Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: hatchetman
Dumpshock Forums > Discussion > Shadowrun
fourstring_samurai
I'm particularly fond of the story style that the cybertechnology sourcebook had. is their anymore info on what happened to hatchetman after he joined team cyber zombie? I'm fairly up to date on the sourcebooks, but don't own SOTA. Also, i know of a ccg card titled "hatchetman 2057" but i've never gotten the chance to see it.

any info is much appreciated.

Ancient History
Given the general life span of a cyberzombie, Hatchetman is likely dead.
Hero
From some of the novels a read that had Hatchetman, he one grade A bad ass you did not piss off. But yah, after the Cybermancy procedure he went through, I say he would not last long unless there is something canon that says other wise.
fourstring_samurai
what novels had hatchetman in them?
snowRaven
The post-op Hatchetman trading card shows a crazy-looking guy with four cyberarms - you can see the picture in part on the back of Man&Machine. The pic at the bottom is ol'Hatchetman.
Kagetenshi
Speaking of cyberpsychotics, whatever happened to Kid Stealth?

~J
toturi
Last I heard was that he took some MAJOR damage... Let me see... Terminus Experiment.
Ancient History
toturi: I don't think so. Check again and make sure.
toturi
Unless he cameo-ed after Terminus, I'm sure he almost bought the big one.

p102 of Terminus -
"... After what happened to Kid Stealth, we are up to our necks in this thing."
De Vries nodded. "Will he pull through?"
Ancient History
Huh. Brain must have died that I missed that, in the limo with Wolf, yaar.
The Grifter
If Hatchetman is as bad ass as he's made out to be, I doubt he's dead. The fact he's psychotic aside, he's been around awhile, assuming what I've put together from various sources is correct. So I'd say he's probably still lurking around out there somewhere.
Siege
Be as bad-ass as you like, be the coldest, nastiest killer on the planet and you still have to accept the laws of physics.

A bad attitude isn't enough to keep your blood flowing after your heart has been ripped out.

It won't stop the bullets from shredding your meat corpse (sorry, trademark from "Fullborgs R Us")

Unfortunately, as slick as Hatchet was, barring any changes or upgrades in cyberzombie tech, his life expectancy is no greater than any other lab rat in the project.

-Siege
toturi
Negative on that Siege. If you read the M & M rules for CZs, you'll see that the key factor in life expectancy of a CZ is Willpower.

An initial Willpower of 9 or more before he became a CZ (he's a human but he could have the Exceptional Attribute: Willpower edge) would significantly increase one's life expectancy.
Siege
It's still a terminal condition -- just because he lives a couple of hours longer than the less-Willed fellow doesn't count for too terribly much.

However, I will concede the point that it's possible for him to still be alive. Not likely, but possible.

-Siege

toturi
The CZ has 2 long term effects: chronic dissociation syndrome and cancer.

In CDS table, if the CZ has only -0.5 Essense, he makes a check once every 6 months at a TN of 3! With potentially more than 6 Willpower, I think he should make the roll.

Cancer is rolled at the time of the CZ operation. If he passes, he passes. No cancer.

No other long term stuff to worry about, other then remembering to top up the cocktail once in a while.
Siege
QUOTE (toturi)
The CZ has 2 long term effects: chronic dissociation syndrome and cancer.

In CDS table, if the CZ has only -0.5 Essense, he makes a check once every 6 months at a TN of 3! With potentially more than 6 Willpower, I think he should make the roll.

Cancer is rolled at the time of the CZ operation. If he passes, he passes. No cancer.

No other long term stuff to worry about, other then remembering to top up the cocktail once in a while.

That begs an interesting question -- what's the average essence of a cyberzombie?

-Siege
toturi
At delta level, the amount of implants are doubled. Therefore, at -1.5, he'll have a whooping 15 essense points worth implants in him. And the TN is at 5 at every 6 months. With symbiotes and a high Body, against a TN of 3 (double absolute essense rating of -1.5) with 2D6, I think it is almost impossible to get that cancer.

I think the only hang up is the initial cybermantic test TN of 8, which may cause some trouble.
Liquid_Obsidian
Siege: it all depend , i merelly divide the CZ in my world into four classes:

- God knows how a GM let runners have their filthy hands on this kinda stuff
Trought some weird time/space tunnels they come to the street and are "light" cyber zombies
E: -0.00001 to -2

-Corporatist "all around" strike force
I know , managing to put CZ and "all around" in the same sentence is a quind of art but those badd asses protects some top knoch zones and buildings , they are mainteined on site
E: -1 to -4 Some beta and maybe some delta

-Corporatist Heavy response we gonna blow your ass CZ
Those are built on demand or very heavy/hard to maintain CZ , rarelly used by corps (read burn out here...) for very specific and or very important missions
E: -2 to -too mutch

-Mil Spec CZ
You don't even WANT to know...
E: what did i JUST said !?!?

I don't use average essence for CZ , just as pieces of art each one is unique...

Q: Do you ever use CZ in "regular" gaming parties ?
Q: Who , for god's sake, let's his PC get their hand on Cybermancy ?
Kagetenshi
I let them. I'll be surprised if I ever have to more than once.

~J
Moonstone Spider
Here's a question, can a Cyber Zombie also be awakened, assuming a high number of initiations before Zombiedom?

After all, magic goes down by 1 for each essence point lost, a CZ with -2 essence and 3 initiations would have magic 1 by those rules. Or would this be unreasonable, should all magic vanish when essence reaches 0?
Nath
QUOTE (Moonstone Spider)
Here's a question, can a Cyber Zombie also be awakened, assuming a high number of initiations before Zombiedom?

After all, magic goes down by 1 for each essence point lost, a CZ with -2 essence and 3 initiations would have magic 1 by those rules. Or would this be unreasonable, should all magic vanish when essence reaches 0?

The rules states that "their negative Essence and the Cybermantic ritual" prevent the CZ from performing Magic. Initiation can do something about the Essence effect, but not about the ritual (about which we know little). Then there's a difference between "being awakened" and "performing magic"...
toturi
I think it would be more of a "Do I want my CZ to last long and be operationally ready 24/7 or is it a Powerful but I've have to cryo-freeze it after every op zombie"?

A op-ready zombie would have an essense of not less(or more, depends on how you look at it) than -2. Such a rapid-reaction/deployment CZ is useful in that it is slightly less maintanence intensive than a CZ with less than -2 essense.

A CZ with less than -2 essense is very resource intensive even for a AAA. Imagine not only must you counter the drain for the ritual, the TN for success is also significantly higher. Also the risk of cancer is much higher, as well as the CZ's willpower starts to drop the more his essense drops less than -2.

So for me a cost-effective CZ would have an essense of -2 or slightly more with an initial Willpower of 6(-1.5 to -2).
Mongoose
From what I can tell, it is possible (fairly easy, in fact) to reduce a person to exactly zero essence. {Vampires do this particulalry effectivley.} That will kill them unless you do a cybermantic ritual.

So you do it, dropping the newly required cyberware (IMS, AutoInjector, whatever) into a handy essence slot. {Vampiric victims have nice big essence slots.}

Gee, a Cyberzomby with 0 essence. Hmm, lets compute thier various test TN's and drawbacks... doesn't seem to be any!

And thier nescessary drug reatments cost how much? Gosh, they are FREE!

{Gee, are there any vampires out there who work with Cybermancy?}

That's right kids, you to can be a dual natured samurai, and still keep you mind and immune system (mostly) intact, with no expensive drugs required to live out a normal (un)natrual lifespan! You won't even create a noticable background count!

Order today, and we will include a free chip copy of "Aura Reading for Dummies", allowing you to enjoy the visual wonders of the Astral Plane as soon as you recover!

Herald of Verjigorm
And why is that better than a normal guy with .01 essense and none of it wasted on IMS (.25 or as low as .125) and specialty life support (.1 or as low as .05)? Looks like you just wasted .165 (or as much as .34) worth of essense for the sole purpose of being a cyberzombie with minimal side effects.
fourstring_samurai
i've looked and I still have no clue as to what novels had hatch in them. i wasn't aware he was in any, actually.
Kagetenshi
Well, apparently he's in Terminus...

~J

Edit: I'm getting my cyberpsychotics mixed up. A cautionary tale: don't post on too little sleep!
Ancient History
He wasn't in any novels. I think his first appearence was in theStreet Samurai Catalogue.
Tanka
He probably wasn't in any novels, but might've been either refered to or mentioned.
fourstring_samurai
thats what i thought. smile.gif

thanks!
Mongoose
QUOTE (Herald of Verjigorm)
And why is that better than a normal guy with .01 essense and none of it wasted on IMS (.25 or as low as .125) and specialty life support (.1 or as low as .05)? Looks like you just wasted .165 (or as much as .34) worth of essense for the sole purpose of being a cyberzombie with minimal side effects.

Yep, that's exactly what you get with a 0 (non negative) essence cyberzombie- a normal old samurai with a bit of essence "wasted" on a couple non-combat systems.
But hey, chances are most of his cyber was (re)implanted in a delta clinic, so its essence cost is gonna be pretty low. You can do a lot with 5.5e worth of well implanted beta and delta level cyber.

But what you really are doing is creating a dual natured samurai- somebody who has capabilities no normal mundae would have. Most people see the fact that cyberzombies are dual natured as a drawback, but for certain types it could be an advantage. In any case, its certainly better than dying from a vampire attack.
toturi
dual nature and astral hazing are SURGE Flaws. I think you should easily convince your GM to give them to you if you do not ask for any Edges in return.

A "live" Sam with 0.01 Essense and the above Flaws would be doing better than a CZ anyday.
Tanka
QUOTE (toturi)
dual nature and astral hazing are SURGE Flaws. I think you should easily convince your GM to give them to you if you do not ask for any Edges in return.

A "live" Sam with 0.01 Essense and the above Flaws would be doing better than a CZ anyday.

Indeed. Plus they don't suffer from CDS as much as a CZ does.

Also: You forget that you don't regain Essence. You just have a hole there that would fit something that would go there.

Example: You get your Cybereyes taken out. You now have a hole worth .3 Essence that only applies to eye cyberware. You don't magically regain the .3 from the Cybereyes, you just don't have to reuse the Essence for a spot that previously had cyberware.
toturi
Not necessarily.

Given the advanced surgery rules concerning essense slots, there may be a case for replacing the broken cyber-eye but taking out your wired 3 and putting in something else is a lot different.
Eindrachen
Regarding vampires involved in cybermancy, you might should know that there actually are a few who seem to be in the mix.

The shadowtalk in CT between the two annonymous sources indicates that among the big players into cybermancy, a few vampires, strangely enough, are helping with the research. The Cabal and Aztechnology both seem to have some vamps helping out, in some way or another. I think; it's been a long time, and I can't recall the details off the top of my head...
Mongoose
I shuld have used the "<irony>" tag. I was fully aware of the existance of Ordo Maximus.
Ordo Maximums vampires would likely be Initiaites. Intiates can have the metamagic technique of "possesion". Cyberzomby samurai with 0 essence make dandy vessles for possesion, and are easier to escape from than those with even lower essence.
So yeah, the zero essence zombie is kinda pointless from the players perspective. I wasn't asking my GM to make me one to play, OR to give my character the "dual nature" surge flaw (which is damn unlikely for somebody with .0X essence). But maybe they would be being made for SOMEBODY ELSES benefit?
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Dumpshock Forums © 2001-2012