Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Absorbtion and AoE nit pick
Dumpshock Forums > Discussion > Shadowrun
Pages: 1, 2
Ryu
QUOTE (Apathy @ Jun 12 2008, 09:13 PM) *
Say I hear that you're about to pay a hit man to kill me. I hack into your bank account and 'transfer' half the money in your account to my account. This gives me additional resources to buy my own hitman. The transfer also serves to reduce what was originally in your account. So I'd disagree that a transfer is not a reduction. A transfer is both a reduction for you and an incremental increase for me.

But a transfer of enemy hits (your successes from the spell resistance test) to your next drain test is exactly what happens. If the force of the spell remains untouched, other targets are not suddenly outside the AoE, which would have been my major concern.
WeaverMount
that would be cool if they had said absorb hits. But they said absorb Force as 'temporary mana charge'.
Muspellsheimr
As I said before, Absorb is not automatically synonymous with Reduce, and is sometimes opposed to it. The description does not specify it reduces the Force of a spell, and so it does not. If you want to run it differently, I will not argue further.

If you do decide to run it as reducing the Force directly, then in regards to AoE spells, it would reduce the Force and all derived effects (base damage, maximum hits) for you and you alone. It would not reduce the AoE. This is partially to avoid unnecessary game complications, and partially because it makes sense - you are reducing the portion of the spell affecting you. I would also strongly recommend that you have it reduce Force instead of providing Hits on your Spell Resistance; if it does both, it becomes obscenely powerful.
Faelan
It is an Advanced Metamagic, they do tend to be obscenely powerful.
Fortune
QUOTE (Malicant @ Jun 12 2008, 10:04 PM) *
Need to get my old SR fluff out of my head ...

Happens to me all the time. biggrin.gif
Faelan
Well just to toss my two cents in, and to see if I just don't get the magic system (which I seriously doubt).

Force is the amount of energy put into a spell or rather its raw power. Absorbing Force would logically reduce said power. For Absorption not to work this way would mean that Force as a measurement of raw power would be different based on what kind of spell it is. That makes no sense whatsoever.
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Dumpshock Forums © 2001-2012