Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Type O and Used Basic Bioware
Dumpshock Forums > Discussion > Shadowrun
Cheops
I just need a quick word from the community here. Is there an official ruling on taking used bioware along with Type O system? Specifically:

1) is it a no-go?
2) do you multiply by 1.2 then by .5?, or
3) do you just multiply by .5?

Thanks!
CanRay
Number 2. It's been fixed up and altered by the person it was previously in. In fact, some of their essence is still probably inside of it, and your own essence is not liking that.
Fortune
I agree with CanRay. You would use the second option.
ludomastro
Agreed. The math also works for a straight 0.6 multiplier.
Daier Mune
Type O specificaly mentions that you can't install used bioware. page 20, Augmentation.
tsuyoshikentsu
Which, medically, makes sense.
Fortune
QUOTE (Daier Mune @ Jun 12 2008, 03:24 PM) *
Type O specificaly mentions that you can't install used bioware. page 20, Augmentation.

D'oh! Teaches me to check before answering. embarrassed.gif
Stahlseele
i don't really understand why you should not be able to install used bioware to be honest . .
type o basically let's you ignore all biological differences between your system and every body elses system right?
that's why bioware is usually made from type o, because it is compatible with everybody else, no immune system stress whatsoever O.o
Kerberos
QUOTE (Stahlseele @ Jun 12 2008, 06:06 AM) *
i don't really understand why you should not be able to install used bioware to be honest . .

Because they couldn't find a way to balance essence friendly bioware for half the price.
Stahlseele
QUOTE (Kerberos @ Jun 12 2008, 01:07 PM) *
Because they couldn't find a way to balance essence friendly bioware for half the price.

d'oh! dead.gif
WeaverMount
QUOTE (Stahlseele @ Jun 12 2008, 05:06 AM) *
type o basically let's you ignore all biological differences between your system and every body elses system right?
that's why bioware is usually made from type o, because it is compatible with everybody else, no immune system stress whatsoever O.o

Type O is a universal donor (not receiver) which is way Bioware is grow to that spec. You would need the not publish 'Type AB' quality to use second hand bioware at a discount.

ps. I know it has nothing to do with actually blood type.
Stahlseele
but . . why is it universal donor and NOT receiver?
if anybody can use his parts, should he not be able to use anybodys parts too? @.@
Cheops
QUOTE (Daier Mune @ Jun 12 2008, 05:24 AM) *

Ooops. Guess I need to go back to elementary school to learn how to read. Sorry all.
CanRay
QUOTE (Stahlseele @ Jun 12 2008, 09:06 AM) *
if anybody can use his parts, should he not be able to use anybodys parts too? @.@

Probably the same reason that people O-Negative Blood (The "Universal Blood") can only take O-Negative.
KCKitsune
Type O body doesn't represent anything other than the first letter of the first guy that they based all this bioware stuff on. Rather than call it type "Owen Whiting" (pg 53 Augmentation), they just called it type O
CanRay
Yes, I know that, but I was using O-Neg as an example.

O-Neg blood goes into everyone, but people with O-Neg can only accept O-Neg.
darthmord
This is in the same vein that I can give blood to my kids and to my wife. But they cannot give blood to me.

My kids can also give blood to my wife. Like me, they cannot take blood from her.

I'm O+, my wife is AB+, and ours kids are A / B+
FrankTrollman
QUOTE (Stahlseele @ Jun 12 2008, 09:06 AM) *

Rejection happens because the body detects a protein that is "non-self." The reason your body does not reject surgical steel is because surgical steel has no proteins at all and is never detected by those methods.

Owen Whiting's cells have very few proteins on them, meaning that almost no metahuman's body recognizes any protein on his cells as "non-self." However this means that he personally can't take a cell line from anyone because everyone else has a bunch of proteins that he doesn't have. Ironically, being the universal donor makes him essentially allergic to the cells of every single other human on the planet.

Type O would be something of a disadvantage if it weren't for the fact that medical companies in the Shadowrun world have spent fortunes cloning and modifying every single type of cell from his body and have that stuff sitting in fridges ready to go at a moment's notice all over the Earth. If the game was set in the 2030s, the effect of the condition would be that you couldn't get transplants from anyone and it would probably be like a 5 point negative quality.

-Frank
Ed_209a
Blood is a good example.

With mature cloning technology, like SR4 has, it is a safe bet that _all_ medical blood supplies are O-neg.
CanRay
Yeah, for official sources. But if you can't get access to a real hospital, with a cloaning tank just making O-Neg, you're getting what the Street Doc pays for in donations.

Or what he gets from the Organleggers. devil.gif
Crank
There must also be something about type O blood that prevents those who have it from ever becoming full magicians. After all, type o (30) + full mage (15) = more than the allowed limit of 35. wink.gif /sarcasm
paws2sky
QUOTE (Crank @ Jun 13 2008, 01:45 PM) *
There must also be something about type O blood that prevents those who have it from ever becoming full magicians. After all, type o (30) + full mage (15) = more than the allowed limit of 35. wink.gif /sarcasm

Well, at least I could be an Adept. spin.gif
FrankTrollman
The vast majority of genetic types are incompatible with being a magician. Only 1-2% of the population are full magicians, and straight clones have a decent chance of being full magicians if their original was one (meaning that it's multifactorial and developmental).

Even a generous assessment would mean that no more than 10% of the entire world has the genetic makeup to potentially awaken into a full magician. That a particular cell line known specifically for having less proteins than other metahumans would happen to not fall into that category is in no way surprising.

-Frank
Fortune
QUOTE (Crank @ Jun 14 2008, 04:45 AM) *
There must also be something about type O blood that prevents those who have it from ever becoming full magicians. After all, type o (30) + full mage (15) = more than the allowed limit of 35.

Latent Awakening. wink.gif
Daier Mune
couldn't you make a Type-O Mage as a prime runner? i forget if you get exta points for qualities under those rules.
Kerberos
QUOTE (FrankTrollman @ Jun 13 2008, 04:34 PM) *
The vast majority of genetic types are incompatible with being a magician. Only 1-2% of the population are full magicians, and straight clones have a decent chance of being full magicians if their original was one (meaning that it's multifactorial and developmental).

Even a generous assessment would mean that no more than 10% of the entire world has the genetic makeup to potentially awaken into a full magician. That a particular cell line known specifically for having less proteins than other metahumans would happen to not fall into that category is in no way surprising.

-Frank

Sure it is, Type O doesn't have less proteins in general they just have less marker proteins on the surface of their cells. Since magic IIRC correctly is driven by special awakened genes the mundane marker genes shouldn't affect it. In fact being type O probably wouldn't be correlated with any other set of characteristica than being the universal donor.
ludomastro
QUOTE (Kerberos @ Jun 14 2008, 03:19 AM) *
Sure it is, Type O doesn't have less proteins in general they just have less marker proteins on the surface of their cells. Since magic IIRC correctly is driven by special awakened genes the mundane marker genes shouldn't affect it. In fact being type O probably wouldn't be correlated with any other set of characteristica than being the universal donor.

I think that Frank was merely pointing out that two small groups don't often overlap in a larger population sample. Actually, the idea that they don't is the default assumption. When the two groups do overlap, that is surprising.

Take a large high school for example (I am thinking US as I have no experience with other systems). The student body could number in the thousands while the number of football players is most likely limited to 100. The marching band may well consist of 200 students. These are two small groups but I would be surprised if there were a football player who also participated in the marching band.
WeaverMount
You point is valid but the example is bad, as those two groups are explicitly mutually exclusive. just swap one group out with student council and your golden
ludomastro
QUOTE (WeaverMount @ Jun 14 2008, 12:32 PM) *
You point is valid but the example is bad, as those two groups are explicitly mutually exclusive. just swap one group out with student council and your golden

Not exactly. There was a guy in our region growing up that did both. He marched in his football uniform, minus the shoulder pads.

I almost pulled the same stunt but settled for concert band and pep band (basketball).
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Dumpshock Forums © 2001-2012