Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Skillwires
Dumpshock Forums > Discussion > Shadowrun
Pages: 1, 2
Jason Farlander
I realized the other night that I have not ever had a player use skillwires. It seemed to me, especially with things like optimization and DIMAP and chipjack expert drivers, that a skillwired character would not only be a lot of fun to play (providing a whole new meaning to the saying "I know everything"), but would also hold up rather well against other sorts of archetypal characters.

So, to verify my assumptions, I went about making one. After playing with it for a while, I realized that there was a discrepancy between my understanding of the wording in the BBB and the CC. My current understanding is that, the term "Max Rating" refers to the sum total of all simultaneously running chips. As such, following, the formula for skillwire system cost:

nuyen.gif = (max rating) X (max total MP) X 500

A system that would allow you to run 2 rating 5 activesofts simultaneously would cost:

10 X 150 X 500 = 750,000 nuyen.gif

Assuming every single chip you buy is also optimized (as per the CC option), that could be 375,000 nuyen.gif (with the tradeoff of doubling chip cost)...
but anyway... I suppose I should ask my questions.

1) Is my understanding of the cost calculation currently correct? (check out that alliteration!)

2) How many skills is it really reasonable to expect to use simultaneously?

3) Would switching out softs be a free action (assuming, perhaps, either a 4-slot chipjack or that a number of softs are in headware memory)? "Activate cyberware" is a free action, but the description of what "activate cyberware actually" means is a bit different than this.

4) Has anyone ever played with a skillwired character and found it to be both fun and worth the cost?
Nomad
I work under the assumption that anything over a rating 3 chip is exceedingly hard to come by, given that 3 is considered trainded in the Shadowrun skillsystem.

Most of my characters use skillwires at level 3 because of the flexibility it gives a character. without making that character too broken.
Ol' Scratch
I absolutely adore skillwires, especially if used with a bit of reason by the player (as opposed to totally munching them out). One of my favorite combos of implants included:

* Obvious Cyberforearm with a Custom Finish (Silver) and Engraving options (taken from the Firearm Creation rules) just to make it look cool for 40,200 nuyen.
* Skillwires ASIST 4/Pulse 24 for 48,000 nuyen.
* DNI-Controlled Skillsoft Jukebox with 10 Ports at 24 Mp each installed the forearm for 28,800 nuyen.
* Chipjack with Chipjack Expert Driver 3 routed to the cyberforearm for 17,000 nuyen.
* ActiveSofts 4 with the Customized option for 24,000 nuyen a pop or Optimized for 9,600 nuyen a pop.

I usually didn't bother with DIMAP softs as the costs were too great and I don't like using Skillsofts for weapon skills anyway. I kept them around for those skills you're unlikely to really ever need or want to train in, but which might come in handy sometimes. Skills like Parachuting, Diving, Submarines, Fixed-Wing Aircraft, and Lockpicking. I'd also use them for Technical and Build/Repair skills and things like that, as well as obscure weapons like Gunnery and Launch Weapons. I also never really bothered to get wires that could support more than one skill at a time, as it rarely comes up outside of using Stealth or Athletics at the same time.

It really depends on what you're trying to build, however. The 'wires I mentioned above would routinely give a character approximately 7 to 8 dice on most tests, and that's almost too many in most situations. Especially since I only used 'em for Skills that don't normally allow the use of pools to begin with, so even a well-trained doctor would have a hard time keeping up with your slotted Biotech skill.

But for the most part, yes, your calculations above looked right to me. Just decide what skillsofts you're going to use your wires with before you get them, then build the implants around that.
Tanka
Never, never, never take Combat skillsofts. I doubt you'd want to be in the middle of a firefight waiting for your Assault Rifles 6 skill to load while your teammates are all being shot up. Learn all your Combat skills the natural way, and do other things with Skillsofts. Just as long as you aren't in combat or in a huge rush, you should be fine using them.
Jason Farlander
Well, the BBB lists the availability of activesofts at 6, regardless of rating. Optimization adds 2 to the availability, but 8 is still doable under standard chargen rules. The difference is that a rating 5 soft costs about 3 times as much as a rating 3 soft. I understand that in different games house rules apply... but I would like a strictly canon perspective.

(Edit: this was to Nomad... )
nezumi
It's probably 'reasonable' to only use 1, MAYBE 2 skills at the same time. The only thing I can think of that you might need to do without 3 seconds to swap chips would be combat, and it's pretty useful to actually know how to use your guns without having to fiddle with your ware.

I'd guess that swapping disks that you already have in the jack would be a simple action (it needs time to download into headware). Grabbing the chip out of a bag would be complex.

I've made two skillwired characters, and they were both pretty neat. This is especially true of the pre-eratta CED. I've only done this so far with B&E characters, since the system really is very essence expensive, and since B&E really requires a very diverse skill set. It's just a fun idea, IMO, that I can go buy a chip for 'pilot helicopter' and off we go. Unfortunately, it still requires a bit of preparation, since I can't usually by the chips while I'm in the corp facility. And normally I just end up needing either a drive skill or a weapons skill (one in memory and one in the jack so I can swap 'em when I need to), since nothing else really comes up that often. But from what I've seen, activeware is really only a benefit early on in the game. Unless you're a mage (in which case it'll be a low level system anyway), you normally end up with a fair bit of karma you can put into random fun skills to get them to level 3, and the only skills you really want at 4+ you probably want to actually know. But they do take up a lot of essence, so you can't get a lot of other neat systems and really I could have gotten just as good results by swapping money priority with skill priority.

I've gone ahead and put the knowledge soft link on my decker, since that's very essence friendly and probably also pretty fun (if I'm reading the rules right, you don't need the whole skillwire system for knowledge soft, just the reader thingy). But we all know how often we use knowledge skills...
Ol' Scratch
Right. Skillwires are only needed for ActiveSofts. All other Skillsofts can get away with just a Chipjack or Knowsoft Link.
spotlite
Don't forget that the thing with skill wires is you can have a max MP rating completely unrelated to the max soft rating. So if you have (shudder) Max 10 rating/300MP wires, you could load one R10 skill. Hooray! But really, are you going to need, let alone find a R10 active skillsoft? Ignoring the street index and availability and that, think about how these things get programmed. You'd need someone that good, then be able to get a year or so of their time to gather data... prohibitively expensive if you ask me. No-one would do it except as a custom job. But with Rating 10 capable wires you could reasonably acquire and use a rating 6 soft, which only needs 108MP. Far cheaper. And with only 108 MP, but a max R10 set of wires, you can instead run 3 R3 chips with MP to spare. Or with an extra 48 MP on that you could run a R6 and a R4. A skill soft jukebox and you're away.

That's why I like skillwires. Very expensive, especially if you want them at a higher grade, but those kind of limits and flexibility DO make an interesting character to play. They can get kinda abusively powerful if you let them, but anything can be munchkinned if you try hard enough and really want to for some reason. Just keep the skill levels reasonable/realistic, and you can really get some enjoyment out of it. Just do try not to overshadow the other players if you can do things better than them. Do your best to complement the team. I'm sure you would anyway, I just think that with this type of character you sometimes have to really watch out for it cos its very easy to get carried away!

EDIT - on the subject of how many to allow running at once, I'm not sure if there's a canon quote, but we've always played max # skills =MaxRating/2. Otherwise what's the point of a skillsoft jukebox except as a handy data terminal. The idea is to run them concurrently imho. That's why they're so expensive in terms of both essence and cash, because they ARE powerful (and difficult to make, and harsh on body infiltration).
Ol' Scratch
Eh? Skillsoft Jukeboxes costs exactly as much as a standard computer with an equal amount of megapulses would cost. A Skillsoft Jukebox with 10 100 Mp ports costs 20,000 nuyen. A Desktop Computer with 1,000 Mp (10*100) costs... 20,000 nuyen. The fact that the Jukebox is basically a Pocket Computer (Concealability 3 for both) actually makes it significantly cheaper, as Pocket Computers normally cost five times as much.

The real question is why the frag computers cost so damn much in Shadowrun, or why a Skillsoft Jukebox has to have all of the chips loaded into its memory instead of just swapping them in a more sane fashion. smile.gif
spotlite
I didn't mean jukeboxes were expensive, I meant the wires themselves. Sorry.

I was just saying what's the point of a jukebox if not to run them concurrently, otherwise you may as well as you say just buy a pocket secretary or whatever. Its an external way of getting multiple chipjacks, the only point of which in the first place could be so you could access a number of different things at once, rather than switching between them.
Ol' Scratch
Uhm, no... the point is that you can freely switch between them rather than having to slot a new one each time. Sure, you can do it with Headware Memory or a Pocket Computer, but Headware Memory is insanely priced (and costs way too much Essence), and a Pocket Computer is five times more expensive.
Sphynx
QUOTE (Jason Farlander)
I realized the other night that I have not ever had a player use skillwires. It seemed to me, especially with things like optimization and DIMAP and chipjack expert drivers, that a skillwired character would not only be a lot of fun to play (providing a whole new meaning to the saying "I know everything"), but would also hold up rather well against other sorts of archetypal characters.

So, to verify my assumptions, I went about making one. After playing with it for a while, I realized that there was a discrepancy between my understanding of the wording in the BBB and the CC. My current understanding is that, the term "Max Rating" refers to the sum total of all simultaneously running chips. As such, following, the formula for skillwire system cost:

nuyen.gif = (max rating) X (max total MP) X 500

A system that would allow you to run 2 rating 5 activesofts simultaneously would cost:

10 X 150 X 500 = 750,000 nuyen.gif

Assuming every single chip you buy is also optimized (as per the CC option), that could be 375,000 nuyen.gif (with the tradeoff of doubling chip cost)...
but anyway... I suppose I should ask my questions.

1) Is my understanding of the cost calculation currently correct? (check out that alliteration!)

2) How many skills is it really reasonable to expect to use simultaneously?

3) Would switching out softs be a free action (assuming, perhaps, either a 4-slot chipjack or that a number of softs are in headware memory)? "Activate cyberware" is a free action, but the description of what "activate cyberware actually" means is a bit different than this.

4) Has anyone ever played with a skillwired character and found it to be both fun and worth the cost?

First off, don't forget to use my Calculators (link in my signature) as it helps greatly in determining what amount of MP and Nuyen you need for the softs. wink.gif

As for succesful use. The leader of our team has a Rating 6, 162 MP Skillswire set in him, and a 3-slot multi chipjack with a level 3 CED in each one. He can do either:
1 rating 6 skill
2 Optimized rating 5 skills with PlusCode 2,
3 Optimized rating 4 skills with PlusCode 2

That gives him an effective skill rating of 9 in 1 skill, 8 in 2 skills, or 7 in 3 skills.

The problem is that it's too expensive, and you have to buy each skill at the rating you want to use it at because the MP is too high to use the Cluster. However, in a high nuyen game (where you can get a good mil for your character alone) I think it's awesome. Our guy is enjoying his Wires, but the millions it takes to have all the skills he wants wires for is so immense that he doesn't believe he'll ever get them all. nyahnyah.gif

Sphynx
Spookymonster
Standard loadout for my mage (skillwires-3 + CED-3 + chipjack-4, all Alpha):

Slot 1) Attached to jukebox with various active skills. Pistols(Remington Roomsweeper) by default. Car, Car(B/R), Electronics(Security Systems)(B/R), a few others I can't think of right now.

Slot 2) jukebox with knowsofts and languages. Parabiology/botany, Japanese, Hermetic library, Conjurer library.

Slot 3) The 'magazine rack'. UCAS Today (gives you something interesting to read while the Johnson's prattling on about not having enough money. Also good if you need to make a Current Events check), Seattle StreetBeat (weekly listing of clubs and hotspots - you never know when you'll have to find a crowd in a hurry), Paterson's Guide to Paranormal Animals, Jane's Almanac (when you need to find out what you're up against - NOW!) .

Slot 4) Empty, in case he needs to slot something in a hurry.

Yeah, I know it isn't good min-max to put combat skills on a chip, but he's a mage - if all he's got left is his gun, it's cryin' time.

Oh, and all jukes are loaded for voice activation, for easy swapping.

All for 1 point Essence.
Siege
Hah! Spooky, you're the second person I know of to use the same idea.

Jane's Weapons, Patterson's Guide to Paracritters, Britannica Encyclopedia (just because), Gray's Anatomy, Burke's Guide to Toxicology and Pharmacology

The list just goes on and on and on.

-Siege
Spookymonster
My mage, Skee, is primarily an illusionist, so having a catlog of pics in your head of various people, critters, vehicles, and weapons of mass destruction can come in handy when trying to scam some poor, unsuspecting Mund smile.gif.
bwdemon
One of my most powerful characters ever owed much of his ability to skillwires. Instead of relying on chipjacks alone, I used headware memory to hold smaller skillsofts (this was under SR2 rules, which were considerably different). Now, I'd probably stick to specializations and maybe one or two often-used non-pool skills in the headware memory.

I don't know if any official ruling was made regarding whether you could use an expert driver on skillsofts stored in headware memory. I also don't know if you could optimize skillsofts like other programs, cutting your storage needs in half (64mp for a rating 6 activesoft... nice!). I'd be inclined to allow both, but that's me. Anyone know if either of these issues has been officially addressed?
Jason Farlander
CED's can not be used with softs stored in headware memory, only with chips currently slotted in the chipjack on which is it installed (which is why you have to get a separate CED for each chipjack, rather than just routing the single CED to all of them). It is, afterall, a "Chipjack Expert Driver" rather than a "Skillsoft Active Driver"

You can get an activesoft optimized (CC, 62), which halves program size and doubles program cost.
Ol' Scratch
You can always route the Chipjack to Headware Memory, thereby gaining it's bonus with headware memory-loaded 'softs.
Jason Farlander
QUOTE (Doctor Funkenstein)
You can always route the Chipjack to Headware Memory, thereby gaining it's bonus with headware memory-loaded 'softs.

No, you can't. Routers simply "establish a datalink between two (or more) pieces of cyberware that don't normally 'talk' to each other" (MM, 46). Personally, I simply allow chipjacks to automatically interface with headware memory, even though it doesnt specifically say so anywhere (to my knowledge)... but even if you require that a chipjack be hooked up to headware memory with a router, you still could not use the CED with softs in headware memory... this would simply allow data to be moved from a chip to HM or vice versa.

The exact wording in the description is that the CED "grants a Task Pool, equal to its rating, to be used with the skill encoded on a chip" (MM, 19) This does not in any way imply that it can be used with data not stored on a chip.

If you really wanted to be able to use activesofts in headware memory with a CED (if, for whatever reason, you dislike skillsoft jukeboxes that intensely) you could insert a blank chip into your chipjack, copy an activesoft to it from headware memory, and then use the expert driver with that soft until you want to switch it out, which would require erasing the chip and copying a new activesoft to it. The only real disadvantage of this is time... but noone uses skillsofts for combat skills anyway, right?
Ol' Scratch
Oh good grief. Yes it does, because the "skill encoded in a chip" is downloaded into headware memory. Normally, headware memory isn't access by a chipjack, but the router allows it to. In effect, the router is routing the headware memory's download of the skillsoft into the chipjack just as if it were a chip being slotted.

Things like this are the entire *point* of routers.
Spookymonster
Oh good grief. Yes it does, because the "skill encoded in a chip" is downloaded into headware memory.

There is canon material to support the argument that code on a chip is not identical to code loaded into memory. Granted, the distinction is primarily regarding DRM (i.e., copyright protection), but it's a distinction nonetheless. Combine this with the fact that it is a Chipjack Expert Driver (and not a Skillsoft Expert Driver), and a good case could be made for requiring a physical chip in a physical slot to use the CED.

Just playing devil's advocate smile.gif.
Ol' Scratch
Which, again, is why the Headware Memory is being routed to the Chipjack (as opposed to the Chipjack Expert Driver). nyahnyah.gif
Matrix Monkey
On a related note...
How would you handle MA (martial arts) maneuvers for chipped MA skills?
I know chipping combat skills is a Bad Idea™, but I do think it would be interesting to have someone switch between MA skills Matrix-style depending on the situation.

So... say you call up your fixer to get your hands on KungFuMaster 4.0 -- would a "default" set of maneuvers be included on the chip, would the 2 extra 'skill points' per maneuver count toward effective chip rating, drekcetera.

I've been looking through CC, but it looks like this isn't stated anywhere explicitly. Anyone seen otherwise?
Jason Farlander
OK.. in your game, sure. Not in mine, ever. Yeah, a router allows data communication... so you could copy something you recorded with your opticam into headware memory onto a chip and hand it to someone. I think of the CED as being, at least in part, a structural modification to the chipjack... otherwise, as I said before, why would it be called the chipjact expert driver? Why not just call it the skillsoft expert driver and have it affect everything? Or why not allow it to be installed in a datajack, such that a soft piped through it could gain the benefits? Probably because the CED involves, at least in part, a degree of structural modification to the chipjack to improve data efficiency... and no router can emulate the insertion of a chip into the chipjack to gain the benefit of those structural modifications.

Again, in your game, thats cool. Do whatever you want. Just realize that its largely a house rule on the functionality of routers.

The *point* of routers is exactly as described in MM, to link up chemical analyzers to headware cellphones, and other things that arent normally interconnected.
Ol' Scratch
Please show me where I ever said the CED wasn't an accessory/modification to the Chipjack. I'll save you the time -- I never did and agree with you 100% on that topic.

However, just like an Opticam is an accessory/modification of a Cybereye, so too is the CED an accessory/modification of a Chipjack. And you seem to have no problem whatsoever with using a Router to send from an Opticam to Headware Memory. Your logic there is utterly and wholly baffling. I can't even comprehend how you think it's a game balance problem, either; it's exactly the same as using a Skillsoft Jukebox (which, I might add, is *INFINITELY CHEAPER* in both Nuyen and Essence than Headware Memory) with a Chipjack. In fact the ONLY difference of consequence is that you're replacing a fiber optic cable of the Skillsoft Jukebox with the Routing of the Headware Memory. question.gif

And no, it's not a house rule on the functionality of a Router. It's what a Router does, just like the other examples you've given.
Spookymonster
QUOTE (Doctor Funkenstein @ Dec 16 2003, 02:15 PM)
Which, again, is why the Headware Memory is being routed to the Chipjack (as opposed to the Chipjack Expert Driver). nyahnyah.gif

But this still doesn't necessarily obivate the need for a chip to be physically inserted in the 'jack.

So if you rule that a skillsoft program in headware is identical to a skillsoft program on chip (despite canon indicating otherwise), then the headware image should be able to function identically to a physical chip. Otherwise, the argument could be made that whatever part of the skillsoft program that is chip-only is somehow required for the CED to function. Hence, the qualifier "encoded on the chip" in the CED description.
Tanka
I see it this way: You can port a chip to memory, but it loses some integrity. You can already port an installer from a CD to your HDD, and it works almost exactly alike. There are a few nuances that only the most trained would notice, but for the most part, it's all the same.
Ol' Scratch
Then I guess you can't use Headware Memory at all with Skillwires, as the description for Skillwires also specifically state that they interact with "specially designed optical chips."

I'm sorry, this is really a silly, silly argument. There is nothing to suggest that it can't be done or, god forbid, that it is in any way unbalancing whatsoever.

Let's see, a Rating 6 standard ActiveSoft takes up 108 Mp. To run two of those from Headware Memory you have to blow 0.72 Essence and 32,400 nuyen for the Headware Memory alone, not including the Router or Datajack you need to route it to the CED. Now let's say you're using a Skillsoft Jukebox for the exact same thing; two 108 Mp ports cost you 4,320 nuyen and -0- Essence. No Router or Datajack required. And god forbid you want to juggle between more than two 'softs with Headware Memory.

Oh, how horribly unbalanced! The world's surely coming to an end now! Hell, for the same price as that Headware Memory you can have a Skillsoft Jukebox that supports 15 Activesofts of the same rating... and you didn't need to lose 0.72 Essence.
Spookymonster
Sarcasm... just another service provided by the good doctor.
Sphynx
Yes, you CAN Route Headware mem to a CED. That's the entire purpose behind a Router. Do you honestly think there's anything you could put on the tiny tube that makes up a Chipjack that could not also be mirrored in HeadMem? Seriously, you're throwing away the definition of a Router when you say you can't do that.

Sphynx
Spookymonster
QUOTE (Sphynx)
Do you honestly think there's anything you could put on the tiny tube that makes up a Chipjack that could not also be mirrored in HeadMem?

Yes - the part of the skillsoft that is required to make a clean, uncorrupted copy. Whatever it is (hardware or software), it's only found on the chip, and apparently can't be duplicated in memory alone.

Not that I'm disagreeing with you guys... I'm fine with routers connecting to headware, CEDs, cybertoasters, etc. I'm just pointing out that, like most other things in SR, interpretations can vary.
Ol' Scratch
And like previously mentioned, the entry for Skillwires specifically mentions that it gets its information from those same, optically-encoded skillsofts. So, naturally, based upon that phrasing headware memory can't be used in anyway whatsoever with skillwires -- as it specifically states that it requires the skillsofts. And that's just silly logic.
Zazen
What keeps you from routing your headware memory to multiple CEDs, thereby gaining assloads of dice?

I'm with Spooky. The CED is specific in that it works with the skill on a chip; after all, it's a chipjack enhancement. Skillwires aren't a fair comparison because they even mention buying a chipjack "and/or" memory in their description. It is obviously intended that they be usable with headware memory.
Ol' Scratch
The same thing that stops you from routing multiple Chipjacks with CEDs together -- nothing except the GM putting their foot down (and the new errata that says the maximum rating, and logically the maximum benefit, from a CED is a Task Pool of 3). And sorry, they'd still be reading from the chip in that case, so even that rather weak argument wouldn't help out there.

You guys really need to read up on Routers, too. You don't route parts of an implant to other implants, you route the entire implant. For instance, you route a Chipjack, a Cybereye, or a Cyberarm to another implant, not a Chipjack Expert Driver, or Thermographic Vision (unless it was just a reticle implant and not an accessory to a Cybereye), or a Cyberlimb Cyberdeck.

But as the usual comments goes -- play it however you like in your game.
Zazen
The same thing that stops you from routing multiple Chipjacks with CEDs together -- nothing except the GM putting their foot down (and the new errata that says the maximum rating, and logically the maximum benefit, from a CED is a Task Pool of 3).

That's what I meant. You could circumvent the maximum benefit of 3 by allowing routers to work in that fashion.

For this reason I don't think that it's intended, so I stick to canon.
Ol' Scratch
Err, no you can't. You can do that no more than you can double the benefit of, say, Vision Magnification 3 by routing it to another Vision Magnification 3. Just like you can't route two Skillwire systems with an ASIST rating of 4 together to run a single Rating 8 ActiveSoft. You can't install two sets of Wired Reflexes 2, route them together, and expect to get +8/+4D6 to your Reaction/Initiative, either.

In fact, none of the implants that I'm aware of "stack" in that fashion whatsoever, so there's no grounds to believe that it would work that way with multiple Chipjacks and CEDs.

So yes, I stick to canon as well instead of making up stuff to rationalize a house rule that makes no sense to begin with (either in-game or meta-game). Routers allow you to route Headware Memory to a Chipjack with a CED installed, and thus gain the benefits thereof. That's what Routers do.
Spookymonster
Then I guess you can't use Headware Memory at all with Skillwires, as the description for Skillwires also specifically state that they interact with "specially designed optical chips."

And like previously mentioned, the entry for Skillwires specifically mentions that it gets its information from those same, optically-encoded skillsofts.

The description also states (SR3, p.301):
A chipjack (for insertion of activesofts) and/or memory must be purchased separately.

So it clearly interacts with memory, just as much as it does with OCC chips. No similar statement appears anywhere for the CED description. Furthermore,
SR3, p. 296:
A full skillwire system is required to use activesofts. The skillwire system can access activesofts from a chipjack, datajack or headware memory.

It explicitly states that skillwires can interact with skillsofts loaded into headware memory, regardless of the existence of a chipjack or datajack. Again, no such exemption appears in the Chipjack Expert Driver's description (nor anywhere else for that matter).

There is nothing in the CED's description to suggest that it interacts solely with the software side of a skillsoft. The fact that it is called a Chipjack Expert Driver, and not a Skillsoft Expert Driver actually lends support to the idea that it is more closely tied to hardware than software.
Crimsondude 2.0
QUOTE (Spookymonster)
QUOTE (Doctor Funkenstein @ Dec 16 2003, 01:59 PM)
Oh good grief.  Yes it does, because the "skill encoded in a chip" is downloaded into headware memory.

There is canon material to support the argument that code on a chip is not identical to code loaded into memory. Granted, the distinction is primarily regarding DRM (i.e., copyright protection), but it's a distinction nonetheless.

Since when did shadowrunners care about DRM?
Ol' Scratch
Besides, a simple Electronics B/R (I believe) test can erradicate copy protection on a Skillsoft. I believe it's mentioned in the Cannon Companion somewhere, in fact.
Spookymonster
You guys really need to read up on Routers, too. You don't route parts of an implant to other implants, you route the entire implant.

That's great, but it still doesn't eliminate the need for a chip to be inserted in the chipjack first.
Spookymonster
Besides, a simple Electronics B/R (I believe) test can erradicate copy protection on a Skillsoft. I believe it's mentioned in the Cannon Companion somewhere, in fact.

I couldn't find it in C&C, but yeah, I've read something like that as well (maybe in Matrix?). In the books I have on hand, the closest thing I could find was Cracking in SOTA:2063. It only talks about cracking software, not hardware, tho'.
BitBasher
Actually I believe its physically impossible to copy softs like that IIRC.
Ol' Scratch
QUOTE (Spookymonster)
QUOTE (Doctor Funkenstein @ Dec 16 2003, 07:03 PM)
You guys really need to read up on Routers, too.  You don't route parts of an implant to other implants, you route the entire implant.

That's great, but it still doesn't eliminate the need for a chip to be inserted in the chipjack first.

Except that there's nothing to get around as you're relying on a house rule.

If there was some special magical code secretly encoded on a Skillsoft, the Skillsoft itself would cost extra -- just like it does when you get the DIMAP option encoded onto it. The price would also be more expensive than a standard Skillsoft that didn't have this non-existant magical code that you're houseruling, as it wouldn't be necessary in the vast majority of 'softs.

The Chipjack Expert Driver makes the Chipjack itself more efficient, just like the description for the implant states. Whether that Skillsoft is coming from a chip plugged directly into the Chipjack, from a chip plugged into a Skillsoft Jukebox which is plugged into the Chipjack, or from the exact same information the Chipjack (modified by the CED, mind you!) downloaded into Headware Memory and then routed right back to the Chipjack; it's all the same.

Once again, this is the entire point of a Router and one of the few bonified uses that actually merits its cost. Tossing it away for what amounts to completely nonsensical reasons (I still haven't seen a valid reason by anyone as to why it's even close to being a significant issue outside of hard-headedness), is just... lame.

But, as always, feel free to do what you like in your game. Just don't expect everyone else to enjoy your house ruling or accept it as even close to an official interpretation, let alone canonical.
Fortune
I'm awaiting a response from Rob on this subject.
Jason Farlander
QUOTE (Fortune)
I'm awaiting a response from Rob on this subject.

Thanks... I was going to write him, but in the end I decided I didn't really care enough. It will be interesting to see what he has to say, though (not like it will necessarily mean anything to anyone here... but hey).
Zazen
In fact, none of the implants that I'm aware of "stack" in that fashion whatsoever, so there's no grounds to believe that it would work that way with multiple Chipjacks and CEDs.

Well, task pools from encephalons and Cerebral Boosters stack (or, more correctly, they grant seperate pools whose dice can be stacked), and guess what, the CED grants a task pool just like those two implants! smile.gif

In this case it'd give you access to each task pool of 3, allowing you to add up to three dice from each task pool up to the rating of the 'soft, just like every other instance in the game of adding dice from multiple pools.
Spookymonster
Whether that Skillsoft is coming from a chip plugged directly into the Chipjack, from a chip plugged into a Skillsoft Jukebox which is plugged into the Chipjack, or from the exact same information the Chipjack (modified by the CED, mind you!) downloaded into Headware Memory and then routed right back to the Chipjack; it's all the same.

I'm sorry... I must have missed the section in M&M that supports this theory. Is it before or after the section that explicitly states that A Chipjack Expert Driver works on skillsofts 'encoded on a chip'?

Or are you now relying on house rules to back your argument?
Spookymonster
ooops... edit
Ol' Scratch
No, I'm reading the actual description of the implant. You know, the one where it says it makes the Chipjack itself more efficient, not the Skillsoft. There are no magic kung fu powers encoded in the chip that only the all-powerful CED has the ability to unlock. That's your house rule. It makes the Chipjack more efficient. Normally, a Chipjack can only access data encoded on a chip becuase it is a Chipjack -- hence the wording of the rules. That's why you use a router to route the information from a Skillsoft loaded into Headware Memory (most likely data coming through that very same Chipjack to begin with, but obviously the CED can't read the information it needs that way even under your mysteriously weird house rule, right?) to the Chipjack.

And Zazen, yes, the Task Pools from an Enchephelon and a Cerebral Booster "stack." But you can't have two Enchephelons or two Cerebral Boosters and expect them to "stack." Even if you did route Headware Memory to multiple CED-enhanced Chipjacks, the Skillsoft data you routed would only go to one of them. I don't care if you have ten dozen of them daisy chained together, they're still individual implants. Sure, you can send data from one to another, but it doesn't enhance their abilities in any way, shape, or form. You can just communicate between them. Again, you're using another house rule to try and rationalize another one. NOTHING in the game works the way you're suggesting CEDs work.
Jason Farlander
A story:

Imagine that we are playing in a lower-tech SR game, closer to current levels. Lets, furthermore, pretend that one of the characters, "d3xx0r", is a hacker who wants to upgrade his computer. A wiz new device that just hit the market is a brand new MiniDisc reader that, somehow, optimizes the reading, writing, and data processing of minidiscs so incredibly well as to make them actually faster than the R/W speed of his hard drive. This d3xx0r buys this new drive... but then he gets an *idea*

"Hey, GM" d3xx0r says, "I would like to re-wire my computer so the hard drive uses the new MD drive's firmware to increase its own R/W speed"

Now, as we exit the story, I ask you... what would you say?

"Sure, make a computer b/r and an electronics b/r test?"

or do you say

"No, a chip on your MD drive can't improve your hard drive just by hooking them together with wires"

...Well?
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Dumpshock Forums © 2001-2012