheOneRonin @ Jun 10 2008, 04:18 AM) *
If you've ever been in a relationship with a girl who loved you but couldn't stand you, you know exactly how this will play out.

Yeah, actually I married her... wobble.gif

And just so no one feels marginalized: as far as the technical skills are concerned there should be opportunities for everyone to shine in their various areas of expertise. Some technical exploits where a part of the plan even before this team was assembled, but I can really go nuts with these characters.
crizh
QUOTE (Method @ Jun 10 2008, 05:33 PM) *

Clean up on aisle six, clean up on aisle six, monitor sprayed with coke on aisle six....

Didn't we all?
TheOneRonin
QUOTE (Method @ Jun 10 2008, 12:33 PM) *

Yeah...so did I. Sorta. Mine just got like that AFTER the wedding.

I suppose it's a good thing that I built in a relationship for Des that EVERYONE can relate to. biggrin.gif

DireRadiant
bart's Contacts

[ Spoiler ]
DireRadiant
Bart has a Desk Top Forge, which may be useful for helping fix or make things.
pragma
Finishing up the last drops of chargen -- I'm dropping my last 2 BP into gear and pulling the point of edge that had me 10 BP over 400 (whoops!)

ECM 6 (6000)
Directional Jammer 6 (3000)
200 ink grenades (1000)

And I'm spent. I'll probably change the 200 ink grenades to something else, but having a crate of those around is kind of fun.
Method
pragma- do you mean 450? If you built to 400 you are 50 BP short. smile.gif
pragma
I do mean 450 -- It works just fine.
BlackHat
Oh I did forget to roll for starting cash! Probably important if we're already looking at repairs. wink.gif

4d6x100 = 18x100 = 1800

Link: http://invisiblecastle.com/roller/view/1624451/ (let me know if I did that wrong. First time using it)
Method
Ok, sorry again for my delays. I'm up to my eye balls in USMLE... bleck!!!

Blackhat: That looks good.

I'm going to hand wave the ship repairs- that was mostly to give you guys a context for pulling the crew together and looking for work. Besides, with a weekend to kill these guys should have no problem getting the ship in order. I'll give the team another day or so to hammer out where the hell everyone is (Pee-Pee?) and then I'll jump to the meet with Kurita. Feel free to post any legwork, etc...

DireRadiant
Has everyone been told IC about the meet with Kurita at the Strip House monday 8 pm?
BlackHat
Given that its been about 2 days since we got the news, I would say probably. Its the first good news our crew has heard in a bit, I think.
crizh
QUOTE (Method @ Jun 12 2008, 09:10 AM) *
Ok, sorry again for my delays. I'm up to my eye balls in USMLE... bleck!!!

Blackhat: That looks good.

I'm going to hand wave the ship repairs- that was mostly to give you guys a context for pulling the crew together and looking for work. Besides, with a weekend to kill these guys should have no problem getting the ship in order. I'll give the team another day or so to hammer out where the hell everyone is (Pee-Pee?) and then I'll jump to the meet with Kurita. Feel free to post any legwork, etc...

I'll be below decks setting up.

I'm running numbers at the moment with regards to wards. Trying to find the right balance between coverage, security and resource management.

I don't think it's going to be feasible to ward any significant percentage of the whole ship, it's just much, much too big.

I'm thinking about targeting selected areas, Bridge, Engine Room, Moonpool etc. I think I can probably manage a rolling program of maintenance sufficient to keep 6300 cubic meters of the ship covered with Wards of Rating 6. That would have to cover all the Drones and Vehicles as well.

I think I'll set his lodge up in the Moonpool area which will add another 288 cubic meters of coverage that won't have to be constantly renewed.

Without deckplans I can't be very specific, I'll just Ward all the areas the Captain tells me are most vital.

So, Captain? What do you want warded?
BlackHat
Well, I think the moonpool is rather exposed to the elements - so I would actually advise against warding it or putting lodge materials there (also, its not a closed area, so I'm not sure how well it could be done).

I think if we focus on warding the areas we'll spend the most time in, or don't want anyone else peeking at. I would say, prioritize in this order: Barracks, Storage (including smuggling storage compartments), and crew stations. After that, conference/war room, and whereever else you like (bathroom?)

Does that seem reasonable to everyone else? Any other ideas?

Nothing we do is going to keep a spirit or an astral mage from taking a tour of the place... we just don't want him to be able to peek at our secrets, or attack us when our defenses are down (asleep, total VR, focused on repairs, etc).

Meanwhile, conjuring up a number of weak spirits for patrol purposes might serve us better given the large area we want to search, and how quickly they can move about the ship compared to us - especially if you can get a smaller number of good spirits, with some power that would let them easily detect if anyone is around (astrally, or otherwise).

When we're out at sea, we're probably generally, the only people around for miles. Anyone else in the area is bad news, unlike in the city, where telling a spirit to alert you if it notices anyone within a mile would mean it was constantly annoying you.
Method
I can whip up some floor plans for the ship, but its unlikely that I will have much time until the first week of July. That might work out okay though because at the rate we're going we probably won't need detailed floor plans until then anyway. If you want to post IC that Pee-Pee is warding the ship and setting up a lodge we can just retcon all the details later.
crizh
I kinda imagined that the Moonpool would be below decks. Is that not the idea?

I also would have said particularly the smuggling compartments....

The crane is also something I would recommend putting a serious ward on.

Can you imagine the havoc a possessed crane could wreak?

Watchers on Patrol? Good plan, I hadn't thought of that but I like it. I had also forgotten about the 'Plast-Eel' which is my mini Homonculus designed specifically for Watchers. It's useless in combat but tough and strong, should make a useful little dogsbody and errand boy.
Method
QUOTE (crizh @ Jun 12 2008, 12:40 PM) *
Can you imagine the havoc a possessed crane could wreak?

Hmmm... I hadn't thought of that... vegm.gif (J/K)

I envision the moon pool being open air- mini subs and larger drones would be difficult to store below decks. It would basically be like a shaft that passes all the way through the hull. If we are using this image as a model for the Odyssey it would probably be located in that large open area aft of the crane. See below.
crizh
I was looking at the other image you posted. What are the dimensions of the one you linked above?
Method
I think BlackHat was using this one to estimate the Mage Sight measurements, but we could use either.

For the image linked above:
- The overall length is approximately 75 meters.
- At 75 meters length the ship is 16 meters wide.
- That would make the forward part (where most of the crew spaces are located) about 35 meters in length.
- It looks to me like there are at least 3 floors and a bridge above deck and there is probably a cargo hold and engine room below deck.

Does that help at all?

[edit]
Here are some images of a ship that is similar to the drawing (with a helipad up front): 1 2 3 4
And here is an image showing a moon pool at midship (maybe that square area on the drawing is a moon pool): A
[/edit]
crizh
So the square on the deck next to the crane would be a cover for the Moonpool, which is just a straight shaft leading all the way down through the hull?

And we keep the drones and other sub-marine vehicles on deck and lower them down the shaft using the crane?

Looking at those numbers and bearing in mind that the ship tapers towards both the prow and the keel we may be able to Ward almost all of that forward section.
Method
QUOTE (crizh @ Jun 12 2008, 01:58 PM) *
So the square on the deck next to the crane would be a cover for the Moonpool, which is just a straight shaft leading all the way down through the hull?
Yes

And we keep the drones and other sub-marine vehicles on deck and lower them down the shaft using the crane?
Yes, probably. Really only the largest drones would require the crane.

The moon pool would allow access to the water that is protected from surface conditions (waves, etc). It could be used to launch and recover drones, hoist wreckage up from the bottom or deploy divers.

I'm thinking the forward area at deck level could be an open-bay shop- almost like a garage that opens onto to deck. Drones and equipment could be stored there and wheeled out to the moon pool for deployment.

Also that open area aft of the crane is probably routinely used to launch and recover flying drones and could probably be used to land a small VTOL craft in an emergency.
Method
Here is a summary of how I see the ship being organized (from bottom up):

Below Deck:
- Forward: Cargo Hold
- Aft: Engine Room

Deck:
- Forward: Open-bay Shop Area (for big jobs and drone storage)
- Aft: Open Deck and Moon Pool

Level 1:
- Smaller Work Areas (for small jobs) and Storage

Level 2:
- Crew Cabins

Level 3:
- Galley, War Room

Bridge

Can anyone think of anything else that should be included?
BlackHat
Some sort of cabin. Maybe a security room (where all these optical cables run, ad where security rigging would be done). Not sure of what else.
Method
You mean besides the Bridge? A panic room or something?
BlackHat
ha, didn't see the bridge on the previous post. That makes for a cabin. For the security room, I was thinking something along the lines of a panic room - but security could also just be stationed in the bridge. (which would probably make thingsmore convenient 99% of the time.
Method
Sorry folks. I was hoping to post this weekend, but I was slammed. I will bump things forward (to the meet) tomorrow.

Last call for posting pre-meet stuff (Des lunch with Tabitha?)...
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Dumpshock Forums © 2001-2012