Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: 10 grand by 7PM or the man gets it
Dumpshock Forums > Discussion > Shadowrun
Chrysalis
Greets,

I seem to be posting alot in this forum. I am not sure if its because I am unemployed or is it because of something else. Whatever.

My character is currently in a bit of a bind. Hard burn in the last mission meant forced relocation to somewhere less flammable. At the moment stuff is in boxes and everyone is snipy. The face, my character, has been given the task on making some money quick. Now I am not saying that my character is running with a cut-throat band of mercenaries, but when money is tight we all start eyeing each other in not the nice way.

So it is 7AM and a fresh face in the Seattle night life. How can a girl in her summer of youth gain a coll 10 grand of nuyen to impress her team mates and make sure she is not sold down to the local chop shop in the mean time. Anything goes.

Ideas?
Cthulhudreams
Triangle button cars. biggrin.gif wink.gif
Zak
As brought up in other threads: This really depends on your skillset and your connections.

You stated you are a Face, which gives us something to play with. But Conjobs usually take some time.
Can you hack? This opens up alot of quick possibilities.

hyzmarca
Step A: Walk into a bank.
Step B: Apply for a 10K loan
Step C: Pull out your gun and inform the loan officer that you'd really like it in certified cred before you leave.
Step D: Start making your low monthly payments.

If your face is good and has a that will pass inspection SIN, real or fake, you don't even need the gun.
Fortune
QUOTE (Chrysalis @ Jun 6 2008, 10:32 AM) *
I seem to be posting alot in this forum. I am not sure if its because I am unemployed or is it because of something else.

Dumpshock is very addictive. wink.gif biggrin.gif
CanRay
If not a bank, a Lone Shark.

Or, find a Pimp, shoot him in the head, and present the Pimpmobile as worth far more than 10K nuyen.gif .
Velocity219e
QUOTE (CanRay @ Jun 6 2008, 02:27 AM) *
If not a bank, a Lone Shark.

Or, find a Pimp, shoot him in the head, and present the Pimpmobile as worth far more than 10K nuyen.gif .

Hell he said anything, a face must have the contacts to move a couple kidneys, a liver, one or two eyes and some other goodies no questions asked.

get the car / corpse / goodies from the ex pimp. I'd say you could get 20 - 30k easy, not something I'd wanna do regularly because it has its dangerous aspects, and if you get caught out you'll end up with an appauling reputation, but I'd certainly consider it in a pinch if I couldn't cheat rob and steal (social / stealth adept wink.gif )
Chrysalis
This is about breaking into the business.

I have principle there are two types of criminal. Those who look like gangsters but behave like wankers and those who are gangsters but behave like professionals.

So again, my character is 28 year old Hungarian national washed ashore on the fair shores of Seattle, she is good with her tongue and is willing to do anything to make money - anything, that breaks her into the game. If it is playing a high-stakes game of poker then so be it. But it really should be about the money and not about being a punk with a gun who blows away someone's boy friday to only piss all over herself with the local constabulary and fellow shadowrunners.

As to walking in a bank and taking a loan. I suppose it would work if not all the SINless with fake SINs decided that Seattle is their London.

Her current team just got burned in another city. Everyone is a bit on the edge and nothing soothes like walking back to her team with a large wad of cold cash. You alright with my summarization of goals, aims, and targets?
Starmage21
QUOTE (Chrysalis @ Jun 6 2008, 08:08 AM) *
This is about breaking into the business.

I have principle there are two types of criminal. Those who look like gangsters but behave like wankers and those who are gangsters but behave like professionals.

So again, my character is 28 year old Hungarian national washed ashore on the fair shores of Seattle, she is good with her tongue and is willing to do anything to make money - anything, that breaks her into the game. If it is playing a high-stakes game of poker then so be it. But it really should be about the money and not about being a punk with a gun who blows away someone's boy friday to only piss all over herself with the local constabulary and fellow shadowrunners.

As to walking in a bank and taking a loan. I suppose it would work if not all the SINless with fake SINs decided that Seattle is their London.

Her current team just got burned in another city. Everyone is a bit on the edge and nothing soothes like walking back to her team with a large wad of cold cash. You alright with my summarization of goals, aims, and targets?

Theres always prostitution
Chrysalis
Which I have to say I have not discounted it is just finding the johns at 2000 nuyen an hour.
Dumori
what skills do you have? Do odd jobs build up contacts in the long term this means that you've got a good number of "friends" to fall back on. Short term walking to a club catering for rich corp kids blag your way in to his house kill him and loot, steal some thing or just ask for a gift. Keep him on good terms and you may even get a nice rich contact and some place to crash for free.
hyzmarca
Billiards. Hustle Billiards.
Chrysalis
QUOTE (Dumori @ Jun 6 2008, 05:07 PM) *
what skills do you have?

Her speciality skills are in the influence group of charisma skills, as well as infiltration, perception, and medicine.

-Chrysalis

Dumori
Odd jobs, and charming rich men are what I would do. Its legal prostitution you just go "I would really like <insert expensive item (or im just broke sob story losing the house ect.)>" and use edge on your roll and hope. asking for a car or a good comlink should get you some money even if that from selling the out dated version of the item as i can see if your using the guy a as ATM for a while he may wonder why you sold that 10k comlink he got you the other day.
CanRay
QUOTE (Chrysalis @ Jun 6 2008, 11:38 AM) *
Her speciality skills are in the influence group of charisma skills, as well as infiltration, perception, and medicine.

-Chrysalis

Sneak into a Gang with lots of Cybernetics, use Medicine skill to dope one of the thugs with lots of fancy toys, surgically remove them quickly, and find a Street Doc to sell them to.
MaxHunter
go to a high level nightclub, get a vip pass, con a corporate moron with a nice car into driving you home, sleep the guy with a dose of laes (which, of course, you should get beforehand) and sell the 60k car to a group of nice chop shop gentlemen (which you should have contacted earlier on) do this quickly before the owner wakes up and starts making phonecalls, you could get a nice 10k clean out of that. (and probably an enemy, so watch your back)
Cheers,

Max
kanislatrans
QUOTE (Chrysalis @ Jun 6 2008, 12:38 PM) *

-Chrysalis

I'm seeing a sneak/con your way into a hospital and make off with some chemicals kinda job. Even if the only things you get are antibiotics and pain pills they should bring a decent price in any street clinic.

Easiest would be a public General hospital since they are usually understaffed and quite chaotic most of the time. makes it easy for someone in a white coat to just walk in pick up some stuff and walk out.
Velocity219e
QUOTE (kanislatrans @ Jun 7 2008, 05:16 AM) *
I'm seeing a sneak/con your way into a hospital and make off with some chemicals kinda job. Even if the only things you get are antibiotics and pain pills they should bring a decent price in any street clinic.

Easiest would be a public General hospital since they are usually understaffed and quite chaotic most of the time. makes it easy for someone in a white coat to just walk in pick up some stuff and walk out.

Now thats a good one smile.gif a backpack full of antibiotics and stuff, help the homeless and get your self a wedge too smile.gif
MaxHunter
I like it too! and it's quite easy on the gm too; tell him to check out "critical care" iirc in the missions section of the sr page.

Cheers!

Max
Method
Find a temp agency that hires out maids. Figure out which maids work for the rich folk, slip them a mickey and show up in their place. Jewelry would probably be the way to go- easy to conceal, easy to transport, high street value and virtually untraceable (assuming you don't steal any one piece that is ridiculously valuable). People also tend not to lock up their prescription drugs at home.

"The agency sent me over because Juanita called in sick... Where do you want me to start?"
JudgementLoaf
Blackmail.

Get attached to some high-rollers arm over the course of an evening, dig out all his/her dirty secrets and then sell them off to the highest bidder. You might even find a another run that way, a way for the team as a whole to make a LOT more cash in the long run.
masterofm
Steal

a

limo

nuff said. Even if you get 10% of it's value your set.
CanRay
QUOTE (masterofm @ Jun 8 2008, 08:24 PM) *
Steal

a

limo

nuff said. Even if you get 10% of it's value your set.

Make sure you're playing Alice Cooper's "Steal That Car" while doing it. Gives it a Classical Music Touch. nyahnyah.gif
Mickle5125
find a drug dealer(#1).
shoot said dealer in the head.
loot the body.
pocket the cash.
take the drugs to the next dealer(#2) over and offer to sell him the bloodstained drugs at a discount.
go to the next dealer(#3) over.
loot the body.
pocket the cash.
take the drugs to the next dealer(#2) over and offer to sell him the bloodstained drugs at a discount.
lather.
rinse.
repeat.
Sir_Psycho
Why do posters repeatedly suggest stealing a car? She's a face, not a rigger or tech expert capable of stealing a car. She's also not a hacker, so she can't cover the datatrail that would be involved in stealing a car.

It's 7am, so it's too early to really start exploiting people at bars. Perhaps find an exclusive cafe on the waterfront full of wealthy corporate sharks, and squeeze them for cash over their eggs benedict. Pander to their affluent sense of bravado, and make them feel like they have to make their wallet work to charm you. If they fall for it, and feel the need to bed you and be late for work, dangle them on a thread and then hit them with an ultimatum. Something like "Ooh, I like the look of that diamond necklace/car/Designer clothing/etc. give it to me and I'll give you what you want". Once you're done with them, fence whatever you seduced out of them with a callous cool.

Hell, with your charisma and social DP's, you could get a quick job as a waitress at a nice hotel/restaurant/cafe, and easily make a couple of thou in tips.

But perhaps you're coming at this from the wrong angle. The way shadowrunners make money is shadowrunning, which is a team sport. You, as the face, can probably prove your worth to the team better through your facility as a face. Contacts. Contacts are expensive, and coming back to the group with 10k in cred pales in comparison to coming back and saying "I've got us a reliable ID manufacturer, and he's willing to give us a 30% discount when we buy in bulk". Just think of contacts that would be useful for the team and go hunting. Corp execs, researchers, even paper-pushers and secretaries are good corp resources. Fences, mechanics, ID manufacturers, gangsters, gangers, armorers, hackers, fixers, etc. Go open up some new oportunities for the team to get some new and valuable friends, and they'll be grateful.

Given that I'm pretty sure you're talking about Vera, feel free to enlist Beta's help if you're going to run any cons, as a dedicated hacker backing you up should prove invaluable to subterfuge. Anyway, Beta and Vera seem to have a decent rapport going, despite their huge dissimilarities. They are the only europeans on the team, though, and Vera did buy Beta a pack of cigarettes. Also, I'm bored, and wouldn't mind putting my hacking DP's to the test.
Chrysalis
I was thinking about this in the shower today. I do some of my best thinking in the shower to be honest.

The way I see it, is that Seattle is the mecca of Shadowrunners hard to walk into the local Stuffer Shack without stumbling over Shadowrunners.

First of all, I need to multiply my cash of 1500 nuyen.

9 AM crowd at the Hyatt gives me access to those who do not have work a day job. GFE for a lonely businessman is possible but demands a bit of hacking (Beta's job). As prostitution is semilegal in Seattle it is just simply safer that the client tips in the form of gratuities such as clothing and jewellery.

NOON. Lunch time for the rich and powerful. 50 nuyen meals. It's all right, but not great as most are also working at that point.

6PM gives us the wageslave crowd. I aim for the high stress high end crowd. Heavy drinkers and they have to be pretty much paid to get into their pocket. Because of their high stress jobs and long work hours, they not only want a lover, but a mother with benefits.

8PM. High class society. Older crowd. Gallery openings and private social galas. You need invites and class. More hacking involved.

10PM Clubs open their doors. Great time to get to know the floor manager and score a job as a waitress.

1 AM. The movers and shakers start circulating. You get a good feel of the Johnsons around.

Fuchs
I'd consider a few risks with the "prostitution angle" - they are not that high, especially not given your character's social abilities and seeing that this seems more of a one time plan, not a regular side business. But they might "spice things up" a bit.

If you're running with a crew who might sell your organs in lean times, then impressing them with how much money you can make in a day might also get them thinking about making you work like that every day for them. A ritual sample or a kink bomb goes a long way for motivation.

Another risk is the established business. You might not want to meet Guido and Nunzio, or Takashi and Hanzo, who present you with a job opportunity you can't say no to.

Some client might want to do nastier stuff to your character than screwing her.
Faelan
Sounds like you might be better off setting up a high stakes card game, and cleaning house. Prostitution is just asking for trouble, afterall you are the face, which in my mind means everyone else does the dirty work.
Sweaty Hippo
QUOTE (Mickle5125 @ Jun 8 2008, 09:44 PM) *
find a drug dealer(#1).
loot the body.
pocket the cash.
go to the next dealer(#3) over.
loot the body.
pocket the cash.
lather.
rinse.
repeat.

Most drug dealers have plenty of hired muscle, plus this idea may work better if you have an Adept or Street Samurai to do the fighting for you.
IQ Zero
QUOTE (Faelan @ Jun 9 2008, 08:47 PM) *
Sounds like you might be better off setting up a high stakes card game, and cleaning house. Prostitution is just asking for trouble, afterall you are the face, which in my mind means everyone else does the dirty work.
It depends though, the face in my game is also a Shaman of the Seductress with a geas of needing sex every 24 hours to cast her spells.
hyzmarca
There are all kinds of prostitution. In addition to the standard prostitution, you have chess prostitution (where people pay to play chess with you) and other varieties of board game prostitution (my favorite being stratego prostitution), tapdancing prostitution (where people pay to see you tapdance), stomping prostitution (in fact, there is a variety of prostitution for everything that you can do with your feet), twincest prostitution (all you need to fake it is partner with a physical mask spell or a willingness to undergo surgery), and stun baton prostitution (where people pay you to strike them repeatedly with a stun baton in very sensitive places). There are others, as well, the vast majority of which don't involve any actual sex. And, of course, there is even matrix prostitution where you can literally be and do anything.

High stakes poker is good work for a highly perceptive face. Poker is all about deception. The ability to both decive and to see through deception gives one a decisive advantage.
Velocity219e
QUOTE (IQ Zero @ Jun 10 2008, 04:53 AM) *
It depends though, the face in my game is also a Shaman of the Seductress with a geas of needing sex every 24 hours to cast her spells.

Really must persuade my other half to initiate using that geas smile.gif
Sir_Psycho
Drop me a line IC, I'd love to help with this, and Vera's agents don't have an exploit IIRC.

Beta wouldn't have a problem with this, after all. Despite her charisma 1 and lack of self-confidence, she is essentially amoral, only observing science in favour of social niceties. And if you record full-X Sim and fuel Beta's voyeuristic simsense addiction, you wouldn't even have to give her a cut.

So, to further posters in the thread, perhaps you should include having a 16+ DP hacker in thrall in your suggestions.
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Dumpshock Forums © 2001-2012