Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: How do you actually pronounce Tir Tairngire?
Dumpshock Forums > Discussion > Shadowrun
KarolTomoki
I'm amazed by the fact that nobody ever started any discussion on this topic.

Not that I use Tir for the first time in my campaign, but I finally had to ask.

My version is "Tir Te:rngir" (e: being long "e", like "ai" in French), and I'm using hard "r", not like in English.
Tanka
Teer Tear-in-jir/Teer Tear-in-gire

Depends on what mood I'm in or something. I'm pretty sure one of them is correct, in terms of the myths of the Celts.
Ol' Scratch
There's several different ways to pronounce it depending on what dialect you want to use, but two of the most popular ways are "Tear Tan-Gear" and "Tear Tearn-Geer-Ay."
GunnerJ
"teer tur-anj"

Yes, I know it's wildly out of sync with the real word. I never bothered to look at it closely before...
KarolTomoki
Can you quote any source material (not nessecarily SR), linguistic stuff etc.?

So that's in Irish, right? I always thought it's in Sperethiel.
Ol' Scratch
Yes, both it and Tir na n'Og are "real" places from Celtic/Irish mythology.
Velocity
First of all, THANK YOU for asking this question... been bugging me since I satrted playing this $#&@# game. mad.gif

Personally, I always pronounced the "g" as a hard "g," as in girl, grip, gale, gallop, etc. It never even occured to me to try a soft "g" but I think that sounds even better.
KarolTomoki
Doctor Funkenstein: Where do you have this knowledge from?
Ol' Scratch
An Irish grandmother and growing up hearing stories about it all the time?
KarolTomoki
That sounds credible. smile.gif Thanks, it was no flame intended.
kevyn668
I'll back Dr. Funk. Though I've only heard of Tir na n'Og.
Tanka
Both are in the mythology. If you Google it, I'm sure you'll get plenty of hits.
Ancient History
The good Doctor is correct.

Tec'nic'ly, you would put this under "Gaelic-Sperethiel." The thing is, as gone into in much greater detail by Arcanum V and the like in the Old FOrums, Sperethiel is equal parts "that sounds cool" and Gaelic.
Shinobi Killfist
in game I now take the easy way out one's Tir Egg Nog the other is Tir Tangerine, but I mock the elven homelands.

Tanka
Technically, I mentioned the relation to Celtic mythology first, but who's counting, neh? biggrin.gif
Cray74
QUOTE (KarolTomoki)
I'm amazed by the fact that nobody ever started any discussion on this topic.

Not that I use Tir for the first time in my campaign, but I finally had to ask.

My version is "Tir Te:rngir" (e: being long "e", like "ai" in French), and I'm using hard "r", not like in English.

I always kinda pronounced Tir Tairngire as "Elf Naziland" after I came up with a defensible conspiracy theory blaming Immortal Elves for the disintegration of the US (I figure they played both sides of the Great Ghost Dance), but I might be a bit biased, so my pronounciation may be non-standard. wink.gif
Kurukami
Teer Teh-urn-gyre.
Ancient History
"Ehranland"
Sunday_Gamer
Pronounced: Elfie-land

Sunday.
Diesel
"Teer Tan-ger-rine". Like the fruit. I can't prounounce the fucker. Bastard elves.
snowRaven
'Tcheer Thaernkir' (th as in 'thick', hard 'r') closest approx. from gaelic dictionary and pronounciation guides.

'Tcheer na-nok' or 'Tcheer na-en-ok' for Tir na-n'Og.

'Tcheeachtaere' for Teachdaire.

Note that these are all approximates from actual gaelic. I'm no expert though upsidedown.gif
Ol' Scratch
I don't know of a single instance where a G is sounded as a K. The only time that sound comes up that I know of is with CH, as in "Loch," or CHD, which sounds sort of like "chick" without the I. I also have no clue how you're turning T into TCH. That sound usually only comes up with the letter D, and usually only when it's used at the end of a word.

Tir na n'Og is usually pronounced "Tear na Nogue" with a hard O and soft G as in "rogue."
Ancient History
I have seen variations of Tir na nOg spelled as Tir na noc and the like. I'm afraid I know nothing of gaelic to confirm if this is an actual representation of how it's supposed to sound, however.
Austere Emancipator
I'm beginning to think an introductory course to phonemic (and phonetic) transcription should be compulsory to everyone...
When I try to sound American, I pronounce Tir Tairngire as
/tir tErngaIr/
Where /i/ is the tense "ee" sound, as in <city>
/E/ is like the first <e> in <member>
/aI/ is the diphthong found in <knife> <ripe> <site>

[Edit]Oops, "gyre" ain't pronounced anything like I thought it was! biggrin.gif
Better think of <gire> as <fire> with a <g>... That gives us:
Tear(liquid coming from an eye) Tear(to rip something)n-gire

The transcription remains the same, unless you are British, in which case it'd be
/ti& te&ngaI&/
Where /e/ is like the first <e> in a british <member>
/aI&/ is the triphthong found in <fire> <dire> etc.
/i&/ and /e&/ are centring diphthongs, I have no idea where you'd find one in British English, if they even exist...
Bloody non-rhotic buggers. nyahnyah.gif[/Edit]
Raptor1033
my group and i have always pronounced it teer tearnjeer
Ancient History
Hey, AE, are you taking regional dialects into account? Lord knows they vary more than written text from place to place. Even in Brittania.
Ol' Scratch
Err, Austere, AI only sounds like an I when used near the end of the word. At the beginning, it's pronouned as A. You've made a few other assumptions/mistakes along those lines, too. Like I said in my first post, "Teer Tan-Gear" is probably the most 'correct' way of saying it formally, but there are many variants based upon who's talking. (And people bitch about English's weird rules.) biggrin.gif

When it comes down to it, just pronounce it however the hell you want. biggrin.gif I actually find myself pronouncing it "Teer Taern-Gear."
Fresno Bob
I pronounce Tir Na Nog as Teer Nah No, but thats only cause there was a TV show on FOX a long while ago called Mystic Knights of Tir Na Nog, and thats how they pronounced it.
Seidaku
Well, a quick search revealed the following:

Hear it here.
Austere Emancipator
QUOTE (Doctor Funkenstein)
Err, Austere, AI only sounds like an I when used near the end of the word. At the beginning, it's pronouned as A.

/E/ does not sound like I. I can't think of any instances where it does, though I'm sure there are a few (English phonetics is quite fucked up, after all). Like I said, it's like the first <e> in <member> /mEmb&r/, where /&r/ is the vowel (approximant?) sound that also occurs in <bird> /b&rd/ and <turd> /t&rd/

QUOTE (Ancient History)
Hey, AE, are you taking regional dialects into account? Lord knows they vary more than written text from place to place. Even in Brittania.

Nope. I only gave General American and Received Pronunciation versions of how I personally pronounce it when I try to sound American or British. I won't bother trying to sound like a speaker of any other dialect, there's no way I could pull it off anyway.
KarolTomoki
QUOTE (Seidaku)
Well, a quick search revealed the following:

Hear it here.

Thanks, Seidaku! And that's exactly like Doctor Funk said, except that "Tir" is prononounced somewhat more like "chir".

Thanks for that link!

So we stopped at the "Chir Tan-Gear" with the hard 'r's (arse?) version, didn't we? biggrin.gif

It's fun to read all that interpretations. How fucked up a language can be...
Austere Emancipator
Finally got around to dloading that .wav
It's not absolutely clear, but it sounds like /tshir tengir/, Cheer Ten-Gear with tremulant (hard) /r/s. It's really hard to say whether there's an approximant (soft) /r/ in <Tairn> /ten/ based on that, and the /r/ in <Tir> /tshir/ might in fact be approximant (soft).

Maybe gaelic produces tremulant (hard) /r/s when there's a break after the sound, but approximant (soft) /r/s in all other positions? That'd make it /tshir terngir/, with the first two /r/s being approximant (soft), and the last being tremulant (hard) if there's a break after, approximant (soft) otherwise. This is a pure guess based on one hasty, low-quality speech .wav by an amateur phonologists who's just finished Introduction to Phonology, and shouldn't be considered anything else. Just wondering...
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Dumpshock Forums © 2001-2012