Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: The Last Stand
Dumpshock Forums > Discussion > Welcome to the Shadows
Pages: 1, 2, 3, 4
Gremish
QUOTE (Intro @ Aug 23 2008, 02:13 PM) *
@Gremish
I was wondering if we got any external views of the temple that the sphere was in; Abe might be able to identify the plants or animals in the scene, or animal remains or carvings or what-have-you and get a possible location for the temple as a first step. Not sure what kind of test that would be: memory, biology, some wilderness skill?

You see it as a rain forest, the temple is ancient, maybe South American? The plant life seems to be similair to modern day but something about it is wrong, it seems like the plant life is ancient as well, like the beginnings of modern day plant life.

Your skills easily ID these things without needing to roll.
Gremish
Sorry about being so far behind guys, New IC post is up, my weekend was hella busy, but fun. Hope you guys all had a great weekend as well!
crizh
eek, you jumped forward a bit.

How did we do with locating each other?
DWC
@Gremish: Since it suddenly became a pressing concern, how well does Vice think his rating-4 fake SIN and fake licenses will do at getting him through security and onto a commercial flight to Seattle? I'm curious because I can't find anything specific in any 4th ed book on how tight travel security measures.
Gremish
QUOTE (crizh @ Aug 25 2008, 06:55 PM) *
eek, you jumped forward a bit.

How did we do with locating each other?

I appologize, I didnt do a great job of reading all the way through everything for everyone, I will have to re-read it tonight and get back to you on this one.

Vice think it will do fairly well for the most part, minus any major catastrophes.
BlackHat
are we nine? I thought there were 10 of us?
Glyph
I was curious about that myself. My first draft of my post had Viper wondering about that IC, but then I thought I had better make sure it really was only nine people or not.
DWC
I figured I'd gloss over that, because I was more curious about whether Vice could wake up from the dream, hop on a suborbital to Seattle where it's still the previous day, go to sleep on a second July 8th and have the dream again.
Gremish
QUOTE (BlackHat @ Aug 25 2008, 10:12 PM) *
are we nine? I thought there were 10 of us?

My mistake you are totally correct, my brain is obviously still fried =P
DWC
@Gremish: Am I having another characteristic case of cluelessness and missing the character specific adjustments you made for the Hong Kong and Tokyo PCs? I saw the ones for Seattle and Detroit and it got me wondering.

Edit:
And does high lifestyle cover little things like intercontinental airfare? If not, what's a round trip ticket to Seattle going to cost?

2nd Edit:
@Gremish: Can the PCs in different time zones, asleep at different times, interact with each other in the dream?
crizh
@Gremish. Was the Sim recording I tried to make of the first dream successful?
Gremish
QUOTE (DWC @ Aug 26 2008, 09:10 AM) *
@Gremish: Am I having another characteristic case of cluelessness and missing the character specific adjustments you made for the Hong Kong and Tokyo PCs? I saw the ones for Seattle and Detroit and it got me wondering.

Edit:
And does high lifestyle cover little things like intercontinental airfare? If not, what's a round trip ticket to Seattle going to cost?

You are 100% correct, i apologize, I forgot to add them in without their extra stories =P

The airfare costs 300 round trip, 200 one way!

Here they are!

@Scope
[ Spoiler ]

@BlackHat
[ Spoiler ]

@DWC
[ Spoiler ]

@Crizh
[ Spoiler ]
Gremish
QUOTE (DWC @ Aug 26 2008, 10:10 AM) *
2nd Edit:
@Gremish: Can the PCs in different time zones, asleep at different times, interact with each other in the dream?

Yes.

@crizh

No sir it comes out 100% fuzz static.
BlackHat
Good plan, though. Posting IC shortly. Sorry, I've been swamped.
BlackHat
Question: If Malloc.I attempts to 'speak' through iconography, or otherwise use his innate programs (creating a backdoor in this node, an account with admin access, etc) do these have any effect? Even if no icons appear near his, is the being aware of Malloc.I's attempt to speak in this manner?
Oenone
@Gremish

Did Weavers Data Search (before the second dream) find any of the honeypot sites that Granny set up?

If so how long did it take and how secure are the sites the data is on? (Because she may well want to probe and hack them or perhaps leave a sprite.)

Regarding the money transfer after the second dream, what sort of account did the money come from? A one time credit/debit account? A numbered account or is there any actual information showing up in terms of the bank details it came from?

(I am admittedly assuming the receiver gets nominal information about who pays them nuyen without having to hack things. Well, that and I'm also assuming the money doesn't just 'appear' like magic.)

Quick edit - The round trip tickets, are they like a standard holiday ticket with a preset return flight? Or are they more like a travel back whenever ticket?
Gremish
QUOTE (BlackHat @ Aug 26 2008, 06:46 PM) *
Good plan, though. Posting IC shortly. Sorry, I've been swamped.

Me too brother lol. I have been swamped for weeks now =P
crizh
I have a feeling that we are going to spend a fair amount of time globe trotting. Getting people and more importantly their gear across borders is a pest and the more you do it the more likely you are to f up and get in trouble.

Which is why I added 'The Blimp' to Granny's drone army...

However, I've just looked up the distance from Hong Kong to Seattle and it's a long way. Nine days by blimp, to be precise.

I'm wondering if either of the Mages might be able to give a bit of Spirit assistance?

Force 4 or 5 would cut that down to a couple of days....

We could even swing past Tokyo on the way.

Goodness knows where we'll end up after Seattle but I'm thinking moving the whole team and big chunks of restricted or illegal gear rapidly around the globe is going to be a major feature of this game...
Scope_47
Sorry I haven't posted yet, I was going to tonight after I finished my work for tomorrow, but its already 1am, and I just now finished - so it'll be tomorrow. (Shame how work piles up when you have to go out of town for a couple of days unexpectedly... BLEH).
BlackHat
QUOTE (BlackHat @ Aug 26 2008, 06:53 PM) *
Question: If Malloc.I attempts to 'speak' through iconography, or otherwise use his innate programs (creating a backdoor in this node, an account with admin access, etc) do these have any effect? Even if no icons appear near his, is the being aware of Malloc.I's attempt to speak in this manner?

Bumping question just because Gremish has posted since then. smile.gif
crizh
edit- wrong flaming game.

What a moron.....
Oenone
QUOTE (crizh @ Aug 27 2008, 02:50 AM) *
Which is why I added 'The Blimp' to Granny's drone army...

Granny has her own airship now?

(Why do I have the image of fleet of Conestoga Vista with the lighter than air modification and tartan paintwork suddenly stuck in my head....)
crizh
QUOTE (Oenone @ Aug 27 2008, 05:42 PM) *
(Why do I have the image of fleet of Conestoga Vista with the lighter than air modification and tartan paintwork suddenly stuck in my head....)

Just the one for now..

How does 'Haggis Air' sound?
Oenone
I guess having our own air transport would stop people tracking us via plane tickets...

But then we're going to have to smuggle ourselves across borders in a flying bus. Which doesn't seem like the most sneaky way to get between countries! (Does the bus have the Reduced Signal and Ruthenium polymer upgrades too?)
crizh
No just a bunch of fake licenses that say we run custom tours and air-cruises for the super-rich.

I don't think Granny possesses anything that is actually illegal, just restricted with appropriate licenses.

I could always add some smuggling compartments....
Oenone
Probably a good idea, because we have no idea what gear we might need to ship in the future.

And if the compartment is big enough we can also use it as a time out booth for anyone who causes trouble.
DWC
I can't get over the image of a blimp rising up out of Whampoa, surrounded by a swarm of gawking sprawl dwellers.

And yeah, there are at least two PCs walking around with illegal gear that can't be conveniently stashed. Who'd have thought that bone lacing was something you couldn't get a permit for?
crizh
Trouble is that it requires a facility to do and the vehicle would be out of commission for a few days.

I suppose I could always add it to the other bus and send the blimp without it, assuming I can rustle up some Astral Acceleration.

The other option is to send Vice to Seattle with some of the smaller, perfectly legal, drones and make do until the upgrades can be made.

Hmmm, back to the drawing board I think....
crizh
QUOTE (DWC @ Aug 27 2008, 06:04 PM) *
Who'd have thought that bone lacing was something you couldn't get a permit for?

Presumably Plastic Bone Lacing is pretty hard to spot...
DWC
QUOTE (crizh @ Aug 27 2008, 01:16 PM) *
Presumably Plastic Bone Lacing is pretty hard to spot...

I'd imagine it's found using ultrawideband radar, much like ceramic or polymer weapons.

And I don't think anyone who knows him would blame Granny for not wanting to spend 9 days in a blimp with Vice.
crizh
Granny's not planning on going anywhere.

You've only seen her outside of Whampoa about half a dozen times and three of those were in the last week. She's completely terrified of ending up in another research lab...
Oenone
QUOTE (DWC @ Aug 27 2008, 06:42 PM) *
I'd imagine it's found using ultrawideband radar, much like ceramic or polymer weapons.

And I don't think anyone who knows him would blame Granny for not wanting to spend 9 days in a blimp with Vice.

A Cyberware scanner would also pick it up, but then I think they both detect things in the same way. The Ultrawideband is just better at punching the signal through things (but a little less awesome at fine detail I'd suspect).

Edit - And given the general level of crazy in the party I doubt Vice would be the worst person to be stuck with.
DWC
QUOTE (Oenone @ Aug 27 2008, 02:39 PM) *
A Cyberware scanner would also pick it up, but then I think they both detect things in the same way. The Ultrawideband is just better at punching the signal through things (but a little less awesome at fine detail I'd suspect).

Edit - And given the general level of crazy in the party I doubt Vice would be the worst person to be stuck with.

Yep. Definitely need to look into that bone density augmentation bioware as a replacement for bone lacing.

In the grander scale of things his issues are pretty tame in comparison, too.
DWC
QUOTE (crizh @ Aug 27 2008, 01:49 PM) *
Granny's not planning on going anywhere.

You've only seen her outside of Whampoa about half a dozen times and three of those were in the last week. She's completely terrified of ending up in another research lab...

Figured she'd put an end to the hermit days when her health and mobility ceased to be an issue.
cndblank
Yeah, but it has to be very common.

The stuff has been out for what twenty years?

Any former or current military/Law Enforcement/Security personal could have that.

Same goes for Wired 1 for that matter.

QUOTE (DWC @ Aug 27 2008, 12:42 PM) *

crizh
Yeah, but Wired is only [R]estricted. Bone-lacing is flat out illegal.
DWC
I can somewhat understand the legality restriction, since it does make your unarmed attacks into real physical damage. If the law classifies bone lacing as an implanted cyberweapon, I can see it being forbidden.
crizh
It's interesting that almost all the Cyber-guns are only restricted but all of the blades are illegal.
DWC
My guess would be that implanted melee weapons are seen as assassination weapons because they're quiet killing tools, whereas implanted firearms are seen as tools for law enforcement or security firms and have their legality based on the physical guns.

Edit:
Also, an implanted firearm can be disabled by locking out the ammunition feed mechanism, whereas the best you can do with an implanted melee weapon is jam the port it comes out of.
crizh
Blades tend to leave less physical evidence at the scene.

cyber.gif
Tarantula
And more on the person who did it.
crizh
QUOTE (Tarantula @ Aug 27 2008, 09:25 PM) *

grinbig.gif
Ears
QUOTE (Tarantula @ Aug 27 2008, 08:25 PM) *

And with retractable blades it actually becomes 'and more in the person who did it'.
Happy ghoul stabbing times. biggrin.gif
DWC
QUOTE (Ears @ Aug 27 2008, 05:34 PM) *
And with retractable blades it actually becomes 'and more in person who did it'.
Happy times stabbing ghouls with them. biggrin.gif

Either way, it's less messy than caving someone's head in by punching them with a titanium laced fist.
Oenone
QUOTE (DWC @ Aug 27 2008, 10:35 PM) *
Either way, it's less messy than caving someone's head in by punching them with a titanium laced fist.

Which is why you aim for the throat!

I'd generally agree about the blades being illegal. Guns could be rationalised as something discreet bodyguards might employ, while a giant blade is less likely to see legitimate usage.

Granny could invest in a drone with an inbuilt holoprojector. Then she can pretend to leave the house without ever setting foot outside.

Actually.... I can think of a lot of uses for a microdrone with a holoprojector. Especially if you combined it with the little sound decoy drone from Arsenal.
crizh
'Help me Obi-wan. You are my only hope...'
Intro
I was thinking a different work. What you'd have there would be the light bee from Red Dwarf. I wonder how a shadowrunner based on Rimmer would do? That's an idea that I might have to work with.
Oenone
QUOTE (Intro @ Aug 27 2008, 11:36 PM) *
I was thinking a different work. What you'd have there would be the light bee from Red Dwarf. I wonder how a shadowrunner based on Rimmer would do? That's an idea that I might have to work with.

That's a pretty awesome idea. Even if you would be playing an utterly useless character! Although you could probably do a lot of damage by taking one rank in engineering and fixing someones drive plates.

Speaking of random runner ideas, I suddenly have the urge to make a character based on the main character from El Mariachi.
crizh
QUOTE (Intro @ Aug 27 2008, 11:36 PM) *

Ooooooo!

You could put LTA on a micro-drone, plus Improved Economy and Suncell and still have room for a holoprojector.

Dang that could work!

Now, I've got 10k nuyen.gif ......
Oenone
Personally I'd recommend the Ferret for your starting point. Because it has tons of slots and improved sensors as standard.

Although I suspect for this idea you'd need to increase the speed a little, because otherwise it'll be slower than Granny would have been before her leonization....
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Dumpshock Forums © 2001-2012