Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Reflex recorders
Dumpshock Forums > Discussion > Shadowrun
Squinky
If a person gets the Firearms skill group at 4, gets a reflex recorder (skillgroup: firearms) and then gets a reflex recorder (Pistols) does that work?

I know it states that you can't get a +2 by just getting 2 reflex recorders for the same skill, but is this legal?

Umbra
It does not work. A Reflex Recorder for Firearms is a reflex recorder for Pistols. It also happens to be a Reflex Recorder for Automatics and Longarms as well.

The Concept of Skill Groups exists for only two reasons:
1. To save space on your character sheet.
2. To allow a Karma discount on the cost of increasing a group of similar skills.

- Umbra
Coldan
QUOTE (Core Rules p. 340)
Multiple recorders may be taken for multiple skills, but the effects don’t stack. This bonus may be combined with bonuses from other sources.

Just read again this two sentences. There is no difference between the Reflex Recoder for a group and for a skill. They don't stack, so you only get the bonus once.
Mäx
But i can take a recoder for Firearms group even to i don't have my skills as a group right.
ArkonC
You can take a recorder for any skill, even if you don't have it, but remember that the augmented maximum is current rating x 1.5, so you need the skill at 2 to benefit from the recorder (or have the skill wired to 2)...
shuya
QUOTE (ArkonC @ Jul 4 2008, 03:47 AM) *
You can take a recorder for any skill, even if you don't have it, but remember that the augmented maximum is current rating x 1.5, so you need the skill at 2 to benefit from the recorder (or have the skill wired to 2)...

on a related note, are there any bonuses to skills which DON'T count towards the augmented maximum?

e.g. a smartlink adds a +2 to a ranged attack test, not to the skill you're using; a balance augmenter likewise adds a bonus die to "tests" instead of skills, as do most (all?) mentor spirits;

whereas the Reflex Recorder, adept powers, and others specifically mention a bonus to the skill

or did i just way over-interpret the semantics?
Dumori
I count all but the adept power as modifiers but that's manly because I only remember reading but remember that the augmented maximum is current rating x 1.5, for skill with the adept power.
Rotbart van Dainig
QUOTE (shuya @ Jul 4 2008, 06:42 PM) *
whereas the Reflex Recorder, adept powers, and others specifically mention a bonus to the skill

Nope, the only enhancements covered by augmented skill are reflex recorders, the enhanced skill adept power and the MBW.
Jaid
QUOTE (Rotbart van Dainig @ Jul 5 2008, 09:06 AM) *
Nope, the only enhancements covered by augmented skill are reflex recorders, the enhanced skill adept power and the MBW.

also control rig boosters, or whatever those nanites are called.

and a number of drugs, most of which boost perception.
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Dumpshock Forums © 2001-2012