Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Catalyst Game Labs bring Classic BattleTech, Shadowrun, and MechWarrior novels back to bookstores
Dumpshock Forums > Discussion > Shadowrun
Pages: 1, 2
CanRay
Yes, let's have at it with Drive-By Wizgang Fireballings!
Jrayjoker
QUOTE (Adam @ Jun 27 2008, 11:02 AM) *
For serious, do you people [in general] have to justify the purchase of a $10-ish book to your partner, every single time? I'm not asking this from my "I work in the gaming business, not the gaming hobby" position, but ... seriously? I earn my money, I have a leisure budget, and I spend that leisure budget on whatever I want, just as my gal pal spends her leisure budget, and tough nuts if we don't like what each other is spending money on -- it's our own money for our own leisure!

I have 5 kids and am the sole wage earner in our family, we budget everything. Sometimes I impulsively buy things and we have a nice long talk later that night...So, yes and no, I don't have to justify everything, but a heads up is always appreciated. When you take home $X/month and have ($X-$50)/month in relatively fixed expenses you talk long and hard about things. I am not complaining, but I do have to point out that not everyone who plays SR is single and not beholding to anyone or Dual Income No Kids (DINK for short).

CanRay
You mean every RPGer out there isn't a creepy single guy that's living in their parent's basement?
Jrayjoker
Who says I am not living in my parents' basement?
CanRay
Yeah, but being married and with kids means that you're not creepy and single.

Well... Not single at the very least. nyahnyah.gif
WhiteWolf
QUOTE (CanRay @ Jun 30 2008, 01:56 PM) *
You mean every RPGer out there isn't a creepy single guy that's living in their parent's basement?

I wish I was able to live in my parent's basement then I would not have to worry about rent and utilities, and if the parents decided to charge me it would be a lot cheaper then what I'm paying now.
Jrayjoker
I did not intend my reponsorial post to be scathing in any way, just to point out a different lifestyle... Adam makes a good point, but there are different perspectives. I sometimes make light of "asking permission" but I like to support my favorite game and sometimes it means choosing it over another recreation.
Adam
QUOTE (Jrayjoker @ Jun 30 2008, 03:50 PM) *
I have 5 kids and am the sole wage earner in our family, we budget everything. Sometimes I impulsively buy things and we have a nice long talk later that night...So, yes and no, I don't have to justify everything, but a heads up is always appreciated. When you take home $X/month and have ($X-$50)/month in relatively fixed expenses you talk long and hard about things. I am not complaining, but I do have to point out that not everyone who plays SR is single and not beholding to anyone or Dual Income No Kids (DINK for short).

I wasn't trying to be a jerk, Jrayjoker -- I apologize if you took it that way. I'm not single either, although we blissfully fall into the no kids category. smile.gif

I certainly understand having a _budget_ for leisure goods/services, but what occasionally catches me off guard is the "I can't let my partner see that I bought _that_." mentality -- like buying a sci-fi novel is somehow worse than spending that 10 bucks to go to the movies, or to get into the bar on a UFC PPV night, or some yarn, or some other type of book, etc. it's not the budget that makes me raise my eyebrows, but the idea that you have to justify _what_ you are buying.
Mattily
Actually, buying a sci-fi/fantasy book is less likely to need justifying than a trip to a bar or the movies. It's something that lasts that we can both enjoy.

It's not the what I'm buying I have to think about, its the fact that I'm buying something over budget (when I'm already vastly over budget, with 'Orrid Offspring's birthday last month and a tiny, diddy school uniform to buy for when she starts infant school)
Jrayjoker
No offense taken, Adam. I used to have discretionary money. I miss it so...
Demerzel
I'm a little surprised this topic hasn't been touched in over a week. There's some hints about what's coming up, and I'm getting more and more excited every day.

I picked up some Neal Stephenson from B&N to get myself back in to the SR Mood after an off hand remark by Adam sucked me into the sphere of giant fighting robots and away from SR.

Phaedra Weldon appears to be on board for writing Book 2 of the new release, see this!

And that little tidbit at the end makes me think she may have a Techno main character!

So, anyone got the skinny on what Book 1 might be?
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Dumpshock Forums © 2001-2012