Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: MiracleShooterâ„¢
Dumpshock Forums > Discussion > Shadowrun
FlashbackJon
I have a tendency to stock up on flavor items for my characters, and this one recently came to my attention again. After all, if I'm a WoWhead in today's world, it's reasonable to assume that my nerdy 2070 counterpart also has his specific poison.

If I understand it correctly, players get "equipped" with AR items and running around "shooting" other players out in the real world. Essentially using real skills to fake combat.

It strikes that this would be insanely interesting as (a) a diversion for runners during their downtime, or (b) the subject of an entire campaign.

Has anyone ever run a game/session/campaign of MiracleShooterâ„¢ for their players?
ArkonC
My previous character was a firearm adept with a lifetime subscription to MiracleShooter...
So I sold the other players on the idea, we entered a tournament with fake SINs and had a blast...
It was all the fun of tactical combat with none of the dieing...
CanRay
Until you run away from the SMG burst from one of Red Team, and into a busy street.
paws2sky
MiracleShooter is a fun game until some Reality Impaired chiphead gets a hold of real Manhunter and starts putting real holes in people.

Hmm... What if people started modding the client software to give you a simsense-based "sting" when you're hit... And what if some bastardly hacker further modded it to Blackhammer or Blackout people...

-paws
musing...
CanRay
Now I'm reminded of the first chapter of 2XS, where Dirk complained about some Chiphead that slotted one too many "Slade the Sniper" Sims and decided to open up on a crowd with his Streetline Special...
Ed_209a
It seems to me that typical street sams playing Miracle Shooter would be like playing Quake with an aimbot, _and_ being on Cable/DSL when everyone else is on dial up.

That said, all the sammies and gunbunnies in my last game were players. smile.gif
HappyDaze
It strikes that this would be insanely interesting as (a) a diversion for runners during their downtime, or (b) the subject of an entire campaign.

I really can't see playing this in public areas being legal considering how many problems could crop up. If nothing else, l;ots of edgy folk might get nervous from your erratic and anxious movement and mistake you for a threat - it's not like trigger-happy people are at all uncommon in SR.
Fuchs
We've had a "Miracle Shooter special event" in our campaign, a cross-promotion event for a simsense-movie, the game and a new luxury hotel. And then a runner team (NPCs) tried to use the occasion to extract a programmer.
FlashbackJon
QUOTE (CanRay @ Sep 10 2008, 09:42 AM) *
Until you run away from the SMG burst from one of Red Team, and into a busy street.

Isn't that almost exactly what the fluff text mentions? biggrin.gif

QUOTE (HappyDaze @ Sep 10 2008, 10:49 AM) *
I really can't see playing this in public areas being legal considering how many problems could crop up. If nothing else, l;ots of edgy folk might get nervous from your erratic and anxious movement and mistake you for a threat - it's not like trigger-happy people are at all uncommon in SR.

Now this is an interesting point. The text implies that it's intended played out in the world, likely in public places - but that doesn't necessarily mean it's legal. What if players play it "under the radar" not unlike the quasi-legal urban Gotcha!/Assassin paintball games from the 80s?

Makes me wonder - what sort of management does the company that runs Miracle provide?
Fuchs
It's Ares. I think it's legal, just with the "play at your own risk, we're not liable if you run into traffic" disclaimer, followed by some massive "Are you chicken, or a shooter" ad campaign.
Heath Robinson
I'll repeat what I was told by my GM on why a lot of runners don't play MiracleShooter. "One day you'll go for the gun and draw your Pred instead."
Tarantula
No reason you couldn't just have AR gloves and draw a virtual gun from a virtual holster.
FlashbackJon
QUOTE (Tarantula @ Sep 10 2008, 01:24 PM) *
No reason you couldn't just have AR gloves and draw a virtual gun from a virtual holster.

In fact, I was thinking it wouldn't be unreasonable for the game to confirm that actually had nothing in your hands - but that doesn't stop you from legitimately busting a cap - it just stops it from registering in the game. biggrin.gif

Otherwise, just run around with a perfectly legal SuperSquirt with Pepper Punch in it pretending it's your fake gun. Incapacitate players AND rank on the leaderboard.
sunnyside
Traditionally I start newer groups in a simsense fight so they can get a feeling that unlike whetever they were playing last week, Shadowrun is tactical and one shot kills happen a lot. Though the system was much more tactical in previous editions.

However now I think I may have a bit where a shooter seems to pull on the players while they're in public, then roll for initiative. I'm curious if their brains will engage and ask questions or if Star will end up getting called to bring a couple body bags to pick up little Suzy.

jago668
QUOTE (paws2sky @ Sep 10 2008, 09:43 AM) *
MiracleShooter is a fun game until some Reality Impaired chiphead gets a hold of real Manhunter and starts putting real holes in people.

Hmm... What if people started modding the client software to give you a simsense-based "sting" when you're hit... And what if some bastardly hacker further modded it to Blackhammer or Blackout people...

-paws
musing...

Well since it is AR and not VR you should be fine. They could frag your commlink, but that would be it. However, a techno on the other hand...
CanRay
A Techno in MiracleShooter...

"HAX!!! HAX!!! You can't shoot that fast with a single-shot! HAX!!!"
Casper
Ever see Gotcha
MJBurrage
I love Gotcha!. Good example of a person becoming a runner. And you have the hot girl going for the "nerdy" guy instead of the "cool" one.

It's also got a fun mix of the game Killer (which we played in high school with water guns), and "real life" gun play.
Heath Robinson
QUOTE (Tarantula @ Sep 10 2008, 07:24 PM) *

Which is exactly the same sequence of actions (from your perspective, at least) as drawing your real gun (you're a 'runner, you're carrying). One day you'll see a MiracleShooter target and go for the AR gun but you'll get your reflexes crosswired somehow and draw your real gun. Then some innocent person is dead, the Star has arrested you and you're going to disappear. Forever.
HappyDaze
Then some innocent person is dead, the Star has arrested you and you're going to disappear. Forever.

Right, becasue the Star is just sooo good at catching every perp that commits a violent crime, especially those with skills and connections specifically aimed at evading capture.
Tarantula
No reason miracle shooter couldn't/wouldn't put up a warning big in your face of "WARNING! REAL WEAPON EQUIPPED!"
hyzmarca
Miracle Shooter firearms mixups are just good clean fun. I imagine that a large number of shadowrunners get started that way.
Phantom Gett
QUOTE (CanRay @ Sep 10 2008, 02:08 PM) *
A Techno in MiracleShooter...

"HAX!!! HAX!!! You can't shoot that fast with a single-shot! HAX!!!"

Sounds like an annoying 12-year-old on Halo now! (Or annoying people on Shadowrun (360/Vista) But, that sounds kinda funny.
CanRay
QUOTE (Phantom Gett @ Sep 10 2008, 06:44 PM) *
Sounds like an annoying 12-year-old on Halo now! (Or annoying people on Shadowrun (360/Vista) But, that sounds kinda funny.

Then I nailed it spot on. biggrin.gif
Heath Robinson
QUOTE (HappyDaze @ Sep 10 2008, 10:40 PM) *
Right, becasue the Star is just sooo good at catching every perp that commits a violent crime, especially those with skills and connections specifically aimed at evading capture.

Some of us make use of particular literary devices that may overstate certain factors to create additional emphasis. Many humans are equipped to detect such usage, it seems that you are not.

QUOTE (Tarantula @ Sep 10 2008, 10:44 PM) *
No reason miracle shooter couldn't/wouldn't put up a warning big in your face of "WARNING! REAL WEAPON EQUIPPED!"

Creating a heuristic for detecting real world weapon use is a complex subject. You have to define an algorithm to detect weapons, an algorithm to detect hands, and an algorithm to detect alignments of hands and weapons that imply intent to use. There will be many gaps in the algorithm, and Shadowrunners will inevitably hit these somewhere along the line.

A Shadowrunner is not in a line of work that accidentally exposes them to unusual circumstances. Their line of work intentionally exposes them to unusual circumstances.
hyzmarca
Actually, smartlinks wort pretty well. Use a smartlinked AR gun for miracle shooter and a smartlinked regular pistol for pistoling people in their pistol spots.
HappyDaze
Some of us make use of particular literary devices that may overstate certain factors to create additional emphasis. Many humans are equipped to detect such usage, it seems that you are not.
nyahnyah.gif
Blog
Technomancer with Decoy widgets ^.^
TKDNinjaInBlack
Someone had mentioned Gotcha!. I loved that movie growing up. It was part of the reason I organized a huge NERF version on my campus a couple years back (with the Maverick Craze). Everybody had target cards and schedules of classes and dorm numbers and info on their targets and everything. The day we started the game was the day of the Virginia Tech Shootings, so needless to say to avoid poor taste and horrible repercussions we stopped the game before any target could be "killed."
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Dumpshock Forums © 2001-2012