Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Runner's Companion Available
Dumpshock Forums > Discussion > Shadowrun
Pages: 1, 2, 3
Vairdic
Check out this topic here for links: http://forums.dumpshock.com/index.php?showtopic=23014
Bearclaw
Sweet. I'm there.
Aaron
*happydance*
Dashifen
Awesome!
ravensmuse
Already? Oh Catalyst, you cads! biggrin.gif
CanRay
I got my FLGS all the info on the book to order it as soon as the Distributor sees it.

If they don't get it two weeks after the release, I'm going to take CGL up on the offer to have them contact the FLGS.

Luckily, my FLGS does get Shadowrun books, but their distributor is a pain about things. frown.gif
Wesley Street
Okay... I went and purchased my very first Book+PDF combo and even downloaded the Unwired PDF. You got me, CGL! You got me! nyahnyah.gif
cryptoknight
This is good... I am happy
The Priority System
The Priority system simplifies character creation by splitting
up the creation process into sections or categories with
predefined values.

Trying to balance build points for everything just takes forever... I pray that this is allowed for SRM so I can go back to building a character and not juggling forever and a day.
Chrysalis
Already looking through it. biggrin.gif

-Chrysalis
Muspellsheimr
I will (hopefully) be getting it later tonight. Until then, can anyone give me something on how the qualities look, as well as the Infected (specifically, vampires)?
Dumori
I posted this new on 4chan and apparently there not happy. They also seam to think I'm Adam.

P.s I'm the OP and that's it if they post a copy on this thread then it has nothing to do with me.
here it is if intrested
http://zip.4chan.org/tg/res/2280103.html
Adam
People on 4chan *unhappy*? Now that's news! wink.gif
Ryu
Absolutely smoking HOT cover, that!
jklst14
YES!!!!!
Dumori
Yeah but when i did the same for unwired its was at least mixed emotions XD.
Heath Robinson
I'd just like to take a moment to interject a "WOOT!"

That is all, thank you.
Rotbart van Dainig
Official Karma-based Character Generation, at last.
Synner
By way of pimping this book:
  • The first chapter, Starting Out, focuses on the basics of team-building and roles on a shadowrun team.
  • The second chapter Survival Tips highlights some of the basic obstacles runners can face and exploits they can put to use when running in a high-tech surveillance society in a manner that's friendly to both newbies and veterans in the shadows (also demystifying some of the issues regarding omnipresent surveillance technology). It also covers some tricks for travelling around and getting your stuff to all the cool locations we've been introducing in the setting books.
  • The Alternative Character Creation chapter introduces an optional Priority-based system and a Karma-based build system.
  • The Alternative Character Conceptshas some extensive fiction to contextualize the new character options and opens up a bunch of optional character types including 2 new metavariants. For those interested in the new metavariants: nartaki are humans, harumen are dwarves, and xapiri thëpë are elves. You will also find that some old and familiar metavariants have been tweaked a bit. For those who might be interested, the four sapient non-metahuman races are: centaurs, naga, pixies (formerly known as sprites), and sasquatches. Rules are included for playing a handful of shapeshifter species, changelings, drakes, free spirits, AIs, and all the HMHVV variants (incl. ghouls).
  • New Qualities introduces slightly over 40 new Positive and 40 new Negative qualities (not counting the 60-something Metagenetic/SURGE Qualities) which run the gamut from story-oriented to minor mechanical boosts.
  • Advanced Contacts includes Group and Virtual Contacts as well as rules for Enemies and a bucnh fo sample contacts.
  • Advanced Lifestyle expands and diversifies the Lifestyle options in SR3's SSG.
  • Life on the Run is a cool short fiction section that serves to illustrate to newcomers and old timers alike how certain character types do what they do, how they percieved their own abilities, skills and powers, and how they interact with the technology, augmentations and gear associated with their area of expertise.

As a bonus: I'll have a free SR tshirt for the first person who comes up to me at GenCon and tells me the correct number of Qualities that come into play in the Intro fiction vignette of the New Qualities chapter.
CanRay
It's moments like this that I really wish I could work. frown.gif

Damn but I'd love the PDF to tide me over until my FLGS gets their copy to sell me.
Aaron
QUOTE (CanRay @ Aug 1 2008, 04:49 PM) *
It's moments like this that I really wish I could work. frown.gif

Gold farming?
Dumori
Ugh crap "job". alsmost as bad as making page views for people websites.
Zak
QUOTE (Dumori @ Aug 2 2008, 12:37 AM) *
Ugh crap "job". alsmost as bad as making page views for people websites.

still beats tech support.

yay pixies. at least now my troll knows where to get his 'dust'. rotfl.gif
hobgoblin
ok, now i want that cover as a poster on my wall!
Blue eyes
W00t loving the pdf/book sofar! Tonnes of great stuff in it smile.gif

And Im so happy that Pixies (Windlings yay!) now are available as a playable race!! notworthy.gif

CanRay
*Whimpers* Want PDF!!!
Rotbart van Dainig
..would it help to tell you that RC is really worth it? nyahnyah.gif

But... it just me, or is the second chapter slightly... repeating itself?
And, sure, MADs and ChemSniffers are covered - did I just miss the stuff for Cyberscanners?
BishopMcQ
I like the change from the cover to the internal BW page. Props to Adam!

p. 33 has info on cyberscanners

Regarding the duality of the chapter--the first part is IC, the second part is OOC
Leofski
I ould also say that the second chapter is pretty much required reading for new players. Its one of the most in-depth discussions of the tricks of the runner trade, and gives a concrete feel of what runners do. That its written as a guide for newbs is an added plus.
CanRay
Damnit! Why'd I have to go and spend so much money on Unwired when this was coming out!!!

*Pokes mailbox while strokes beard*
knasser

Well this is unexpected! It's still downloading, so I can't comment on the contents, yet. But I will say that this is the best cover since Runner Havens. Not for the content exactly (well, entirely), but because it's quality artwork and not the ugly brashness of the Augmentation cover or the cartoonish disproportions of Arsenal.

Ah, it's downloaded. Later, chummers,

K.
knasser

What happened to Banshees? They drink blood now? Didn't they used to drain their essence by terrifying their victims (sometimes to death)?
Leofski
The infected certainly appear diferent from what I remember off of Auntie Ancient's.

Additionally, Some clarification on free spirits would be nice. At one point it says that force determines the maximum and minimum for stats, then goes on to ignore this. Some help please.
Ancient History
QUOTE (Leofski @ Aug 2 2008, 04:10 PM) *
The infected certainly appear diferent from what I remember off of Auntie Ancient's.

These critters have been modified for consistency and balance, citizen. Move along now.
hermit
I'd also like a clarification on household computers. Is there anything (except paying for it) preventing me from clustering the CHN with a couple of commlinks with the same ratings to make the home node a little less totally open to any hacker?

Also, what contact ratings do group and online contacts get as a basis? How would, for instance, ShadowSea's and the Choson Ring's rating look like, could you give us an example?

Edit: found the spikes example. So I just wonder about Virtual contacts.
jklst14
How exactly does the Distinctive Style Quality work?

The cost is listed as: 5 to 35 BP. Is that 5BP per level? I'm further confused because it then goes on to say that the quality gives a +3 die pool modifier and that you can take the quality multiple times but the max modifier is +6 - which implies that the quality can only be taken twice.

Is the +3 a typo and supposed to be a +1?

-JKL

de4dmeta1
The very first line in this book made me smile far, far too much.

"Look, regardless of what you’ve heard, shadowrunners aren’t just people who shoot other people
right in the face for money."

That right there sealed the deal for me as far as whether this was a good purchase. cyber.gif
Tiger Eyes
QUOTE (hermit @ Aug 2 2008, 12:33 PM) *
I'd also like a clarification on household computers. Is there anything (except paying for it) preventing me from clustering the CHN with a couple of commlinks with the same ratings to make the home node a little less totally open to any hacker?

I'm not sure how clustering it with a couple of commlinks would make it more difficult for hacking.

Things you can do: increase the firewall, reset the system to only allow Admin passcodes, encrypt the system or certain files, add IC, add sprites, chain a security spider in your basement and provide him with endless pizza and beer...
Medicineman
When will the RC Hardcover be released in Germany ?

with a Dance of expectations
Medicineman
hermit
I'm not sure how clustering it with a couple of commlinks would make it more difficult for hacking.

Things you can do: increase the firewall, reset the system to only allow Admin passcodes, encrypt the system or certain files, add IC, add sprites, chain a security spider in your basement and provide him with endless pizza and beer...

Basically, I could load it with ice, optimised programs, and optimise it for analyse. It'd greatly increrase the system load. Work with optimised ergonomic IC and you can truely make your home be your castle.

Edit on the other stuff: I think I got it now, thanks. Still, I'd have appreciated connec/loy values for the example groups and VCs, but meh.
the_dunner
QUOTE (hermit @ Aug 2 2008, 12:33 PM) *
Also, what contact ratings do group and online contacts get as a basis? How would, for instance, ShadowSea's and the Choson Ring's rating look like, could you give us an example?

In my notes, I had the following:
ShadowSEA
Connection: 2(11) (Base 2 + Membership 6 + Area 2 + Matrix 1)

Komun’go Ring
Connection: 4(11) (Base 4+ Membership 4 + Area 2 + Magic 1)

Of course, these values are somewhat subjective -- which is probably why they were omitted. You may feel that the group's area of influence, base connection, or membership varies a bit. With larger groups, you won't necessarily have a connection with the entire membership. (As a RL example of a virtual contact, some DS members might have a connection with other members in the SR forum, but not in the "Welcome to the Shadows" forum.)
hermit
Thanks for the breakdown, dunner. smile.gif
Squinky
The majority of that art is just plain awesome!

I love the new qualities and everything really, but man, there is a lot of out there stuff with the new character races smile.gif
Synner
QUOTE (the_dunner @ Aug 2 2008, 07:46 PM) *
In my notes, I had the following:
ShadowSEA
Connection: 2(11) (Base 2 + Membership 6 + Area 2 + Matrix 1)

Komun'go Ring
Connection: 4(11) (Base 4+ Membership 4 + Area 2 + Magic 1)

Of course, these values are somewhat subjective -- which is probably why they were omitted. You may feel that the group's area of influence, base connection, or membership varies a bit. With larger groups, you won't necessarily have a connection with the entire membership. (As a RL example of a virtual contact, some DS members might have a connection with other members in the SR forum, but not in the "Welcome to the Shadows" forum.)

Including more sample values for the Group Contact was something that was on the table until the very last minute. John Dunn, who wrote the Advanced Contacts chapter, had included them, and I was inclined to feature a few as examples in a sidebar - then we literally ran out of space. A couple of other reasons why they weren't included is that because such values are variable, normal contacts don't have them (in SR4, Adventures and Contacts or Runners' Companion), another reason—as John has pointed out above—is that depending on your specific contact with a group your values may vary enormously.

Take, for instance, a character who wants the Illuminates of the New Dawn as a contact. If he has some friends in the local Auburn IOND chapterhouse/branch he might have very low ratings in both connection and loyalty. However, if the same character had an in with the leadership of the organization on an transnational level that would equate to completely different ratings (for the exact same Group Contact).
Synner
I love the new qualities and everything really, but man, there is a lot of out there stuff with the new character races .

We really wanted to diversify the character options we were providing. Many of the new races won't be suitable for many games, but they are noted as optional and up to each group. We also took this opportunity to address some of the potential imbalances in previous editions and streamline how some races work when compared to their NPC counterparts. Note that some of the non-metahuman races will be revisited and the information about their biologies and societies expanded upon in Running Wild.

I'm particularly happy with how the Metahuman and Sapient Demographics fiction came out in the end.
Synner
QUOTE (jklst14 @ Aug 2 2008, 05:33 PM) *
How exactly does the Distinctive Style Quality work?
The cost is listed as: 5 to 35 BP. Is that 5BP per level? I'm further confused because it then goes on to say that the quality gives a +3 die pool modifier and that you can take the quality multiple times but the max modifier is +6 - which implies that the quality can only be taken twice.

It can be taken multiple times for different features, each time providing a bonus of 5 BP. However, each time the Negative quality is taken, and approved by the gamemaster, anyone trying to locate and identify the character gets a +3. There is a typo in this writeup but its the bonus provided to people hunting you which should cap at +9. While you can take the Distinctive Style Negative quality up to 7 times (for 35 BP), the maximum bonus someone searching for you can benefit should be +9 (meaning that beyond a certain point—the third time the Quality is taken—being even more distinctive provides no additional bonuses to potential trackers.)
knasser
QUOTE (Ancient History @ Aug 2 2008, 05:16 PM) *
These critters have been modified for consistency and balance, citizen. Move along now.

Bah! *takes out pen and writes over text on screen*.

I like variety. Consistency and Balance lead, ultimately, to D&D 4th Edition.

Scary banshees for me, please. biggrin.gif

I liked the classic tag line on the inside cover, by the way. Made me feel ever so nostaligic.

-K.
Blue eyes
Loving the book sofar!

QUOTE (Synner @ Aug 2 2008, 03:51 PM) *
Note that some of the non-metahuman races will be revisited and the information about their biologies and societies expanded upon in Running Wild.

I'm particularly happy with how the Metahuman and Sapient Demographics fiction came out in the end.

Great job on those sections and more info on the non-metahuman races in Running Wild sounds awesome! biggrin.gif

Just loving the wide range of races available in the game now, and once again cheers for including pixies as a nod to a time long forgotten ty wink.gif
Synner
QUOTE (knasser @ Aug 2 2008, 10:09 PM) *
Bah! *takes out pen and writes over text on screen*.
I like variety. Consistency and Balance lead, ultimately, to D&D 4th Edition.

Scary banshees for me, please. biggrin.gif

In the end it comes down to making the effects of the HMHVV strain consistent. Regarding peculiarities like the banshee's instilling fear in their victims—why not just say that banshees have a particular preference for the endorphins and enkephalin released as a fear reaction into the blood stream and will go out of their way to trigger that release. I'm pretty sure that's how we'll be addressing some of those things in Running Wild.
Ancient History
QUOTE (Synner @ Aug 2 2008, 10:01 PM) *
In the end it comes down to making the effects of the HMHVV strain consistent. Regarding peculiarities like the banshee's instilling fear in their victims—why not just say that banshees have a particular preference for the endorphins and enkephalin released as a fear reaction into the blood stream and will go out of their way to trigger that release. I'm pretty sure that's how we'll be addressing some of those things in Running Wild.

You can also note that Essence Drain still requires a powerful emotion, such as terror, to occur. So you can still feed off your victim's fear.
Oenone
I suddenly have an overwhelming urge to make a Pixie Adept Hacker....
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Dumpshock Forums © 2001-2012