Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Program like Nuke to reduce Signal?
Dumpshock Forums > Discussion > Shadowrun
Dashifen
Another idea I had during my second read-through of Unwired: we have the Nuke program now, which is a normal matrix attack but instead of assigning damage to a condition monitor, it can reduce Response and/or System (or Pilot for constructs). The Disarm program can be used to mess with someone's Firewall. But, I didn't see a way to reduce someone's signal. The downside that I can see is that if you're in their node and mess with their signal, you might get dumped (which would be bad) but if they're intruding into your node and you reduce their signal to zero, it could be a form of targetted jamming.

Could probably just call the program ECM and have it roll Electronic Warfare + ECM vs. Firewall + ECCM, net hits by the offensive party reduces the signal of the defensive one.

Thoughts? Seems like it'd be of limited use, but I could conceive of some situations where it would be cool. And, since it targets a specific person's system, you could effectively jam them without needing to jam everyone in an area or needing a directional jammer ... not that directional jammers are that hard to come by I suppose.
Tarantula
I'd say theres no need. Having a program that jams a specific person would be pointless... Oh, I hack into your commlink, I attack your signal, it drops from 2 to 1 and now I am dumpshocked because I'm out of your signal range.
CanRay
Just take Tin Snips to his antenna. There, Signal goes waaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaay down!
Chrysalis
One thing mentioned is devices. I have this question if non-neural commlinks are more common why bother with the commlink when you can just simply shut off her cluster of devices. AR gloves, goggles, microphone all dead, hard to hack afterwards.

To stay on the thread why can't a hacker just trip the node that the commlink routes through is using a stolen MSP authentication and simply deny service? Every single other node is going to bounce that signal around denying service to that network ID until it can be verified which could be hours away.

The best way though is knowing how to shutdown a commlink remotely (we do that now with stolen mobile phones).

-Chrysalis
Sir_Psycho
If you net enough Nuke hits on their System I assume you get to jack out before the thing comes crashing down. Is Nuke permanent program damage? Because if you corrupt and dump their system, I'd like to see them re-boot that.
Dashifen
They need to reboot to "undo" Nuke damage, yeah.

QUOTE ("Tarantula")
cI'd say theres no need. Having a program that jams a specific person would be pointless... Oh, I hack into your commlink, I attack your signal, it drops from 2 to 1 and now I am dumpshocked because I'm out of your signal range.

Well, yes, I indicated that in my first post. I think, however, it could be an interesting tactic to disconnect people who have hacked your node. Then you don't get dumped but they might.
Cheops
QUOTE (Dashifen @ Jul 18 2008, 02:33 PM) *
They need to reboot to "undo" Nuke damage, yeah.

Well, yes, I indicated that in my first post. I think, however, it could be an interesting tactic to disconnect people who have hacked your node. Then you don't get dumped but they might.

Except that there are already rules for disconnecting people from your node (BBB 223) and I will point out once again that Jamming on the Fly (Unwired 105) is extremely effective (particularily since EW cannot default).
Dashifen
But, Jamming on the Fly covers an area. If you need more of surgical strike then it may not be appropriate.
Rotbart van Dainig
There are Smart Jammers.
Dashifen
Do you mean directional jammers or is there something in Arse that I'm forgetting about?
Rotbart van Dainig
Arsenal, p. 58 - Jammers that target specific Nodes.
Dashifen
Awesome. That'll do in a pinch. I still think there's a place for software to do this, too, but as long as there's something there in the rules to play with, I'm happy. Thanks!
Jaid
QUOTE (Dashifen @ Jul 18 2008, 03:00 PM) *
Awesome. That'll do in a pinch. I still think there's a place for software to do this, too, but as long as there's something there in the rules to play with, I'm happy. Thanks!

well, conveniently weight has been abstracted away. just declare that the hardware is software via GM fiat. problem solved.
Dashifen
That's pretty much what I'll do, actually. I'll just have to come up with a snappy name.
hobgoblin
QUOTE (Chrysalis @ Jul 18 2008, 01:50 AM) *
The best way though is knowing how to shutdown a commlink remotely (we do that now with stolen mobile phones).

more like blacklist their id number then shut down...
Cheops
QUOTE (Dashifen @ Jul 19 2008, 04:07 PM) *
That's pretty much what I'll do, actually. I'll just have to come up with a snappy name.

Raspberry Jam

and have the icon be a jar of raspberry jam repeatedly impacting and breaking on their radar dish?

(Spaceballs...watch out!)
Dashifen
Awesome.
Aaron
I hate to come in late on this one, but it doesn't really matter what your device's Signal rating is if the operating system doesn't think it can go that far.
Dashifen
True; which provides a different way of looking at it: this software wouldn't actually reduce the target's signal, it would just make the OS think the signal is lower than it is and force the dropping of connections,
hobgoblin
something like what some real life isps have started to do to kill p2p traffic then.

or maybe a router table poisoning...
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Dumpshock Forums © 2001-2012