Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Adept power question
Dumpshock Forums > Discussion > Shadowrun
Cadmus
Ok simple question that will get lost in the mix fairly quickly smile.gif

Ok I have an adept, his magic is bought up to a 6 already, down to a 5 from cyberware. he has initiated twice, so the rules say I can buy my magic up to the lvl of my grade now so thats two more points of magic for lots and lots of karma, ok. now since I have improved reflexes 2 already, if I buy my magic up to my initiation grade giving me two more points for powers can I increase that power to improved reflexes 3 for a total of 5 power points?

as a reminder smile.gif I'm looking for the Raw awnser do to the nature of the game this char is in.
Ancient History
Yes. That is how it works.
Glyph
Correct. Cyberware reduces his maximum Magic rating from 6 to 5, then initiating twice raises his maximum Magic rating from 5 to 7. So he can spend Karma to raise his Magic from 5 to 7, gaining 2 more Power Points, which he can use to raise his improved reflexes from 2 to 3. Just to be clear, you need to spend the Karma to initiate and the Karma to raise your Magic rating.
Cadmus
Thanks for the info guys smile.gif
Abschalten
Magic 5 -> 6 = 18
Magic 6 -> 7 = 21

Grade 0 -> 1 = 13
Grade 1-> 2 = 16

To raise your magic from 5 to 7 will require 39 karma. To initiate twice, you're looking at another 29 karma. That's a total of 68 karma. That seems like quite alot, and it is. If your GM tends to give out something in the area of 4 karma a run, that'll be 17 jobs you have to do. If he gives out 5, then that drops down to about 14 (rounded up.)

Advancement as an awakened character takes quite a long time, but then I see them as slow growers anyway. Adepts really have it hard, because while a magician can just learn another spell or conjure a spirit to aid him with his tasks, an adept more or less relies purely on the powers they get from their PPs.

Consider floating past your GM the optional rule in Street Magic (I believe) where an adept who initiates can choose to take another Power Point instead of a metamagic. That might alleviate some of your karma problems, though you'll be missing out on some of the really decent metamagics (Adept Centering is sweet, in my opinion.) However, it typically costs alot less to initiate than to buy up your magic rating, so you can revisit the initiation thing alot quicker than you can amass the karma to raise your Magic rating.

If you really want to take advantage of some karma savings, consider investing 4 karma (if you haven't already) into learning a rank in Arcana so you can join a magical group. If you go through the process of joining (which will require 5 karma along the way) then you can have up to a 40% reduction in your karma costs for initiation, assuming you let them help you with an Ordeal on your initiation.

I hope some of these ideas help. smile.gif
Cadmus
QUOTE (Abschalten @ Jul 24 2008, 10:31 PM) *
Magic 5 -> 6 = 18
Magic 6 -> 7 = 21

Grade 0 -> 1 = 13
Grade 1-> 2 = 16

To raise your magic from 5 to 7 will require 39 karma. To initiate twice, you're looking at another 29 karma. That's a total of 68 karma. That seems like quite alot, and it is. If your GM tends to give out something in the area of 4 karma a run, that'll be 17 jobs you have to do. If he gives out 5, then that drops down to about 14 (rounded up.)

Advancement as an awakened character takes quite a long time, but then I see them as slow growers anyway. Adepts really have it hard, because while a magician can just learn another spell or conjure a spirit to aid him with his tasks, an adept more or less relies purely on the powers they get from their PPs.

Consider floating past your GM the optional rule in Street Magic (I believe) where an adept who initiates can choose to take another Power Point instead of a metamagic. That might alleviate some of your karma problems, though you'll be missing out on some of the really decent metamagics (Adept Centering is sweet, in my opinion.) However, it typically costs alot less to initiate than to buy up your magic rating, so you can revisit the initiation thing alot quicker than you can amass the karma to raise your Magic rating.

If you really want to take advantage of some karma savings, consider investing 4 karma (if you haven't already) into learning a rank in Arcana so you can join a magical group. If you go through the process of joining (which will require 5 karma along the way) then you can have up to a 40% reduction in your karma costs for initiation, assuming you let them help you with an Ordeal on your initiation.

I hope some of these ideas help. smile.gif

Helpful yes thanks man, but its for a missions char so no optional rules hence the needing of the RAW awnser smile.gif but he is a member of a group so you are correct in that it does help with the costs alot,
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Dumpshock Forums © 2001-2012