Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Medication and auto-injectors
Dumpshock Forums > Discussion > Shadowrun
KCKitsune
OK everybody, I've looked though all the books and I can't find anything about good meds to put in a auto-injector. I was wondering if there was a way to get the medication in a Trauma patch into an injectable form.
Rotbart van Dainig
Sure. The patch is just a way to get the stuff into the body.
paws2sky
A trauma patch is what, 500 nuyen.gif? The DMSO patch itself (the normal delivery system) is super-cheap, like 5 or 10 nuyen.gif. So, let's just call it 500 nuyen.gif per dose and be done with it.

I'd price antidote and stimulant injections using the same logic - whatever the normal cost of teh patch would be. I suppose you could also get tranq patches too, but why? biggrin.gif

Don't forget to get a biomonitor so you can self-administer when you collapse bleeding and unconscious.

-paws
Oenone
QUOTE (paws2sky @ Aug 27 2008, 02:37 PM) *
I'd price antidote and stimulant injections using the same logic - whatever the normal cost of teh patch would be. I suppose you could also get tranq patches too, but why? biggrin.gif

For sneaking into someone else's auto-injector of course. wink.gif
paws2sky
Fair enough. Though, I might be more inclined to sneak something more interesting into the auto-injector...

I suppose you could forcibly install an auto-injector and load it up with tranqs to remotely sedate people. *shrug* Seems like a lot of effort to go through though.

-paws
Rasumichin
QUOTE (paws2sky @ Aug 27 2008, 02:37 PM) *
I suppose you could also get tranq patches too, but why? biggrin.gif

Because you're going up against a mage with loads of control manipulations and are a troll sam with WIL :1. grinbig.gif
In that case, your team might want a way to shut you down remotely.
Siege
From a role-play perspective, there are times you need to shut down and sleep but you can't naturally snooze...a pre-loaded tranq isn't a bad idea.

Of course, if someone hacks your biomonitor...ick. grinbig.gif

-Siege
Tarantula
But in those cases, it'd be easy to just take the patch and put it on yourself, no need for it to happen automatically.
BRodda
QUOTE (paws2sky @ Aug 27 2008, 12:06 PM) *
Fair enough. Though, I might be more inclined to sneak something more interesting into the auto-injector...

I suppose you could forcibly install an auto-injector and load it up with tranqs to remotely sedate people. *shrug* Seems like a lot of effort to go through though.

-paws

Not if you know that the bodyguard or sec goons have autoinjectors for Jazz and you replace it with tranqs.

"Runners!!! Jazz up and letzzzzzzzzZZZZzzzzzz"

KCKitsune
QUOTE (paws2sky @ Aug 27 2008, 08:37 AM) *
Don't forget to get a biomonitor so you can self-administer when you collapse bleeding and unconscious.

-paws

Biomonitor only takes one capacity slot in a cyberlimb, and an auto-injector takes zero. A cyberhand has four slots so if you get a biomonitor in a limb it's idiocy NOT to get an auto injector in the same limb. Heck if you have multiple limbs get an injector in each limb... just protect yourself with high Firewall and IC
DocTaotsu
Having a tranq in your autoinjector isn't exactly the worst idea from a roleplaying perspective. I know that if I get lit up I'm going to want some serious pain meds to make the hurt go away (you know, after the fighting is over).

Isn't there a drug that lets you play dead? That might be something handy to put in an autoinjector as well.
Rasumichin
QUOTE (DocTaotsu @ Aug 28 2008, 12:19 AM) *
Isn't there a drug that lets you play dead? That might be something handy to put in an autoinjector as well.

Yeah, it's called slab or Ghulpille.
Completely impossible to notice you're still alive without careful medical examination.
Lasts for a couple hours, though- and knocks you out completely.
Could lead to nasty surprises depending on where you wake up once it wears off.
Rotbart van Dainig
What I'm missing from said Drug is how it affects overflow damage accumulation.
Cain
QUOTE (KCKitsune @ Aug 27 2008, 01:43 PM) *
Biomonitor only takes one capacity slot in a cyberlimb, and an auto-injector takes zero. A cyberhand has four slots so if you get a biomonitor in a limb it's idiocy NOT to get an auto injector in the same limb. Heck if you have multiple limbs get an injector in each limb... just protect yourself with high Firewall and IC

Screw that. Just hardline them to each other, and shut off the wireless. They're unhackable.
KCKitsune
QUOTE (Cain @ Aug 29 2008, 02:23 AM) *
Screw that. Just hardline them to each other, and shut off the wireless. They're unhackable.

You would still have some way to be able to activate the auto-injectors. You could link them to the commlink and then secure the 'Link.

Now here's what I'm thinking of having in my character's Injector: 2 doses of what's in a Trauma Patch, and one dose of each of the following: antidote (rating 6), cram, antibac, and zeta-interferon.
Cain
You would still have some way to be able to activate the auto-injectors. You could link them to the commlink and then secure the 'Link.

I think I didn't make myself clear. Link the biomonitor to the auto-injectors, and shut off the wirelsss. You can't hack them now, and you don't lose the utility of either device.
Tarantula
Doesn't antidote have to be specified for what its an antidote for?
Stahlseele
isn't that a broad-band antidote?
Tarantula
SR4, 330, "Antidote Patch: Add the rating of an antidote patch to any toxin resistance tests (see p. 245) made within 20 minutes after it has been applied (this only applies for toxin the antidote protects against)."

I'd say no.

Rotbart van Dainig
Well, it's a typo for sure: The sence is missing either a 'the' in front of 'toxin' or a 's' after 'toxin'.
Tarantula
Even if it said toxins, it only works on those the antidote patch is for, which is most likely, one.

Also, SR4, 246 "Antidotes
In order to provide protection, antidotes must be taken before a toxin’s effects kick in. An antidote taken afterwards will not diminish the damage caused by the toxin, but may reduce the toxin’s other effects.
Characters with the appropriate medical equipment may synthesize antidotes to a toxin with an appropriate Medicine Test. The gamemaster should set the threshold as appropriate to the rarity and complexity of the toxin. Not that some toxins simply have no effective antidote—particularly neurotoxins.
If a victim has suffered Physical damage overflow from a toxin, then application of the appropriate antidote will automatically stabilize her."

Also lends itself that one antidote per toxin. No mention of any broad antidotes.
Rotbart van Dainig
QUOTE (Tarantula @ Aug 29 2008, 06:30 PM) *
Even if it said toxins, it only works on those the antidote patch is for, which is most likely, one.

Actually, if it said 'toxins', it's at least two. wink.gif
BishopMcQ
SR3 had broad-spectrum antidotes, but they smelled a bit like panacea. I suspect that the Devs wanted something a bit more realistic.

Another aspect with the auto-injectors that I have used is to have them inject the nanites for the Savior med-kit (this was SR3). With a linked bio-monitor and medkit, the kit will wirelessly direct the nanites to repair damage. Sure, you only get the rating of the kit, no First Aid, but if it's the difference between dead and mostly dead, I'll choose mostly dead.
BRodda
QUOTE (BishopMcQ @ Aug 29 2008, 12:50 PM) *
SR3 had broad-spectrum antidotes, but they smelled a bit like panacea. I suspect that the Devs wanted something a bit more realistic.

Another aspect with the auto-injectors that I have used is to have them inject the nanites for the Savior med-kit (this was SR3). With a linked bio-monitor and medkit, the kit will wirelessly direct the nanites to repair damage. Sure, you only get the rating of the kit, no First Aid, but if it's the difference between dead and mostly dead, I'll choose mostly dead.

That isn't even an issue in SR4. Just get an agent with the First-aid and Medicine Profession autosofts. Load it into your comlink. Link the agent to the medkit, autoinjector and biomoniter. You go down and the agent does what it can with the kit and drugs in your autoinjector and biomonitor.

Just pray your comlink isn't hacked.
Rotbart van Dainig
QUOTE (BishopMcQ @ Aug 29 2008, 06:50 PM) *

Well, using a Nano-Biomonitor and a Trauma Control System seems lighter.
Of course, no one could anwwer me what's the internal combination to actually heal damage... perhaps loading an autoinjector with those supplies is.
KCKitsune
QUOTE (BishopMcQ @ Aug 29 2008, 12:50 PM) *

(Sorry for the thread Necro...)

OK everybody, what would it cost to get the nanites from a Savior med-kit into an injectable form to load up in your auto-injector.
BishopMcQ
It was less than 30 days old, you are forgiven for Thread Necromancy.

The cost I used was for refills. Usually a medkit can get more than one use before needing to be re-stocked. Because the nanites were injected and there was no uptake system afterwards like a nanite hive, I presume they self-metabolized and passed through the body.
Rotbart van Dainig
There's a cost for the Savior Supplies in Augmentation.
psychophipps
Your best bet, in all honesty, is to create a sump to an aorta. This way you can just plug a needle with a hookup to your auto-injector and get your goodies straight to about anywhere. Hell, you could place two sumps for the upper and lower depending on where you wnat the drugs to go. Basic equipment for military and/or high-end CorpSec?

I think so...
KCKitsune
So if I have a character with a cyberhand with a auto-injector and biomonitor, and have a commlink with an agent and the first aid/medical profession autosoft to run on it; could I have the equivalent to a Savior Medical kit built in?
BishopMcQ
Sounds like it to me. (Then load the agent into the hand and disable the wireless functionality on all of those items...)
KCKitsune
QUOTE (BishopMcQ @ Aug 31 2008, 06:13 PM) *
Sounds like it to me. (Then load the agent into the hand and disable the wireless functionality on all of those items...)

The commlink is in the hand as well. The 'Link has Response 5, System 5, Firewall 6, and Stealth 5. Run it in hidden mode and the damn thing is almost invisible.
Rotbart van Dainig
QUOTE (KCKitsune @ Sep 1 2008, 01:08 AM) *
So if I have a character with a cyberhand with a auto-injector and biomonitor, and have a commlink with an agent and the first aid/medical profession autosoft to run on it; could I have the equivalent to a Savior Medical kit built in?

Actually, your Biomonitor already is an 'expert medical system' - and it has a Device Rating, too.
psychophipps
To be honest, you probably don't want an auto-medic system being too common due to the fact of potential errors. The sumps are good and make a medic's job easier, but going with some super-fly, hoodie-ha expert system just adds complexity to the situation that it doesn't need with constant updates, patches, and the system potentially firing up drugs that will only make the medics job harder to do. Simple tasks like hyper coagulants for serious bleeding wounds, alerting the medic to an injury, etc are good but you don't need an auto-medic arguing with your living, breathing medic while he's trying to do his job, either.
Rotbart van Dainig
QUOTE (psychophipps @ Sep 1 2008, 02:45 PM) *
To be honest, you probably don't want an auto-medic system being too common due to the fact of potential errors.

But that's what normal Shadowrun Medkits are, especially Savior Medkits.
And a auto-medic system configured just for you is better than that.

But that's beside the point - which is having something to keep you alive in the absence of a medic.
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Dumpshock Forums © 2001-2012