Dumpshock Forums > Discussion > Shadowrun
Squinky
Pg. 87 Runners Companion

In practice, this means that shapeshifters can only accept
deltaware implants, and only in their natural animal forms. These
implants do not carry over to their human form, but they don’t
disappear either—they’re simply not available while the character
is in human form.

Thats all cool, so by this logic, does that mean that you don't have to get naked to shift anymore?

Since the animal form can have implants that don't transfer over, does that mean you can shift while fully geared as a metahuman and when you shift back you are set?

This has always been my biggest issue with them. And I am hoping this one paragraph is enough justification to do it that way smile.gif
Ancient History
No.
Squinky
Heh, okay thanks.
MJBurrage
If the short answer bothers you, just remember that once you pay essence for the implants, they become part of you. Hence that do not hinder the change.

As for not wanting to be naked when you change back into human form, what about some high tech elastic fiber that can stretch enough to stay on as you change. Such clothing would probably be limited to the equivalent of unarmored shorts.
P.S. They might have to be purple smile.gif
Ryu
I am now trying to imagine a tiger shapeshifter wearing purple lycro-pants in tigger form. rotfl.gif
Jhaiisiin
Using elastic seams, and velcro fasteners, you could have a normal street-clothes outfit that wouldn't rip itself to shreds just by you shifting (for the larger shifters). Similarly, using lycra or spandex clothing would allow it to still fit onto the smaller animals. Of course, if you happen to be a metavariant shifter (like a troll shifter or whatever), you might not even need that. A troll-bear shifter would be wearing basically the same thing either way.
Isath
Might, as always, be a personal preference, but I tend to have the clothing ripping or at least damaged. The body deforms drasticly and rapidly and clothing that fits better than very loose, has a tendancy to dislike such "acts". Alone the change in muscle propotions is likely to damage the clothing. The troll/bear thing seems quite reasonable though. wink.gif

Like I said it's just preference, there are enough reasons to rule otherwise.

The elastic clothing thing came to my mind, but it doesn't make to much sense in many situations and can get you nastily entangled. Also I imagine an shapeshifter to be glad to get rid of that second-hand fur and get back to the own. Armor however will not match there, I guess. Neither will it be elastic enough nor will it fit properly enough to of reasonable effect, without massive hindrance. That goes for "Troll-Bear-Pig" aswell. wink.gif

Maybe some high budget project by a corp could come up with something... but mostly I think of it as somewhat poor.
Jaid
well, if you're a magician and have the right metamagic techniques and the karma to burn on an anchoring focus, you could certainly pull it off =P

[edit] which implies you could probably come up with some kind of unique focus, actually, now i think about it. [/edit]
Jades_Ditoyr
Well, getting naked to shift *shouldn't* be much of a problem, considering that animals aren't compelled to wear clothing to begin with. It should be easier to cope with naked shifts when you consider that you aren't human in an animal form, but an animal in a human form.
Jackstand
Yeah. Your shapeshifter probably doesn't want to be like this guy.
Isath
Indeed, try to dress a Tiger wink.gif

However, magic workers can somehow deal with everything someway, they do, after all, work magic. wink.gif The Fashion spell might be a good basis there...

Still I'd see a shifter that somewhat adapted to "civilization" as used to wearing clothes, but prefering not to. Hell, I mean I am glad to be out of my clothes at the end of the day. Wearing clothes on top of your fur must be itchy, partly painful and somewhat like wearing two thick pulovers. Also ever had a more tightly fitting pair of pants tearing at the hair on your legs - imagine that on all of your body... ouch! Especially (but not exclusively) the more elastic fabrics have a tendancy to do that. ...and now let us talk about building up static electricity... biggrin.gif

Thanks but I'll skip on the Panther-Pants. wink.gif
hyzmarca
Just get a deltaware cybertorso with a little flip-down panel that covers your crotch when in human form.

Then get a smartlinked DNI-controlled assault cannon or minigun bolted to the back of your cybertorso so that you can use it in animal form.
Jaid
QUOTE (hyzmarca @ Aug 10 2008, 11:39 AM) *
Just get a deltaware cybertorso with a little flip-down panel that covers your crotch when in human form.

Then get a smartlinked DNI-controlled assault cannon or minigun bolted to the back of your cybertorso so that you can use it in animal form.

in human form, the cyber merges. so the panel that covers your crotch is no good wink.gif
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Dumpshock Forums © 2001-2012