Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Searching for something on the Matrix
Dumpshock Forums > Discussion > Shadowrun
Grayson7
Hello, I have a question and I am wondering if someone with more experience with the game than I have could give me some help. First of all, I use the optional Matrix rule that uses Logic instead of a program for Matrix-based tests and I limit the number of hits per roll to the rating of the program being utilized. My players have commlinks but none of them are hackers. None of them have any special programs like Browse. Now, I understand that if a person wants to research something on the Matrix they could use the Browse program that comes with the search engine, as opposed to one in their commlink, in the same way that we use Google in the real world. What would be the rating of the generic Browse program that comes with the matrix? In other words, if my player wanted to research something on the matrix itself and I had him roll an extended test using Logic+Data Search and he didn't have a Browse program in his commlink, what rating would I use for the Browse program of the Matrix search engine that he would have to use. Thank you.
Heath Robinson
If you go by the stuff in Unwired, it'll depend on what kind of service their Matrix service provider is, well, providing. This is usually associated with the lifestyle level of the character and the kind of MSP they're using.

At worst, just rule that it's a Rating 2 Browse. I'm not going to go looking around in Unwired right now, someone who is willing will likely correct me; I have coding to do.
deek
I thought I read somewhere in the core rules that a Browse 1 was standard on all commlinks.
Drogos
Per the BBB, it's Scan 1 that is standard for all Coms. I would do the same for Browse (actually all the Common use programs I could see giving a freebie rating one with their OS, save maybe Reality Sculptor).
Grayson7
That seems fair. Thanks guys, I really appreciate it.
paws2sky
QUOTE (Drogos @ Jul 30 2008, 07:29 AM) *
Per the BBB, it's Scan 1 that is standard for all Coms. I would do the same for Browse (actually all the Common use programs I could see giving a freebie rating one with their OS, save maybe Reality Sculptor).

That's pretty much how I run it.

Also, I rule that Dataterms (public access data terminals) are considered to have a rating 3 Browse program.

-paws
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Dumpshock Forums © 2001-2012