Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Upcoming cover art
Dumpshock Forums > Discussion > Shadowrun
Pages: 1, 2
Fuchs
Well, I can't tell what program something was made with - but I can recognise some 3D models being used.

However, if I see what was used, I am usually even more impressed if it was done well. That's like an amateur player seeing a pro at work.
Wesley Street
I can usually tell what program a CG image was made in. It's very difficult to make a good Poser-based image because the program itself isn't advanced enough for pro-quality work. For me it took so much Photoshop editing to create good lighting effects and to cover up the flaws that Poser created that using Poser seemed pointless. I ditched it and went back to creating figures by hand and inorganic objects digitally. Augmentation's cover really bothered me as the figures looked like mannequins. The flesh didn't look like flesh but it didn't look unrealistic enough to be stylized, like in a painting. And the musculature and posture of the figures was incredibly stiff. It was like a video-game still, not a finished print art piece. I know people like to gripe about the painted ork chick on Arsenal but I can always argue the virtue of style and consistency.

A big problem I have with amateur digital art is that if you don't have the traditional drawing and painting skills to back it up it will show in your work. But people are easily dazzled by "The Shiny" of CGI.
Fuchs
QUOTE (Wesley Street @ Jun 20 2008, 04:57 PM) *
A big problem I have with amateur digital art is that if you don't have the traditional drawing and painting skills to back it up it will show in your work. But people are easily dazzled by "The Shiny" of CGI.

If you don't have those traditional drawing and painting skills it'll show up in your work even more without DAZ and Poser. For those of us amateurs who don't have the traditional drawing and painting skills to back it up, poser and DAZ allow us to at least produce decent pictures which come close to how we envision scenes and characters. Compared to the alternative - not being able to create any picture - that alone is enough for me to love it.
Wesley Street
Absolutely. And I apologize for my poor wording with that last sentence as it came out harsher than I meant. frown.gif Please don't think I'm criticizing any amateur digital artists out there who just want to get their vision on paper or screen. My big gripe is with supposed "pros" who make amateur-looking work.
Casper
QUOTE (Wesley Street @ Jun 20 2008, 03:57 PM) *
Augmentation's cover really bothered me as the figures looked like mannequins. The flesh didn't look like flesh but it didn't look unrealistic enough to be stylized, like in a painting. And the musculature and posture of the figures was incredibly stiff.

I find this quote incredible ironic.
Wesley Street
QUOTE (Casper @ Jun 20 2008, 11:40 AM) *
I find this quote incredible ironic.

HA HA!

No. Wait. I don't get it... ohplease.gif
Casper
I just find it ironic that a point is being made over how fake and artificial the people look on the front cover of a book. A book called Augmentation, where on can find the rules to modify and replace your body and make it fake and artificial.

I have to say the cover for Augmentation has grown on me over time to where I think its on par with street magic and the core book now. Arsenal on the other hand....
Wesley Street
I seriously doubt Augmentation's cover was some sort of attempt at meta-commentary. But... if there was a cover where Poser art would be appropriate it would be Unwired. Worked for Virtual Realities. Not that I would want them to go that route.
DocTaotsu
I think it's pretty clear that until they produce covers that provide sexual favors no single cover is going to make everyone happy.

And even then.

What do you mean Unwired doesn't have a bunraku mode?! Ultimately lame...
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Dumpshock Forums © 2001-2012