Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: What do you think of Technomancers?
Dumpshock Forums > Discussion > Shadowrun
Pages: 1, 2
sunnyside
thought?
Stahlseele
the indifferent option is missing.
i ain't playing no SR4, but even if i did, technomancers would only concern me peripherically . .
if someone wants to play one, fine, let them have their fun, as long as i get to have my fun too.
PlatonicPimp
I like technomancers once a few tweaks have been made. Unwired went a long way to increasing their cool in my mind.

Personally I hate the radio thing, and replace it with the skinlink echo for all technos for free. I also hate paragons. Other than that, awesome.

Also, apparently they can lick god in the matrix. I wonder what he tastes like.
ElFenrir
Hehehe, godlicking is always fun. grinbig.gif

Option I'd like missing. ''Great if built with Karmagen. Otherwise, let the buyer beware.''

Nah, you can scratch 'em out in the RAW..but they really do have problems with about everything else. I like 'em, personally.
sunnyside
Alright I'll resist the urge to pretend that wasn't a typo and I was refering to Pulsar or something. I should really proof my posts more...

Glyph
They are fine as an option for players, but they are not really my personal cup of tea. Too hyper-specialized for a matrix role, too hard to put a decent one together, and you need to know a whole new set of rules, just for them, in addition to the already confusing Matrix rules.
Oenone
I haven't had chance to play the one I've made yet, but they seem interesting from an roleplaying point of view.

Rules wise they aren't perfect, but Unwired has done a lot to make them more playable.
Ryu
Most of the issues my group had don´t exist under the karma system. You don´t have to choose between min/maxing and inefficiency, with no real steps inbetween. Unwired added loads of style, drawing fantasy-loving players into the matrix. So they are ok. You just need yourself a group that accepts guidelines on character development, power-wise. The munchkin potential is there, like with mages and riggers. Cooperative gaming is good.
NightmareX
Option not found.

They are too indistinct from a form of magic (fluff and mechanically speaking) and that is highly annoying. I could handle mechanical similarity, but the fluff similarity is just too much. IMO magic should never be able to directly affect the Matrix. Otherwise I just don't care about them.
hermit
They're either brokenly good at a task or totally suck, and that makes for bad gameplay

If not built with care and good knowledge of the rules (and Karmagen), they tend to suck the first 100 Karma, otherwise, you can forget having mundane hackers as opposition, because they're just gonna get trampled by Neo, the unstoppable god of the Matrix.

Related to:
My TM tries to get sprite bonuses on absolutly everything, drives me nuts

Machine sprites are seriously and totally broken. They make the Enhanced Atriculation and mnemonic booster in 3 look balanced by comparison.

Theri godlike matrix abilities cause problems in game

Technomancers built with Unwired and RC are unstoppable (save for other mancers). Not only can they hack into any computer in existence anywhere (read up on resonance quests), they can also vastly outpower mundane hackers and even adept hackers in terms of raw power wielded in the Matrix. Also, with well chosene chos, they can (until an errata clarifies) use several rules loopholes to thread their CFs infinitly and not suffer any mali.

They're lousy to have in a game

Conclusion of the above.

I miss the "it's a blatant Matrix rip-off and I think that's lame" option, though. wink.gif
GreyBrother
Wouldn't want to miss them and i like my Technomancer. He isn't a god in the Matrix, nice built after a fluff project i continued from 3rd Edition and i look forward to my first submerge.
Don't know why some people call them Neo Rip-offs. Why didn't anybody say something similar about Otaku in SR3?
Sir_Psycho
My option was missing. From a fluff standpoint, I like them. I like their place in the world and their public image as presented in Emergence. However, in game terms, I wouldn't allow them to be played. Partly because their rules are too wierd. Mainly the idea of resonance quests. I can't reconcile the fact that they can some-how manifest in a computer that is separated from the matrix, and that they can recover peranently deleted or corrupted files.

This is because my perception of technomancers is not that they are magical. They are an aberration caused by the evolution of ASIST protocols, and the matrix absorbtion of the collective unconsciousness of matrix users (at least maybe) and an amalgamation of the biocomputer research carried out by figures like Halberstam, Deus, and Aztechnology. That's about as far as I go, and even that is to be held as mysterious and uncertain. The idea of them being able to appear in a computer inside a faraday cage a mile underground? That's complete fantasy, and therefore ruins the mystery.

So with the help of Emergence and my own imagination, I use them as a plot device. Something to intrigue the shadowrunners and contextualise them in the paranoid post-crash society they live in. I don't use them as magical matrix fairies.
Wesley Street
I like them just fine as NPCs. My players haven't chosen to create technomancers as PCs as of yet so I'll reserve judgment until I see them in action.

Godlicking. *slurp slurp*
tsuyoshikentsu
Option Missing: "I don't understand the rules AT ALL so they're NPC-only (if existant) and handwaved in my games."
kzt
QUOTE (GreyBrother @ Aug 17 2008, 04:04 AM) *
Why didn't anybody say something similar about Otaku in SR3?

Because most people didn't run 10 year old characters? Or allow them in their game. Hence they didn't affect most games?
Not of this World
QUOTE (GreyBrother @ Aug 17 2008, 03:04 AM) *
Wouldn't want to miss them and i like my Technomancer. He isn't a god in the Matrix, nice built after a fluff projected i continued from 3rd Edition and i look forward to my first submerge.
Don't know why some people call them Neo Rip-offs. Why didn't anybody say something similar about Otaku in SR3?

Check the date on the first Matrix movie versus 2nd edition Otaku.

Otaku came first, so it is hard for Otaku to rip them off. It was also never specified in 2nd or 3rd edition for sure if they were magical or technological in nature. Plus while they were very powerful in the Matrix, there were many, many things far more powerful than them still (AIs for one, Ultraviolet hosts, SKs, and Psychotropic IC was always scary).

Plus most people just didn't play with one in the group.

P.S. - my vote was other - I play a different edition of SR.
Cyntax
I'd rather they just left the Otaku as they were.
sunnyside
QUOTE (kzt @ Aug 17 2008, 03:13 PM) *
Because most people didn't run 10 year old characters? Or allow them in their game. Hence they didn't affect most games?

Also I'm not so sure Otaku were all that potent in the matrix comparatively. I honestly don't remember, never had someone play one. They did make for fun fluff though.
Fuchs
I do not care about the stats, I hate the concept. Maybe I'll have one as an NPC for some creepy, "twilight zone" halloween special run, but not as a regular part of my SR world.
GreyBrother
QUOTE (Not of this World @ Aug 17 2008, 10:58 PM) *
Check the date on the first Matrix movie versus 2nd edition Otaku.

I see... VR 2.0 1995, Denver Sourcebook 1994 and Matrix 1999.

Doesn't explain the "Neo Rip-Off" for me, though. I can't see that much similarities except the Abilitie to "see" WiFi Signals.
kzt
QUOTE (Fuchs @ Aug 18 2008, 02:31 AM) *
I do not care about the stats, I hate the concept. Maybe I'll have one as an NPC for some creepy, "twilight zone" halloween special run, but not as a regular part of my SR world.

Indeed. They suck as a concept, as did Otaku.
Fleinhoy
option I'd like to pick missing:

Rules wise I don't know enough about them, but have to admit I don't like the concept: too similar to mages and hackers to suit the players who can't decide which one to play. They fall between the lines, and just feel like an unnesesary and artificial addition. Besides, I don't think magic (or something so similar) should be allowed to mess about with the matrix.

On the other hand, I have a certain soft-spot the idea that magic (let's call it that for simplicity’s sake) has evolved to fit the modern times, but this isn't outweighed by my initial and lasting dislike.
DireRadiant
Technomancers are nigh unto gods of the matrix. The matrix is almost everywhere. Repent!
Cain
Also I'm not so sure Otaku were all that potent in the matrix comparatively. I honestly don't remember, never had someone play one. They did make for fun fluff though.

An otaku under SR3 could start with a Computer skill of 8, and the karma costs for Submersion weren't nearly as steep as a Submersion + Resonance increase for technomancers. Also, otaku could benefit from cyber without harming their abilities. They were physically weak, so they were always limited in scope; but they were very good at running the matrix. A tricked-out otaku could run circles around all but the best deckers; they made up for this by being one-trick ponies, though.
Particle_Beam
QUOTE (Fuchs @ Aug 18 2008, 11:31 AM) *
That's a pity. I like the idea of people who are inexplicably connected to the matrix somehow, without it being really magic. Rules-wise, they seem subpar (at least presented in the BBB).
Fuchs
But it is magic. There's no technological explanation for it and there's the typical "cyberware hurts your magic/resonance" stuff. Plus there's all the spirit/sprite similarities.

It just doesn't sit well with my view of the matrix, and the world of Shadowrun. The matrix should require tech to access.

If I did TMs, I'd surely not make them the mages that they are in the book, I'd make them a (maybe unwitting/unwilling) host for AIs, maybe a sort of cell of a hidden hive mind - and they'd require some tech/cyberware to connect to the matrix. And they surely would not lose any power just for having more of what makes the matrix itself, meaning tech, in their bodies.
sunnyside
QUOTE (Fuchs @ Aug 20 2008, 02:55 AM) *
But it is magic. There's no technological explanation for it and there's the typical "cyberware hurts your magic/resonance" stuff. Plus there's all the spirit/sprite similarities.

It just doesn't sit well with my view of the matrix, and the world of Shadowrun. The matrix should require tech to access.

If I did TMs, I'd surely not make them the mages that they are in the book, I'd make them a (maybe unwitting/unwilling) host for AIs, maybe a sort of cell of a hidden hive mind - and they'd require some tech/cyberware to connect to the matrix. And they surely would not lose any power just for having more of what makes the matrix itself, meaning tech, in their bodies.

Alternatively you could have them grow their own bioware or somesuch that also uses up essence. This would keep the game balance and keep them different than regular hackers.
NightmareX
QUOTE (Fuchs @ Aug 20 2008, 01:55 AM) *

The Resonance realms and quests are the biggest issue for me. I can - kinda - get around it by assuming that the realms don't truly exist but are in fact projections of the techno's own mind (essentially a meditative exercise) in order to make sense of things they can't rationally understand (like recovering deleted files - something that is possible even these days I guess with the proper tools?). Of course I haven't read the entirety of Unwired yet so that might fall flat.

If that be the case though, I've thought of a contingency plan to "deal with" technos in my campaigns rather than just hand waving them away - I call it the Ghostline virus, basically a virus of unknown origin that infects OSs and reacts catastrophically with anything Resonance based. I'm still working on the idea though so that's about as far as I've got. I'll post more when I've developed the idea further, any thoughts or help would be highly welcome though.
Fuchs
I guess I could handle TMs if they were done less "magic, but in the matrix and called resonance" style. The difference between hackers and TMs would be like between Wizards and Sorcerers in D&D 3E - a fireball is cast the same by either, but there are some differences in fluff and handling.

If TMs were fluff wise actually possessed by some AI-like parasite/virus, which granted them "apparent spontaneous programs" which were in reality actual programs handled by the AI hidden in his headware and brain that would make more sense to me.

But I really don't want magical matrix stuff.
GreyBrother
I agree with the first Paragraph, but disagree with the second.

But the resonance is mysterious and you can actually explain it with some AI Master and prove Clockwork right wink.gif

My favourite explanation? It's a kind of evolution. Not a biological evolution, just some way of "synchronisation" between the Matrix and the Human Brain. It's a bit pseudomysterious, but everything unexplainable starts as a mystery.
Wesley Street
That's a similar explanation to what I use as well. Though this does pertain to biology, evolutionary theory states that change often comes around in fits and starts. I see technomancers as the next step in a race of people who are constantly bombarded by information, be it a rapid biological change or a rapid sociological one. To put it in simpler terms, my parents can't believe that I can both work and surf the Internet at the same time and still be productive. And I'm astonished as to how Generation Y/Z can listen to music, talk on the phone, watch TV, and study all at the same time.
NightmareX
Those are great explanations but they don't fully explain Resonance realms (or do they)?
KitsuneKaze
My interpretation of them losing resonance due to cyber was stems from my engineering. Inside your skull is a horrible place for an antenna. It kind of implied to me that they utilised they're whole nervous system as an antenna array.

Sprites, to me are unconscious reflections of the TM's mind, forced into a very organic program. They can go free, etc etc.

As for resonance realms, that I didn't like, though some concepts with quantum computing and and entanglement goes a long way towards some interesting concepts.
Fuchs
I'd not explain matrix metaplanes, I mean, resonance realms.
GreyBrother
Resonance Realms... My character believes that they were always there since humanity first got a grasp on concepts like networking information, sharing data through any means and communication. Humanity just aquired technology to "travel" or "access" an In-Between-World = The Matrix.

But that's quite speculative, although a fun idea for him to play, since he is quite confident, that technomancer-like-characters were around for some time, but did express themselves after the birth of the internet for the first time. Roughly.

As for losing Resonance when you lose essence... that's easy to explain. The antenna of a technomancer is his nervous system. Otaku in SR3 got mali when they installed and used headware and their otaku-abilities and otaku didn't need the sophisticated nervous system a technomancer uses, so they could use some 'ware. The nervous system is everywhere, so if you cut out a piece of flesh, your nervous system get's disturbed too and therefore you lose Resonance.

Sprites could be those "random code fragments" what they talked about in iRobot. Same goes for Paragons. They could be a cumulative persona for various things on the net. Paragons are the prime example here with guys like Shooter, Echelon, Snuff and Alias.

Fuchs
I hate the idea that TMs do not need technology to access technology.
GreyBrother
You may call it bioengineering then wink.gif
Fuchs
No. I'll simply not use TMs, or if so, make them cyberware-dependent.
Cyntax
I like my little Otaku.
Not of this World
QUOTE (Cyntax @ Aug 21 2008, 05:08 AM) *
I like my little Otaku.

Yeah, and one of the major advantages was that any Gm could decide if their powers were Mystical or Technical in origin.

The lack of delineation between the two was one of the reasons I disliked late 2nd edition (Where the rules for everything were silly and just treated everything like magic). You also can't convince me that the rules for SR4 are any kind of improvement when you bring up Technomancers versus Otaku (or the Matrix in general for that matter).

But seriously for the other side, in what way are Technomancers better than Otaku whether as a plot device, NPC, or PC?
Wesley Street
QUOTE (NightmareX @ Aug 21 2008, 01:22 AM) *
Those are great explanations but they don't fully explain Resonance realms (or do they)?

The human mind interpreting machine code as a religious/spiritual experience.

Computer bits make a character code --> Character code makes a program --> Programs make a system --> Overlapping and connected systems make the Matrix --> Where bits of broken code (like junk DNA) join up with other bits of broken code and half-working programs and systems to make new and "alien" programs, systems and experiences you get the Resonance Realms. It's like a Mutant Internet where the beauty is in the chaos of it all.

Um, yeah, I design and code websites all day. *cough* upsidedown.gif
Icephisherman
I like them because they're another option aside from hacker characters. I like that they tried to differentiate them from your normal hackers but it feels that they couldn't find a shoehorn to make them fit and used a crowbar instead. So it feels a bit forced and sometimes uncomfortable.

I understand why ware and resonance don't play nice because technos would just be hackers with ware. This way they end up as modified spellslingers that use "programs" instead of immolating the opposition.

I don't like sprites. Or rather, I believe that they are broken. If they weren't free to summon (minus the time) they'd be more balanced. Play an elf, grab that high charisma stat and up to eight (or nine with exceptional attribute) and you'll never have to fail a matrix skill roll ever again. Or dump machine sprites into cyberware or guns or cars or planes or whatever and you'll never fail there either. Not to mention that with unwired you could actually send them out into the matrix to make nuyen for you each month starting at 10k each. I'll never, ever tell my players about that.

I think the reason that I love/hate them the most though is because they are completely nuyen independent. Since spoofing lifestyles came out you can actually run one almost for free after food and gas. They don't buy cyberware, they don't have to pay for their lifestyle, they aren't heavy into guns, they don't need any tailsmongering or summoning materials. So their cred can snowball. So all of a sudden dropping 10k in cred when that would break any other shadowrunner's bank screws with me. The only thing that I could possibly think of that they need money for is to get teaching for new complex forms.

Of course, they can always just double as a rigger with sub par piloting and gunnery skills and make up for it by having lots of machine sprites.

I like the choice that technomacers offer. I just hate that they are incredibly broken and in the wrong hands are completely game breaking.
ravensmuse
I always liked Synner's take on it: magic adapts. Technology has become a major part of our lives. So magic adapted. Thus you get the otaku (UGE) and then Technomancers (Goblinization). Though I still like cyberkinetic as the better term.

And I'm sorry, "hacker adept" always struck me as a cheesey way to go about things. "I'm the master of my own body, so I'm going to stick wires in my brain and hack away!" Riiiiight. And you're not doing it because you can up your atts, right?
GreyBrother
QUOTE (Not of this World @ Aug 21 2008, 06:00 PM) *
But seriously for the other side, in what way are Technomancers better than Otaku whether as a plot device, NPC, or PC?

"Should they be better?" is my counter question here.
Because i don't think that Technomancers aren't that much thought through in their starting development. I think it was more a "Well, there are the Otaku, how will they develop?" and the writers just made them 1:1 like Hackers and gave them some specials.
I like them how they are and i love playing them, but the taste is a bit... like food from the last three days turned into a new lunch. grinbig.gif
Wesley Street
Technomancers. The cold pizza of Shadowrun archetypes.
Not of this World
QUOTE (GreyBrother @ Aug 21 2008, 09:45 AM) *
"Should they be better?" is my counter question here.
Because i don't think that Technomancers aren't that much thought through in their starting development. I think it was more a "Well, there are the Otaku, how will they develop?" and the writers just made them 1:1 like Hackers and gave them some specials.
I like them how they are and i love playing them, but the taste is a bit... like food from the last three days turned into a new lunch. grinbig.gif

Yes they should be better. If you're going to rip a "character class" out of a game and replace it in a new edition then you should make sure it is an improvement.

In my opinion the decision was made to replace Otaku (And many other things) before seeing if they worked out better could actually be improved on.

and other than being in the Matrix and using computer skill, Otaku didn't play at all like Deckers. Otaku had different skills and abilities and primarily improved through Karma. Deckers had one skill and depended mostly on programs and improved primarily through acquiring better gear. The Decker could be as kick butt in the real world or more than in the Matrix. Otaku were incredible and better than most Deckers in the Matrix, but were physically weak kids in the real world. Everything depends on how it is played, but in my experience Otaku and Deckers were very, very different.
GreyBrother
What you said sounds to me like the Hacker/TM Relationship. Please enlighten me the differences here. I'm curious.
Not of this World
QUOTE (GreyBrother @ Aug 21 2008, 12:48 PM) *
What you said sounds to me like the Hacker/TM Relationship. Please enlighten me the differences here. I'm curious.

The difference is that Otaku were far better developed both in game mechanics and story background.

I'm not going to go into the differences between different elements of 4th edition because I'm not an expert and I know just enough about the edition to know I don't want to be one.

But one glaring difference is in the wireless mechanics themselves. Otaku were weak in the physical world, but a Technomancer... well he can hack your cyberware, your guns, your car, etc all just while standing there staring at you. If an Otaku kid was in a street fight then he pretty much already lost. The Matrix has lost that technological and futuristic feeling to me in 4th edition and now is just that "Other Astral Plane" where people mystically connect to it and from there to electronic things you'd never hook up to a network.

Yes in 3rd edition you had radio commlinks, satellite uplinks, and could hack all kinds of things that were connected to the Matrix... but you didn't have techno-mystics staring at someone and turning the lights off unless it was real magic.

Shadowrun was where Man met Magic & Machine, now it is more like Shadow: The Running where Man meets Machine-Magic.

I'll end this again by asking my original question which didn't get answered: In what way are Technomancers better than Otaku?
Cain
QUOTE (Not of this World @ Aug 21 2008, 11:20 AM) *
Yes they should be better. If you're going to rip a "character class" out of a game and replace it in a new edition then you should make sure it is an improvement.

In my opinion the decision was made to replace Otaku (And many other things) before seeing if they worked out better could actually be improved on.

and other than being in the Matrix and using computer skill, Otaku didn't play at all like Deckers. Otaku had different skills and abilities and primarily improved through Karma. Deckers had one skill and depended mostly on programs and improved primarily through acquiring better gear. The Decker could be as kick butt in the real world or more than in the Matrix. Otaku were incredible and better than most Deckers in the Matrix, but were physically weak kids in the real world. Everything depends on how it is played, but in my experience Otaku and Deckers were very, very different.

Otaku weren't the karma sinks that TM's are. They could improve with cyberware as well as karma, putting them on a more even footing. I don't have Unwired; but as written in the base book, TM's have to spend BP's like crazy in order to keep up with a similar decker. That means they're weaker in many other areas, not just physically. For example, otaku could take cyber without taking a hit to their matrix abilities. That meant an otaku could eventually add combat cyberware, making them a force in physical combat. They could also add skillwires, which would make up for their deficiencies in other areas. TM's cant do any of that without losing matrix abilities.

Otaku could start with a Computer skill of 8, and higher mental attributes than anyone else of their metatype. While the meaning of this difference changed between editions, the end result was that they were very, very powerful in the matrix right out of the box, certainly better than a comparably-built decker. The higher mental attributes meant a better cyberdeck-equivalent, and added to the hacking pool; combined with a higher skill, that meant you had more dice to roll. A well-built starting TM may be roughly equal to a decent SR4 decker in the matrix, and could easily be worse than a well-optimized decker. TM's dice pools tend to come out smaller than an equivalent decker, and their living personas are no match for a custom commlink. They rely on Threading to make up for the difference, but that causes Drain.

Otaku created under the priority system would have just as many skill points as anyone else. They did concentrate a lot of that to get their high Computer skill, but they still had enough to put lots of points into other useful skills. Under the point system, they tended to come out about the same. In SR4, the high BP costs to raise Resonance and buy complex forms means they have less points for *everything* else.

Sprites are where TMs do exceed Otaku. The sheer variety and powers of sprites overwhelm the ability of daemons. What that means, though, is that the summoner-type is a more viable build than a matrix-runner. So, instead of being able to slice through black IC on their own, we have the army of sprites doing it for them.

In my experience, Otaku were the envy of deckers in the matrix, but in turn paid for it with physical frailty. TM's are the sidekicks of deckers, not being quite as powerful in the matrix, but with the ability to provide a useful trick or two. They're also physically frail, however; and they also tend to have narrower skill sets, making them less useful overall. In short, outside of the matrix, an otaku was a liability in physical combat; a TM can be a liability *everywhere*.
tete
[gronard on] I hates them! [gronard off] They are ok i suppose but much like ghouls and bizarre metahuman types should be in the companion and not in the main book. The GM should have the option to leave them out.
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Dumpshock Forums © 2001-2012