Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Interesting/Unusual Military Units
Dumpshock Forums > Discussion > Shadowrun
Pages: 1, 2
CanRay
Found out about the RCMP's "Military" status. They're a Dragoon unit on paper, and have strong connections to the Canadian Armed Forces (Army previously) Military Police due to the amount of volunteers from the Mounties that occurred in Canada's wars.

The Special Airborne Service (SAS) and Special Boat Service (SBS) are probably still around in England, BTW. From my understanding, US Special Forces refer to their training as "Inhumane", which, considering who wrote the manuals for them...

The Russian Spetsnaz are likely still around as well, throwing sharpened entrenching tools with deadly accuracy. (Which reminds me, I have to see if I can get a translated version of their combat training manual for entrenching tools...).

The Canadian Rangers have probably shifted their flag over to the Trans-Polar Aleut, and are likely still using Bolt-Action Rifles.
Nath
QUOTE (CanRay @ Jul 17 2011, 07:21 PM) *
Found out about the RCMP's "Military" status. They're a Dragoon unit on paper, and have strong connections to the Canadian Armed Forces (Army previously) Military Police due to the amount of volunteers from the Mounties that occurred in Canada's wars.
The dragoon regiment status was only granted in 1921, to honor the RCMP squadrons that joined th Canadian Light Horse during WW1. There was a much older military connection, as the precursor to the RCMP was organized like light cavalry regiment. Also, the French name is Gendarmerie Royale du Canada. "Gendarmerie" is the specific French term for a military status police force.

The Special Airborne Service (SAS) and Special Boat Service (SBS) are probably still around in England, BTW.
SAS name appears in London and Shadows of Europe. Also, one character in the noval Black Madonna is a former SAS. The only mention of SBS I remember of is 3rd edition Cannon Companion, as the FN-AAL Gyrojet pistol was their preferred weapon.

The Russian Spetsnaz are likely still around as well, throwing sharpened entrenching tools with deadly accuracy. (Which reminds me, I have to see if I can get a translated version of their combat training manual for entrenching tools...).
The word "spetsnaz" is often used to describe any special forces, including foreign ones (like you speak of "special forces" at large and more specifically about United States Army Special Forces). The GRU-controlled spetsnaz (which are, as far as I understand, the original spetsnaz) still exist according to Shadows of Asia, they get a full section page 126. Spy Games also mentions them.
Sir_Psycho
Apparently they use bioware and masked adepts for sabotage behind enemy lines, but aren't credited with much Eurowar fame.
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Dumpshock Forums © 2001-2012